Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
I wonder how much users register because of this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

*raises hand*

Well, for this and the Fate/Stay Night LP.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Guilty as charged. I would prefer execution by Kohran experimentation than by Kanna, Your Honor.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

I did. And as a proud member of the pro-Kanna faction, I stand by my decision.

lishan1988
Mar 19, 2009

Including myself.. i think quite a large number of people registered because of SA's genius. Hopefully later posts have more blushing Maria, feeling which we should have more murderous Iris

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

That makes a lot of us.
Ok, this is only one reason, but it was a major part of it.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

lishan1988 posted:

Including myself.. i think quite a large number of people registered because of SA's genius. Hopefully later posts have more blushing Maria, feeling which we should have more murderous Iris

NEVER mention Iris' parents in front of her. Sakura found out the hard way.

vvvv EDIT: It's from the TV-series. It strayed pretty far from the games, but I like it the way it is. A 10 year old psychic who talks to her teddy bear SHOULD be scary. Iris' relationship with her parents is pretty hosed up, in the anime at least. vvvvv

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jun 21, 2009

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Thats from the anime? How screwed up are we talking with regards to her family here?
We need more Iris killing people with her mind!

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Iris doesn't mind talking about writing to her parents at all when chatting with Ogami. Then with the stuff in ST2, she seems to get along with her parents just fine. The TV series just completely fails at proper characterizations.

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Love, Justice, and Mid-Season Upgrades Steam-Powered Robots.
[Ogami]

I think I'll ride on a boat with Yuri-kun now. Is that alright?

----
[Yuri]

... is that supposed to be a rhetorical question? I'm the only one LEFT.

[Ogami]

HELL yeah! New world record!!

[Yuri]

Oh, yeah, that's GREAT. I bet you're just- wait, what happened to Kasumi? And why is Tsubaki curled up in a fetal position?

[Tsubaki]

O-Oh god, I-I-I-I can see everyone's house f-f-from up here. EVERYONE'S houses.

[Ogami]

Kasumi? She might've been mildly concussed, though I'm sure this has nothing to do with the fact that I kicked off of her to get a running start. And whatever's wrong with Tsubaki, it's totally not my fault. Now are we doing this thing or not?

----

[Yuri]

It's not like I wouldn't be able to do this with anyone else.
You see, it's- it's because of, you know, that. It's just because I think that guys are better at rowing boats.

[Ogami]

Hahaha... that's alright, too. Well, let's get going, Yuri-kun.

Why IS it always the girls who look flustered in these kinds of pictures?

[Yuri]

... I'll say it again- don't get the wrong idea. There wasn't any other recourse, that's all!
There weren't any small boats left... the only ones left were these large ones that we BOTH have to row.
If it weren't for that... we wouldn't be sitting next to each other and rowing like this, okay?

----
[Ogami]

Well, no, you'd have been sitting across from me, and I'D have been the one doing all the rowing. Also, it wouldn't really have been very romantic at all.

[Yuri]

Who said anything about this event being romantic? I just wanted a free ride around the lake, not a freakin' marathon!

[Ogami]

... wait, then why the hell are you blushing?

[Yuri]

BECAUSE YOU FORCED ME TO RUN ALL THE WAY ACROSS THE PARK!!

[Ogami]

Ooh. ... oh, wow, I keep forgetting that you're not, like, some sort of super-buff superhuman woman-thing.

----

[Ogami]

Hahahahaha... I got it. But it's been a while since I've been in a boat. Not since I was being drilled in the navy.

[Yuri]

Come to think of it, Ogami-san, you were an ensign in the navy, weren't you. Why did you transfer to the Assault Force?

[Ogami]

Aah, I received a notice of personnel change because of a special mission. What about it?

[Yuri]

Because even though you've been fighting desperately up until now, just one loss has unraveled all that you've done...

[Ogami]

Eh...?

----
[Ogami]

... I'm going to have to object to that whole "unraveled everything we've done" thing.

[Yuri]

Well, we're all horribly hosed, aren't we?

[Ogami]

Look, when HAVEN'T we been horribly hosed?

[Yuri]

... I suppose you've got a good point there.

[Ogami]

... I'd... I'd be happier about that if "we're horribly hosed anyway" DIDN'T keep coming up as a valid argument.

----

[Ogami]

It's probably easier than rowing this boat. Hahahahaha...

Can anyone REALLY blame him for dodging the question? I mean, if he answers POORLY...

[Yuri]

I'm being completely serious! If you don't want to row the boat, you can get off here!!

... there won't be any witnesses to whatever accident could lead to his untimely death. Not that this is markedly different from the usual state of affairs, mind you.

[Ogami]

Eek!? I-I was just kidding! Stop pushing me like that!!

[Yuri]

Honestly... it's because you're messing around at a time like this...

[Ogami]

But if I wasn't at least this light-hearted, I wouldn't be able to get along with you like this, right?

[Ogami]

Hmmm... well, I DO work better when I'm able to stay relaxed. ... and I got you to cheer me up, right?

[Yuri]

Honestly... I just can't beat you. I'm counting on you, so I'm expecting great things from you.

