Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Spirit Armor posted:

[Ogami]

SON of a BITCH.

[Ayame]

What was that?

[Ogami]

Son of a bitch, MA'AM.

[Ayame]

That's more like it. Now get to dying, you young and handsome thing you.

And this is where I lost it for some reason.
And why did you have to write that last sentence as if she's into younger guys? :gonk:
While yes it pales in comparison to the stock-loli romance. But still.

And Im trying to remember, in which book did Cain pull something like that? I almost thought it was one of the commanding officers who did it and not Cain.
Such a shame that Ogami wasnt more like Ciaphas. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I just had a lovely past few days at work, and am now caught up.

Truly you are the solution to world peace. Just reading these updates makes me giggle with sadistic glee. And now, I'm eagerly awaiting for the evil teddy bear to steal the show!

Or kill Ogami, whichever gets a bigger laugh.

Lockmat
Oct 2, 2005

Come on, let's go set some prostitutes on fire.
Grimey Drawer

Spirit Armor posted:

[Ogami]

(I mustn't run away I mustn't run away I mustn't run away I mustn't run away I mustn't run away I mustn't run away I mustn't run away I mustn't run away I mustn't run away I mustn't run away I mustn't run away I mustn't run away I mustn't run away I mustn't run away I mustn't run away I mustn't run away I mustn't run away I mustn't run away I mustn't run away I mustn't run away I mustn't run away....)

Hang in there, kiddo

Dash Magnum
Jul 25, 2007

That's no moon...
It's a Face Station!

Spirit Armor posted:

- Deputy Commander Ayame Fujieda leads,
- Kohran Ri does machines (that's a fact, Jack!)
- Kanna Kirishima is cool but rude (gimme a break!)
- Kasumi Fujii is a party dude (PARTY!)*

Thank you so much for this. ^^^

I'm in tears and stitches simultaneously throughout this entire update. But when that reference specifically registered for me it was pure joy. Just...thanks so much.

And glad to see the Crazy Train make an appearance. Don't get me wrong, the blimp is kickin' rad too, but there's something about mecha-deployment via locomotive that's just so :black101:.

Wonderfully hilarious update there, Spirit Armor. Top notch!

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Love, Justice, and Mid-Season Upgrades Steam-Powered Robots.

LaserShark posted:

The new Ace Attorney game is out. The new assistant-girl is named Trucy. In the manual, on the page that describes examining evidence in 3D, Trucy is shown with the following speech balloon:

"Be sure to check out every nook and cranny!"

:froggonk:

... a little part of me died, of both laughter and fear.

serewit posted:

The token loli corollary - Raw, untamed power is always best left in the hands of psychotic ten-year old girls.

You'd think that they'd slip some suppressants into her meals or something, y'know? What sort of incompetent government organization would sleep well knowing that immense psychic/spiritual energy that could level parts of a city was only held back by the unspoiled innocence of childhood?

Oh, right. Same guy that doesn't even have the herewithal to keep a spare set of keys around so he can go drinking.

I'm pretty sure spiritual power suppressants haven't been invented yet, for one thing.

If they'd invented spiritual power suppressants, I think a whole lot of Sakura Wars' problems would be resolved pretty quickly. Why bother fighting the demon lords mano-a-mano when you could just have a bunch of snipers shoot them full of suppressants? Heck, why bother putting up with Maria's emo and Iris's KYA HA HA HA at all if you could just do the same to THEM?

... and then I realized that this would turn Sakura Wars into X-Men 3. :eng99:

GruntyThrst posted:

Yeah. The more I think about it, the more it is clear that, as the most vindictive, scheming, kiniving, seething evil force on the planet, not 10 year old should be able to level blocks with their thought alone. It's probably best to put her down.

You'd THINK that'd be the best course of action, but there's also the fact that people with enough spiritual power to move steam-powered spirit armor are rare enough as it IS. And besides, Iris is still young and innocent! :iamafag:

... come to think of it, I should probably stop trying to apply reason to Sakura Wars. I don't think it's working. :pseudo:

Glazius posted:

"Stop thinking of her like a human being with her own thoughts and feelings, and start thinking of her as a stock loli. We'll all be better off."

Japan. :sigh:

Also, if that's Ayame's best assessment of Iris, she's basically Kanna except with MIND MUSCLES instead of actual ones.

