Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...why am I thinking that leaping through the air outside of your giant robot is the perfect time for an incoming sniper shot?

Also, does this suggest that Iris moves by teleporting? Making her effectively a "flying unit"? Combined with Ogami's Protect command that would a) give you basically a mobile no-sell and b) let you say "believe in me who believes in you".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Just out of curiosity, Spirit Armor, but how much more of the game is left? This LP has been going on for over half a year, and I'm wondering if it will be in the running for longest-running LP ever.

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008

Moon Slayer posted:

Just out of curiosity, Spirit Armor, but how much more of the game is left? This LP has been going on for over half a year, and I'm wondering if it will be in the running for longest-running LP ever.

I would infer, from the fact that I've read everyone's spoilers and the fact that this is still chapter four, that we still have a long ways to go.

'Course, I could be completely wrong. I do remember him stating that he was going to be doing all of the games though...

Might this become a MegaMechaThread? God my puns suck :smith:

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

Moon Slayer posted:

Actually, the Starfox 64 video LP is just a couple months away from being a year old now. Fucker still hasn't uploaded the final video.

GoodShipNostalgia
May 7, 2007

"The good ship Nostalgia for Infinity. Still very much as you left her."

One Legged Cat posted:

Actually, the Starfox 64 video LP is just a couple months away from being a year old now. Fucker still hasn't uploaded the final video.
When did the Deus Ex one start? I think that still holds the record. Of course if you'd count all the games as one LP then I could easily see it lasting for another 2 or 3 years...

(I hope that's not too disheartening, Spirit Armor!)

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

My God, the Iris thing was adorable.

I'd almost be tempted to vote for her, except I'd rather see it as an adorable "adopted sister" relationship, and I expect Japan does not see it in such an innocent way. And that would be really, really icky.

Cuveball Sliders
Oct 9, 2007

Sparda219 posted:

I know that scene with Iris was supposed to be sweet... but with your commentary and... *shudder* Ogami TOUCHED it. o____o But at least he's alive!

Also, Commisar Maria is the best idea ever. I bet that's how she led the others before our favorite Ensign showed up.

"FEAR ME! But FOLLOW!"

Why isn't she still in command? It's pretty clear that Ogami wasn't hand picked for his strategic brilliance or commanding presence. Was it just the inherent mysogyny in the Military of the day, demanding that a man be in command of any national defense group?

Is any justification given in the actual storyline for Ogami's promotion beyond what we saw at the beginning of this thread?

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

GoodShipNostalgia posted:

When did the Deus Ex one start? I think that still holds the record. Of course if you'd count all the games as one LP then I could easily see it lasting for another 2 or 3 years...

Pfft, the Planescape torment thread started on Dec 03, 2006. 15 months baby and barely 1/4th done!

Come on Spirit Armor, go for the long running gold!

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

RedMagus posted:

Pfft, the Planescape torment thread started on Dec 03, 2006. 15 months baby and barely 1/4th done!

I swear to god, the thread starters in this forum are loving insane. They spend their free time over the course of years to play through games for People on the Internet who get mad (or at least sad) when you don't update fast enough. Who would willingly put themselves through that?

Do I care though? Heck no! Bring on the entertaining insanity!

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

McFetusBurger posted:

Why isn't she still in command? It's pretty clear that Ogami wasn't hand picked for his strategic brilliance or commanding presence. Was it just the inherent mysogyny in the Military of the day, demanding that a man be in command of any national defense group?

Is any justification given in the actual storyline for Ogami's promotion beyond what we saw at the beginning of this thread?

I don't think it's the idea that a man needs to be in charge. I just think Ogami REALLY pissed off one of the higher ups. Why else would he be sent there?

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Love, Justice, and Mid-Season Upgrades Steam-Powered Robots.
So! The UPDATE will probably be coming tomorrow; tonight, if we're lucky. I've already gotten most of the pictures out and Waffle'd, so all that's left to do is to craft the update itself... which, quite frankly, takes a while.

Grunduggerer posted:

Awww...

Also, Iris' Koubu has a ribbon on the back. That's so... precious.

I feel like I've eaten a pound of sugar.

You ain't seen nothin' yet, I'm afraid.

TapamN posted:

Also, in the Dreamcast/Saturn version, the part about catching Iris played differently. You went into battle mode and had to maneuver Oogami and Sakura to opposite sides of Iris' Koubu.

I remember reading about this somewhere.

