Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terashell
Dec 19, 2007

Gaben-chan~
Poor Kohran, but it was a good update nonetheless, I like all the dialogue you add.

KOHRAN'S TEARS ONLY SERVE TO SPOT WELD THE SEAL SHE HAS ON MY HEART! [/creepy]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Hahaha, her idea of an Iris plushie is to just ambush her in the middle of the night and start measuring? I have new respect for her.

:whip::j:

Though Ogami having an Iris plushie as an option at all was amusing.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I am disappointed you didn't propose bromides of Ogami.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Hmm now I'm curious how Tsubaki would have responded if you had suggested bromides of her, or for that matter how she would have responded to the suggestion of bromides of Ogami. I also wonder if it would have ended up with Teigeki rice cookies even for those choices.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Spirit Armor posted:

[Kohran]

Th' Koubu... my Koubu weren't born jes' for th' sake of bein' broken!!

Machines are 'born'? :confused:

I just have to wonder right now. Is this just Kohran brooding over the giant robots like a mother hen? Or is this foreshadowing some deep, dark, Evangelion-level secret we're about to learn involving how the Koubu are made?

Powered by steam... and HUMAN SOULS!!! :cthulhu:

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Wyvernil posted:

I just have to wonder right now. Is this just Kohran brooding over the giant robots like a mother hen? Or is this foreshadowing some deep, dark, Evangelion-level secret we're about to learn involving how the Koubu are made?

Powered by steam... and HUMAN SOULS!!! :cthulhu:

Nobody else in the whole place ever looks at whats going on inside the steam carapace. For all we know, it could be hollowed out mutant people with plating.

Grunduggerer
Jan 20, 2007

Spirit Armor posted:

This coming from the one with the super move where hundreds of little robots she created blow themselves up.

Spirit Armor posted:

[Sumire]

As the Koubu are all machines, if they get broken, all that needs to be done is to fix them. Don't you agree?

In a world of crazy, vote Sumire. Also, wealth, tracts of land, and by all accounts a fun drunk. What's not to love?

(Her kimono is held up by love.)

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Grunduggerer posted:

This coming from the one with the super move where hundreds of little robots she created blow themselves up.
Right. She knows when to make them to blow up, and when to make them to blow other things up. Her super move is the former, Koubu are the latter.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Grunduggerer posted:

Don't you see? She always puts the same ones back together again between shots, so it's alright.

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.
Kohran believes in the Machines Spirit? Is she from the future?

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Wind Tempest posted:

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only anime.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Wind Tempest posted:

Who do you think made all the stuff they are using in the future?

Dash Magnum
Jul 25, 2007

That's no moon...
It's a Face Station!

Spirit Armor posted:

Yaay, a close-up of Kanna doing what she does second-best!

What the...is she eating a goddamn habanero? :supaburn: drat!

Also I'm saddened to learn that Kohran does not subscribe to the Mythbusters school of engineering philosophy. Any true engineer worth their slide-rule relishes the destructive testing phase. :colbert:

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008

ZeeToo posted:

Right. She knows when to make them to blow up, and when to make them to blow other things up. Her super move is the former, Koubu are the latter.
The were no kamikaze robots in the original... (Kohran's special attack at 6:02)

Schadenfraulein
Dec 23, 2006
a front row seat to the gun show

Dash Magnum posted:

What the...is she eating a goddamn habanero? :supaburn: drat!

No, it's a persimmon.

Of the Hachiya variety, I believe. :eng101:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Schadenfraulein posted:

No, it's a persimmon.

Of the Hachiya variety, I believe. :eng101:
Ah, I figured it was a peach, given that she plays Son Goku. Even though she's not in costume in that bromide....

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

veekie posted:

Hahaha, her idea of an Iris plushie is to just ambush her in the middle of the night and start measuring? I have new respect for her.

:whip::j:

Though Ogami having an Iris plushie as an option at all was amusing.
I think Spirit Armor is cursing the lack of a quick-save option.

"Nah, what could be worse than a Jean-Paul plushie.

DAMMIT!"

Schadenfraulein
Dec 23, 2006
a front row seat to the gun show

LittleSunshine posted:

Ah, I figured it was a peach, given that she plays Son Goku. Even though she's not in costume in that bromide....

The cross-shaped leaves are distinctively persimmony; also, the autumn landscape.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Schadenfraulein posted:

The cross-shaped leaves are distinctively persimmony; also, the autumn landscape.
Fair enough! Is there any particular significance to gazing at persimmons for the Japanese, or is she just waiting for it to ripen?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

CannonFodder posted:

DAMMIT!"

I think it's one of those 'My finger is moving on it's own' moments.

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Love, Justice, and Mid-Season Upgrades Steam-Powered Robots.
When I said that I'd update on Saturday, I clearly meant Tuesday. Sorry about that, guys.

Next update should be up... what, Saturday? Take that with a pinch of salt, though, since I've only just settled back down to something vaguely resembling a normal schedule.

Glazius posted:

Sakura would find some way to trip over her own kimono and destroy her entire Koubu.

Fun fact: in the TV series, the very first time Sakura heads down to the hangars, she manages to completely wreck two Koubu just by looking at them.

tl;dr IT'S MORE LIKELY THAN YOU THINK.

ZeeToo posted:

I am disappointed you didn't propose bromides of Ogami.

Ryuujin posted:

Hmm now I'm curious how Tsubaki would have responded if you had suggested bromides of her, or for that matter how she would have responded to the suggestion of bromides of Ogami. I also wonder if it would have ended up with Teigeki rice cookies even for those choices.

Suggesting bromides of Tsubaki might've led to a trust-level-up situation, and I'm pretty sure that suggesting anything vaguely resembling letting Ogami get into the theatrical business leads to an automatic trust-level-DOWN.

Everyone hates Ogami, I swear to god. :smith:

Wyvernil posted:

Whichever it is, I'm SURE that it won't reveal more about Kohran's frightening psyche than we'd ever want to know.

Surely.

CannonFodder posted:

DAMMIT!"

You'd be surprised at how much of this I plan out in advance, self-brain-breaking included. :v:

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Spirit Armor posted:

When I said that I'd update on Saturday, I clearly meant Tuesday. Sorry about that, guys.

Next update should be up... what, Saturday? Take that with a pinch of salt, though, since I've only just settled back down to something vaguely resembling a normal schedule.

So, next Tuesday then? :iamafag:

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

GruntyThrst posted:

So, next Tuesday then? :iamafag:

Wait, I--

That--

Don't make me unleash freaky bizarro Ogami on you. :argh:

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Spirit Armor posted:

Wait, I--

That--

I thought that was an intentional joke?

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Spirit Armor posted:

Wait, I--

That--

I entirely thought you did that intentionally.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Suave, confident, ladykiller Ogami. Half Billy Dee Williams, half Gai Daigoji.

Dead in 30 seconds.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Spirit Armor posted:

Fun fact: in the TV series, the very first time Sakura heads down to the hangars, she manages to completely wreck two Koubu just by looking at them.

They should just let the Hive of Darkness kidnap her and wait for her to trip.

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008

Spirit Armor posted:

Wait, I--

That--

Is... Is he JoJo posing?

Somehow this both terrifies and intrigues me.

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.

Wyvernil posted:

Kohran's uterus of love comes to mind. :v:

Crono S. Magnum posted:

Is... Is he JoJo posing?

Somehow this both terrifies and intrigues me.

That explains his uncanny ability to automatically detect whenever a girl's in the shower.

He just goes ZA WARUDO, and stalks the gently caress out of each girl just to get first hand knowledge on their showertime. Probably explains why he's so compliant to get slapped on the face too. Hey, at least its small change compared to what you can do a girl when time's stopped. :quagmire:

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
ZA WARUDO would explain how he manages the number of hijinks he does during night patrols.

quote:

Kohran's uterus of love comes to mind.
Ogami's rectum eh.

Verty
Jul 27, 2007

Oh my god! The puppy orphanage!
Damm... I just spent a few days caching up on this thread, and that was ONLY readng the LP posts and virtually nothing else, I'm still surprised that I caught up in time before the major choice (which I am still split on)

Nice work Spirit Armor, it's a really interesting LP of a game I would have never played or even had the chance to play.

Now I know it's been said (somewhere in the posts I had to ignore to try and catch up) but WHY do they feel the need to put a blatantly underage character in.... dammit Japan...

Keep up the good work in any case mostly by staying clear of Iris by giving us such an entertaining LP.

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

We're going to vault into battle once more! Here, have some pilot stats.

----

... well, they're all so-so. Haven't had much time to DO a lot, and I haven't really focused on any one character-- Kohran's the main star, but she really hasn't been seeing much of any trust level boosts.

Also, I have no idea why Kanna's trust level is as high as Kohran's.

----------
:siren: VIDEO ALERT :siren:

Introduction to the battle, complete with gut-wrenching drama, hot-blooded action, and a ridiculous amount of justice.*

Google Version!
Youtube Version!

*Disclaimer: Does not actually contain drama, action, or justice.

"In the middle of August, 1923, the Hive of Darkness once again decided to lay waste to Ueno Park. Demon-driven mechanical soldiers-- the ever-present Wakiji-- stormed along the peaceful lanes and did a fairly respectable amount of property damage before the Imperial Assault Force could respond.

"As usual, no casualties were reported, other than those typically resulting from the Imperial Flower Division mobilizing its forces. However, the Hive of Darkness launched their strike late at night, forcing the Flower Division to fight in the dark. Equally worrying was that the Wakiji appeared to be moving faster and in a more coordinated fashion than in previous encounters.

"At the time, no one could even begin to foresee what this would eventually entail. Doubly so as certain members were struggling with the problems inherent in fighting at night-- for instance, the little ten year old girl whose bedtime rarely exceeded 9:00 pm."

- Excerpt from the 1977 edition of "Samurai Spirits: The History of the Flower Division," written by M. Sunnyside.
----------

TAISHO ERA, 12th YEAR: AUGUST
UENO PARK

... where a woman can be seen chasing a man through a temple gate.

More telling is that there's this other man at an oden stall who doesn't actually notice the EVIL GIANT ROBOTS stomping around the park--

-- until it's about to chop him right in half, when he suddenly vaults from his seat like an Olympic eat-and-runner.

(Yes, the Wakiji really IS that slow.)

And instead of shooting down the stragglers who're trying to flee the scene...

----

... the gun-toting Wakiji are shooting up food stalls.

I'd petition for more competent villains, but then I'd probably have to ask for more intelligent protagonists, too. :smith:

----

The Imperial Assault Force arrives on the scene on foot, rather than blasting into the air from their underground/underwater subway train transport of awesome.

Understandable, because there isn't nearly enough sunlight to make an awesome "sunlight glinting off of the robots' gleaming armor" kind of entrance, but regrettable all the same, I'm sure you'll agree.

[Maria]

Captain, if we do not hurry up and destroy the demon-driven mechanical soldiers, the damage is only going to keep spreading.

[Kanna]

That's right. They said that the civilians haven't all been evacuated yet, so we've gotta get this cleared up in a jiffy.

[Kohran]

(Even so... th' only way t' save the Wakiji is to destroy 'em...)

----

----
[Kohran]

... define 'starting'.

[Sakura]

It could very well start in a little bit, once the Wakiji notice us and decide to--

[Kohran]

Ignore us an' keep shootin' those soba stands over there 'til we beat 'em black an' blue.

[Sakura]

It could happen!!

[Kohran]

Well, y'all let me know when that's happenin', Ah'll jes' keep angstin' until then, 'kay?

----

[Sumire]

You are always such a child, Iris... Ensign, let us get this over with quickly.

[Sakura]

Understood!

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 10, 2013

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

----------
:siren: BATTLE VIDEO ALERT :siren:

Part one of the battle. 'Bout nine minutes worth of rear end-kickings.

Google Version!
Youtube Version!
----------

----

Ogami always goes first, 'cause he's the leader and everyone just finds it so heartening when he dashes out ahead and gets blasted to pieces by the enemy and/or whatever traps are lying in wait for them.

Interesting fact: it's somehow an automatic game over if Ogami falls in battle, almost as if his defeat would stop the six other perfectly capable and much stronger pilots from clearing the stage by themselves.

... no, I don't know why either, so stop looking at me like that.

Anyway, the layout of the level is the exact same as the game's very first stage...

The only difference is that we start on the opposite end of the map. The little ledge that was our starting point in the FIRST stage is currently occupied by a trio of snipers.

And almost directly to our left is a bunch MORE snipers and a few swordsmen. It's not a particularly heavy load of enemies.

Slap up a protect on Kanna...

Waltz up to the nearest Wakiji...

And that's the first Wakiji down, right off the bat. This stage won't take very l--

Scratch that. It's... it's going to be a long, long fight.

Kanna's turn, which starts with a big burst of fire that blinds everyone whose eyes had just finished adjusting to the nighttime gloom.

Let's hear if the folks at base have anything to say about this mission.

----

----

----
[Ogami]

... that's it? No pointers? No tactics? No nothing?

[Kasumi]

Ogami-san, it would be more grammatically correct to say 'no anything', since 'no nothing' is, I believe, a double negative, so--

[Ogami]

... give me my wasted thirty-five seconds back.

----

Kanna's turn ends without her killing anything. She's gonna help soak up damage.

[Sakura]

Sakura Shinguji has arrived!

----
[Ogami]

Wait! Sakura-kun, you're about to do your Haja Kensei Ouka Houshin, right?

[Sakura]

Yup! Destroyer of Evil's Conquering Sword, Cherry Blossom's Divine Releas--

[Ogami]

No, gently caress that, you're calling it "S" now.

[Sakura]

Huh?

[Ogami]

Look, haven't you ever thought about how much time we're all wasting when we sit around and shout out our ridiculously long attack names? Captain's orders, you're calling it "S" now.

[Sakura]

But, but that's--

[Ogami]

Fine, you can have "Sa" so that we don't confuse your attack with Sumire's "Su," but that's as far as I'm going to go. Chop chop, let's get going.

----

----
[Sakura]

S... SAAAAA!!

----

----
[Ogami]

See? Isn't that a lot better?

[Sakura]

M, my final attack name...

[Maria]

You're a horrible human being, Captain.

[Ogami]

Yeah, but this way, I'll at least be a time-efficient horrible human being.

----

And the rest of Sakura's turn is spent charging up her spirit gauge.

Posing with a bunch of cute widdle robots is SRS BUSINESS.

And regardless, Kohran just kind of sits there and guards.

----

Just in time for the Wakiji to charge in and start attacking, blasting her with four hits.

Eh, she'll probably survive. I mean, these are the WAKIJI we're talking about here, after all. :geno:

See? It only chunked off about four HP WHAT THE HELL A QUARTER OF HER LIFE

The second gun-type Wakiji pitches in for five hits.

... and that's, that's about half of her life gone.

This can't be happening. We are seeing airborne animals of a porcine nature, and purgatory is experiencing a sudden drop in temperature, what the gently caress is going on.

----
[Ogami]

Kohran, you're not giving up and letting them tear you apart, are you...?

[Kohran]

HELL NO! Do I LOOK that far gone to ya!? You saw me! I put up my guard!

[Ogami]

Wait, then...

[Kohran]

They're gettin' as serious as we are!

[Ogami]

... they're flirting with each other during battle and holding tea parties?

[Kohran]

Okay, bad turn o' phrase. I MEANT that they're gettin' serious.

----

----

----

It's not a fluke, Kohran is legitimately getting her rear end kicked. We shouldn't be seeing these kinds of numbers even if her trust level was rock-bottom, and she's actually doing pretty well with trust bonuses.

... this could be bad.

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 10, 2013

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Meanwhile, on the northern front, one lone sniper Wakiji takes his shot.

----

Ogami guards Kanna! No lovey-dovey message this time, though.

----
[Kohran]

Wha-- why didn't y'all do that t' ME when I was gettin' my rear end handed t' me!?

[Ogami]

I'm sorry! I would've, had I known that they were all going to mass on you like that!!

[Kohran]

But...

[Ogami]

Look, it's hard to explain, alright!? I have to /visualize/ you before I can do that whole Protect thing.

[Ogami]

And only immediately before or after I move.

[Ogami]

... and I can only do it three times per battle.

[Kohran]

Don't worry Ogami-han, I'm sure that there're other men out there with problems like yours--

[Ogami]

... I really hope not. I wouldn't want to wish my fate on anyone else.

----

As for the second Wakiji...

Seems like the Protect was just enough to push Kanna over to the realm of the lovey-dovey.

The third Wakiji burns up the last of Ogami's Protect charges. On the plus side, Kohran is almost dead due to Ogami's criminal levels of negligence all three Wakiji are easier for us to reach!

[Maria]

Don't expect me to hold back.

----

Naturally, she runs out of action gauge before she can even get within range of the enemy.

OR SO IT SEEMS!

Just enough to squeeze out a Snowmaiden, but--

I decided to save it until I can actually hit a group of units with it.

End result: Maria holds back.

Yes, I am still kind of horrified that they never bother typing in Iris's full name.

If there ever was one person who needed a full heal, it's Kohran.

----
[Iris]

I!

[Ogami]

Attagirl, Iris, you remembered to truncate your final attack name!

[Iris]

Am going to marry Oniichan when we get b--

[Ogami]

On second thought, your final attack name is now "Z" so that we can avoid any abuses of an attack name that corresponds to a pronoun.

[Iris]

Awwww. Killjoy.

----

And that's enough of that. All three are healed!

[Maria]

Are you prepared to applaud?

----

Sumire actually gets within range of one of the Wakiji.

She even pulls off a combination attack!

"Hurry up and come over here!"

"Outta the way!"

Not that the dialogue is very, y'know, combination-like in nature.

----

NORMALLY, that would kill a Wakiji. Here, it's just barely not enough. So in addition to having a boost to attack, they've got a small boost to defense, it seems. :smith:

Ogami's turn again! I send him flying to the north.

----

OH! HE'S COMIN' TO GET YOU, BOY.

[Kohran]

Ah! ... no, it's nothin'...

Once again, Kohran flinches whenever a robot dies.

Kanna can clean this guy's clock in four hits.

Realizing this, the Wakiji saves her the trouble and just self-destructs.

[Kanna]

Heheheh! When I'm with the Captain, I don't feel that I could lose!

The last Wakiji gets the special treatment.

----
[Kanna]

Ka!

[Kanna]

[Kanna]

Look, it's just not the same if I can't belt out a good "TERIYAAAAAAAAH" or "HOWACHAAAAAA" to go with it, y'know?

[Ogami]

Fine. Fine! Go ahead, I give up.

----

----

Finally got off my lazy rear end and translated these stats. I'll whip out a translation of every character's stats when the boss battle rolls around, I promise.

Here... well, it's pretty easy to see that Kanna is an embodiment of her "the best defense is punching someone in the face until they die first" strategy.

Sakura's turn again. I send her scurrying over towards the bridge.

... squeeze a bit 'cause Kohran's blocking the way like a huge lump...

And, uh, guard, 'cause that's all she can do with the action gauge she has left.

NEXT TIME: The rest of the battle!

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 10, 2013

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Hurf durf you fixed them. Disregard this post.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

So there's no real transition on the game's part between "We are having tea parties because the Wakiji are just that threatening" and "OW MY HITPOINTS"?

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Zereth posted:

So there's no real transition on the game's part between "We are having tea parties because the Wakiji are just that threatening" and "OW MY HITPOINTS"?

I forgot to mention that. It was actually a manual switch on my part-- you can change the difficulty level in the options (which ranges from Normal to Hard and that's it). I did it because I was getting bored of never losing more than 10 hp per hit.

I will be changing it back to Normal after a certain point in time because the game actually gets legitimately harder. If I keep it on Hard... well, the true meaning of "no real transition" is when a boss wipes out more than half my team in one turn when they're all defending. :gonk:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Could you leave a Wakiji in a corner somewhere and let the ladies have their tea party while Sumire slowly walks her Koubu over there? That way we get all of the conversation branches and Sumire gets to actually do something.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Spirit Armor posted:

And instead of shooting down the stragglers who're trying to flee the scene...
... the gun-toting Wakiji are shooting up soba stalls.

:eng101: That's an oden stall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008

CannonFodder posted:

Could you leave a Wakiji in a corner somewhere and let the ladies have their tea party while Sumire slowly walks her Koubu over there? That way we get all of the conversation branches and Sumire gets to actually do something.

Another vote in favor of letting Sumire kill some poo poo.

Or just let her mentally torture Ogami. That's always good for a laugh!

• Locked thread