Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Spirit Armor posted:

Canadian? I'd always attributed that saying with gossipy suburban chatterboxes. :psyduck:

It's outdated now. Like saying "rad" or "bodacious." That's why the Canadians have it. They're the retarded little brother who gets all the hand-me down clothes and tries to be all cool but ends up saying things Americans were saying 30 years ago. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

GruntyThrst posted:

It's outdated now. Like saying "rad" or "bodacious." That's why the Canadians have it. They're the retarded little brother who gets all the hand-me down clothes and tries to be all cool but ends up saying things Americans were saying 30 years ago. :v:

They're just a bit slow, eh? :downsrim:

Spirit Armor posted:

[Ogami]
All those weeks of getting hit by trains as practice finally paid off!!

[Kanna]
C'mon, Captain, are you serious? Just trains?

[Ogami]
Yeah, I know, I couldn't find anything that packed more punch.

I suppose that if Ogami has managed to survive THIS long in the face of this theater/secret anti-demon robot fighting force/lunatic asylum, that a train shouldn't be too much more painful.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

Spirit Armor posted:

Also, if you guys think that KANNA'S gender is vague, just wait 'til we get to some of the later Sakura Wars entries. :colbert:

Kanna's gender is not vague. She's more woman than every other person in the theater house put together.

It's just that she's also more man than every other person in the theater house put together.

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

Geomancing posted:

Kanna's gender is not vague. She's more woman than every other person in the theater house put together.

It's just that she's also more man than every other person in the theater house put together.

So that would make Kanna some sort of super-human hermaphrodite?

Christ, what did I just type?

DSPaul
Jun 29, 2006

I are an intellekshool.

H.R. Hufflepuff posted:

So that would make Kanna some sort of super-human hermaphrodite?

DSPaul fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 31, 2008

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Spirit Armor posted:

As much as I'd love to see Ogami throw away his swords and start beating the crap out of Wakiji...

Not even throw them away so much as hurl them like throwing knives, dash to the Wakiji ahead of them, uppercut it so it gets run through, jump up, and kick off its midsection while pulling the swords out.

I guess I'll just have to settle for South Wind, Big Wave, which is good enough.

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Love, Justice, and Mid-Season Upgrades Steam-Powered Robots.

For the first and only time, Ogami rushes into the Manager's Office without bothering to knock or announce the fact that he is, indeed, standing in front of said office and he wonders if Manager Yoneda is in, etc etc.

----

Oh snap, you guys know what time it is?

--------
:siren: VIDEO ALERT TIME! :siren:

Expository video! Choose your poison: one is in English, but has ugly yellow subtitles, while the other is the "clean" version, but is in moonspeak.

Google Version - With Subtitles!
Google Version - No Subtitles!
--------

----

----

----
[Ogami]

[Yoneda]

[Ayame]

... Commander, weren't you going to start the projector?

[Yoneda]

I didn't think you were gonna close the curtains BEFORE I could even stand up.

[Ayame]

Screw it. Ogami-kun, could you?

[Ogami]

Yeah, yeah.

----

----

----
[Ogami]

I thought YOU guys wanted to show ME this movie, so why'm I stuck manning the projector?

----

----
[Ogami]

... and I don't even get a seat!?

[Yoneda]

Mind passin' the popcorn, Ogami?

[Ogami]

I'm not some theater employ--

[Ogami]

Oh. Right.

[Ayame]

Shhh, it's starting. Also, pass me a soda, will you? Don't forget to sweep under the seats.

[Ogami]

God, I'm never coming to one of your movie showings ever again.

----

----
[Yoneda]

Haha, stupid foreigners can't even spell 'roll' correctly.

[Ayame]

This IS a foreign movie in another language, sir.

[Yoneda]

Pfff, foreign. That just means that the barstuds didn't have the decency to make it in good ol' Japanese English.

[Ogami]

Sir, the movie's starting.

----

[Ogami]

This is...

----

Hey, willya lookit that-- rudimentary humanoid steam tanks.

[Yoneda]

Footage from the European War.

... which seem to be totally owning the boring, conventional, and most importantly armless tanks.

[Yoneda]

And... the children getting into their spirit armor are... the Star Division.
An experimental brigade created before the formation of the Flower Division.

The first pilot! Who is blond-haired and thus probably British or American or Russian.

The second pilot, who has silver hair and thus can never be trusted under any circumstances 'cause, y'know, silver hair.