...really, come to think of it, "speaks her mind when she likes something" really applies to all of the pilots. Except Sakura because she's so tsundere you can hear the switch flip, and Maria, because admitting you like something is a sign of weakness.

1) For some reason, I'm liking the term MIND MUSCLES.

2) I'm convinced that Sakura is borderline yandere, and Maria is quite capable of speaking her mind so long as she has a pistol in her hands because that way no one will try disagreeing with her anyway.

Naveegunner posted:

Well, I just spent two nights reading this thread (who needs sleep?)

I liek sleep. :saddowns:

quote:

..Holy crap, you weren't making it up. Iris really IS evil, Maria really does always have that revolver. drat man, I thought you were joking.

This has to be one of the funniest and subtly disturbing games I've ever seen and it's drat awesome. Looking forward to the rest of your exploits in the crazy world of 1920s demon steampunk anime. :patriot:

Also, Ave Maria

It's going to be a long ride, and it's only going to get freakier better from here on out. :patriot:

Cooked Auto posted:

And this is where I lost it for some reason.
And why did you have to write that last sentence as if she's into younger guys? :gonk:
While yes it pales in comparison to the stock-loli romance. But still.

Well, she IS, isn't she? I mean, between the "I'LL SUCK YOUR FINGER" and the "OH, YOU, I WILL FEIGN ANGER AT YOUR PEEPING ON ME IN THE BATH BUT YOU'RE A YOUNG HEALTHY BOY", I'm really not sure what else to think anymore. :cry:

quote:

And Im trying to remember, in which book did Cain pull something like that? I almost thought it was one of the commanding officers who did it and not Cain.

I have no clue, come to think of it. It's just been kind of ingrained into my consciousness...

RedMagus posted:

I just had a lovely past few days at work, and am now caught up.

Truly you are the solution to world peace. Just reading these updates makes me giggle with sadistic glee. And now, I'm eagerly awaiting for the evil teddy bear to steal the show!

Or kill Ogami, whichever gets a bigger laugh.

They're not mutually exclusive

Lockmat posted:

Hang in there, kiddo

With any luck, Ogami's actions won't reduce the entire world to Tang.

Dash Magnum posted:

Thank you so much for this. ^^^

I'm in tears and stitches simultaneously throughout this entire update. But when that reference specifically registered for me it was pure joy. Just...thanks so much.

I had to! It's the Turtles.

And who doesn't like the Turtles? :patriot:

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 23, 2008

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Spirit Armor posted:

Well, she IS, isn't she? I mean, between the "I'LL SUCK YOUR FINGER" and the "OH, YOU, I WILL FEIGN ANGER AT YOUR PEEPING ON ME IN THE BATH BUT YOU'RE A YOUNG HEALTHY BOY", I'm really not sure what else to think anymore. :cry:

Look, in the absence of Soletta, somebody has to be leagues too cool for Ogami.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Spirit Armor posted:

1) For some reason, I'm liking the term MIND MUSCLES.

2) I'm convinced that Sakura is borderline yandere, and Maria is quite capable of speaking her mind so long as she has a pistol in her hands because that way no one will try disagreeing with her anyway.

With the way you've exaggerated the portrayal of Sakura from "occasional jealousy" into "psychotically-obsessed stalker", I can see that comparison.

At least, I assume a lot of that is comedic exaggeration. (Though Iris's destructive capabilities were only slightly exaggerated, so who knows?)

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Solomonic posted:

Look, in the absence of Soletta, somebody has to be leagues too cool for Ogami.

... how in the world is SOLETTA leagues too cool for Ogami? :raise: I mean, Leni is superior Soletta's cool and all, but my mind tends to shatter when attempting to draw any comparisons between her and Ayame.

Wyvernil posted:

With the way you've exaggerated the portrayal of Sakura from "occasional jealousy" into "psychotically-obsessed stalker", I can see that comparison.

At least, I assume a lot of that is comedic exaggeration. (Though Iris's destructive capabilities were only slightly exaggerated, so who knows?)

You've seen how jealous Sakura can get. Now just ask yourself this question: how much ISN'T Spirit Armor exaggerating? :tinfoil:

And now, a non sequitur.

O, RPG Maker 2000 and those who make games for it, I love you all. You and your playable Bob Ross.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
SA, you Philistine! :doom: I would invoke the Orihime malocchio on you, but this is way too damned good an LP to afford the liberty.

