Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist

Xeltos posted:

It's really nice to see threads like this. I am currently a senior illustration major at Ringling. We actually have a portfolio class geared to stuff like career advice and resumes and all that junk, so I'll be sure to pass on any useful information I get to you guys.

They're not still making you put together a portfolio box, are they? I busted my rear end putting one together and it never saw the light of day because, hey, no one uses them anymore! I think the most valuable thing I got out of that class was the GAG handbook I bought for it.

quote:

I was wondering what the general consensus was on how many pieces to put in a portfolio website. I know a real physical portfolio should have around 15 pieces, but forgot to ask about Web Portfolios.

I say less is more when it comes to online portfolios. A lot of people seem to think that, because bandwidth is cheap, they'll just throw up every piece they've ever done. A potential client is going to be much more likely to move on from a website than if they were meeting you in person, so you need to make sure they see the best of the best.

My own site has just eight pieces on the front page. I have a sketchbook link for older work, roughs, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU