Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

metachronos posted:

What color do the boards use for highlighting the OP? I want my SALR to use the same color.

A slightly lighter blue then what we use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

erebus25
Jan 20, 2004

by Lowtax

metachronos posted:

What color do the boards use for highlighting the OP? I want my SALR to use the same color.

#0077AA

So yeah just a little lighter.

dpvtank
Nov 13, 2005
I went through this thread, and I don't know if I missed it or not. I also went on the feature request website to look for this but I didn't see a way to change the way the forums look.

I know that there are three modes: normal, fyad, and byob, but a way to get your own colours? When surfing this website, my eyes often get pretty tired looking at the bright whitish background. It would be great if users could completely customize their browsing experience on the forums.

Anyone?

Demented Footstool
Jan 3, 2007

Do Not Summon The Fire

dpvtank posted:

I went through this thread, and I don't know if I missed it or not. I also went on the feature request website to look for this but I didn't see a way to change the way the forums look.

I know that there are three modes: normal, fyad, and byob, but a way to get your own colours? When surfing this website, my eyes often get pretty tired looking at the bright whitish background. It would be great if users could completely customize their browsing experience on the forums.

Anyone?

You can change the colors that show up for the light/dark gray background for forum posts. Click on the "Unseen Post (light)" and "Unseen Posts (dark)" to change the colors.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

But right now the custom forum colors are still broken, right?

Demented Footstool
Jan 3, 2007

Do Not Summon The Fire

LastInLine posted:

But right now the custom forum colors are still broken, right?

It seems that way (just tried it). Unread coloring seems to be broken while read coloring seems to work. If I remember I'll take a look at it later to see what's broken.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

You can also make your own userContent.css file to change how the forums look.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
It seems like the forum is adding "amp;" in the URL it sends Firefox when you try to open the 'Who Posted' list for a thread. Would SALR be capable of fixing this?

Irish Thunder
Apr 20, 2006

First of all, I just want to say that I love this add-on. It is so useful. One feature I feel that would be really useful, if it is even possible code-wise, is to have the ability to jump to the next post by the OP. Anything like that in the works?

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

Irish Thunder posted:

First of all, I just want to say that I love this add-on. It is so useful. One feature I feel that would be really useful, if it is even possible code-wise, is to have the ability to jump to the next post by the OP. Anything like that in the works?
You could just click the ? bottom of the post table. Next to the profile stuff etc. It gives all the posts by that person in the thread.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Irish Thunder
Apr 20, 2006

Disgustipated posted:

You could just click the ? bottom of the post table. Next to the profile stuff etc. It gives all the posts by that person in the thread.

Oh wow, thanks. Didn't even know it was a feature. :doh:

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

Irish Thunder posted:

Oh wow, thanks. Didn't even know it was a feature. :doh:
It's not an SALR feature, it's actually part of the forums.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Chamberpothead posted:

Still waiting on the ignored threads to be fixed though, jerks.
Anything new on this?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

wormil posted:

Anything new on this?

Probably not. I'll check it out later this week.

Mr Crucial
Oct 28, 2005
What's new pussycat?
OK, I have a small feature request. Can we have a little bubble that pops up when you mouse-over a smilie with the code for that smilie displayed? Sometimes I have no idea what a particular smilie is supposed to be representing, and it helps to know the code if I want to use it in future without having to scroll through the whole list.

I'd add this to the feature request myself but :effort: (thats : effort :, kids)

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Mr Crucial posted:

OK, I have a small feature request. Can we have a little bubble that pops up when you mouse-over a smilie with the code for that smilie displayed? Sometimes I have no idea what a particular smilie is supposed to be representing, and it helps to know the code if I want to use it in future without having to scroll through the whole list.

I'd add this to the feature request myself but :effort: (thats : effort :, kids)
Just quote the post and read the "source."

Mr Crucial
Oct 28, 2005
What's new pussycat?

CygnusTM posted:

Just quote the post and read the "source."

Yes, but that requires me to expend the energy on clicking a couple of times. I would like to continue the Great American Tradition of being as lazy as possible.

|||||||
Aug 19, 2004

I'm not Chemmy

Mr Crucial posted:

Yes, but that requires me to expend the energy on clicking a couple of times. I would like to continue the Great American Tradition of being as lazy as possible.

Go over to bountysource and add it. If you put a bounty on it it will get done like tomorrow if not It might get done sometime.

Dies Irae
May 12, 2001

You won't believe what I found in the desert - another lost tape deck!