(seriously, though, it is. One of the only three I've got bookmarked. :) Keep up the good work.)

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Dear lord was this ever a long read - you've been doing a great job on this.

Also voting for Sumire, mostly out of fear of Muscles McBiceps.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

drat, I'm starting to wish we could vote for Ayame.

Also, I enjoyed the steam-powered spam bit far more than I probably should have.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Spirit Armor posted:

And now, a non sequitur.
Ok, I recognise Konata and the Almighty Ross, but who are the other two?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Revenant Threshold posted:

Ok, I recognise Konata and the Almighty Ross, but who are the other two?

Third looks like Marisa, fourth is from some yaoi manga.

... Why do I know these things? :gonk:

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

[Ogami]

(Alright... still got a couple of minutes before we arrive at Asakusa and face off against the greatest threat this world has ever known.)

[Ogami]

(... oh, and the Hive of Darkness, too. Almost forgot about them.)

[Ogami]

(Well, I've already written out another copy of my will, I've already said my prayers, and I'm just about finished crying into my coffee and feeling sorry for myself... I think I've run out of things to do. Guess I'll read the Koubu's operating manual again.)

[Ogami]

(With all the poo poo we have to cover up all the time, I'm surprised that we even have enough money left over to incorporate this logo into every drat thing we have.)

[Ogami]

("Imperial Assault Force: Oh, Sure, Everyone's Batshit Insane, But We Have This loving Nifty Logo.")

[Ogami]

(*sigh* My military is a goddamn mess.)

[Ogami]

(Oh-- OH, yeah, that's REAL funny, Kohran. God, doesn't she EVER get tired of running this thing into the ground? I think I'm starting to get USED to this thing, I'm not even quivering in fear anymore.)

[Ogami]

(... wish I could say the same about my bladder, though. I--)

[Ogami]

[Ogami]

Hahaha, you're silly. How can I hear writing on the screen?

[Ogami]

[Ogami]

Holy poo poo.

[Ogami]

How the hell can you type? You're a teddy bear, you don't even have any fingers?

----

[Ogami]

Oooh.

[Ogami]

I GUESS so. I mean, after all the poo poo I've been through, the freaking floating teddy bear coming alive and is sending brain waves into my computer doesn't seem all that farfetched anymore.

[Ogami]

... come to think of it, why ARE you so talkative all of a sudden?

[Ogami]

Ha ha ha. Oh, is THAT it? Tha--

[Ogami]

MY SOUL!? YOU ATE MY loving SOUL!?

[Ogami]

You can't just EAT part of someone's soul!! If I don't have ALL of my soul, where will I go after I die!?

[Ogami]

GIVE IT BACK!!

----

[Ogami]

[Ogami]

So she's a cheesecake?

[Ogami]

If she's NOT the little demonic hellbeast that I think she is, then she must be something else, for instance a cheesecake.

----

[Ogami]

You mean, "shut up and READ," right? Because it--

----

----

[Ogami]

... okay, I'm not going to make any comments about the "corrupted" part, OR about the whole "cramming souls into stuffed animals" thing, but... "destabilized"?

[Ogami]

... ya lost me.

----

----

----

[Ogami]

... so she's the incarnation of evil BECAUSE I've been fearing her, except when she was acting perfectly normal during those times when I... wasn't fearing her? Man, what the hell.

[Ogami]

-- wait, what am I supposed to do? Suddenly stop fearing her!? She's about to go on a rampage, and you're telling me this NOW?

----

[Ogami]

Wha-- Jean-Paul? Jean-Paul!?

----

[Ogami]

Jean-Paul!!!

[Ogami]

drat... it's just the manual now.

[Ogami]

... man. Even the operating manual will not help me now.

(MEANWHILE...)

----

----

[Iris]

Kyahahahaha!!

----

----

[Rasetsu]

[Rasetsu]

God, I can't wait until the Imperial Assault Force gets here.

Next time: The true beginning of the battle, rather than a random interlude!

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 24, 2012

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

That was so creepy.

Bravo.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Spirit Armor posted:

Oh god, it's worse than we thought. She's Schrodinger's Loli.

Locus Cosecant
Jan 12, 2008

Spirit Armor posted:

[Ogami]

Wha-- Jean-Paul? Jean-Paul!?