And the third pilot is all purple and exotic-looking, so she's probably ladylike or imperious or--

----
[Ogami]

Sir, as fascinating as your in-depth analysis of each pilot is, we could really do without your running commentary.

[Yoneda]

Spoilsport. Weren't you the one mouthing off during Maria's flashback a few months ago?

[Ogami]

Wha-- how do you even KNOW about that?

[Yoneda]

Old man's intuition, m'boy.

----

[Ogami]

The Star Division... THESE children!?

----
[Ogami]

... aren't there supposed to be five? What about the other two?

[Yoneda]

Shut up, they're not important yet.

----

And the mysterious spirit armor units take off, never you mind the fact that they haven't got anything equipped to propel themselves that far up.

----

They touch down again pretty quickly.

FUN FACT: these units are an older model of spirit armor, predating the Koubu. In addition to having oddly-shaped eyes and a huge, rotating, Y-shaped battery unit on the back (if I recall correctly), they're called "Eisenkleid" (lit. 'Iron Dress') units 'cause they're made by FOREIGN.

But don't worry, you can afford to forget all that 'til one of the sequels.

----

Purple unit has pointer finger lasers, so it's kind of awesome.

----

Teal unit is deflecting bullets with a motherfucking mech-scaled lance.

----

And it actually uses it to completely pulverize one of those antique tanks.

As for the white unit...

----

----

It has dinky little mech-scaled throwing knives.

... which are apparently much more powerful than they appear, so it's best not to laugh at it.

----

----

The three out of five pilots, who will not end up being important characters in any of the later games and/or OVAs just because they're blatantly singled out in this FMV.

----
[Scientist 1]

So, uh. Whaddaya think? Can we make the Star Division an official brigade?

[Scientist 2]

Well, in addition to being frighteningly strong, they've demonstrated a deplorable approach to warfare that points to a casual dismissal of any sort of assumed value to human life and/or property damage.

[Scientist 1]

Hmm.

[Scientist 2]

They've also destroyed the town they were supposed to be protecting AND, in a hideous shower of blood-- rather, in a conglomerate of showers made up of individual showers of blood-- everyone living in it.

[Scientist 1]

So... that's a yes, right?

[Scientist 2]

----

----
[Scientist 1]

gently caress.

[Scientist 2]

Eh, don't sweat it, it was a good effort. A little less slaughter and it would've been greenlighted, I think.

[Scientist 1]

What if someone else picks up on this idea?

[Scientist 2]

Hah! You remember how hard it was just to get pilots with high enough levels of spiritual energy, right? With the ratio of spiritually-inclined men to women being what it is, you'd end up with six women to one man. Who'd be dumb enough to try something as risky and potentially world-shattering as THAT?

[Scientist 1]

... the Japanese?

[Scientist 2]

Even THEY couldn't be that dumb. Now shut up and help me clip the rest of these cards.

----

[Yoneda]

Just these five people displayed enough spiritual energy to destroy an entire town....

----

[Yoneda]

... but the brigade was quickly dissolved.

----

[Yoneda]

That was different from the assault force that I had in mind.

For one thing, Yoneda probably doesn't want any Division to be used as weapons against other people.

[Yoneda]

And y'know...

[Yoneda]

Kohran saw this footage almost every day.

----
[Ogami]

... are you seriously syncing this conversation up with the increasingly evil-looking pictures of the Star Division?

[Yoneda]

Why in God's name would you think that I'd pass up a chance like this? Now hush up and let me wax eloquently.

----

----

[Yoneda]

She kept watching it while crying.

----
[Ogami]

You recorded her sitting alone in a room and crying her heart out? ... why!?

[Yoneda]

To tug at the viewer's heartstrings! You always gotta prepare these things ahead of time, m'boy, you never know when you'll need an exposition dump.

[Ogami]

But--

[Yoneda]

Now sit down and keep watching, we've got half an hour left of Kohran sobbing and wailing, accompanied by fade-ins to the Star Division ruthlessly tearing apart manned tanks.

[Ogami]

... that's it, I'm turning this thing off.

----

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 22, 2013

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

[Ogami]

Why... did you show Kohran this footage...?

[Yoneda]

In order for her to build the best spirit armor... I had to expose her to those tough thoughts.
That her machines, her own friends, could be destroyed... and I showed them as they were tormented by people.