Mr Crucial posted:

Someone posted this script for Greasemonkey a while back (may have even been the old SALR thread?) that does exactly this, hope this works for you:
code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name           Smilie Replacer
// @include        [url]http://forums.somethingawful.com/*[/url]
// ==/UserScript==

var images = document.getElementsByTagName("img");

for ( var i = 0; i < images.length ; i++ ) { 
  if ( images[i].src.match(/emoticons/) ) {
    images[i].title = ":" + images[i].src.split(/emoticons\//)[1].split(/\./)[0].split(/\-/)[1] + ":";
  } 
  if ( images[i].src.match(/smilies/)) {
    images[i].title = ":" + images[i].src.split(/smilies\//)[1].split(/\./)[0] + ":";
  }
}

alien8
Jul 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dies Irae posted:

Someone posted this script for Greasemonkey a while back (may have even been the old SALR thread?) that does exactly this, hope this works for you:
code:
If smilie
Then mouseover title thing
Thats awesome - worked like a champ. Thanks!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Dies Irae posted:

Someone posted this script for Greasemonkey

Nice. Thanks.

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.
I love SALR and I always recommend it to all my goon-friends :D
That being said, I had some serious performance problems in FF and it turns out that it was SALR that was causing this. I don't know why, but I'm guessing it has to do with remembering the last post I've read in a thread. The only problem is that this wasn't triggered when I was on the forums, but I could be on a completely different site and it would do that without any tab having the forums opened. Switching between tabs was slow, watching videos would make the video lag, scrolling down wouldn't do anything, etc. All in all a real nightmare. I checked my computer for viruses because of the performance issues, but since the CPU was only going to 100% when I used firefox, I was fairly certain that I did not have a virus. Anyways, once I disabled SALR everything worked flawlessly again. I still don't know why this happened though and I don't really wanna have to disable SALR since I use it so much.
Any ideas?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

The Fog posted:

Any ideas?

Yes. There's some old code in there that I'm sure is causing issues. I'm going to spend some time this weekend working on clearing that out and working on speeding it up in general.

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

duz posted:

Yes. There's some old code in there that I'm sure is causing issues. I'm going to spend some time this weekend working on clearing that out and working on speeding it up in general.
Awesome! Really appreciate what you're doing! Thanks again.

Chamberpothead
Nov 6, 2005

I have no idea what details anybody else knows about the ignored threads problem, but I think I've found a pattern or two. I know almost nothing about coding, so I can only describe what's happening, not how or why.

Today only one out of six threads is still listed as ignored by the extension after not visiting GBS for about three days. Searching for the thread titles in salastread.sqlite turns up nothing.

I mark a new thread ignored from the thread list via the context menu and reload GBS to confirm the thread title in the SALR options. Shows up in salastread.sqlite too.

While I'm doing this, one of the threads I had ignored before gets bumped. So I mark it ignored via the context menu. Shows up as a [null] thread in the options. Good...

...reload GBS and it's visible and gone from the options! But it's now in salastread.sqlite! I go in and change the ignore flag to True by hand. Now it's ignored and shows up with its title in the options!

The threads that get wiped completely from the database and don't get their ignore flags set to true when I ignore them a second (third, fourth...) time are all threads that I've visited, and the only way to keep them ignored (for a while) is to set the ignored flag by hand.

I had been looking at the database before, but this finally confirmed that visiting the thread makes it impossible to ignore. Why they get purged completely, I have no idea.

What's weird is that I can see absolutely ancient threads in the database. I can see all sorts of leftover stuff from when SALR handled more duties. That's why it's so strange to have active threads disappear.

I hope I remembered all the details right, ask me if anything isn't clear. And I'm willing to try out other stuff if it'll help.

|||||||
Aug 19, 2004

I'm not Chemmy

Chamberpothead posted:

I have no idea what details anybody else knows about the ignored threads problem, but I think I've found a pattern or two. I know almost nothing about coding, so I can only describe what's happening, not how or why.

Ignored threads status: broken.

Mr Crucial
Oct 28, 2005
What's new pussycat?

Dies Irae posted:

Someone posted this script for Greasemonkey...

Top banana! Awesome, thanks very much.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Chamberpothead posted:

The threads that get wiped completely from the database and don't get their ignore flags set to true when I ignore them a second (third, fourth...) time are all threads that I've visited, and the only way to keep them ignored (for a while) is to set the ignored flag by hand.

I had been looking at the database before, but this finally confirmed that visiting the thread makes it impossible to ignore. Why they get purged completely, I have no idea.

What's weird is that I can see absolutely ancient threads in the database. I can see all sorts of leftover stuff from when SALR handled more duties. That's why it's so strange to have active threads disappear.

I hope I remembered all the details right, ask me if anything isn't clear. And I'm willing to try out other stuff if it'll help.

I blame tivac since he got excited and cleared out a ton of SQLite code when the forums took over the last read functionality. I'll have to keep an eye out for the ignore thread stuff while I work on speeding up the code.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

I submitted a bug report and I thought it might be useful to mirror it here in the thread to see if other people can confirm the same problem. This is with the latest build.