----

I lost it.

Grunduggerer
Jan 20, 2007

Spirit Armor posted:

die again, he means.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Spirit Armor posted:

Oh god... I see where this is going. :gonk:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
So wait, Iris's Koubu just teleports in front of the Hive of Darkness dude, then teleports out?

Wyvernil posted:

Oh god... I see where this is going. :gonk:
Which is...?

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Spirit Armour posted:

The horror.

The horror.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Was that a reference to the Persona 3 LP in there?

Love the way Jean Paul is developing.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Revenant Threshold posted:

The horror.

The horror.

There's only one way out, Ogami. :suicide:

After all, there's nothing to live for any more. You're dead in nearly all possible worlds at this point - and you're going to have to do something very, very stupid in front of a passel of highly jealous and heavily armed women.

You gonna die one way or another!

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I am not sure what the gently caress I just read, but I hope there will be more of it.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

ZeeToo posted:

I'm pretty sure that was. Which means the update was even more awesome by proxy.

You know, I'm kind of freaking out here. It seems that while Iris has the crazy Lovecraftian mind powers, Ogami is sort of a psychic Iris puppetmaster subconsciously, and I honestly can't decide what is more dangerous: crazy vengeful Iris with her mental death beams, or remarkably unstable Ogami indirectly controlling Iris and said mental death beams.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Sindai posted:

Which is...?

It's a Haruhi Suzumiya reference. If you watched that show, you'll know just what 'sleeping beauty' means...

...and cringe at the horror of what's sure to ensue. :gonk:

Terashell
Dec 19, 2007

Gaben-chan~

Wyvernil posted:

It's a Haruhi Suzumiya reference. If you watched that show, you'll know just what 'sleeping beauty' means...

...and cringe at the horror of what's sure to ensue. :gonk:

Damnit, now I need to go watch the entire thing again and reget it... can I have a hint at which episode?

JimmyT64
Oct 27, 2007
I'm Special!

Terashell posted:

Damnit, now I need to go watch the entire thing again and reget it... can I have a hint at which episode?

Right at the end, pretty much.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
Google is my friend!
OH GOD, GOOGLE IS NOT MY FRIEND.

The upcoming horror. :gonk:

Also, I'm not sure if you've closed the votes already, but I'll throw one in for Sumire. Hey, she's the only one who won't kill Ogami.

...At least, for long enough for him to suffer something horrible beforehand.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
drat, I really hope my package reaches you before the end of this chapter. It'd be sweet.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Anyone still wondering about the sleeping beauty reference - it's at about 5:00 in this video. But hey, enomous spoilerage.

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 26, 2008

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Iris's Koubu is gold?

Iris's Koubu is poinging around like a ferret on refined sugar?

How long did it take you to "Internet up" what Jean-Paul had to say? That whole sequence was hilarious.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE
My god. This LP is turning into something that'll be remembered around here for ages.

Dash Magnum
Jul 25, 2007

That's no moon...
It's a Face Station!

Solomonic posted:

Oh god, it's worse than we thought. She's Schrodinger's Loli.

No, no, this is the secret to her defeat! If Iris' state of being is related to the thoughts of those around her then she has, in effect, the same weakness as fairies in "Peter Pan"!

Quickly, Ogami, chant with me!
I DON'T BELIEVE IN LOLIS!

Oh who am I kidding, one man could never hope to overcome the net positive effect of an entire nation. :sigh:

Incredible update, even for an interlude section. Both a Matrix theme for the whole update and a stealth Haruhi reference! Simply fantastic! Can't wait for the climatic battle between good, evil, and demon-waif.

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

serewit posted:

Third looks like Marisa, fourth is from some yaoi manga.

... Why do I know these things? :gonk:

Yeah. It's Marisa from the Touhou series (made popular in part by the IOSYS flash), and Abe from Kusomiso Technique (which is, hands-down, the most infamous yaoi manga in existence.

(Seriously, don't ask what Abe's attacks are, you don't want to know).

Grunduggerer posted:

die again, he means.

There's no guarantee that Jean-Paul even REMEMBERS that much from his previous life, and that's assuming that he isn't a smattering of shredded souls that Iris pasted together into one semi-coherent mind.