[Ogami]

Aah, of course. I'm the Captain of the Imperial Assault Force. I won't let you OR your expectations down.

[Yuri]

[Ogami]

----
[Yuri]

gently caress it, I'm pushing you over.

[Ogami]

WHAT?

[Yuri]

Your face is stupid.

[Ogami]

WHY!?

[Yuri]

This entire situation is stupid!

[Ogami]

What!? No, it's-

[Ogami]

... well, okay, you were just making doe eyes at me and we're on a boat and you're giving me the third pep talk- IN A ROW- and-

[Ogami]

Look, I'm telling you, pushing me in would be a bad idea that has NOTHING to do with the fact that I'm half-robot! ... which, um, I'm not.

[Yuri]

[Yuri]

... Ogami-san, don't tell me that you can't SWIM.

[Ogami]

What? Um. Yes. Exactly. You know how it goes- took a bite of Gum-Gum, gained super powers, sink like a rock.

[Yuri]

Yup, that explanation is not at all suspicious and makes total sense. Let's get back to that conversation, shall we?

[Ogami]

... wow, this situation IS stupid.

----

[Ogami]

Yeah, I got it. Putting special training into action is better than just thinking about it.

[Yuri]

Of course. I'll be cheering for you, okay?

[Ogami]

Yuri-kun... I got it.

[Ogami]

Eh...?

[Yuri]

No... it's nothing. Right now, let us stay like this for just a little longer...

----
[Ogami]

[Ogami]

Come to think of it, did we actually, uh, accomplish anything here?

[Yuri]

We sat on a boat, just the two of us?

[Ogami]

And we talked about the importance of courage and believing in yourself and other after-school special things. So, basically... nothing.

[Yuri]

... look, you're completely ruining this "just the two of us" moment, so can't you just-

[Ogami]

Wait- what time is it!? I totally forgot that we're running on overtime here!!

[Yuri]

O-Ogami-san?! Look, calm down, if we row quickly enough, we can be back on the shore in-

[Ogami]

No time! I'M SWIMMING FOR IT!!

[Yuri]

Wh- wait! You're going to capsize the boat! And didn't you just say that you can't swim!?

[Ogami]

... oh, right, I DID say that splooshblubBZRRRT.

----

EARLIER, back when one or both halves of Ogami WEREN'T in horrible amounts of trouble:

[Ayame]

Ah... could you wait just a bit longer? I'm still getting ready...

[Ogami]

Okay, well, given that she comes out two seconds later, he's either getting excited just by 1) imagining her naked putting on her shoes (!?), or 2) imagining her preparing her physically-impossible hairdo.

... neither possibility is entirely appealing, mind you.

[Ayame]

And getting ready took some time. How do I look...? This is not at all strange, is it?

[Ogami]

Ah... no.

----
[Ogami]

You actually... look the same as you always do. So this WASN'T your version of a pajama outfit?

[Ayame]

Well, my spirit power DOES give me the ability to make it socially acceptable to go out in whatever the hell outfit that I want.

[Ogami]

Really?

[Ayame]

... no.

[Ogami]

... man, that's no fun. What IS your spirit power, anyway?

[Ayame]

Emasculating impertinent young men who ask too many questions.

[Ogami]

... y-yes'm. No more questions, ma'am.

[Ayame]

Oh, GOOD.

----

[Ogami]

Y... Yes'm!

[Ogami]

Ah... yes. By the way, Ayame-san... where are we going?

[Ayame]

Hmhmhm... that's a se-cr-et. It's nice for the two of us to come out like this every now and then, isn't it?
Or could it be... that you're unsatisfied with me?

[Ogami]

Ah... no! That's not what I meant at all!! I mean... um...

[Ayame]

Hmhmhm... I'm sorry. I was just teasing you.
You were looking much too dull, Ogami-kun, so I just wanted to tease you a little bit.

[Ogami]

... Ayame-san, please, give me a break~.

----
[Ayame]

If I DID, I wouldn't be doing my job, Ogami-kun.

[Ogami]

Aren't you supposed to be looking over my mental and psychological welfare-

[Ayame]

No.

[Ogami]

... wow, Manager Yoneda's really starting to rub off on you, isn't he?

[Ayame]

Of course not! I taught him everything he knows, after all.

[Ogami]

... wait. What?

[Ayame]

Hmhmhm.

----

[Ayame]

... what's wrong? Is there anything big sister can help you with?

[Boy]

Ah... um, y'know, auntie? I wanted to put this letter in the mailbox.
But... the slot's too high, and I can't get it in.

[Ayame]

I-I see. Could you give it to me? BIG SISTER will send it out for you.

[Boy]

Ah... yes'm. H-Here it is... big sister.

----
[Ogami]

Wow, um... that kid hit a sore spot, didn't he.

[Ayame]

Ha ha ha, what're you talking about, Ogami-kun~?

[Ogami]

T-That smile you gave him, I think he has gray hairs now. I can see them from here. And your pupils are really loving scary, ma'am. Are you really that sore about your age, Ayam-

[Ogami]

GYAH.

[Ayame]

Ha ha ha, whatever might you be TALKING about, Ogami-kun~~?

[Ogami]

... I-I get your point, ma'am. In fact, it's embedded itself in my shoe and has kind of ground my organic toes to powder so could you please move your heel so it's not ow ow ow OW OW OW.

[Ayame]

Aaah... God bless the person who invented ironshod high heels.

----

[Ayame]

Th-This is...

[Ogami]

Ayame-san... what's the matter?

[Boy]

Yup! I'm mailing it to the Imperial Assault Force.

[Ogami]

The Imperial Assault Force!?

[Boy]

Yup. We all wrote a letter to cheer 'em on.

[Ayame]

So we'll deliver your letter for you. Would that... be alright?

----
[Boy]

What? Heck no! I'm not giving this letter to some random auntie-

[Ayame]

WOULD THAT BE ALRIGHT?

[Boy]

... can... can I try again, big sis?

[Ayame]

Of course~!

----

[Boy]

Is it really okay!? Then it's a promise! Make sure to give it to them, okay!?

And then he runs off, if only to get away from the horrifically frightening banshee woman.

[Ayame]

Here, Ogami-kun... you should be the one to decide what to do with this letter.

[Ogami]

Um...

Remember, kids, it always pays to be a good Samaritan~!

[Ogami]

Let's be sure to mail it out properly. I mean, that's what we promised him.

[Ayame]

Mailing it out- how can you say something so irresponsible!

[Ogami]

Ah... no!? That may be so, but I was just messing around a bit...

[Ayame]

There's a time and place for that! You're not the type of person to misunderstand that child's feelings, right!?

----
[Ogami]

Wh- since when have we ever BOTHERED to care about how ANY children feel!?

[Ayame]

We've cared ever since it would have started making your life more complicated, Ogami-kun.

[Ogami]

... whyheeeee!?

----

[Ogami]

I-I'm sorry...

---

[Ayame]

Ogami-kun...?

[Ogami]

Ayame-san... I'm mortified.
That we couldn't win, even though these kids trust us so much...

[Ayame]

Hm... that's true. But as long as you remember that feeling, then we'll be okay next time... we'll undoubtedly be okay.
Come now; please hang in there. What you're feeling right now... never forget it, alright?

[Ogami]

Yes... I will never forget.

NEVER FORGET. :patriot:

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 9, 2013

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

----
[Ogami]

Continue doing what?

----

----
[Ayame]

Being horrifically awkward in the most awkward way possible, of course!

[Ogami]

Oh. Oh, great.

----

[Ayame]

How is it, Ogami-kun? This is a fairly good cafe, isn't it?

[Ogami]

Aah... well.

[Ayame]

Ogami-kun... what's wrong? Are you still... thinking about that boy from earlier?

[Ogami]

Yes...

[Ayame]

I see... perhaps it would've been better if I hadn't brought you to a place like this.
I've done something unnecessary, haven't I? You have a lot to think about, don't you, Ogami-kun...

Yippee! It's time to use uncharacteristic angst to create something vaguely resembling character development!

[Ogami]

N-No... that's not it at all.

And if that fails?

[Ayame]

That's how it always is... even when I think I'm doing something good, it turns out that I'm simply meddling, doesn't it.
I'm... a failure as a vice commander, aren't I...

USE MORE ANGST.

[Ogami]

A-Ayame-san...

[Ogami]

Can't you... rely on me? I might not be quite up to par yet, but I'll do my best!

[Ogami]

I want to be there to support you, Ayame-san.

If you know what I-

Okay, fine, that was kinda... well, okay, so it wasn't so much "sweet" as it was "ridiculously awkward and mushy." But, in the world of Sakura Wars...!

[Ayame]

As the captain of the Flower Division, you've become quite reliable, haven't you. It's very promising.

[Ogami]

No... not just as a captain...

... well.

Well, okay, this WOULD warrant an "if you know what I mean."

Y'know, once I get over the utterly shocking fact that Ogami FINALLY spoke his mind after 3/4ths of a year.

[Ayame]

I'm sorry, Ogami-kun. Anything more than this would be...

[Ayame]

Right now... I just want to think only about bringing an end to this battle.

[Ogami]

... y-yes'm.

Though, yeah, we all knew that there was only one way that something like this could turn out. Hell, Ayame's been cockblocking the poor bastard since the beginning of time, so it's not like she'll ever STOP.

[Ayame]

... you know, Ogami-kun. Even I have times when I want to complain.
But... I have to be reliable for everyone else... I have to dedicate myself to that.

... and just leaving that aside? They go back to talking like Ayame hadn't just crushed all of Ogami's perverted fantasies hopes and dreams under her heel. As usual.

[Ogami]

So that's how it was... I've always thought of you as an exceptionally strong person, Ayame-san.

[Ayame]

Hmhmhm... really? That's not how it is at all. Of course, I can only say this because we're alone.
Ogami-kun. If you ever feel like complaining... then come to talk it over with me, quietly.
No matter what happens, I'll always be there for you. Okay?

[Ogami]

Thank you very much. Ayame-san... I understand now.

----
[Ayame]

Emphasis on the "quietly" part, of course~!

[Ogami]

Of course! I--

[Ayame]

If you let any of that slip to anyone else, I will start chopping off slices of your body and using them as ammunition for the Shogeimaru's cannon~!

[Ogami]

I, um, of course!

[Ayame]

Starting from your non-essential extremities and organs and working my way up from there~!

[Ogami]

... y-y-y-yes'm.

----

[Ogami]

This is no time for me to be troubled. I'll think about how we can become strong enough to defeat any enemy!

... I... don't really know WHY, but I can't help but hear this line delivered by any character from the Speed Racer era of cartoons. Really, it's about on that level of sheer corniness.

[Ayame]

That's right. I'll also be rooting for you. Please hang in there, Ogami-kun.

----

And evening once again gives way to night. Where the gently caress DO all those clouds go, anyway?

----

And night gives way to day.

----
[Ogami]

HhhoOY!

[Kohran]

Ah, Ogami-han! Welcome back to th' land of th' livin'~!

[Ogami]

I'm... I'm alive? And I'm whole again!?

[Kohran]

Yup! Yer fit as a fiddle. Can't say th' same fer th' theater girls, but who cares 'bout 'em, anyhow?

[Ogami]

Still... you're amazing, Kohran! Y'know, if you ignore the sheer bloody horror of what you've done. There aren't even any stitches on me!

[Kohran]

O' course there ain't any stitches. Ah didn't actually cut you in half.

[Ogami]

... come again?

[Kohran]

Ah didn't actually cut ya in half! Ah jes' made ya think that Ah did. Wonderful things, hallucinogens.

[Ogami]

Really?

[Kohran]

... what, didja think Ah could actually slice you in half an' paste both halves of ya onto robot parts in th' five minutes that Ah had t' work with?

[Ogami]

Well, now that you mention it...

[Kohran]

It woulda taken me 'bout fifteen minutes.

[Ogami]

W... well, hahaha, great, now I won't have to worry about brain damage or bleeding to death or-

[Ogami]

... wait, I WAS in two places at once, wasn't I?

[Kohran]

Yup.

[Ogami]

... how?

[Kohran]

Spirit energy split y'all in half 'cause you believed!

[Ogami]

What the HELL!?

[Kohran]

Ah, wouldja prefer th' Mr. Cloning Gun explanation?

[Ogami]

... wait, what? Which explanation IS it!?

[Kohran]

One of them? Both of 'em? Neither of them? Th' world may never know.

[Ogami]

... I really wish I lived in a world where NEITHER of those options were actually possible.

[Kohran]

Ahahaha, don't sweat the small stuff~. Y'all got what ya needed t' get done, didn't you?

[Ogami]

I... I GUESS I did? I mean, sure, it was at the cost of my steadily-slipping grip on reality, but...

[Kohran]

Then all's well that ends well! By the way, it's time fer a meetin' that'll decide th' fate of th' world as we know it.

[Ogami]

Wait, wh-

----

----
[Ogami]

Wait, what? Really? ... how much loving time did that last exchange TAKE!?

[Maria]

Too much. Now sit down, shut up, and start this meeting.

[Ogami]

Yes'm. Y'know, I could've SWORN that I'd grown some balls not too long ago.

----

[Ogami]

Right... then let's get started.

[Ogami]

To make things clear: currently, it is impossible for us to defeat the Kouma.

[Sumire]

... Ensign, I do not believe that to be the case.

[Kanna]

... what're you saying!? We could barely scratch those things, and that's the truth!

[Sumire]

If we were to prepare even stronger spirit armor units, there would be no way for us to lose against those sorts of monsters.

----
[Ayame]

Or we COULD just use the Shogeimaru to blast all the Kouma to smithereens. Forever.

[Ogami]

... with all due respect, ma'am, but could you PLEASE stop abusing the PA system just to tell us that every two minutes?

[Yoneda]

Search your heart, m'boy. You know it to be a totally awesome solution.

[Ogami]

You too, sir? Seriously?

[Kohran]

Ah kinda hafta agree on principle here, Ogami-han. C'mon! Think of th' explosions!

[Ogami]

Look, we're the Imperial Assault Force, not the Let's loving Carpet-Bomb The Entire loving Imperial Capital Force!

[Yoneda]

... well now, that DOES have a nice ring to-

[Ogami]

No sir please don't.

----

[Kanna]

No, it's no fault of the Koubu. Right now, it's US who're lacking something!

[Sakura]

I think so too. I believe that we didn't have enough drive to win.

[Ogami]

Well, let's see...

The second choice would give everyone even MORE power, which, while attractive, doesn't sound like it would be particularly constructive. Quite the opposite, in fact. Meanwhile, the third choice ALSO doesn't sound like it would go over too well.

By process of elimination, we arrive at the boring option the first option.

[Ogami]

All members need to train again. After all, the Koubu derive their combat strength from the power of their pilots.

[Kohran]

So, wait, if that's th' case... if we also made improvements to th' Koubu's abilities...

[Sakura]

Then it'll truly be overkill! If that were the case, then we'd definitely be able to win, won't we?!

TRANSLATOR'S NOTE: The first part of that sentence isn't the most accurate translation, but I think it gets the rough meaning across.

----

[Ogami]

Alright! In that case, each one of us...

Of course...

... you just can't please EVERYone.

[Ogami]

... eh?

[Iris]

Iris thinks that making new Koubu would be better than something like special training.

----
[Kanna]

Maybe YOU can't.

[Sumire]

Excluding certain monstrously powerful behemoths, of course.

[Kanna]

... who, Iris?

[Sumire]

NO, YOU.

[Kanna]

Oh, right! Whew, for a moment there, I thought I was losin' my touch!

----

----

[Sumire]

... and YOU can go become some monstrous king of the jungle or whatever you wish.

[Ogami]

Both of you, calm down!

[Ogami]

True...

... clearly, Maria's place in the Flower Division has always been that of the behind-the-scenes puppeteer who TRULY makes all the decisions for the Flower Division, working through the figurehead of a Captain.

Maria's status as Ogami's love interest/VIP has only solidified her position as... the Shadow Council.

[Ogami]

... I got it. Everyone, do as you will.

[Sakura]

O-Ogami-san?

[Ogami]

What we all need to do right now... I believe that each of us understands that.
Each of you... take whatever actions you think would be best suited for the sake of fighting the Kouma!

----
[Maria]

With all due respect, Captain, are you out of your ever-loving mind?

[Sakura]

D-Ditto. Without the part about ever-loving.

[Kanna]

Me three. Without the "all due respect" part.

[Ogami]

... look, do you REALLY think that we can force these two to do something they don't want to do? What'll happen if I try to force either of them to run, say, fifty laps around the theater?

[Kanna]

... well, Sumire would probably, uh... I dunno. Hire someone to do it. Or purchase the theater wholesale. And the Flower Division.

[Sakura]

I-I'm not sure what Iris would do, but I have a feeling that the amount of running needed to complete fifty laps will cease to have absolutely any meaning whatsoever under whatever laws of physics she'll cook up. ... much like last time.

[Ogami]

Precisely.

----

----

----

[Maria]

Then... let's end the meeting here. Everyone, keep it together.

----
[Maria]

... and God help us all.

[Ogami]

Oh, we BOTH know that it's much too late for that.

----

So, what DOES happen now that Ogami's given everyone the green light to do whatever the hell they want?

Naturally, a montage happens!

[Maria]

Hey, Enfield... what should I do to shake the rust off of my skills?

[Kohran]

... awright! Th' spirit engine's conductivity's hittin' its theoretical mark! Next up... combinin' th' pulse!!

[Iris]

Look, look, Sumire~! We bought so~ much, didn't we!!

[Sumire]

Oh~hoh hoh hoh hoh hoh! Now then, let us return to the theater and make a competitive showing of our spoils of war!!

[Iris]

Ya~ay! I can't wait~!! Then after that, Iris'll take a nap~!!

[Kanna]

I'll do it! If it's me, I've got to be able to do it! This time for sure, I'll surpass my old man!!

[Sakura]

The path of the sword, namely the path of the heart... only with the heart will the sword reach its radiant apex . ... quickly... lightly!!

[Ogami]

Uuuooooooaaaaaah! The Imperial Capital... we shall protect it without fail!!

Okay, so to recap:

1) Sakura is waxing philosophical about her sword.
2) Maria is polishing her gun. And talking to it. This is a perfectly healthy thing to do.
3) Kohran is improving the technology that allows the Flower Division to wreak as much havoc as it does.
4) Kanna is... uh, actually training.
5) Sumire is buying things.
6) Iris is being taught everything she knows from the worst possible role model in the Flower Division.
7) Ogami is posing.

... so if we break it down like that, only TWO of them are actually doing something that'll make the Flower Division appreciably stronger. Everyone else is dicking around.

To whit, that was probably the worst training montage ever things do not look good for 1) our heroes, 2) their opponents, 3) every civilian in a 5,000 mile radius, and 4) all of the above.

NEXT TIME: The fruits of our labor- ... gently caress, I can't say it with a straight face.

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 9, 2013

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Ahaha when I first read Maria's part of the montage I thought it was something you made up.

Dominic Hokage
Nov 11, 2003

Posing is actually a very important skill that they teach at officer school. Defiantly maintaining good posture in the face of enemy assault boosts the morale of your soldiers.

lishan1988
Mar 19, 2009

Spirit Armor posted:

[Ogami]

Ooh. ... oh, wow, I keep forgetting that you're not, like, some sort of super-buff superhuman woman-thing.[/i]

Unlike the rest of the cast who Ohgami usually hangs out with...

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Yay, a mega-update! Excellent! I like the handling of the "cut in half" thing.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Here I was thinking that the upper brass would already be working on some improved, possibly flight-capable, mechs to match the new flying enemies while the cast would be training to proper utilize the new equipment.

I should have known that was waaaaayyy too logical for this series.

Son Conan
Sep 25, 2007

quote:

[Ogami]

What? Um. Yes. Exactly. You know how it goes- took a bite of Gum-Gum, gained super powers, sink like a rock.

I just don't know whether to laugh or cry at this (4KIDS!:argh:).

