Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
I could not resist posting to this thread any longer, so I bought an account and decided to do so. I bought the Dreamcast version of Sakura Taisen in around August (I had been planning to order it since before summer 2007, but I knew I wouldn't really be able to playing during summer, so I held off buying it). Since then, I've gotten Sakura Taisen 3, my Dreamcast's GD drive has died, I've gotten a replacement Dreamcast, I finish Sakura Taisen 1 and 3, I order and receive the Dreamcast version of Sakura Taisen 4 and Saturn version of Sakura Taisen 2, and beat Sakura Taisen 4. (I haven't had a chance to finish even the first chapter of ST2.)

If anyone is interested, I can probably upload videos of the DC's Sakura Taisen minigames at some point, since only the hanafuda one seems to have made it over into the PS2 version. (Although only Sakura's minigame is really worth playing...) Putting up a video of the grid based battle system is also an option.

I can't remember reading in the thread whether or not you are going to do the other Sakura Taisen games. Are you? There are some great moments of Oogami pain in ST3, and then in ST4 there's the amazing every-Paris-and-Tokyo- hanagumi-member-walks- in-on-Oogami bath scene. I'd like to see your take on them. Not to mention that ST1 is probably the worst out of all of the three I've finished... having to put up with Iris and the awful Sumire/Kanna chapter and final chapter make it rank much lower with me. ST3 and ST4 never had such large sections of concentrated stupidity.

I also greatly enjoy seeing one of Kohran's inventions foreshadowed timebombs walk off with Iris. I am waiting in anticipation for the inevitable result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
I think I'll have a chance to put something together sometime today. However, I don't think I have any saves for a battle that occurs near where the LP is. The "earliest" option I have would be the battle with Chou; I'd have to replay the game from the start to get to another... I'm not planning on including any translated plot text/cutscenes, so that shouldn't be a problem. But there would be the issues that I'd be showing Iris' mecha before it's proper LP debut, I'd be using the model 2 mecha during the battle, and fighting the disc 2 xenomorphs instead of wakiji.. If using this battle for the demo is a problem, just say so.

Also, I'd like to register a pity vote for Sakura.

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
I think I have my computer set up to record again... I had to swap out my motherboard to get smooth recording. I still can't get the sound card to work right, so I need a second computer to record the sound, but the end result should be passable when put together. Have you decided how the battle recordings should handled?

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
I don't have good recordings of the other minigames yet, but you can look at Sumire in a bikini and watch me poison Maria.

Sumire's minigame
Maria's minigame
Kanna's minigame

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
In the Kanna minigame, you need to memorize the kids'/dog's names. Then people will come by and ask for someone by their (Japanese) name. You then go and pick the correct wrong person.

As I said before, the ST1 minigames are all pretty crappy. Only the shooting game, Sakura's, and Sumire's could be considered entertaining. ST3 has some really good ones... a fast QTE minigame, a simple Smash TV style shooter, and a beat'em up!

(Heheh. Sumire's has the most views out of all of them. Gee, I wonder why?)

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
Sakura's Minigame
Iris' Minigame
(Shooting) Hatsumode Minigame

Sakura's minigame occurs during the event where Oogami helps Sakura clean backstage. It apparently has been replaced by a QTE in the PS2 version.

I'm skipping Kohran's (the card game) since it's also in the PS2 version. But her SD sprite can be seen in the Hatsumode minigame.

All of the minigames display some special picture when beaten with a certain score. In the videos, I only get the picture for Sumire. I'll post all of the pictures at some other point (Friday or Saturday, likely.) in 640*480.

I thing worth mentioning is that I skipped a... easter egg deadly land mine in one of the minigames. It's in Iris' minigame. I hope I don't need to elaborate. You should all be thanking me for not subjecting you to it.

Since someone commented on the music...

The music used for the minigames are remixes of the character's theme music, sometimes sounding drastically different from the real song. This are videos of performances of the character's themes:

Sakura's ST1 Theme - Big changes between the minigame remix and the real thing.
Sumire's ST1 Theme - A very well done performance.
Maria's ST1 Theme - The official recording sounds much, much better. Maria has a lot of good songs... but the voice actor does poorly here.
Kanna's ST1 Theme - Kanna has some trouble with the microphone.
Kohran's ST1 Theme - The motions are a bit distracting, but the singing ok.
Iris' ST1 Theme - Urg... they gave the actress oversized clothes to make her seem smaller. The song is nothing special, otherwise.
Ayame's ST1 Theme - Another very well done performance. The song is a bit different than the official recording... I like this version more. If you can understand Japanese, the lyrics are kind of spoilery.
Shooting game music (Ai Wa Daiya) - The part you hear in the minigame doesn't start until about one minute in.