Isn't Iris just adorable? :gonk:

Sindai posted:

So wait, Iris's Koubu just teleports in front of the Hive of Darkness dude, then teleports out?

Yup.

Of all the qualifying adjectives that can be used to describe Iris's personality, "logical" has never been one of them.

ZeeToo posted:

Ooh yes. I really like it, but I haven't played that far into the game yet, so I'm afraid to read more at the risk of spoilers. :notsmith:

serewit posted:

There's only one way out, Ogami. :suicide:

After all, there's nothing to live for any more. You're dead in nearly all possible worlds at this point - and you're going to have to do something very, very stupid in front of a passel of highly jealous and heavily armed women.

You gonna die one way or another!

I'm sure he'll adapt. He's managed to survive arguably worse situations thus far! :v: maybe.

Thuryl posted:

I am not sure what the gently caress I just read, but I hope there will be more of it.

As much as I'd love to do the rest of the updates in Nagato-style computer messages, well...

GruntyThrst posted:

You know, I'm kind of freaking out here. It seems that while Iris has the crazy Lovecraftian mind powers, Ogami is sort of a psychic Iris puppetmaster subconsciously, and I honestly can't decide what is more dangerous: crazy vengeful Iris with her mental death beams, or remarkably unstable Ogami indirectly controlling Iris and said mental death beams.

EVERYBODY has a measure of control over Iris's state of mind, so it's not ALL Ogami's fault. It's just MOSTLY his fault because she's so stuck on him.

Though I DO have to say that the latter is probably more frightening.

Canuck-Errant posted:

drat, I really hope my package reaches you before the end of this chapter. It'd be sweet.

It's already here. I'm just waiting for the appropriate time to unveil it.

By the way. I was expecting something like this, but still, you... you are a horrible horrible human being and I hope you burn in that special part of purgatory that they reserve for totally awesome people. It won't stop staring at me oh god

[s posted:

Moist von Lipwig[/s] Glazius]Iris's Koubu is gold?

Iris's Koubu is poinging around like a ferret on refined sugar?

How long did it take you to "Internet up" what Jean-Paul had to say? That whole sequence was hilarious.

Yellow, actually.

And it really didn't take too long, actually... two-frame animations are the height of my gif-making abilities. Once I got into the groove of it, it was maybe an extra minute for each picture.

One Legged Cat posted:

My god. This LP is turning into something that'll be remembered around here for ages.

In a good way, I hope. :notsmith:

Dash Magnum posted:

Incredible update, even for an interlude section. Both a Matrix theme for the whole update and a stealth Haruhi reference! Simply fantastic! Can't wait for the climatic battle between good, evil, and demon-waif.

Given that most everyone's picked up on the significance of the reference (or at least pointed it out if they didn't get it), I don't think it can be called "stealth" anymore. :xd:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Spirit Armor posted:

By the way. I was expecting something like this, but still, you... you are a horrible horrible human being and I hope you burn in that special part of purgatory that they reserve for totally awesome people. It won't stop staring at me oh god

When I saw it in the comic shop I debated with myself over whether or not to buy it. I mean, it was on sale, but it was... frightening. It was in my room a good month or two before I finally had the nerve to send it away... It was in the plastic bag I'd gotten it in until I finally mailed it away. I couldn't stand to have it stare out at me... :gonk:
I'm glad it got to you in decent condition. though. Wasn't sure if it'd get through Canada Post, Customs and the USPS without thorough manglinghandling but I guess it did.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Terashell posted:

And to think I already used this image...

edit: Iris doesn't have a ponytail, does she? If so :gonk:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 27, 2008

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

How the hell can he say something like that with that facial expression? It does not line up and it is freaking me the gently caress out.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

Spirit Armor posted:

You mean that special section of hell reservered for child molesters Japan and people who talk in theaters? drat, now I'm eagerly awaiting to see what this special present is.

Excellent work with the update, and Jean-Paul... now I feel kinda bad for him. And I almost want to hug Iris and tell her it's going to be ok.

Almost. the insane gibbering fear of the demon-spawn is still very strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

CannonFodder posted:

And to think I already used this image...
We never do find out what Kyon's real name is, do we?

Perhaps Ogami escaped the theatre to leave behind the random insanity, girls falling head over heels for him randomly, the grand deception, and to escape psycho reality-warping girls.

• Locked thread