Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Satellite
Aug 31, 2001

your kiss goes everywhere
Alright, I've got a dilema and I hope this thread can provide some insight for me.

Long story short, I attended a private, for-profit college that I dropped out of after attending for 2 and a half years since I was dissatisfied with the breadth of courses and how lovely the instructors were. After hunting for a new school and getting my earned credits turned away because my college was nationally accredited (as opposed to regionally), I found myself with a shitload of useless credits, a lot of debt, and time wasted. The college I attended went out of business shortly thereafter so I couldn't even try to re-enroll to complete my degree. Lesson learned.

At this point, I'm looking to enhance what P-Shop/Illustrator/Flash skills I do have, but I also want to learn more After Effects, motion graphics, and any other digital design software considered to be industry standard. I already work in the administrative field in entertainment, so I kind of have an "in" for a job if needs be. But with my full-time job and LA traffic, I need to attend online classes and start all over as a Freshman.

With that, I've been looking into SCAD's online courses for a BA for Digital Media with concentration in Interactive Design. Tuition looks spendy, but I am beside myself with excitement when I look at their class catalogs. Does anyone have any experience with SCAD's distance learning program? I'm also looking into the Academy of Art - San Francisco's online course for a BA in New Media. Any input on the quality of either school's online courses?

I'm focusing on online art schools because I can't think of any local colleges that offer any online classes besides GE, and I really want to get into the core classes ASAP. Are there any other alternatives?

I've been dwelling on this for a couple of years now, whether or not I have what it takes to thrive in an online art school while maintaining a full-time job. Has anyone else been in this situation, or can advise me on whether or not this is worth persuing so late in my life? I'm about to hit my salary cap in my administrative job and I'm EXTREMELY dissatisfied with the clerical life. I'm looking for a creative change.

In short: oh my god am I doing the right thing?

Satellite fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU