Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I kind of wish you would break down updates into smaller pieces and spread them out over time. 1 update a month that Firefox actually can not finish loading makes no sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Firefox loads them fine for me. Heck, IE 6 loads them fine for me, and that's on a work connection that only works maybe half the time thanks to lovely Websense filtering.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Actually, that sounds just like my internet connection on a bad day. Sometimes it times out when you load too many items at once, like when you have some 4 updates in a row. I think it's my crappy router.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Canuck-Errant posted:

Firefox loads them fine for me. Heck, IE 6 loads them fine for me, and that's on a work connection that only works maybe half the time thanks to lovely Websense filtering.

My loads fine, though it throws off the "jump to last read post" thing and when there's only one or two new posts it can be annoying to wait for every picture to load just to check them.

Then again I often end up re-reading the updates, and certainly can tolerate a slight bit of annoyance for the sake of an update.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Spirit Armor posted:

Well, HE'LL probably lock himself in his Koubu, if he's at all smart.

[i]I must not run away, I must not run away, I must not run away... [/b]

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Do we ever learn where Satan got his new super-flunkies?

Dash Magnum
Jul 25, 2007

That's no moon...
It's a Face Station!
Temp Agency. :colbert:

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Love, Justice, and Mid-Season Upgrades Steam-Powered Robots.

CannonFodder posted:

Why did Kohran call her team pansies when there are much more powerful flowers out there, like dandiLIONs and snapDRAGONs?

Just to highlight the fact that no matter which way you cut it, Satan still got beaten up by a bunch of flowers.

Verklemptomaniac posted:

It was a terrible attempt at a pun, based on the fact that 'deus' sounds like 'deux' (two), and 'septum' is latin for 'seven' (The number of new 'machinas' we'll be getting, assuming one per character.)

As I said, terrible pun attempt. Disregard.

Oooh. Don't worry about it, I thought that it might've been an actual word or something.

Sindai posted:

I kind of wish you would break down updates into smaller pieces and spread them out over time. 1 update a month that Firefox actually can not finish loading makes no sense to me.

That's generally what I try to aim for, but I didn't have time to cook up ANY updates for three weeks and I wanted to make up for lost time on the fourth, so I figured that I'd just end the chapter. It's not something I want to make a habit of.

... gimme a sec and I'll split the last update in two.

EDIT: Done.

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 21, 2009

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

----------
:siren:VIDEO ALERT!:siren:

Ending the fight the only way we know how. (Hint: It involves violence.)

Google Version!
Youtube Version Coming Soon!
----------

----
[Ayame]

Of you, or of--

[Ogami]

Them! Of THEM! We were just talking about it all of two minutes ago!!

[Ayame]

Alright, I just wanted to make sure.

[Ayame]

[Ayame]

Are you CERTAIN that you don't want--

[Ogami]

YES, WE'RE SURE.

[Yoneda]

Man, you spoil those kids rotten. Why, back in MY day...

----

[Ayame]

Shogeimaru, prepare to fire!

----

----

----

----

----

----
[Ogami]

"Fairly weakened"? You purged them with cleansing fire from the bleeding heavens! How are they still alive!?

[Ayame]

They're like cockroaches, Ogami-kun: they're nasty and they just don't die.

[Ogami]

And how'd you manage to not turn all the buildings around them into a smoking crater?

[Ayame]

See the above answer.

[Ogami]

... cockroaches?

[Ayame]

Let's just say that I never liked this godforsaken street and leave it at that, Ogami-kun. Darned overpricing bastards.

----

----

Now, at least, even though WE'RE hurting...

... they're hurting WORSE.

[Maria]

Understood!

----
[Ogami]

Ha ha, that's great, Iris, I--

[Iris]

Cut these hairless apes down a peg!

[Ogami]

... wait, what?

[Iris]

You all cheated!

[Maria]

Iris, it's only cheating if the demons do it. It's called a hot-blooded climactic reversal when humans do it.

[Iris]

Ooooh.

[Ogami]

... we're horrible cheating bastards, aren't we, Maria?

[Maria]

Yes, Captain. Yes, we are.

----

Their health isn't chopped down by too much, but...

----

Their defense has been sapped, too. This stage has gone from a gauntlet to a cakewalk.

[Ogami]

Thanks to the Shogeimaru's bombardment... it looks like we'll be able to take them down somehow.
However... even so, these things... they're much too powerful!!
We shouldn't push ourselves... guess this means that we've got no choice but to defeat these guys methodically, huh...

Methodically? Screw that AND gently caress defense, we're running the Fire strategy so that we can wrap this up as quickly as possible.

----

[Kanna]

Your luck ran out-- you got me as your opponent.

We're taking these bastards to school.

----

----

----

... y'know, after all the poo poo that the Kouma have put us through, I can't help but think that we ARE cheating pretty horribly here.

----

----

And that, as they say, was the end of that.

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Apr 8, 2013

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

----------

The epilogue! ... such as it is, of course.

Google Version!
----------

----
[Ayame]

For chrissake, Ogami-kun, they're called Kouma. K-O-U-M-A. We've only been talking about them for the entire battle.

[Ogami]

N... no, ma'am, I've been asking that in the "why the hell" sense, not the "what're they called again?" sense.

----

----

----

Which was indeed hinted at earlier in the chapter.

----
[Ogami]

Well, hey, Kohran, it's a good thing that the Koubu were able to last through the entire battle without incident, right?

[Kohran]

You betcher boots, Ogami-han! And it's a good thing that there ain't any baddies left t' push us right over th' edge~!

----

----

----
[Ogami]

Dammit.

[Kohran]

Yeah, Ah figured that somethin' like this'd happen.

[Maria]

Then why the hell did you--

[Kohran]

Dramatic timing. It'd be better t' bait th' drat thing out now rather than when we're flyin' home in our big vulnerable 'splodey blimp.

----

----

Welp, it's the ranged ones that're up to bat, with Maria blasting away like some badass Russian version of Quick Draw McGraw.

----
[Ogami]

Um... Maria, you DO know that this isn't the shooting booth and that you don't have any excuse for failing at--

[Maria]

[Ogami]

N-Nevermind.

----

----

----
[Kohran]

Quantity over quality, Maria-han! That's th' spirit of China right there.

[Ogami]

... is that really something to brag about, Kohran?

----

WHOOSH

One punch in the face...

----

... and a second one immediately afterward.

[Maria]

Tsk...

----
[Ogami]

Sakura! Iris! You're up!!

----

----

CLANG

THWOCK

----
[Maria]

Captain... was it really such a bright idea to send our only major healer to fight face-to-face with the demon that specializes in melee fighting?

[Ogami]

I was... kind of hoping that Iris'd have been able to pull some special demon-talking power and make it not attack us or something.

[Iris]

What? They aren't even the right type of demon!

[Ogami]

Huh? Er, wait, that's not--

[Iris]

Are you saying that all demons everywhere are the same, Oniichan!? Speciesist! Speciesist!!

[Ogami]

... can we finish this conversation when we AREN'T all about to die? -- Sumire! Kanna! I choose you!

----

And here come the cavalry.

... the burning super-powered face-punching building-jumping steampunk cavalry from hell.

----
[Sumire]

Take this! Dance of the--

----

----

KER-PUNCH

----
[Ogami]

... goddamn it, Sumire, please stop failing.

[Sumire]

W-Well, perhaps if you actually DID something instead of standing back and issuing orders, Ensign...

----

Meanwhile...

... Kanna, having catapulted herself a good six stories up...

... is in the process...

... of deciding the outcome of this battle...

... all on her freakin' own.

Well, except for the one little bit that she needs Ogami's help for.

----
[Maria]

... Captain, maybe we shouldn't have attacked the Kouma one or two at a time?

[Ogami]

Nonsense, Maria, we're like NPC ninjas: when we're all massed together against one opponent, we're bound to get our asses kicked. But when we get our chance to shine alone...

----

----

----

----

----

----
[Ogami]

... we are unbeatable gods.

[Maria]

You just wanted a chance to look cool and get the finishing blow, didn't you.

----

----
[Ogami]

... maaaaaybe. Also, ow.

----

----

----

Fzt.

----

Fzt crackle pop.

----

----
[Ogami]

Y'know, maybe if you hadn't hinted at it so strongly earlier today...

[Kohran]

... it woulda happened anyway, 'cept you'd be scratchin' yer lil' head over th' fact that th' plot twist came outta nowhere.

[Ogami]

Well... yeah, you're probably right.

----

... the Koubu's seen better days.

[Maria]

The Koubu have broken down, haven't they...

[Kanna]

Yeah... we've been together a long time, but they aren't usable anymore, huh.

[Kohran]

*Sniff*... th' base machines an' their equipment've long since passed their limits.
These kids really worked hard. Now... rest easy, an' good night. My "Koubu"...

[Sumire]

... even so, those monsters' attacks wrecked our armor. What in the world ARE they?

[Ogami]

If those creatures appear again...

----
[Kohran]

[Ogami]

What're we gonna do? We can't use our Koubu, and we don't have any way of fighting against the Kouma. I mean, it's not like we're going to be able to get a Get Out Of Jail Free card or a set of Deus Ex Machinas or whatever, so--

----

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Apr 8, 2013

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

----------
:siren:VIDEO ALERT!

The next episode preview in which the Imperial Assault Force gets a set of Deus Ex Machinas

Google Version!
----------

NEXT EPISODE

----

[Ayame]

Ogami-kun, you can't give up!

----

[Ayame]

You will definitely be able to open up a path!

[Ayame]

So for now, you must engage in special training...

----

[Ayame]

... among other things!

----

[Ayame]

Next time, on Sakura Wars!

[Ayame]

The Gods Have Descended!

[Ayame]

A storm of romance amongst the Taisho era cherry blossoms!

[Ayame]

First up is...

----

[Ayame]

... one hundred push-ups!

NEXT TIME: Cheer everyone up or you're hosed! :buddy:

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Apr 8, 2013

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
My god, that was confusing. For a second, I thought it was a new update.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
For a second I though SA had reposted the whole thing this page just to spite me. :v:

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Sindai posted:

For a second I though SA had reposted the whole thing this page just to spite me. :v:

Well Spirit Armor, you know what you need to do now...

Seriously, though, I had to go back and re-read the entire update. Again. And it was still awesome.

This LP is awesome.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
So long, old koubu. I'll miss them. Though Ogami's new one looks amazing.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

demota posted:

Pfft, when they remade Wing Zero he got wings, Ogami just got a spoiler for dorifuto action.

unangbangkay
Sep 30, 2008

CannonFodder posted:

Pfft, when they remade Wing Zero he got wings, Ogami just got a spoiler for dorifuto action.

All of Ohgami's upgrades have a flight theme, at least since they started personalizing the models in ST3 (and these remakes of course). His Koubu-F2 had jet turbines, his Koubu-Nishiki had articulated rocket boosters, this new one has the flying wing.

If they ever remake ST2, I wonder what the Tenbu'll look like...

Gespenst
Oct 14, 2007
I went to the internet and all I got was this crappy account.
Whew. I just now got caught up with the whole thread, it has provided a good few weeks worth of stuff to read. I've always been rather... morbidly curious about the series, and this has been a neat look at it. Thanks, Spirit Armor!

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

----------

If this was an anime series, this is where we'd get a new opening sequence.

... since this is very obviously an anime-style game, we get a new opening anyway. Most of the scenes are slight variations of the first opening; the biggest changes are near the very end.

Google Version!
Youtube Version! - Coming Eventually.
----------

Once again, without any preface whatsoever, the game launches right into what could be the most worryingly-named chapter yet.

I mean, the least they could do was tell us what SORT of gods were stopping by for brunch. Old Testament? New Testament? Cthulhu-esque?

[Newspaper]

January 2nd - Imperial Capital Daily Report - Newspaper Extra
"A New Enemy Appears" - "Meiji Shrine Thrown Into Chaos"
Headlines: Grotesque monstrosities appear at the Meiji Shrine. A difficult struggle for the Imperial Assault Force, Flower Division.
Grotesque monsters appeared within the Meiji Shrine area, which was bustling due to the New Year. Chaos reigned for roughly one hour.
The Imperial Assault Force, Flower Division, sortied. The creatures were repelled, but the damage was still considerable. Have the spirit armor units "Koubu" been irreparably damaged?
At the appearance of these new enemies, the citizens of the Imperial Capital have been unable to hide their shock.

[Ogami]

Urk...

Well. Going from top to bottom... 1) this would probably be a bad time for Ogami to grow some balls, 2) an even worse time for self-castrationrecrimination, and 3) the worst possible time to show that he never had any balls in the first place.

... it might be better to just plead the Fifth and be done with it.

[Ogami]

... I have no excuses to offer.

[Yoneda]

Honestly... to think that you'd go and lose all of the tiger-model spirit armor units...

[Ogami]

It's shameful...

[Yoneda]

Listen up, Ogami! Just when they thought the Hive of Darkness was over, the citizens of the Imperial Capital are shivering in fear at this new threat...

----
[Ogami]

I see... so you're telling me this because we've failed in our duty to protect the populace, and--

[Yoneda]

What? What? No, I don't care about the POPULACE, I care about the fact that no one's coming to our theater so we're not making any money!!

[Ogami]

... what? B-but, honor and duty and--

[Yoneda]

Look, since when have I ever cared about the populace OR about any of that stuff?

[Ogami]

When it means that we... aren't making money?

[Yoneda]

Precisely, m'boy. You're an idjit, but at least you're learning.

----

[Yoneda]

I can't help that my stomach's gonna start hurting right off the bat.

[Ogami]

Isn't that... because you drink too much alcohol...?

[Yoneda]

Hah? ... didja say something?

[Ogami]

N... no!! It was nothing!

Aah, such a wonderfully psychotic working relationship these people have.

[Yoneda]

Got it, Ogami!? Just because you took down the Hive of Darkness doesn't mean that you can get lazy from all this peace!
If you keep up this shameful behaviour and get it exposed to the public, you'll be demoted to full-time ticket-taker!

----
[Ogami]

[Ogami]

Wait, that phrasing... does that mean that I might be able to engage in shameful behavior as long as it doesn't get exposed to the public?

[Yoneda]

Yeah, sure, why not? As long as you can figure out how to kill those damned monsters, I don't really give half a--

[Ayame]

Ahem.

[Yoneda]

-- of COURSE not, you 'orrible 'uman being! Full-time ticket-taker.

[Ogami]

But I'm already technically a--

[Yoneda]

Full-time ticket-taker.

[Ogami]

Wait, doesn't that mean that I won't have to risk life and limb fighting frightening monsters and trying to wrangle six equally-frightening women--

[Yoneda]

Full-time ticket-taker's pay.

[Ogami]

But I'm not actually GETTING--

[Ayame]

We could always do this the hard way, Ogami-kun.

[Ogami]

----

[Ogami]

F... full-time ticket-taker!?

[Yoneda]

If you don't want that to happen, then hurry up and think up some countermeasures against those kinds of monstrous opponents!

[Ogami]

Y-Yessir! ... please excuse me!

And then he gets the hell out of dodge.

[Ayame]

Heheheheh... Commander, weren't you just a bit too threatening?

[Yoneda]

That was just right to clear up a head all dulled by New Year's foolishness. Also...
The trick is to never forget about war. We can't let our guard down even in times of peace...

[Yoneda]

Aoi Satan... he might be more of a problem than Tenkai, huh...

[Ayame]

And now for a sudden change of scenery! Kouma subtypes color-coded for your convenience.

... given how many times they rely on scene shifts, I can't even BEGIN to imagine how irritating it would be if they'd put in a voice-over'd "MEANWHILE" every single time it happened.

[Kouma]

Ggshaa!

[Satan]

At last, the time has come for you lot to ascend to the surface...

[Satan]

However, we must first consign to oblivion all those who would stand in our way...

[Kouma]

Ggshaa!

----
[Ino]

And, uh, our orders, sir?

[Satan]

Holy freaking crap, are you guys trying to give me a loving heart attack? When the hell did you guys GET here?

[Shika]

We've... we've been here the entire time, sir. All fifteen hours.

[Satan]

Really? Huh. Anyway, uh, go do whatever it is you guys do best. Rape some villages, pillage some women...

[Chou]

[Satan]

Or, uh, or some men...

[Ino]

[Satan]

Or the opposite gender of whatever blasted species you circus freaks are supposed to be.

[Ino]

Y... yessir. :smith:

----

MEANWHILE! We snap back to the good guys.

And despite the fact that Satan's crew was fully prepared to start wrecking the Imperial Capital again, we don't hear from them for a good long while.

[Ogami]

Kouma...

Once again, we're treated to a badass, though somewhat recycled, still shot of a time when the band got back together and decided to go into hand-to-hand combat with creatures that tore apart our penultimate steam-powered power suits.

Ha ha ha... man, we suck.

[Ogami]

Six years ago... the Kouma that were sealed deep within the earth by Lt. General Yoneda and the others from the Imperial Army's Anti-Demon Brigade...
... have now been ressurected back to the Imperial Capital by Aoi Satan...

As if to punctuate the greatest understatement ever known to mankind, someone knocks on the door.

[Ogami]

Yes, I'll be right there...

[Ogami]

... what's wrong, Kohran?

[Kohran]

... Ah got somethin' Ah need t' talk with you about. 's it a'right... if Ah come in?

[Ogami]

... sure. Come on in.

They go on in. HOWEVER...

[Sumire]

Kohran... I wonder what she intends to talk with the Ensign about, this late at night...

----
[Sumire]

After all, it is most certainly not eavesdropping. It's the buddy system!

**TWO WEEKS AGO**

[Maria]

Now, the basics of the buddy system is to ensure that none of us will go anywhere alone with the Captain without one of us monitoring the situation at all times. For his protection.

[Kanna]

And for our own protection, too, because we don't know what he might try to do to one of us.

[Sumire]

Precisely.

[Kohran]

Yup. O-Of cour-- ohgodAhcan'tpffft--

[Everyone]

Bwahahahahahahaha!!

[Maria]

... anyway, yes, it's for his own protection. So, are we all in agreement?

[Sakura]

What if we're discussing something delicate with Ogami-san, or, like... what if you went out on a date with him or something, Maria-san?

[Maria]

We'll deal with that on a case-by-case basis. Also, the only way I would agree to something as absurd as a date with the Captain would be if SOMEONE continued sneaking antidepressants into my morning tea. Stop it.

[Kohran]

C'mon, Maria-han, My Mr. Happy Pills've been a change for th' better for ya!

[Maria]

Making me as brain-dead as a giddy schoolgirl is NOT a change for the better, Kohran. Buddy system is go, meeting is adjourned.

----

[Kohran]

Cuttin' straight to th' point... th' chance that we'll be able t' repair th' Koubu is pretty slim.

[Ogami]

What was that?

[Kohran]

And t' tell you th' truth, even if we manage t' get th' Koubu repaired... Ah don't think they'll be able t' beat our opponents next time.

[Ogami]

... which means that we'll need weapons a level above the Koubu... won't we.

[Kohran]

Developin' new spirit armor units, armin' 'em, maintenance... even Ah don't know jes' how much money that'll all cost.
On top of that, all th' Koubu were annihilated... an' finally, thanks to our new enemies, th' Imperial Capital's economy's in tatters.
At a time like this, we don't have th' ability t' make new Koubu...

----
[Ogami]

... actually, I was thinking less "make new Koubu" and more "make more Shogeimaru Bombardment Cannons."

[Kohran]

We wouldn't be a mecha-pilotin' group anymore, Ogami-han.

[Ogami]

Oh c'mon, just make a few cannons, slap a few wheels on them, and let us drive them around the next time any Kouma drop by! There wouldn't be anything left of those demons!

[Kohran]

Look at it this way: do ya really WANT t' have seven Ayames drivin' around Japan?

[Ogami]

... jesus loving christ I retract my previous argument.

----

[Ogami]

So it's a problem of funding, huh...

Clatter and the sound of footsteps receding into the distance.

[Ogami]

... hm!?

[Ogami]

No, it's... didn't you hear something just now?

[Ogami]

Probably...

[Ogami]

Well... I'm kind of worried about how everyone's doing, so I'm going to go talk to them for a bit.

[Kohran]

Yeah, that's right... might be a good idea t' go an' talk to Yoneda-han an' Ayame-han, while yer at it.

[Ogami]

Right then, I'm off. Kohran... make sure to get some rest.

[Kohran]

Ah ain't really feelin' all that sleepy, but... y'know... good night.

And with that, she takes her leave as well.

----
[Ogami]

Welp, I just finished a conversation with Kohran without falling into a suspiciously unnatural sleep, with all of my organs intact, and without any strange foreign objects inserted into various parts of my body.

[Ogami]

[Ogami]

Holy poo poo, no WONDER something felt off.

----

And free roam begins. Thankfully, there's not all that much going on, so I'll have time to talk to every character and then some.

To warm up, I suppose it would be best to start with one of the most easily-read characters in the game.

----
[Ogami]

That's what SHE said!

[Ogami]

[Ogami]

Wait, that really doesn't work in this situation, does it.

[Kanna]

Not really, no.

----

[Ogami]

Nope... just doing the nightly rounds and seeing how everyone's doing.

[Kanna]

THOSE are our new enemies...? I can't believe they're really that strong... they're really monsters.

[Ogami]

Kanna...