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008

Spirit Armor posted:

The first game's instruction booklet goes so far as to give out each pilot's three sizes, after all. :gonk:
The ST4 manual has sizes, too. But not for the Paris girls for some reason. And, in a surprising display of decency, none are listed for Iris and Reni.

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008

Schadenfraulein posted:

Ah, I think I see it. The bunnygirl costume, right?
If only that was it. The thing I was talking about is far, far worse.

Keep in mind the phrase, "Curiosity killed the cat."

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008

Spirit Armor posted:

Actually, the battle recordings probably aren't all that necessary, since Sakura Wars 2 (which, thankfully, is also the last of the grid-based systems) is coming up next anyways. Doubly so, since it looks like it'd 1) put you through a lot of trouble, or 2) lead to a number of spoilers.
I've just decided I'm going to do a ST1 battle anyways. I've been going though ST2, and there are quite a few differences between them.

For example, in ST2 and onwards, Oogami can preform three covers per battle to block all damage a team member takes. In ST1, Oogami has EIGHT covers per battle. It's pretty broken, yeah. At first, I thought the change was just a grid versus gridless issue, but then I got to my first Saturn ST2 battle... Another change would be that there are no wind/woods/etc options in ST1; it was first introduced in ST2. I again thought that was just a grid versus gridless issue. Another minor difference would be Sakura's special attack; it has infinite range in ST1, but is limited to five spaces in ST2, and in the gridless systems it equivalent to the range in ST2. And after the upgrade, Sakura's special attack is three spaces wide and still has infinite range! With it, Sakura can often kill off half of a map's enemies with a single move!

I'm going to do the first battle, it shouldn't take too long to play up to there, and with videos of the PS2 version up, it will give a nice comparison. But the first battle isn't exactly the most exciting... oh well.

I've also decided that I'll put up the DC version of Koi Koi. People can hear the minigame remix of Kohran's music that way. I'll also try to put up a video of what the theater looks like in ST1; it's missing a few areas that were added during ST2, and stuck back in for the PS2 version, such as the attic and being able to enter the courtyard. It's also static art, rather than rendered.

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008

TheGreenAvenger posted:

Derf. His name is a pun. Segata Sanshirou turns into Sega Sata-n shiro which means "Play Sega Saturn."
It also refers to the, at the time of the first Segata commercials, new white Sega Saturns. At first in Japan, Saturns were a grey color; the better known white Saturns were released later.

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
I just discovered the wonders of the R button on the Dreamcast version of Sakura Taisen. Text goes by at light speed (about one screen per two frames), and most animations are sped up or skipped. It only took a few minutes to get to the first battle.

I rushed a bit though the battle, to get it all in YouTube's time limits, but it shows the entirety of the first battle using the grid based system. One notable difference is that in the Dreamcast version, the boss is sitting on the map from the start, while in the PS2 version you have to beat all of the Wakiji first.

I also piss off Sakura.

First Battle Dreamcast Version
Spirit Armor's PS2 video of the same battle Part 1 - Part 2

Kohran's minigame and the minigame win pictures come later. Kohran's will have to wait until next week, but I doubt that bothers anyone. I can probably upload the pictures within a few days.

For the record, here are the old videos.
Sakura's Minigame
Iris' Minigame
(Shooting) Hatsumode Minigame
Sumire's minigame
Maria's minigame
Kanna's minigame

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008

Spirit Armor posted:

[Sakura]

0 Votes
Hey, I gave Sakura a pity vote, so she has at least one.

Ah, all of you people throwing spoilers around... I could beat you all in regards to who dies. Stuff that isn't on Wikipedia.

Heh, there's really only two who are going to be in ST3's top rankings... :black101: and :ssj: . Maybe a few votes for :blush: , with :catholic: and :pedo: relegated to Sakura's and Iris' places.

Anyways, here are the minigame win pictures. I took the screenshots with a composite cable, I couldn't find my real s-video cable, and when I tried my VGA box's s-video output, it was... sharper, but had a horrible dot pattern and random distortions. It was actually pretty cool, but not suitable for this. I haven't modified the win pictures other than fixing a contrast problem my TV tuner has, so if you want to try to clean up Sumire for wallpaper, all you have to deal with is a little JPEG compression.

Top floor of the old ST1 theather. It's missing the stairs to the attic and the game room. This screenshot is from the first chapter, so Kanna and Kohran haven't moved in yet. I find it odd that you can't see the first floor from the front, but can see the inside of the courtyard.

Ground floor of the old ST1 theather. The guest entrance and courtyards are not selectable locations; they first become selectable in ST2. It's also missing the music room.

This is what everyone was waiting for, wasn't it?

Reach for your dreams, kid.

:cry:

ET phone home... (You get... odd/amusing reactions after viewing the win pictures.)

TapamN fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 23, 2008

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
I'm... kinda disappointed by the last update. I thought that you were going to have Mecha Oogami go though the alternate story path with Iris.

While Oogami stayed at the theater, the robot would do everything that happens with the "date Iris" option. But Kohran's patchwork-repaired machinery would explode during the movie, destroying the movie theater, after which Iris would run off. Then the meat real Oogami would find Iris. Iris would get mad at Oogami, which would cause with another, Iris induced, explosion destroying the fountain.

After that last update, this doesn't seem like a possiblity. Or maybe I'm just speaking too early?

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
Hahahahaha. It had occurred to me that Iris might have gone with the robot and teleported the head back, but I couldn't figure out why Iris would put it under the bed sheets, so I dismissed that possibility as too implausible. There... uh... still doesn't seem to be a reason for that, other than it's creepy and easy to write in. But you handled why the robot would acting the same as the real Oogami in a far better manner than I could have imagined.

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
I've finally uploaded the Dreamcast version of Kohran's minigame.

Card games are serious business

I happened to run across screenshots of cellphone versions of the Saturn/Dreamcast minigames that can be downloaded from the PS2 version. These screenshots are of the Sat/DC's Maria minigame. (Obviously.)

Also, I wanted to add this before the discussion got too old:

^o)))

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008

Spirit Armor posted:

TapamN! Thanks as always for this glimpse into the past. Would you happen to mind if I gather up the minigame links and put them in the first post?
Of course not, go ahead.

Spirit Armor posted:

2) I'm convinced that Sakura is borderline yandere, and Maria is quite capable of speaking her mind so long as she has a pistol in her hands because that way no one will try disagreeing with her anyway.
Yandere snap in the end, and Sakura never does that. (Well, real Sakura doesn't; Let's Play Sakura already has.) I think she's more of a Clingy Jealous Girl than anything else. Even offical sources recognize her jealousy.

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008

Spirit Armor posted:

ROBOT ROLL CALL
(In the not too distant past/Nineteen Twenty-Three...)
It's a shame Imperial Steam Theater 2000 (Kayama: *TWA~A~ANG*) was cancelled.

Also, in the Dreamcast/Saturn version, the part about catching Iris played differently. You went into battle mode and had to maneuver Oogami and Sakura to opposite sides of Iris' Koubu.

TapamN fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 2, 2008

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
For the record, Dramatic Dungeon is out. Available at Play-Asia or shady websites.

I have just discovered (ironically, considering what chapter the LP is on) that Kanna and Sumire have problems fighting a certain types of monsters. Heh.

I also find it amusing that Sega is recycling character portraits from ST2 and ST3. So some are ten years old! It's like an SNK or Capcom fighter. (Oh, that's right, KoF XII and SF2HD are coming out, aren't they?)

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
Since Spirit Armor has been gone for so long, I've decided to make new Dreamcast videos. I am currently in the process of preparing the videos for upload to YouTube. The exact time they will be up depends on how long certain circumstances take (sister's birthday), but I should have the videos ready within a few hours.

I have three videos of the second battle (Kohran's first). I split it into two because the battle took over 10 minutes. It was split into three because I accidently ran out of space on the hard drive I recorded to, and had to record an extra ~20 seconds on another disk. I also have the Dreamcast opening FMV and another version of Sumire's minigame. It's the most viewed video I've uploaded, for some reason. It's slightly different when you play through it in the normal game, rather than the special replay mode.