Given her ability to phase through solid objects, this must've been kind of insane.

loving awesome. Shine on you crazy ticket-taker you.

Edit: Now I vote you ignore that this ever happened and give Iris the cold shoulder.

If I could, I would, but I can't.

serewit posted:

Or am I just too warped by the whole thing to realize how utterly disturbing the entire experience is?

This.

Try summing up the Iris-related events leading up to this scene without relying on words similar to "steam-powered mecha," "possessed teddy bear," "hacking into a 1920-era steam-powered computer," "mecha-piloting demons," "psychic French girl," and "telekinesis," and you'll see what I mean. {Granted, this applies to the series as a whole, too.)

DNE posted:

I think I like the butt-kicking Ogami. It's good to know the commander can get a grip sometimes.

It's entirely likely that Ogami is, in the depths of his heart, a hot-blooded romantic with a flair for the dramatic.

It's just buried under the usual mess of trauma and scarring both mental and physical.

Cooked Auto posted:

Wait. Was that an MGS2 reference with the hair or am I seeing it wrong?

It might have been... if I had ever played MGS2 before.

I've been intending to catch up on the series, but I'm epically horrible at MGS. All I can ever get Snake to do is die.

Snot Man posted:

This LP is so awesome. I know people complain that this subforum is full of sucking up, but I'm seriously loving this to bits. I kind of regret that pretty much all updates are so consistently awesome because it would get old if I wrote a post with nothing but gushing in it every time, but that, right there, was EPIC.

I look forward to the day Ogami's awesome hot-blooded hair pierces through the heavens.

Glad you're liking this!

... and that day might come sooner than you'd think.

Ryand-Smith posted:

Wow, the resolution to the entire Iris = The Dark one arc was, that was well done Spirit Armor. Honestly, it was quite humorous. So, a vote for Kanna, as the fist of the South needs more love here!

Oh, it ain't over yet-- there're still a few loose ends left to tie up.

Zaphiel posted:

I know the thread is full of this, but I just stumbled on your thread a few days ago and I've been hooked. Not only are you translating the game for us, but you're going the extra mile by drawning amazing pictures and writing hilarious extra content as well!
There are few Let's Play threads where I actually laugh out loud while I'm reading them, and this is one of them.

Bravo, Spirit Armor! Bravo!

Of course, now that I'm caught up I have to wait for updates like the rest of the people here instead of having 35 pages to read through at once. On the other hand, now I can vote for poor Ogami's torturer girlfriend! Yay!

Welcome to the thread! And let's just hope that it won't take another 35 pages to finish the next four chapters there's still a lot left to do, so...

Dash Magnum posted:

Holy poo poo... references to Gurren Lagaan, All-Star Batman and Robin, and Spartacus. And all in one huge, glorious update. Utterly awesome.

And I have no idea whether to be amused or frightened by the fact that when Iris's Koubu opens, it fires her out like a cannon. (Okay so she was probably jumping out, but that's what it looked like, dammit!)

I wouldn't put it past Kohran to install that into every Koubu as a last-ditch attack: when you're out of ammo, why not shoot the pilot at the enemy? (Mileage may vary between individual pilots).

The scary thing is that AT LEAST Kanna and Maria are probably capable of downing Wakiji without the use of their Koubu.

Sparda219 posted:

I know that scene with Iris was supposed to be sweet... but with your commentary and... *shudder* Ogami TOUCHED it. o____o But at least he's alive!

Also, Commisar Maria is the best idea ever. I bet that's how she led the others before our favorite Ensign showed up.

"FEAR ME! But FOLLOW!"

Hey, I thought the scene was pretty cute. :frogbon: The game designers were nice enough to leave out any oh-so-wacky advances on the part of Ogami, so I'm willing to give 'em a chance and just take it at face value.

Also, Maria is kinder than that! She'd just wound and maim THREATEN to shoot people.

Glazius posted:

...why am I thinking that leaping through the air outside of your giant robot is the perfect time for an incoming sniper shot?

Rasetsu enjoys a good soap opera as much as anyone else, I suppose!

quote:

Also, does this suggest that Iris moves by teleporting? Making her effectively a "flying unit"? Combined with Ogami's Protect command that would a) give you basically a mobile no-sell and b) let you say "believe in me who believes in you".

Pretty much. There are, however, a few caveats that (in most situations) prevents Iris from becoming a mobile battleship all on her own, but we'll be getting to that later.

Moon Slayer posted:

:gonk: I try not to think about that too much.

However, we're still less than halfway through the game. I mean, we still have about four more character backgrounds to cover. Between that and real life, it's going to be a while yet.

Crono S. Magnum posted:

'Course, I could be completely wrong. I do remember him stating that he was going to be doing all of the games though...

Might this become a MegaMechaThread? God my puns suck

I'm going to be doing all the main games. This means 1-V, pretty much.

And I'm definitely making new threads for the other games, and that's assuming that I won't have to make a NEW thread just for this game. On that note, does anyone happen to know the max post/page count per thread?

Also, shouldn't it be 'Super Robot Thread'?

McFetusBurger posted:

I don't think they ever justify it in the games (or if they did, I forgot), but I seem to recall the anime's justification going as follows: "hmm, if we leave the Flower Division as an all-female group, they'll just end up killing each other. Let's get a MAN on the team as a unifying force, because we all know that A MAN is the only thing capable of unifying a bunch of GURLS HURR HURR KITCHEN, etc."

So, yeah. Misogyny seems about right. On the other hand, there's also the fact that it's quite rare to find a man with enough spirit energy to pilot a Koubu-- it's predominantly women who pass those requirements.

One Legged Cat posted:

RedMagus posted:

Come on Spirit Armor, go for the long running gold!

:suicide:

RedMagus posted:

My God, the Iris thing was adorable.

I'd almost be tempted to vote for her, except I'd rather see it as an adorable "adopted sister" relationship, and I expect Japan does not see it in such an innocent way. And that would be really, really icky.

To say the least... yeah, probably. And even if OGAMI simply saw her as some kind of adopted sister, Iris will continue needling him and/or hitting on him and/or etc, which would be... frightening.

And that's not even taking into account everyone else's reactions.

Pendragon posted:

I swear to god, the thread starters in this forum are loving insane. They spend their free time over the course of years to play through games for People on the Internet who get mad (or at least sad) when you don't update fast enough. Who would willingly put themselves through that?

Do I care though? Heck no! Bring on the entertaining insanity!

It's a very refreshing kind of insanity. And it's one that appears to be contagious as all hell. :v:

Slime posted:

I don't think it's the idea that a man needs to be in charge. I just think Ogami REALLY pissed off one of the higher ups. Why else would he be sent there?

I can't really imagine Ogami getting one of his higher-ups angry enough to get his rear end kicked all the way down to the Grand Imperial Theater. He tends to do reasonably well with rational, normal people.

This is, of course, assuming that those higher-ups' creation of an all-female theater troupe-slash-mecha assault force is the product of a rational, normal mind.

... Ogami's hosed.

Grunduggerer
Jan 20, 2007

Spirit Armor posted:

I don't think they ever justify it in the games (or if they did, I forgot), but I seem to recall the anime's justification going as follows: "hmm, if we leave the Flower Division as an all-female group, they'll just end up killing each other. Let's get a MAN on the team as a unifying force, because we all know that A MAN is the only thing capable of unifying a bunch of GURLS HURR HURR KITCHEN, etc."

So, yeah. Misogyny seems about right. On the other hand, there's also the fact that it's quite rare to find a man with enough spirit energy to pilot a Koubu-- it's predominantly women who pass those requirements.

I just figured the government looked for a soldier that could also pilot a Koubu. What I wonder is why the story had Ogami be from the Navy. The Army would be the sword wielding samurai equivalent.

But then nothing in Sakura Taisen was designed to make sense so nevermind.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Spirit Armor posted:

And I'm definitely making new threads for the other games, and that's assuming that I won't have to make a NEW thread just for this game. On that note, does anyone happen to know the max post/page count per thread?

I don't think there is one as such, but if you start to see weird glitches like posts appearing out of temporal order it's time to start a new thread. I know that happened in a couple of the Obama threads, but they were running to 100 pages or more.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Grunduggerer posted:

I just figured the government looked for a soldier that could also pilot a Koubu. What I wonder is why the story had Ogami be from the Navy. The Army would be the sword wielding samurai equivalent.

But then nothing in Sakura Taisen was designed to make sense so nevermind.

The IJN was much more prestigious than the IJA, especially around that time.

Dash Magnum
Jul 25, 2007

That's no moon...
It's a Face Station!

McFetusBurger posted:

I always thought it was because Ogami's actually been through Japan's version of Officer Training, while Maria's just really good at filling people full of holes.

I mean let's face it; sure Maria is the best 'soldier' on the the team, but that doesn't necessarily make her the best 'leader'. Especially given that her idea of giving commands is to start shooting out kneecaps.

Spirit Armor posted:

I can't really imagine Ogami getting one of his higher-ups angry enough to get his rear end kicked all the way down to the Grand Imperial Theater. He tends to do reasonably well with rational, normal people.

This is, of course, assuming that those higher-ups' creation of an all-female theater troupe-slash-mecha assault force is the product of a rational, normal mind.

The first time you meet Ogami in the manga, it's during a battle exercise from previously mentioned training, which was supposed to serve as a sort of "Kobayahsi Marufuckyoucadets" type lesson where the cadets are facing off against infantry backed up with tanks. During the exercise Ogami (with the help of his friend-who-is-also-a-ninja) manages to capture a tank, which in turn, supremely cheeses off the commander who was leading the exercise. So that could be the guy who apparently has it out for poor Ogami.

Along those lines, that was one thing I liked about the manga that doesn't really seem to come out quite as well in the game: yes, Ogami is utterly inept when it comes to dealing with the ladies under his command, but as a military officer he's at least marginally competent. :unsmith:

EDIT: I can't remember whether the manga had him in the army or the navy. If it was navy, then why the hell were they fighting tanks on foot? :confused:

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Spirit Armor posted:

:suicide:

You can do it! Become an internet superstar!

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

Spirit Armor posted:

Maybe spoiler: I might be wrong, but I seem to recall from *somewhere* that the reason they picked Ogami is that they needed a commander that could not only use a Koubu, but emotionally galvanize the Flower Division (possibly for reasons relating to Deadly Hot Spring Attack). Maria, for all her mad skillz, doesn't have that particular leadership trait.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

quote:

... Ichiro Ogami would belong to her... forever.
:3: D'awwwwwwww

"Who do you love most?"
KANNA IS THE ONLY RIGHT CHOICE.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Thuryl posted:

I don't think there is one as such, but if you start to see weird glitches like posts appearing out of temporal order it's time to start a new thread. I know that happened in a couple of the Obama threads, but they were running to 100 pages or more.

There have been a couple of thousand page threads in helldump, so I don't think you're going to be running out of space anytime soon.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Patrick Spens posted:

There have been a couple of thousand page threads in helldump, so I don't think you're going to be running out of space anytime soon.

Indeed, compared to a few of the hundred-page LPs I've seen, 36 pages really isn't that much. It just seems longer because of the size of the updates we've been getting.

(Of course, chances are we'll hit page 100 before this is over anyway, since we're not even halfway through...)

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008

Wyvernil posted:

Indeed, compared to a few of the hundred-page LPs I've seen, 36 pages really isn't that much. It just seems longer because of the size of the updates we've been getting.

(Of course, chances are we'll hit page 100 before this is over anyway, since we're not even halfway through...)

Well, I know he has my support through this. Seriously Spirit Armor, you rock

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

--------
:siren:VIDEO LINK!:siren:

The Chapter 4 Battle, p1!

Google Version!
--------

----
[Ogami]

So, Ayame-san. How's the Rolling Thunder coming along?

[Ayame]

Oh, I've already flipped it back over!

[Ogami]

You what?

[Ayame]

It wasn't particularly difficult. I mean, all I needed to do was initiate the Rolling Thunder's transfo--

[Ayame]

... er, but nevermind that. Tell Kohran that she owes me money, alright?

[Ogami]

Oh, don't worry, we've ALL been reminding her of that fact.

[Ayame]

Come to think of it, shouldn't you be worrying about getting teleported into a deathtrap?

[Ogami]

It won't be a problem, Ayame-san. For some reason, I'm feeling better than I have in while.

----

----
[Ogami]

See?

[Tsubaki]

It's true... his spirital energy readings are at a record high.

[Ayame]

Really? That's good. With that much strength, he'll be able to fend them off himself while the others focus on opening the Kaminari Gate--

----

----
[Tsubaki]

... his readings just dropped back down again, Ayame-san.

[Ayame]

Yuri, would it be at all possible for you to try and cut the comm channel between Sakura and Ogami's Koubu?

[Yuri]

We've been trying to get it cut for months, Ayame-san.

----

----

Sadly, you can't Protect yourself from harm.

----
[Ogami]

DAMMit.

[Ogami]

Sumire-kun!