It's really not a good sign when your most bloodthirsty underling suddenly loses her confidence. :smith:

... and it's even weirder when the LEAST bloodthirsty character is the one to provide an emergency transfusion of hot-blooded manliness.

[Ogami]

I won't... I won't give up! No matter what happens, we will protect the peace in the Imperial Capital.

[Ogami]

... Kanna. You will be a part of that effort, won't you?

Problem solved! And her trust level spikes.

[Ogami]

... thank you.

[Kanna]

A life lived without any regrets... well, you can't call something like that "living."
People are creatures that regret... regret... and regret some more.

[Ogami]

Live and... regret?

----
[Ogami]

By regretting that they were ever born?

[Kanna]

... I should probably expand on that, shouldn't I.

[Ogami]

It might help a bit more if you started explaining your reasoning from the ground up, actually.

----

[Kanna]

To regret something... is to recognize that you've made a mistake. And that... you can surmount it.

[Ogami]

Yeah, that's right. Kanna... let's do our best.

----

One down, five to go.

NEXT TIME: Punching women in the face for a good cause!, C'MON TELL ME HUH HUH C'MOOOOOOON, and the reason why I have so much freaking trouble gauging Sumire's reactions.

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 8, 2013

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Spirit Armor posted:

[Ogami]

Welp, I just finished a conversation with Kohran without falling into a suspiciously unnatural sleep, with all of my organs intact, and without any strange foreign objects inserted into various parts of my body.

[Ogami]

[Ogami]

Holy poo poo, no WONDER something felt off.

So...Ogami boy here misses the 'special treatment'?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
They actually referenced the extreme economic impracticality of a group of robots piloted by unpredictable youths?!! In THIS series?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Geostomp posted:

They actually referenced the extreme economic impracticality of a group of robots piloted by unpredictable youths?!! In THIS series?
No, they just mentioned that it's expensive. I can't see any special anti-demon force NOT being a black hole for money.

... Unless you count "four guys with katanas". Hm. :raise:

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Zereth posted:

No, they just mentioned that it's expensive. I can't see any special anti-demon force NOT being a black hole for money.

... Unless you count "four guys with katanas". Hm. :raise:

Except four guys with katanas are likely to be extremely powerful and, since this is anime, suffer from Shonen Appitite. Otherwise known as the ability to eat everything, everywhere, twice. That's probably more expensive than a team of anti-demon women with giant robots, hence the shift from "four guys with katana" to "six/seven women with robots".

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Except four guys with katanas are likely to be extremely powerful and, since this is anime, suffer from Shonen Appitite. Otherwise known as the ability to eat everything, everywhere, twice. That's probably more expensive than a team of anti-demon women with giant robots, hence the shift from "four guys with katana" to "six/seven women with robots".
True. Only Kanna can eat everything everywhere twice like fellas with Shonen Appetite (a spinoff group from Shonen Knife?). The rest of the crew doesn't consume nearly as much food.

Iris barely eats food at all, as the souls of the damned sustain her.

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

demota posted:

CannonFodder posted:

Eh, Ogami's mech looks pretty good as it is. Besides, do you really WANT to give gigantic and functional wings to a tiny steam-powered mech? Not only would it be completely impossible look kinda ridiculous, but he'd end up smacking his own allies left and right.

And the cost of re-feathering both wings after it sheds fifty billion feathers in a dramatic fashion, every single battle...

Gespenst posted:

Whew. I just now got caught up with the whole thread, it has provided a good few weeks worth of stuff to read. I've always been rather... morbidly curious about the series, and this has been a neat look at it. Thanks, Spirit Armor!

'Morbidly curious' is a pretty good way to put it, I'd think. :v: Glad you're liking the LP!

veekie posted:

So...Ogami boy here misses the 'special treatment'?

It's probably more of a mundane realization along the lines of "huh, this chair used to creak every single day for the past year, but it's stopped creaking. Weird."

Geostomp posted:

Hey, at least they've admitted that the group actually REQUIRES financial support, rather than the use of some magical fairy currency that never runs out.

Zereth posted:

... Unless you count "four guys with katanas". Hm.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I'm assuming that the transition from dudes-with-swords to armored-mecha-team was less of a cost issue and more of a "hey, it'd sure be nice if we didn't lose half our team every single battle" thing.

Of course, it's still kind of depressing that the old team was more powerful than a bunch of people in spirit-boosting kill machines. But hey, at least the Koubu are more defensively-oriented! Until they, uh, got torn apart by the Kouma.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I was following your LP back near the beginning, but kind of forgot about it until I happened to see it today.