Summary

In the Quick Edit window, "Subscribe" is defaulted to unchecked if that is the user’s preference, just like in the Quick Reply window. However, unlike Quick Reply, Quick Edit will actually unsubscribe from a bookmarked thread if you edit a post in it and leave that box unchecked. The default behavior in Quick Edit is "unsubscribe if unchecked," whereas Quick Reply’s seems to be "do nothing if unchecked."

Steps to Reproduce

1. Bookmark a thread.
2. If you haven’t already posted in that thread, make a new post in it.
3. Use Quick Edit on that post, and uncheck "Subscribe" before hitting "Submit."
4. Look at your User Control Panel and note that the thread does not appear on the bookmarked threads list.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
edit: solved my own problem. The quick reply and quote buttons were broken, it was a greasemonkey script causing the problem. I have no idea.

Actually, it was a highlighter script I edited myself, but I still don't know why it was breaking the buttons.

Nefarious code in question:

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name           SA Reply Highlighter
// @namespace      cinephile AT gmail dot com
// @include        [url]http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=*[/url]
// @description    Highlights replies to your posts
// ==/UserScript==

// Change the "wordcount" variable to reflect the exact number of words
// in your list:

var wordcount = 1

var word = new Array(wordcount)
var color = new Array(wordcount)

// Edit the list of word/color combinations below. Words are not case
// sensitive. Colors can be either standard labels (red, green, etc.)
// or HEX values (#FF000, #0000FF, etc.) If adding words that might
// also be HTML tags (script, table, etc.), put a space before them:

word[0] = "Harmonica posted:"
color[0] = "yellow"

// The code below does the actual highlighting:

var body = document.body.innerHTML
var i = 0

for (i = 0; i < (word.length); i++) {

var w = new RegExp( word[i], "gi" )
	var body = body.replace(w, "<font style='background: " + color[i] 
	+";" +"'>"+ word[i] + "</font>")

}

document.body.innerHTML = body
It worked pretty well, too :sigh:

Does anyone know if there's a way to highlight the posts of people quoting you?

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 5, 2007

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Harmonica posted:

Does anyone know if there's a way to highlight the posts of people quoting you?

I know someone was working on it, don't know if they got it finished. I'll check later.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

duz posted:

I blame tivac since he got excited and cleared out a ton of SQLite code when the forums took over the last read functionality. I'll have to keep an eye out for the ignore thread stuff while I work on speeding up the code.

Hey screw you buddy. Maybe if I can ever get some free time I'll start checking into some of this.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Tivac posted:

Hey screw you buddy. Maybe if I can ever get some free time I'll start checking into some of this.

Crap! He isn't dead!
I tease.

I've got some free time tonight, I'll try to get a new nightly out with some of these things fixed.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

How do you remove a forgotten starred thread that has since gone to archives?
I don't have archive access and the thread is no longer relevant and I'd like to remove it.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Robnoxious posted:

How do you remove a forgotten starred thread that has since gone to archives?
I don't have archive access and the thread is no longer relevant and I'd like to remove it.

I'm not sure what SALR does now, but starred threads used to be stored in the main thread cache file, which would mean they'd automatically get forgotten after a couple weeks if you haven't seen them on the forum.

If that's still the case, you can delete the line for the thread from salastread.xml in your Firefox profile directory while Firefox is closed to remove the thread from the cache yourself.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

biznatchio posted:

I'm not sure what SALR does now, but starred threads used to be stored in the main thread cache file, which would mean they'd automatically get forgotten after a couple weeks if you haven't seen them on the forum.

If that's still the case, you can delete the line for the thread from salastread.xml in your Firefox profile directory while Firefox is closed to remove the thread from the cache yourself.

They're in the database now. I'm not sure if they expire still or not.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
Testing an SALR bug. This is a reply using Quick Reply.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

ryanbruce posted:

Testing an SALR bug. This is a reply using Quick Reply.

If it's the subscription bug, it's fixed in the repository. I'm waiting for tonight's forum update to go out before I push a new version of SALR out though.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
Well now I'm not able to get what I getting before. Here's what I'm doing:

1. Post using Quick Reply
2. Edit that post using Quick Edit
3. Click Quick Quote of post above mine
4. Comment on that quoted item
5. Hit Submit.

I would get a new post instead of an edit. Now I'm getting this instead:

1. Post using Quick Reply
2. Edit post using Quick Edit
3. Click Quick Quote of post above mine
4. Never actually retrieve quote.

FF 2.0.0.6, SALR v1.99.070730

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmsta
Oct 24, 2004

Shedding bell-end tears in the pocket of her resistance.
Grimey Drawer

quote:

- Added ability to reset "seen" status on threads
Looks like the forums now do essentially what SALR was doing for us. Now we can un-see threads. :)

• Locked thread