----
[Ogami]

Meaning...?

[Yoneda]

Meaning that I didn't want her flippin' out and going insane the second she pilots her Koubu out into battle and realizes that her job's to forcibly dismantle demonic machines who're tryin' to do the same to her.

[Ogami]

[Yoneda]

What?

[Ogami]

No, it's just-- I'm impressed, that was almost logical.

[Yoneda]

M'boy, if you don't stop mouthin' off every two seconds, I'll apply logic to your arse with that suit of armor standin' behind my chair.

[Ogami]

Yyyyessir.

----

[Ogami]

Machines, her friends...

[Ayame]

Kohran would be extremely sad if you wounded those heartfelt feelings.
Don't get caught up in your own perception of common sense and try to understand Kohran as she is.

[Ayame]

You of all people should be able to do that. Right, Ogami-kun?

----
[Ogami]

I'm no stranger to an absence of common sense, if that's what you mean.

[Ayame]

[Ogami]

Sorry, I'm kind of on edge and making snarky remarks is the only thing that's standing between me and gibbering madly.

[Ayame]

Oh, I don't know, I'd say that you're already about halfway there.

----

[Ogami]

Y... yes. I'm going to go speak with Kohran once more.

And Ogami, fired up by the passion of a thousand suns, rushes back down to the hangars!

[Ayame]

Oh, did you realize that just now?

[Yoneda]

Heheheh... if it's him, he'll be able to protect everyone... we can forget about a second Star Division happenin'.

Awww, the old man really DOES care! :buddy:

Sure, he's grossly overestimating Ogami's capabilities, but Ogami needs all the support he can get.

Stomp. Stomp. Stomp.

[Ogami]

There! Dammit! Kohran, don't be rash!!

Well... there's Kohran, with enough shooty to reduce an army of men to so much burger meat in a handful of seconds.

And the only thing standing between a rampaging Kohran and the unsuspecting world is one man, who barely has enough meat on him to make a burger.

... we may have slid into "BAD END" territory without realizing it. :smith:

[Ogami]

Please wait, Kohran! Let me apologize!!

----
[Kohran]

For what?

[Ogami]

FOR ANYTHING, IF IT'LL GET YOU TO PUT THE KOUBU DOWN!!

----

[Kohran]

Forget it, Ogami-han... and... thanks fer yesterday...
Ya stayed by my side th' whole time, right? I... somehow, I felt relieved...
And y'know, I'd done some thinkin'... should I even be here...?

----
[Kohran]

'Cause I found the answer, Ogami-han... I finally realized somethin'.

[Ogami]

O-okay...? Well, introspection is always good, if it stops violence from happening in my general vicinity. Keep going.

[Kohran]

No one understands machines, so everyone always dismisses 'em outta hand... that's th' root of th' problem. The solution's so simple!

[Ogami]

Alright, one more step, and we can get to a non-violent answer! And that answer is...?

[Kohran]

All I have to do is to KILL ALL HUMANS.

[Ogami]

What!? No, back up, back up!! Fuckfuckfuckfuck--

----

[Ogami]

That's not right! Listen to what I have to say!!
I... didn't notice that you care for the Koubu to that degree.
That machines... that the Koubu are all your valued friends, Kohran...

[Kohran]

Ogami-han...

[Ogami]

I didn't seriously think about your feelings... or the machines' feelings... I'm so sorry, Kohran...
And to the Koubu, too... I'm sorry...

In a burst of steam...

[Kohran]

The hatch opens.

[Ogami]

Kohran...

[Kohran]

I'm sorry... I... I...

----
You have no idea how long I waited to grab a frame of Kohran crying WITHOUT her eyes open because it looks totally ridiculous and kind of creepy.

... like so.

[Kohran]

Waaaaaaaah...!

[Ogami]

I-it's alright, Kohran, you don't need to--

[Kohran]

WAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

[Ogami]

K-Kohran? Please calm down, everything's alri--

[Kohran]

WAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA--

[Ogami]

Kohran! KOHRAN!! GET OUT OF YOUR KOUBU! COME BAAAACK!! COME BAAAAAACK...!!

----

Alright, back to the story in progress. SOME TIME LATER...

[Kohran]

... heheh, after lettin' it all out like that, I feel almost refreshed, somehow.
An' y'know, Ogami-han... when I was livin' in China... I didn't have any friends.

----
[Ogami]

[Kohran]

Ogami-han, y'all could at least TRY t' be surprised. On general principle an' all.

[Ogami]

Er, sorry, I was just thinking that neither of us has taken a shower since last night's battle and we're sitting kinda close.

[Kohran]

... oh god, thanks fer makin' me notice. You're really a pro at ruinin' th' atmosphere, ya know that?

[Ogami]

With all this funk, there's really not going to be much atmosphere LEFT. Hankerchief?

[Kohran]

Gladly.

----

[Kohran]

Everyday... without playin' with a single person... I'd stay all alone with just machines-- like a clock-- an' tinker with it.
This... a pocket watch that was a memento of my father... was my only friend.
Though I only ever spoke with this child, it was my support...

[Ogami]

Kohran...

[Ogami]

This watch was your only friend... and human friends...?

[Kohran]

I didn't have none... 'cause I was always tinkerin' with machines, people called me eccentric...

----
[Ogami]

Or crazy?

[Kohran]

Yeah.

[Ogami]

Maniacal, even?

[Kohran]

Look, if y'all want, I can be back in my Koubu in no time flat...

[Ogami]

NO! No, I'm sorry, that's completely fascinating, keep going please.

----

[Kohran]

A girl that likes machines-- yeah, that's weird, ain't it?

[Kohran]

An' then, after I met with Ayame-han, I was sent t' Percy, someone who lived in Kobe.

[Kohran]

Every day was like a dream... together with Percy-han, I jes' kept tinkerin' with machines.
I was really happy back then... 'til I was told 'bout that...

[Ogami]

"That"...?

Sadly, the game doesn't supply its own ripple effect or mysterious finger-waving sounds or even a "X YEARS AGO..." subtitle. You'll have to imagine your own.

[Kohran]

I did it! I did it, Percy-han!!
This child can listen t' what I say! I've made a humanoid steam-powered machine move!

[???]

M... murderer!

[Kohran]

Eh...!?

[???]

I'll never forget! That machine killed my sons in the European War!!

[Kohran]

Wha... what're ya talkin' about, auntie!? What're ya sayin' that this child DID!?

[???]

Murderer! Machines are murderers!! This iron demon killed my sons!

[Kohran]

That's wrong! This child doesn't do anythin' like that!!
It doesn't murder people! That kinda thing... that kinda thing's absolutely impossible!!

... end flashback.

[Kohran]

After that... I endin' up watchin' that... footage of th' Star Division...

[Ogami]

... I saw it too. Just now, Commander Yoneda showed it to me...

[Kohran]

's true that... after watchin' that footage, it can't be helped that you'd see machines as murderers...

[Kohran]

But... that's wrong! It ain't th' machines that're killin' people!!
It's people who kill people! It's th' people who're usin' the machines that're doin' those kinda bad things!!

[Ogami]

That's...

----
[Ogami]

... really making me look at everything we've accidentally done to the Imperial Capital in much harsher light.

[Kohran]

Keep it t'gether, Ogami-han, y'all can go back an' angst once we're done wit' this stretch o' background exposition.

----

[Kohran]

People're all selfish... y'all can jes' fix a machine if it breaks... machines don't say any complaints...
Jes 'cause machines aren't people, everyone... everyone blames machines for anything bad that happens.

[Kohran]

Hey, Ogami-han... d'ya know exactly what kinda machine's a good machine is?

[Ogami]

A good machine...?

This is probably not the best place to reply with "a dead one!".

[Kohran]

That's right; a good machine's one that precisely achieves th' purpose it was made for.

[Kohran]

That's what ya call a "design philosophy."

[Kohran]

When designin' a machine... ya make it while thinkin' that y'all want it to move in such-and-such way.
'Cause of that, a machine that works in line with its "design philosophy" is what a good machine's all about.

[Ogami]

Huh... so that's how it is. I see.

Just keep nodding and smiling, Ogami.

[Kohran]

Out of all th' machines I've met up 'til now, th' best child's gotta be... th' Koubu.
This child... it responds precisely to th' feelings of those who made it.

[Kohran]

On th' back of th' Koubu's blueprints... these words were written:
"I pray that this spirit armor will become the hope of the people"...
They were the words of Yamazaki-han, th' person who wrote up th' blueprints, but I felt that they were really warm...
And 'cause of that... th' Koubu became good, warm machines.

[Ogami]

... I see. So the Koubu are happy...