When you started this LP, I still had a semester and a half of college left to go, was still living in Florida, didn't have my car, didn't have my dog, and wouldn't meet my current girlfriend for another three months.

I applaud you for your dedication, but suddenly feel very old. :(

Sennamontoya
Dec 31, 2008

Spirit Armor posted:

Eh, Ogami's mech looks pretty good as it is. Besides, do you really WANT to give gigantic and functional wings to a tiny steam-powered mech? Not only would it be completely impossible look kinda ridiculous, but he'd end up smacking his own allies left and right.

As much as I would normally would I just watched Turkish star wars, so I am currently on an anime/live action high, so nothing is impossible... besides the wings would be something closer to a jet pack or steam powered energy wings like in Code Geass... What has my anime club done to me? :gonk:

Sennamontoya fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 4, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Sennamontoya posted:

What has my anime club done to me? :gonk:

Broken you beyond all hope of repair.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Sennamontoya posted:

As much as I would normally would I just watched Turkish star wars, so I am currently on an anime/live action high, so nothing is impossible... besides the wings would be something closer to a jet pack or steam powered energy wings like in Code Geass... What has my anime club done to me? :gonk:

Nowhere near enough yet.

Sennamontoya
Dec 31, 2008

veekie posted:

Nowhere near enough yet.

Yea, and guess what I'll be watching over spring break... Time for Eva!

Whillenn
Jun 18, 2008
What the heck? This thing isn't done yet? I got pointed here by the LP recommendation thread a month ago, and I thought it had finished when I discovered the three four five pages of voting and the last boss fight.

Anyway, awesome LP Spirit Armor, sorry I missed the voting, the guy who links things in emotes is weird and wrong, they changed Maria now she sucks, what else... Iris is still creepy, Spirit Armor is still awesome, the new demons look neat. Oh, and I want more crack updates.

Sennamontoya
Dec 31, 2008

Whillenn posted:

What the heck? This thing isn't done yet? I got pointed here by the LP recommendation thread a month ago, and I thought it had finished when I discovered the three four five pages of voting and the last boss fight.

Anyway, awesome LP Spirit Armor, sorry I missed the voting, the guy who links things in emotes is weird and wrong, they changed Maria now she sucks, what else... Iris is still creepy, Spirit Armor is still awesome, the new demons look neat. Oh, and I want more crack updates.

You do realize that there are 2 people that do that and not just one right? Most of which have not been found by some of the other people on here for the second emote linker (best way to describe it I thought). and no they are not weird and wrong they are only showing fan art that other people have done.

Sennamontoya fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 15, 2009

Whillenn
Jun 18, 2008
No, I didn't notice. After clicking one of the emotes the first time it was called out in the thread I didn't click any others out of fear of what would lurk behind.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Whillenn posted:

No, I didn't notice. After clicking one of the emotes the first time it was called out in the thread I didn't click any others out of fear of what would lurk behind.

*evil cackling*

Sennamontoya
Dec 31, 2008

Whillenn posted:

Psh, it's only mindfuckery!

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!

Whillenn posted:

Shame. Y'missed some pretty mind-bending neat stuff. :downs:

Like that one

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
I'd say we're overdue for a new update, if only to avoid too many bizarre images hidden behind emoticons.

Schadenfraulein
Dec 23, 2006
a front row seat to the gun show

Wyvernil posted:

I'd say we're overdue for a new update, if only to avoid too many bizarre images hidden behind emoticons.

Define "too many." :downs:

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Whillenn posted:

they changed Maria now she sucks
BAH! I say! BAH! I, for one, love how Maria gets to be the love interest. The more wrecked the train, the better. I also like how Kohran is drugging her; this should lead to hilarious results.

[Maria]

And now that I'm back to normal, I don't bring you peace and love!

[Maria]

I bring you fear, famine, pestilence and...

[Kohran]

Time for a booster!

[Maria]

Good morning starshi~ne! The earth says he~llo! You twinkle above u~s! We twinkle bel~ow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sennamontoya
Dec 31, 2008

little_firebird posted:

Shame. Y'missed some pretty mind-bending neat stuff. :downs:

Like that one

Well, I have had my dose of mindfuckery for today... Now the question remains... should I attempt watching eva or will my mind explode, I only have 6 episodes left, hmmm...

• Locked thread