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
The videos are uploaded. It's been ~3 hours since I uploaded them, but YouTube is still processing one of the videos... so... (Edit: Took three days, but they all work now.)

If you want to see Kohran's special attack, it's in part 2 of the fight. Notably, there's no robot suicide.

Dreamcast Opening
Dreamcast Battle Two Part 1 - Part 2 - Part3
Sumire Alternate

TapamN fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 22, 2008

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
The second part of the battle has finally finished processing, so Kohran's Dreamcast special attack can now be seen in part 2.

Dreamcast Battle Two Part 1 - Part 2 - Part3

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
Wow. This chapter is done a lot better than the Saturn/Dreamcast version.

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008

ZeeToo posted:

Right. She knows when to make them to blow up, and when to make them to blow other things up. Her super move is the former, Koubu are the latter.
The were no kamikaze robots in the original... (Kohran's special attack at 6:02)

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
Wow. I just found this video about half an hour ago. How timely. Tsubaki vs. Maria

Also somewhat related: The Kohran is a lie.

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008

Schadenfraulein posted:

I must be retarded because this is the first time I've noticed a fifth Eisenkleid. I know that four of the pilots are Ratchet, Leni, Orihime, and Subaru...but who was in the green one? Was Kaede a pilot too?
I don't know what any of the changes in the PS2 version are, but considering it's green... who else has a green Koubu? Whose chapter is this being brought up it?

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008

Morgenthau posted:

I shudder to think of where the next LP Spirit Armor does, as the other Sakura War games are hell more intricate and longer than this one (Except for 4. 4 was a cop-out.)
Four isn't a cop-out. It's concentrated awesome.

Think of four as a movie, while the rest are TV shows.

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008

Spirit Armor posted:

... my god. That third option. My god. :gonk:
Wha... what happens when you pick that? Does it turn into some conversation about stripping wires or something?

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008

little_firebird posted:

I think it's because they completely changed her entire personality from perky, happy, psychotic to dark, quiet, emo, psychotic and needed some of that good ol' fashioned perkily psychotic to balance it out.

I think the most interesting part is Iris' birthday flackback. Watch 5:35 to 6:40.

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008

little_firebird posted:

I'm not sure I want to know what the solid arrows mean. I mean...considering Kohran's ability to make a robot that looks exactly like other people...
The arrow style doesn't seem to mean anything. The labels are more useful. (Edit: Maybe arrow style is the intensity of the label?)

For the Kohran->Tsubaki arrow, Edict returns:
仲良し {nakayoshi} (n,adj-na) intimate friend, close friend, bosom buddy, chum, (P)

Um, considering it's used for Iris<->Reni and Mell<->Ci, would there be any sort of additional connotation to it? Is it possible that the Kohran->Tsubaki arrow was a mistake, and Tsubaki->Maria was intended? (Although that seems like a hard mistake to make...) I can't even think of a time where Kohran and Tsubaki talk to each other in ST1 or ST2, so that arrow seems kind of out of place.

TapamN fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 28, 2008

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
I went ahead and made a recording of a Dreamcast disc 2 battle, showing off all of the new special attacks of the upgraded Koubu... in 2D.

Technically, this is from a battle that hasn't happened yet in this thread, but there aren't any plot spoilers in it. You can see the boss mech briefly, but it's probably been redesigned a bit for the PS2 version.

Also, Sakura is OP. Nerf plz.

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008

DoublePLayer posted:

OP is short for OverPowered.
Sakura's Special attack before the PS2 version had unlimited range.

And, post-upgrade, it's three units wide.

I think there was a better place to show off Sakura's special attack, and kill off around half the map with one move, but I don't have a save near there at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
I've ordered it as well, but it hasn't arrived yet.

Judging from the trailer, Gemini's voice will make your ears bleed. Of course, I've been in the south for the last ten years, so my knowledge of what a southern accent is supposed to or not supposed to sound like might be more acute than some others. The Dreamcast ST games have an option to disable voices, so the Wii version of ST5 will probably have the same option. (Being a diehard, frothing at the mouth, YCS, anti-Sony, pro-Dreamcast/Sega guy, I don't have a PS2 and therefore won't have the option of playing with the Japanese voices.)

• Locked thread