[Kohran]

That's right... it's when machines an' people are supportin' each other can they both become truly happy...
Machines can't say a word t' you or me, but... that's what I believe.
That machines are thinking that they want t' continue livin' together with people...

[Ogami]

That's true... now, I'm getting the feeling that I understand.

----
[Ogami]

I'd always thought that machines just thought in terms of beeps and boops!

[Kohran]

... well, one step atta time, I guess.

----

[Kohran]

But even so... even though these machines're really givin' us their best... everyone still...
Sayin' that if they break, all ya gotta do is fix 'em... or makin' somethin' that'll only be used once... people're all jes' selfish 'bout this...
If they thought 'bout machines, they surely wouldn't say things like that... 'cause these children are all good.

[Ogami]

I see... so that's how it was. Hey, Kohran...

This is one of those times where it'd be better to take a semi-reasonable answer against two completely asinine ones. I'm pretty sure that all three options boost your trust with Kohran, though.

[Ogami]

Kohran... let's convey those feeings to everyone in the Flower Division... no, to everyone in the world!
It's just that everyone else still doesn't understand how to get along with machines.
I'm sure they'll learn! Because everyone here likes you, Kohran!!

And thus...

[Sumire]

... that is exactly it. If you simply take the time to tell me, then even I will come to understand, as well.

[Kohran]

Sumire-han... e, everyone!?

... the Improbably Happy Ending/Resolution begins.

[Sumire]

It is exactly as the Ensign says. Kohran always controls herself and does not speak about these sorts of things to anyone.
If you had... spoken just one word, I most certainly would have attempted to better understand machines.

Yup, she totally would have.

Really. :rolleyes:

[Ogami]

Kohran...

[Kohran]

O-Ogami-han... I... I...

[Ogami]

Aah... that's great, isn't it, Kohran... you've communicated your feelings to everyone, haven't you?

[Kohran]

I'm sorry... I gotta apologize t' everyone...
I... said some pretty mean things t' all y'all...

[Sumire]

It is perfectly alright, Kohran. In that sense, at least, we are both equal.
All of us also did not try to understand your feelings, you see.
From here on out... we must speak with each other much more. About machines, and... about the stage...

[Kohran]

Yup... o' course... 'cause everyone... everyone here's my valued friend.

:keke::respek::keke:

[Iris]

Yaaaaay! With this, everyone's back together!

----
[Ogami]

Yaaaaay!

[Iris]

Yaaaaay!

[Ogami]

[Ogami]

... aren't we supposed to roll credits right around here?

[Iris]

I don't think we're done yet, Oniichan.

----

[Sakura]

Hmhmhm... hey, Sumire-kun. Aren't you going to give THAT to Kohran?

[Sumire]

I know... Sakura-san, will you please be silent.

[Sumire]

Now then... there is something that I would like to give to Kohran.
U-um... this... is the first of its kind that I have drawn, so it may not be very good, but...

[Kohran]

Hm... what's this? It looks like blueprints o' some kind, but...

[Sumire]

Um... it is the set that I would like to use for the final performance.
I was thinking that it could even be used for other performances, not just "Journey to the West"...

----
[Ogami]

You can draw blueprints!?

[Sumire]

Well, I forced a bunch of the stagehands to draw one up for me, but it IS the feeling that matters, is it not?

----

[Kohran]

This's great! This could certainly be used in any kinda performance!!
This's amazin', Sumire-han! I'll make this set! Y'all can look forward to it!!

[Kanna]

Awright! With this, it looks like the final performance is gonna turn out to be amazing!!

:siren: WOOP WOOP WOOP :siren:

[Ayame]

Everyone, come quickly! The Hive of Darkness has appeared!

----
[Ogami]

Ggg.. ghh.. th...

[Sakura]

Ogami-san? What's wro--

[Ogami]

FINALLY.

----

[Ayame]

Hurry and meet at the Command Room! We will be launching shortly!

[Maria]

Everyone... let's go.

[Kohran]

Understood!

And then Sakura was naked.

Approximately X minutes after naked:

[Yoneda]

Right then, Ayame-kun. How're the launch preparations coming?

[Ayame]

Yes. The Koubu's maintenance is perfect. The Rolling Thunder and the Shogeimaru are also in top condition.

----
[Yoneda]

Sweet! Let's launch BOTH AT THE SAME TIME.

[Ayame]

... no.

[Yoneda]

C'moooooon, we can link 'em together and call it the Rolling Shogeimaru! It'll be the first blimptrain in existence!!

[Ayame]

[Ogami]

Please don't start getting convinced by that kind of argument, we don't need our transportation methods getting any more complicated.

----

... again.

[Yoneda]

The leader, Tenkai himself, is in command of the operations.

[Ogami]

What did you say? Tenkai's appeared!?

[Kohran]

That's... that's th' type o' person I jes' can't forgive!!
Let's go, Ogami-han. We're beatin' th' hell outta Tenkai!! Quick, give th' order t' launch!

Times like these makes you wonder who exactly's supposed to be the leader around these parts. :smith:

[Ogami]

Right!

[Ogami]

Imperial Assault Force Flower Division, go forth! Our target is Shiba Park!! Let's go!

[Kohran]

Understood!

Doo doo doo, robot suitin' time.

Also, the Shogeimaru launches again.

WHEEEEEEEEE! :woop:

NEXT TIME: Brawl in Shiba Park. ... again.

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 4, 2013

Schadenfraulein
Dec 23, 2006
a front row seat to the gun show

Spirit Armor posted:

Eisenkleids

I must be retarded because this is the first time I've noticed a fifth Eisenkleid. I know that four of the pilots are Ratchet, Leni, Orihime, and Subaru...but who was in the green one? Was Kaede a pilot too?

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

drat, the Eisenkleids are way cooler. I mean come on. One of them used a lance. You can't top a lance for killerizing.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

YES finally we get to see Koubu shot out of the sky again :unsmith:

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

quote:

Hah! You remember how hard it was just to get pilots with high enough levels of spiritual energy, right? With the ratio of spiritually-inclined men to women being what it is, you'd end up with six women to one man. Who'd be dumb enough to try something as risky and potentially world-shattering as THAT?

They forgot that most candidates aren't out of their teens either. Or hell, that the best ones aren't even IN their teens.

So, we get to meet the Star Division in a later game?

veekie fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Aug 1, 2008

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008

Schadenfraulein posted:

I must be retarded because this is the first time I've noticed a fifth Eisenkleid. I know that four of the pilots are Ratchet, Leni, Orihime, and Subaru...but who was in the green one? Was Kaede a pilot too?
I don't know what any of the changes in the PS2 version are, but considering it's green... who else has a green Koubu? Whose chapter is this being brought up it?

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Glazius posted:

Not even throw them away so much as hurl them like throwing knives, dash to the Wakiji ahead of them, uppercut it so it gets run through, jump up, and kick off its midsection while pulling the swords out.

I guess I'll just have to settle for South Wind, Big Wave, which is good enough.

... that would actually be ridiculously badass.

Too bad this isn't Super Robot Wars. :smith:

Schadenfraulein posted:

As of yet, they haven't done anything with the purported fifth member of the Star Division, if there ever was one; the four that you mentioned are the only four that have been revealed.

The fifth might crop up in a later sequel, assuming that they're still DOING sequels for Sakura Wars. Who knows?

GruntyThrst posted:

drat, the Eisenkleids are way cooler. I mean come on. One of them used a lance. You can't top a lance for killerizing.

They kind of are. Remember, of course, that what weapon a spirit armor unit uses depends directly on where the pilot's proficiencies/powers lie, so...

veekie posted:

So, we get to meet the Star Division in a later game?

In bits and pieces, yeah.

TapamN posted:

I don't know what any of the changes in the PS2 version are, but considering it's green... who else has a green Koubu? Whose chapter is this being brought up it?

They probably would've mentioned it right off the bat if Kohran was a former member of the Star Division.

And if she'd been running around and helping them blow poo poo up, she probably wouldn't have needed to watch that footage.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Spirit Armor posted:

They probably would've mentioned it right off the bat if Kohran was a former member of the Star Division.

And if she'd been running around and helping them blow poo poo up, she probably wouldn't have needed to watch that footage.

I think the implication was that the pilot would be, like, Kohran's mother or something.

Makes more sense.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Spirit Armor posted:

In bits and pieces, yeah.

:gonk:

I know what you are implying, but still.

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Canuck-Errant posted:

I think the implication was that the pilot would be, like, Kohran's mother or something.

Makes more sense.

Ah, I see now.