Also, the fact that Kohran and Kanna are the only ones actually doing anything USEFUL reminds me why I like them so much: they have dedicated their lives to explosions and punching, and are prepared to do whatever it takes to continue doing so.

Godspeed, ladies. Godspeed. :patriot:

Son Conan fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 21, 2009

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Spirit Armor posted:

[Ogami]

Hahahahaha... I got it. But it's been a while since I've been in a boat. Not since I was being drilled in the navy.

And another piece of the what-created-Ogami's-deep-seated-psychological-problems puzzle falls into place.

Might also account for the hot-blooded way he puts on a pair of pants.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Curious minds want to know the effects of the last option.

Also, Iris and Sumire train by buying out the entire shopping district?

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Ogami and Sakura are actually being intensely genre savvy here. By making sure that they're posing dramatically and seemingly training while the focus is on them during this little time skip, narrative causality forces the universe to act as if they've been training, leading to an increase in their overall skills and power level. This happens regardless of what they're doing in the time in-between.

Gaming narrative structure: Training without all of that pesky "effort" nonsense.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I would honestly not be surprised at all if shopping turned out to be somehow effective against the baddies.

Also, is there a different montage if you make them train?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I seriously thought the whole montage dialogue was faked, at first. This game is so weird.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Yay an Update.

Spirit Armor posted:

----
[Ogami]

HhhoOY!

[Kohran]

Ah, Ogami-han! Welcome back to th' land of th' livin'~!

[Ogami]

I'm... I'm alive? And I'm whole again!?

[Kohran]

Yup! Yer fit as a fiddle. Can't say th' same fer th' theater girls, but who cares 'bout 'em, anyhow?

[Ogami]

Still... you're amazing, Kohran! Y'know, if you ignore the sheer bloody horror of what you've done. There aren't even any stitches on me!

[Kohran]

O' course there ain't any stitches. Ah didn't actually cut you in half.

[Ogami]

... come again?

[Kohran]

Ah didn't actually cut ya in half! Ah jes' made ya think that Ah did. Wonderful things, hallucinogens.

[Ogami]

Really?

[Kohran]

... what, didja think Ah could actually slice you in half an' paste both halves of ya onto robot parts in th' five minutes that Ah had t' work with?

[Ogami]

Well, now that you mention it...

[Kohran]

It woulda taken me 'bout fifteen minutes.

[Ogami]

W... well, hahaha, great, now I won't have to worry about brain damage or bleeding to death or-

[Ogami]

... wait, I WAS in two places at once, wasn't I?

[Kohran]

Yup.

[Ogami]

... how?

[Kohran]

Spirit energy split y'all in half 'cause you believed!

[Ogami]

What the HELL!?

[Kohran]

Ah, wouldja prefer th' Mr. Cloning Gun explanation?

[Ogami]

... wait, what? Which explanation IS it!?

[Kohran]

One of them? Both of 'em? Neither of them? Th' world may never know.

[Ogami]

... I really wish I lived in a world where NEITHER of those options were actually possible.

[Kohran]

Ahahaha, don't sweat the small stuff~. Y'all got what ya needed t' get done, didn't you?

[Ogami]

I... I GUESS I did? I mean, sure, it was at the cost of my steadily-slipping grip on reality, but...

[Kohran]

Then all's well that ends well! By the way, it's time fer a meetin' that'll decide th' fate of th' world as we know it.

[Ogami]

Wait, wh-

so he was....cloned while high on spirit energy?

Spirit Armor posted:

----
Okay, so to recap:

1) Sakura is waxing philosophical about her sword.
2) Maria is polishing her gun. And talking to it. This is a perfectly healthy thing to do.
3) Kohran is improving the technology that allows the Flower Division to wreak as much havoc as it does.
4) Kanna is... uh, actually training.
5) Sumire is buying things.
6) Iris is being taught everything she knows from the worst possible role model in the Flower Division.
7) Ogami is posing.

... so if we break it down like that, only TWO of them are actually doing something that'll make the Flower Division appreciably stronger. Everyone else is dicking around.

To whit, that was probably the worst training montage ever things do not look good for 1) our heroes, 2) their opponents, 3) every civilian in a 5,000 mile radius, and 4) all of the above.

NEXT TIME: The fruits of our labor- ... gently caress, I can't say it with a straight face.
This will be entertaining. Thanks for the updates SA.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Look, the one thing we're not seeing here is that Sumire's super ability is fueled by how envious the opponent is of her standard of living. You've got to have a pretty opulent lifestyle to impress even a demon.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Glazius posted:

Look, the one thing we're not seeing here is that Sumire's super ability is fueled by how envious the opponent is of her standard of living. You've got to have a pretty opulent lifestyle to impress even a demon.

Hm, I dunno, I'm thinking more along the lines of the Transvestite Brigade. The demons go, "Look at that chick, all fancy-looking, what a pans-OHGOD SHE'S KILLING US."

Except... it's Sumire.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 22, 2009

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?
Whew, reading marathon.

I have to say this is a fuckin' awesome LP! Loving how all the anime stereotypes are all getting turned upside down.

I have some questions though because if I didn't stick to reading just the updates I'd still be on page 20. How different is world history at this point compared to the real world (giant steam powered robots aside)? I mean, they seem to reference a world war - is that suppose to be WWI?

Also, is there a world wide government? Since it seems Iris and Maria are recruited from foreign countries and that there are recruiters trying to get some girls to go to different postings in other countries.

Schadenfraulein
Dec 23, 2006
a front row seat to the gun show

Dirt5o8 posted:

Whew, reading marathon.

I have to say this is a fuckin' awesome LP! Loving how all the anime stereotypes are all getting turned upside down.

I have some questions though because if I didn't stick to reading just the updates I'd still be on page 20. How different is world history at this point compared to the real world (giant steam powered robots aside)? I mean, they seem to reference a world war - is that suppose to be WWI?

Also, is there a world wide government? Since it seems Iris and Maria are recruited from foreign countries and that there are recruiters trying to get some girls to go to different postings in other countries.

In the early 1900s, steampowered machinery produced by Kanzaki Heavy Industries enables a technological revolution. The Taishō (太正) era begins in 1912. It is my assumption that the World War never occurs. In 1918, the Kouma War is fought at Nihonbashi in Tokyo. The Hoshigumi is operating in Europe prior to 1922, which (along with the events of subsequent games) suggests to me that the demonic outbreaks were not confined to Japan.

I don't think there's a world government; it is just that the Japanese government is that much more powerful and influential in world affairs, thanks to the efforts of Kanzaki Heavy Industries.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Dirt5o8 posted:

Whew, reading marathon.

You're thinking too hard about video games.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?
Eh, the back story can be just as enjoyable as the main plot.

Edit: \/\/ Sometimes it seems that the history of game is better than the game play. Case in point is Masters of the Orion 3. That game had a very detailed and filled out history dating back tens of thousands of years, but the actual game left a lot to be desired.

Dirt5o8 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 22, 2009

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Dirt5o8 posted:

Eh, the back story can be just as enjoyable as the main plot.

Yeah, I'm one of those guys who thinks like that too.

EDIT: I want to do writing, but my problem is I enjoy the world building a lot more than actually writing.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I'd remind everyone that unless I missed something Spirit can take all the drat time he wants with updates as he's actually translating the things, something I know I'm surely not capable of. I appreciate his dedication to his thread.

Of course now I'll be able to tell my grandchildren "Way back in the day, there was this fellow Spirit armor, and he posted on one of the old forums you read about in your computer history class for over two years, and was repaid with pictures of little girls trying to take control of his title character he was translating for and suggestive pictures of women, which we all know died out in the great demon war of 2037."

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!

Schadenfraulein posted:

In the early 1900s, steampowered machinery produced by Kanzaki Heavy Industries enables a technological revolution. The Taishō (太正) era begins in 1912. It is my assumption that the World War never occurs. In 1918, the Kouma War is fought at Nihonbashi in Tokyo. The Hoshigumi is operating in Europe prior to 1922, which (along with the events of subsequent games) suggests to me that the demonic outbreaks were not confined to Japan.

I don't think there's a world government; it is just that the Japanese government is that much more powerful and influential in world affairs, thanks to the efforts of Kanzaki Heavy Industries.

The Russian Revolution still happened, so I don't think they'd leave out the rest of the World War, as they took place at roughly the same time. WWI might also explain why Reni was trained as a Wunderkind. What better shock factor during a war than knowing you have to fight a child?

Dirt5o8 posted:

No. The Tokyo Hanagumi is special in how its members were recruited, iirc. For example, the Paris Hanagumi only recruited its members from the people that were in Paris at the time (with the exception of Ogami). Likewise, most of the New York Hoshigumi are "American" with Subaru, Shinjiro, and the mechanic as the exceptions.

Edit: Nice update, SA. I was afraid I'd have to post a mediocre MSPaint of a murderous Iris. :downs:

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Sindai posted:

Ahaha when I first read Maria's part of the montage I thought it was something you made up.

Yeah... I really didn't need to do ANYTHING to the montage. I mean, that entire sequence was cheesy (and/or senseless) enough purely by existing.

Geostomp posted:

Here I was thinking that the upper brass would already be working on some improved, possibly flight-capable, mechs to match the new flying enemies while the cast would be training to proper utilize the new equipment.

I should have known that was waaaaayyy too logical for this series.

In theory, what Ogami was planning for them to do wasn't really that bad of a plan; they had no idea of they were even going to get enough cash to build stronger mecha, let alone enough cash to repair their OLD ones, so they might as well train so that they'd be stronger no matter WHAT'll happen.

... 'course, the problem is that Ogami's best-laid plans are never able to stand up to the dysfunctional might of the Flower Division's members.

Son Conan posted:

Also, the fact that Kohran and Kanna are the only ones actually doing anything USEFUL reminds me why I like them so much: they have dedicated their lives to explosions and punching, and are prepared to do whatever it takes to continue doing so.

Hey, Sakura and Ogami are... KIND of doing something useful! Maybe.

Narsham posted:

And another piece of the what-created-Ogami's-deep-seated-psychological-problems puzzle falls into place.

Wait, so you're saying is that because he's been piloting a robot this entire time, he hasn't been in nearly enough boats?

That's an easy problem to solve.

veekie posted:

Curious minds want to know the effects of the last option.

Also, Iris and Sumire train by buying out the entire shopping district?

Everyone scolds you and you lose like a billion happiness points with everyone.

... well, okay, that's probably not EXACTLY it, but it's close enough and I'm not playing through the entire section a seventh time, the game doesn't have a fast-forward-through-all-the-text-you've-seen-before option.

Also, it's Iris and Sumire. Do you really have to ask?

Einander posted:

Ogami and Sakura are actually being intensely genre savvy here. By making sure that they're posing dramatically and seemingly training while the focus is on them during this little time skip, narrative causality forces the universe to act as if they've been training, leading to an increase in their overall skills and power level. This happens regardless of what they're doing in the time in-between.

Gaming narrative structure: Training without all of that pesky "effort" nonsense.

This.

wdarkk posted:

Also, is there a different montage if you make them train?

It's been a LONG time since I tried that option, but... as far as I recall, you don't even GET a montage if you force Iris, Sumire, and Kohran to train against their will.

Granted, I could be wrong.

ZeeToo posted:

I seriously thought the whole montage dialogue was faked, at first. This game is so weird.

... I dunno, it's never really struck me as "weird." Mostly it's been cheesy as all hell- though once again, this IS a pretty faithful remix of a twelve-year-old anime-style game that ITSELF hearkens back to the day when giant robot series weren't angsty as all hell.

Glazius posted:

... so she taps into super bourgeoisie powers to make the demons green with envy?

Dirt5o8 posted:

Most everyone else has answered these questions already, but...

1) It SEEMS to be standard world history, except for the fact that they've shoehorned demons and spirit powers into any given point in time. The game's annoyingly vague about stuff like this, even when they DO reference events that happened in real life- for instance, "Maria fought for that one side in that one war in Russia" and "those European folks fought for that one side in that one war in Europe" is about as specific as they've really gotten.

... so the storyboard writers probably didn't intend for the players to think very hard about that at all.

2) Nope. It's just that Japan was lucky enough to be the first country to make spirit armor units (since this IS a heavily Japan-centric series, after all).

RuanGacho posted:

I'd remind everyone that unless I missed something Spirit can take all the drat time he wants with updates as he's actually translating the things, something I know I'm surely not capable of. I appreciate his dedication to his thread.

Thanks, but even I think I'm updating too drat slowly.

Heck, it's usually not the translation that takes up the most time (which is why you get some REALLY weird lines popping up, like Sakura's part of the montage); it's writing the update itself.

quote:

Of course now I'll be able to tell my grandchildren "Way back in the day, there was this fellow Spirit armor, and he posted on one of the old forums you read about in your computer history class for over two years, and was repaid with pictures of little girls trying to take control of his title character he was translating for and suggestive pictures of women, which we all know died out in the great demon war of 2037."

... see, what I'm afraid of is how that narrative'll potentially change as I start working through the other games.

I mean, sure, it'll start out as "over two years," but then it'll go into "over three years," then "over four years," and then...

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 23, 2009

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Spirit Armor posted:

... I dunno, it's never really struck me as "weird." Mostly it's been cheesy as all hell- though once again, this IS a pretty faithful remix of a twelve-year-old anime-style game that ITSELF hearkens back to the day when giant robot series weren't angsty as all hell.
"Weird" is shorter. :colbert:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I was going to put this with one of the scenes where Ogami is rowing, but I'll use this one because the picture is funnier...

Spirit Armor posted:

Wait, so you're saying is that because he's been piloting a robot this entire time, he hasn't been in nearly enough boats?

That's an easy problem to solve.
Nice boat.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Spirit Armor posted:

... see, what I'm afraid of is how that narrative'll potentially change as I start working through the other games.

I mean, sure, it'll start out as "over two years," but then it'll go into "over three years," then "over four years," and then...

Hey, what do you think will CAUSE the great demon war of 2037?

"When those photos weren't enough to get Spirit Armor to update, I had no option but to unleash the demons..."

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees
Oh god. Reading like 40 pages in one day to catch up from September...and it's still not over.

This game. Too much wall of text :cry:

That said, monumental effort you've got going here :3:

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Narsham posted:

Hey, what do you think will CAUSE the great demon war of 2037?

"When those photos weren't enough to get Spirit Armor to update, I had no option but to unleash the demons..."

"I'll set up the summoning circle in Asia, who's got Europe?"

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Dexanth posted:

Oh god. Reading like 40 pages in one day to catch up from September...and it's still not over.

This game. Too much wall of text :cry:

That said, monumental effort you've got going here :3:

Speaking as somebody who just finished 108 pages to reach this point (though not in one sitting at least), my brain has almost melted sufficiently to be one of the cast members at this point :psyduck:. Worth every minute though, I haven't laughed this hard in a LONG time. How the heck you actually managed to keep the humor level this high going on almost 2 years now is beyond me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

My god. I caught up. I...I..I'm scared. Hold me.

What will I read before going to sleep now?

Spirit Armor deserves his face carved on LP's Mt Rushmore.

I would bear your children if I had the proper organs.

• Locked thread