----

----
[Sumire]

Why, Ensign... I don't know what to s--

----

----
[Ogami]

Naaah, screw THAT, I'm Protecting Kanna.

[Sumire]

What!?

[Ogami]

-- er, well, I mean, she's going to be up front punching people in the face, so--

[Sumire]

... and I will just end up stuck in the back row, unable to get anything but the last hit in?

[Ogami]

Yeah, exactly! I--

[Ogami]

-- wait, no, that's not what I--

[Sumire]

OH HO, SO YOU WERE THINKING THAT!!

[Ogami]

Well, no, I... uh....

----

----
[Ogami]

Mountain strategy!

----

----
[Sumire]

Don't you dare ignore me, Ensign, I'll show you just how powerf--

----

----
[Ogami]

SORRY, SUMIRE-KUN, I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER ALL THIS ROUKO MEKKYAKU KAITOU RANMA!!!

----

----

----
[Ogami]

Thanks, Sakura-kun, I--

[Ogami]

'My'?

[Sakura]

Yes! 'My'!

[Ogami]

Why!?

[Sakura]

Because!

[Iris]

No!

[Sakura]

Yes!

[Iris]

... maybe?

[Sakura]

Half?

[Iris]

Agreed!

[Ogami]

Jesus.

[Yuri]

It's dropping again, Ayame-san. Can't we do anything to save him?

[Ayame]

... no, leave him be. It's the inevitable hurdle that every young man (or woman) who comes in close contact with a bevy of attractive young women (or men) must jump in order to survive in this beautiful yet cruel world.

----

----

The rest of the stage isn't particularly large; the Flower Division is basically facing the Kaminari Gate.

----

----
[Kohran]

... th' Captain ain't even here, Kanna. He's stuck back behind that gate over there.

[Kanna]

... oh yeah. That's right.

[Kanna]

Who else will be there for me when I'm feeling down?

[Kasumi]

Kanna's spiritual energy readings are dropping rapidly!!

[Ayame]

Good lord. I wouldn't have thought it possible, but... are her feelings for him THAT strong?

[Kanna]

Guess I'll have to find a new punching bag for the time being. Hey, Maria--

[Maria]

No.

[Kanna]

Ah well. I'll satisfy myself with Sumire. 'Ey, Sumire!

----

[Iris]

Yup! We're all together!! It's a lot of fun!!

----
[Ogami]

Whatever you say, lil' miss "I-hate-war."

[Iris]

Did you say something, Oniichan?

[Ogami]

Ha ha ha, nothing at all, Iris.

[Jean-Paul]

(... didn't you say that you weren't afraid of Iris as a demonic hellbeast anymore?)

[Ogami]

Yeah, but I'm perfectly within my rights to be scared of a little girl for being a little girl.

----

[Kanna]

Right, right. But you're kinda small, Iris, so don't push yourself now.

[Iris]

Iris isn't a child! Kanna, aren't you just too big!?

:iceburn:

[Kanna]

Hahahahaha! My bad, Iris. Now then, we're all counting on you.

[Iris]

Yup! Leave it to me!! Iris'll do her best!!

The switch is located roughly in this direction, though I'll have to cleave through quite a few Wakiji to get at it.

Granted, they're just the usual batch of cannon fodder that we've been fighting this entire time, so...

... once again, they're not particularly difficult to take down.

Meanwhile, it's talkin' time! :neckbeard:

[Iris]

Yup! It's really good!! Iris loves this Koubu!!

[Kohran]

That's right, that's right. After all, it's a top-class Koubu that I'd skipped lunch t' fine-tune!

[Iris]

That's amazing! Hey, hey! Which part is that amazing!?

[Kohran]

Hmhmhmhmhmhm.... that, I can't tell ya.

[Kohran]

Well, ain't that alright? C'mon, do yer best~!

[Iris]

Eh~!? Tell me~!! Kohran, you tease~!!

... I think we all know what THIS means.

Perhaps intelligently, Rasetsu set things up so that the Wakiji would have crates to hide behind, both as barricades and as objects meant to obstruct anyone trying to get to that switch.

----

Perhaps it would have been better if Rasetsu had remembered to tell the Wakiji themselves.

Maria is sent over to help Sakura out a bit, being the hard worker that she is.

... of course, nobody ELSE can be assed to do any work.

[Iris]

Eheheheh! Isn't it~!?

[Sumire]

However, in any case, it would be so much better if you had made it more flashy.
By all means, shall we add on some more frills and lace?

[Iris]

Really!? Iris loves frills~!! Let's add a whole lot~!!

[Ogami]

B... both of you, you haven't forgotten that the Imperial Assault Force is a secret brigade, have you?

[Iris]

Ah... that's right. Our group is a secret, isn't it.

[Sumire]

... it cannot be helped. We shall have to wait until next time to make your Koubu flashier.

[Iris]

Yes, let's~!

----

And this... is Iris's Koubu.

Like Kanna, Iris's movement phase is pretty much open-ended and free as a bird...

With the exception that she passes through almost EVERYTHING.

----

'Course, she has to end her turn in a corporeal state, otherwise the creatures of the warp will tear her apart.

[Iris]

Yup! Sakura, let's do our best!!

[Sakura]

That's right. We're all counting on you, Iris.

[Iris]

But... I won't give you Oniichan. Because he's Iris's lover!

[Sakura]

R, really?

[Iris]

Ehehehehehhehehehe...

[Sakura]

Ohohohohohohohoho...

[Ogami]

S... somehow, I feel like I should be scared...

----

----

And meanwhile, Ogami gets thrashed.

... it doesn't particularly hurt him, but bless their hearts, they just try SO hard.

----

For once, perhaps, Ogami is actually able to kick rear end without getting completely torn apart in the process.

[Ogami]

Alright!

... although his finishing quotes need some work.

Kanna moves in to help clean up the Koubu...

And Sakura moves up to wait for the gates to open as I was under the mistaken impression that I'd have to physically walk a Koubu through the open gates in order to trigger the boss battle event.

Kohran helps by indiscriminately blowing poo poo up.

----
[Kanna]

Uh-oh.

[Ogami]

Kanna! Heads-up!

[Ogami]

HRRRRRRRRRGH--!

[Kanna]

... Captain, what're you tryin' to do?

[Ogami]

Push you out of harm's way.

[Kanna]

Oh, THAT? Haha, you're gonna need to work out a LOT more if you want to try and push ME around.

[Ogami]

A... anyways!

----

----

----
[Kanna]

And now that you found a way to teleport outta that deathtrap, that's one less thing that we have to worry about--

[Kanna]

... Captain, why the hell did you just jump back IN to the deathtrap?

[Ogami]

Well, y'know... it wouldn't be nice.

[Kanna]

Heh?

[Ogami]

Can you imagine how many months he must've been waiting to put his lovingly-crafted plan into effect?
I don't think that it'd be right to just ESCAPE from his trap, you know? It's probably going to be the only time that the poor bastard'll have the spotlight.

[Kanna]

... I guess you got a point there. Hey, go beat the ever-loving crap outta those Wakiji, okay? We'll be there in a few.

[Ogami]

Right. Oh, and tell Kohran that she still owes Ayame money, okay?

[Rasetsu]

... this isn't a battle. It's a goddamn ice cream social.

----

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 24, 2012

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

--------
:siren:VIDEO LINK!:siren:

The Chapter 4 Battle, p2!

Google Version!
--------

[Iris]

It's alright! Iris can do this by herself!!
Maria, if you get hurt, Iris can heal you!! So...
Go out and take down those Wakiji with all your strength, okay? It's a promise!

[Maria]

R, really...? I... I'll think about it, okay?

Sumire joins Sakura in watching the gate. Also,

IRIS

... moves deeper into enemy territory.

----

----

----
[Ogami]

Why won't anyone praise me anymore?

[Ayame]

Oh, don't worry about that, Ogami-kun. I've just cut off all inter-Koubu communication to your own unit.

[Ogami]

... does this mean...?

[Ayame]

Yes, Ogami-kun. You won't be bothered by everyone now. So--

[Ayame]

... seriously, Ogami-kun, you don't need to cry.

[Ogami]

I'm just... so... HAPPY... ... thank you...

[Ayame]

Just keep on truckin', Ogami-kun. You can thank me later.

----

The utter destruction continues. Why Rasetsu doesn't simply have the bulk of his forces thrash Asakusa while the Flower Division's preoccupied getting to the gate switch-- instead of wasting manpower GUARDING said gate switch-- remains an incomprehensible mystery.

This is Iris's attack radius. It's an area-of-effect attack, much like Kohran's, except bigger and centered around Iris herself. Everything within this radius is attacked (with the exception of Maria, thankfully).

So what, dear readers, would you think that Iris's attack animation looks like? Telekinesis that slams the enemy into the ground? Blasts of psychic power that are capable of shearing the heads off Wakiji? Demon-summoning?

NO! IT'S RAZZLE-DAZZLE! :v: WHEEEEEEE!

(It's also a bit more violent than it looks.)

And all of a sudden, combination attacks!

[Iris]

Sensei~, I have a question~!

[Maria]

A, afterwards, okay?

Naturally, Iris's quotes tend to be whimsical in nature.

----

Its effectiveness is undeniable, however.

----

----

----
[Ogami]

... is it just me, or is Iris taking more damage than she should be?

[Ogami]

What? Jean-Paul? ... I did everything that you told me to!

[Ogami]

So why's she--

[Ogami]

[Ogami]

... you lost me.

----

[Ogami]

What!? I kissed her forehead!

[Ogami]

... really?

[Ogami]

Of course I have! It's the one with the apple and the seven dwarves, right?

----

[Ogami]

To make her a little bit stronger, right?

[Ogami]

Wha-- OHSHI--

----

----

[Ogami]

... how? And come to think of it, where ARE you?

[Ogami]

Yeah, and YOU hadn't bothered to wash up when I kissed you earlier today, and you didn't see ME complaining. How'd you GET down there?

[Ogami]

Yeah, yeah, 'special computer powers,' I know. Well, here we go!

[Ogami]

Hey, Iris! Catch!

----

----

----

[Iris]

Oniichan! You brought Jean-Paul with you? -- I caught him!

[Ogami]

Yeah, uh, you'd lost it, so I--

----

----
[Iris]

~~~~~~~~~~~~!!

[Ogami]

You just, uh, go do your thing now. No need to thank me, either.

----

----

----

----

----

----

----

----

----

----

----

The Wakiji hadn't been finished off, but its mind was flooded with enough fear to paralyze even the most hardboiled of soldiers.

----
[Ogami]

----

... much like Ogami's.

The last Wakiji goes down...

Kanna intercepts one of the last guards...

... and Iris caps the flag. With this?

----

----

We're in.

NEXT TIME: VS. Rasetsu!

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 24, 2012

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Spirit Armor posted:

This is both funnier and more disturbing if you know the original version of the story. Mostly the latter. :gonk:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
So, Iris can phase through solid matter, levitate steam/demon powered mecha with her mind, destroy buildings and rooms with a simple temper tantrum...

And somehow, all she can really do to enemies is tap them on the nose with Jean-Paul. What a letdown.

(Also, I skipped ahead to watch the rest of the videos for this chapter on Google Video, including the preview of the next chapter... which is GOING TO BE AWESOME ISN'T IT?!)

(Also, the look on Sumire's face in the snapshot of the brigade post-battle is priceless.)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh lord. That's wonderful. Iris is basically the mage, isn't she? With the blinking and the giant attack radius.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

For some odd reason: Iris-UniformShock.jpg and: Kanna-UniformShock.jpg have been removed from Photobucket.

Schadenfraulein
Dec 23, 2006
a front row seat to the gun show

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Huh? Wha-? Why?
:psypop:

JAPAN!! :argh:

Yeah I know it's from the Sakura Wars musical but the way Jean-Paul/the bear is dressed is just absurd.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

You're a genius with those awesome drawings of Iris' attacks.

You actually make me feel sorry for the enemy.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Spirit Armor posted:

[Ogami]

Hey, Iris! Catch!

----

----

Priceless. :D

There's just something about hurling a soul-devouring teddy bear into the sky...

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Today I saw a Sakura Wars DVD. I almost considered buying it, just because of this thread.

But then I realised it was kind of gay so I didn't.

But I might go back and see if it's still there.

Grunduggerer
Jan 20, 2007

Schadenfraulein posted:

I can't unsee that. Oh god I can't unsee that.

Also in watching the video I gotta wonder: Why would they make an impenetrable gate, and then have the lever to open the gate on the OUTSIDE? Were they trying to keep something in?

Grunduggerer fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Mar 6, 2008

Dash Magnum
Jul 25, 2007

That's no moon...
It's a Face Station!
Oh man, I can't believe they actually let you use the 'Protect' action while Ogami's trapped. You would think that'd be at least a part of the whole point of isolating Ogami. Seriously, that had me laughing almost as much as the comedy you were adding in with the dialog.

Speaking of comedy, you've really kicked things up a notch with those mspaints. The ones depicting how terrifying Iris's cutesy attacks would be....simply priceless.

Fantastic work! Can't wait to see the finale for this battle!

EDIT: Oh God! The Iris picture...it's so much worse in reality! :cry:

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Iris's sparkly attack and plans for making her robot frilly have officially won my heart.

I am not voting for her, but she has won my heart.

(And the parts with Maria. So cute!)

This is truly the best giant robot team ever.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I dunno about you guys, but that's pretty much exactly how I expected Iris's attacks to look.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!

Spirit Armor posted:

[Ogami]

Thanks, Sakura-kun, I--

[Ogami]

'My'?

[Sakura]

Yes! 'My'!

[Ogami]

Why!?

[Sakura]

Because!

[Iris]

No!

[Sakura]

Yes!

[Iris]

... maybe?

[Sakura]

Half?

[Iris]

Agreed!

[Ogami]

Jesus.

But Sakura blew up last time Ogami so much as showed signs of interest towards other girls!

I can already see it in the news:

ULTIMATE BLOOD STALKER FANATIC BACKSTABS PSYCHO TELEKINETIC LOLI!

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Sorry for the late reply-- was hopping back to my apartment from my parents' home after a small emergency. The next update will probably be on Saturday so that I can spend Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday playing Smash Bros Brawl; if I get lucky and get everything that I need to do done early, it could be up as early as tomorrow.

In any case.

Thuryl posted:

This is both funnier and more disturbing if you know the original version of the story. Mostly the latter. :gonk:

At least Iris isn't wearing a ponytail?

serewit posted:

So, Iris can phase through solid matter, levitate steam/demon powered mecha with her mind, destroy buildings and rooms with a simple temper tantrum...

And somehow, all she can really do to enemies is tap them on the nose with Jean-Paul. What a letdown.

Don't forget the inexplicably adorable bombardment of stars, hearts, and flowers! Doesn't that make up for... for...

... nevermind.

Glazius posted:

Oh lord. That's wonderful. Iris is basically the mage, isn't she? With the blinking and the giant attack radius.

Getting warmer Basically. This is the closest we'll ever get to having a straight-out black mage on the team.

Cooked Auto posted:

For some odd reason: Iris-UniformShock.jpg and: Kanna-UniformShock.jpg have been removed from Photobucket.

After much searching, I remembered that those two icons never actually existed in the first place, either because I forgot to screencap 'em or because they haven't shown up in-game yet.

I'll replace them with something else for the time being.

Schadenfraulein posted:

I remember seeing that scene from one of the live shows on Youtube.

Having seen it once before did not help shield me from how utterly bizarre it is. :cry:

Dash Magnum posted:

Oh man, I can't believe they actually let you use the 'Protect' action while Ogami's trapped. You would think that'd be at least a part of the whole point of isolating Ogami.

Ogami could probably be halfway around the world and he'd still be able to Protect any given member of the Imperial Assault Force.

Sure, the game shows how he can harness the asskickage of lightning and all that stuff, but this chapter alone proves that teleportation/tanking is his REAL power.

Furikku posted:

Iris's sparkly attack and plans for making her robot frilly have officially won my heart.

I am not voting for her, but she has won my heart.

(And the parts with Maria. So cute!)

This is truly the best giant robot team ever.

This is why I cannot actually HATE any of the main characters: no matter how annoying and/or frightening they can get, their redeeming values are many.

RAZZLE-DAZZLE.

Sindai posted:

I dunno about you guys, but that's pretty much exactly how I expected Iris's attacks to look.

While she DOES have more than enough pink to level a third-world country, I was hoping for something more bear-based, myself.

Reallycoolname posted:

But Sakura blew up last time Ogami so much as showed signs of interest towards other girls!

I can already see it in the news:

ULTIMATE BLOOD STALKER FANATIC BACKSTABS PSYCHO TELEKINETIC LOLI!

If you see Sakura's name in the news, she's probably already done away with every woman in the theater. :tinfoil:

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008

Spirit Armor posted:

The next update will probably be on Saturday so that I can spend Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday playing Smash Bros Brawl

I do believe I will be joining you in this noble quest, if not in person than in spirit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Hopefully I'll have my 'net connection set up in time to see mysterious package thing that Spirit Armor and I have been talking up for a while but is probably a little less impressive than people will think from all the hype I mean look at I dunno Fable it was a nice game but with all the hype people got really disappointed when it was released without the ability to plant trees and watch them grow but I'll at least be able to keep up with trips to the uni library, right?

• Locked thread