Actually, though, Kohran would be at about the right age to have been in the Star Division, if I recall correctly. I'm... honestly not sure how long ago the Star Division thing took place, but it couldn't have been longer than three or four years ago, at most. Her mom: much less likely, 'cause she's probably 1) dead or 2) in China or 3) both.

GruntyThrst posted:

:gonk:

... on hindsight, I probably could've phrased that better, huh.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You'd think the Hive of Darkness would get wise to this kind of thing and beam down into a populated district. Kohran would get in the way of everybody's shots because they'd go wide and blow poo poo up.

But I guess they can't survive in the unspiritual morass of the big city, so that's right out.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

Glazius posted:

You'd think the Hive of Darkness would get wise to this kind of thing and beam down into a populated district. Kohran would get in the way of everybody's shots because they'd go wide and blow poo poo up.

But I guess they can't survive in the unspiritual morass of the big city, so that's right out.

Plus you can't discount the fact that the Hive's super-secret plans seem to involve depriving Tokyo of all its cheap wooden fast-food stands. Where else do you expect to find lots of those? Downtown? Pfft.

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008

Geomancing posted:

Plus you can't discount the fact that the Hive's super-secret plans seem to involve depriving Tokyo of all its cheap wooden fast-food stands. Where else do you expect to find lots of those? Downtown? Pfft.

I've got it! The Hive of Darkness is an ENVIROMENTAL GROUP! THEY'RE TRYING TO CLEAR THE LAND OF ALL TRASH!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Crono S. Magnum posted:

I've got it! The Hive of Darkness is an ENVIROMENTAL GROUP! THEY'RE TRYING TO CLEAR THE LAND OF ALL TRASH!
As long as they aren't rolling it all up into larger and larger balls to replace the stars in the sky, then it's ok.

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.

Spirit Armor posted:

As of yet, they haven't done anything with the purported fifth member of the Star Division, if there ever was one; the four that you mentioned are the only four that have been revealed.

The fifth might crop up in a later sequel, assuming that they're still DOING sequels for Sakura Wars. Who knows?

It could be that jewish girl slated to make an appearance in Sakura Wars 6: The Battle for The Reich. :v:

Crono S. Magnum posted:

Pretty ironic seeing as their ultimate goal is to raise up a giant landfill from the sea.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Spirit Armor posted:

[Yoneda]

Sweet! Let's launch BOTH AT THE SAME TIME.

[Ayame]

... no.

[Yoneda]

C'moooooon, we can link 'em together and call it the Rolling Shogeimaru! It'll be the first blimptrain in existence!!

Why can't this be true? It would be so awesome.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

SirSamVimes posted:

Why can't this be true? It would be so awesome.

I'm having trouble imagining how a blimptrain would work. I mean a train runs on tracks, and a blimp flies.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

GruntyThrst posted:

I'm having trouble imagining how a blimptrain would work. I mean a train runs on tracks, and a blimp flies.

Isn't it obvious? It'll have, like, giant extendo wheels. So it'll still be flying and on a track at the same time!

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

GruntyThrst posted:

So it drags the tracks into the air, too.

Duh.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

GruntyThrst posted:

Fly on air-tracks made out of ROCKETS.

Empyreal
Jan 29, 2008

This is a good thread. I like this thread. Let's all be friends.
Have none of you noticed a discrepancy? Consider this. Most people would have had snapped and gone insane by now due to traumatic stress, and yet, Ogami hasn't. Instead, he has become better, stronger, faster. Look at his skills. Naval Officer. Master Cook. Martial Artist. Mecha Pilot. Piano and Cello Player. Master Waxer. He even dueled with Kanna and didn't die horribly. It was a STALEMATE. What doesn't kill him makes him stronger, and he could almost be classified as super-human right now. Don't you see? It wasn't coincidence that landed him here, this is a plan by Iris to make him into an Elder God. It is only a matter of time before it happens.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Empyreal posted:

Have none of you noticed a discrepancy? Consider this. Most people would have had snapped and gone insane by now due to traumatic stress, and yet, Ogami hasn't. Instead, he has become better, stronger, faster. Look at his skills. Naval Officer. Master Cook. Martial Artist. Mecha Pilot. Piano and Cello Player. Master Waxer. He even dueled with Kanna and didn't die horribly. It was a STALEMATE. What doesn't kill him makes him stronger, and he could almost be classified as super-human right now. Don't you see? It wasn't coincidence that landed him here, this is a plan by Iris to make him into an Elder God. It is only a matter of time before it happens.

Of course, she needs a mate for when she ascends, it can get awfully lonely up there.

DNE
Nov 24, 2007
The stars are right for a white wedding.

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007

Behold Blimptrain!

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008

Delvio posted:

Behold Blimptrain!

Aw dammit. I was hoping it wouldn't look as awesome as it sounds :smith:

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
So in summary, Kohran was upset because she thinks machines are sentient and have feelings, but don't know how to talk.

OK then.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mordecai posted:

So in summary, Kohran was upset because she thinks machines are sentient and have feelings, but don't know how to talk.

OK then.
I was interpreting that as her taking an animistic(I _think_ that's right right world) view, where she's not literally talking about the machines actually thinking so much as them having spirits, and those spirits are the ones crying etc.

Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Er. Sorry, folks, the update's probably going to continue being delayed for a bit, I've had the attention span of a goldfish these past few days.

I'm also trying to figure out how the hell to balance content in the combat-oriented updates. I'm kind of tempted to, for the first part of the battle, skip everything but the conversations and a few observations, rather than the usual blow-by-blow commentary. This may be due to the fact that nothing of note/that you haven't already seen happens.

Anyways...

Glazius posted:

Geomancing posted:

I still think their problem is their delivery.

You KNOW there's something wrong when a normal human being can seriously do more damage to a city with a blazing torch applied to a few places at once than a squad of demonic machines can.

Crono S. Magnum posted:

That's... actually hideously ironic, given how Tenkai tends to rant about the Imperial Capital being unclean and impure and did I mention unclean.

Demonic Greenpeace? Awesome.

CannonFodder posted:

As long as they aren't rolling it all up into larger and larger balls to replace the stars in the sky, then it's ok.

So, uh, if the Hive of Darkness is the Prince, then who the heck is the King of All Cosmos?

Morgenthau posted:

It could be that jewish girl slated to make an appearance in Sakura Wars 6: The Battle for The Reich.

Oh good lord no. Do you really want to see how many Jewish stereotypes they can fit into one character? :gonk:

Empyreal posted:

Or Ogami could just have some sort of hidden mystic pimptential that's slowly being unearthed.

It's Schrodinger's Dating Sim Protagonist. We don't know which of the pilots in the theater he'll eventually end up with; he could potentially be the one true love interest for every woman in the theater. Thus, while we're still unsure, he ends up being the perfect love interest for every woman in the theater at the same time.

Delvio posted:

Behold Blimptrain!

This is the perfect answer to everyone wondering if a blimp-train is possi--

Are those... are those propeller-wheels?

You've made my day. :unsmith:

Zereth posted:

I was interpreting that as her taking an animistic(I _think_ that's right right world) view, where she's not literally talking about the machines actually thinking so much as them having spirits, and those spirits are the ones crying etc.

You realize that this makes her a steampunk hippie in 1923 Japan.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I think a brief overview of the layout and map will do, then the conversation and tea party, then the interesting bit. Oh. And if Sumire gets to kill anything.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Spirit Armor posted:

Beats the poo poo out of being an ACTUAL hippie. And besides, technology is AWESOME. And it's less insane than the other guy's interpret-

You know what? Nevermind, I think the other guy was right. Sakura Wars? LESS insane? What was I thinking? :doh:

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I like the full blow-by-blows, personally.

I won't complain if they're gone, but I'll miss 'em.

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.

Spirit Armor posted:

Oh good lord no. Do you really want to see how many Jewish stereotypes they can fit into one character? :gonk:

Hey they could be subtle like Yomiko Readman. :swoon:

I'd probably kill myself if I heard a Japanized version of Oy Vey.

Spirit Armor posted:

That's... actually hideously ironic, given how Tenkai tends to rant about the Imperial Capital being unclean and impure and did I mention unclean.

Demonic Greenpeace? Awesome

I tend to think of them as cruel prankster environmentalists. They clean up the all the filth in Teito only to raise up a giant landfill from the sea at the end of the game and chuck the filth there as a giant 'gently caress YOU' to the rest of the city.
And pseudo-xenomorphs are more like undead sanitation workers.

They don't want to rip out your fleshy body from your steam powered armor and consume you, they just like doing what they do a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Spirit Armor posted:

You say that like it's a bad thing.

• Locked thread