Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wa27
Jan 15, 2007

leonje posted:

using 1.99.080516 and ff 2.0.0.14 on xp pro

happens every time i view any threadlist.
I'm also getting this. It didn't seem to cause any problems as far as I can see, so I just disabled error popups. My ignoredKeywords value was set to "default".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I just got an error popup. It happened either when I was loading page 2 of a thread I hadn't read before or in the process of trying to navigate back up to the forum using mouse gestures (please forgive me for not knowing which, I just woke up and am not all the way awake yet - I think it might have happened when I right clicked to do the mouse gesture navigation though). I haven't been able to replicate it yet, but in case the popup means something to you I'll include it:

I'm currently using Firefox 3 RC1 Build 1 on Windows Vista.

I'm also seeing something strange still related to the daysprune/mouse gestures: If there is no daysprune value set, the mouse gestures will still add daysprune=30 to the URL. The comedy goldmine itself seems to completely ignore custom daysprune values now, so it's not that big of a deal, but it still seems somewhat silly to me to add extra stuff to the query when it isn't needed.

RedKazan
Apr 4, 2003

astral posted:

I just got an error popup. It happened either when I was loading page 2 of a thread I hadn't read before or in the process of trying to navigate back up to the forum using mouse gestures (please forgive me for not knowing which, I just woke up and am not all the way awake yet - I think it might have happened when I right clicked to do the mouse gesture navigation though). I haven't been able to replicate it yet, but in case the popup means something to you I'll include it:
Errors like that are not uncommon when the script gets halted due to changing pages too quickly or the page not fully loading for whatever reason. But let me know if it happens on a regular basis. I'm hoping to rewrite a lot of the databasing code eventually to provide more error-catching and prevent a lot of the unnecessary pop up errors.

astral posted:

I'm also seeing something strange still related to the daysprune/mouse gestures: If there is no daysprune value set, the mouse gestures will still add daysprune=30 to the URL. The comedy goldmine itself seems to completely ignore custom daysprune values now, so it's not that big of a deal, but it still seems somewhat silly to me to add extra stuff to the query when it isn't needed.
That's because the forums add all that stuff when you go to another page anyway. Hover over the 2, 3, whatever page links; all that extra stuff in there isn't our doing. 30 is the forums default daysprune, but I should probably set it to snag your default out of the Pages links.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

RedKazan posted:

That's because the forums add all that stuff when you go to another page anyway. Hover over the 2, 3, whatever page links; all that extra stuff in there isn't our doing. 30 is the forums default daysprune, but I should probably set it to snag your default out of the Pages links.

I'm not seeing a daysprune on my page links. Here's the link I see to the previous page of this thread, using the numbers:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2571027&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=31

Edit: Oh, don't I look like an idiot.
vv

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 17, 2008

RedKazan
Apr 4, 2003

m2pt5 posted:

I'm not seeing a daysprune on my page links. Here's the link I see to the previous page of this thread, using the numbers:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2571027&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=31

Forum index page links. Daysprune has no effect inside of threads.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

RedKazan posted:

Errors like that are not uncommon when the script gets halted due to changing pages too quickly or the page not fully loading for whatever reason. But let me know if it happens on a regular basis. I'm hoping to rewrite a lot of the databasing code eventually to provide more error-catching and prevent a lot of the unnecessary pop up errors.

Ah, good to know that it's not serious.

quote:

Sounds good. You may want to alter the lower-right corner navigator too, as if we start from GBS at the following link:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=1

we have these links to page 2:

In-page navigation:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/fo...=0&pagenumber=2

SALR Lower-right corner navigator:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=1&pagenumber=2

SALR Mouse gesture navigator:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/fo...=0&pagenumber=2

RedKazan
Apr 4, 2003

Forums user astral has been gracious enough to help fix some of the major issues with FF3. All praise be unto him.

New Update!. (1.99.080518)

Known Issues
- See the second post (probably out of date!)
- Turning the context menu on/off requires a restart (may be FF3 only)
- The two color selector boxes for Admin Color and Background will show up as red the first time the prefs window is open but will update eventually (the correct colors will still display if you click on them and in the forums) (should be FF3 only)
- The context menu labels will not update, but still functionally work as intended (i.e. after starring a post the menu will still say "Star This Post" when what it really means is "Unstar This Post" which is what it will do) (may be FF3 only)

Bug fixes
- Fixed preferences not loading the first time you open the preferences window in FF3 (except for the Admin colors)
- Fixed the context menu not appearing in FF3

And yes I know "FF" isn't the "prefered" Firefox abbreviation, go to hell; "Fx" looks retarded.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

RedKazan posted:

And yes I know "FF" isn't the "prefered" Firefox abbreviation, go to hell; "Fx" looks retarded.

I've always used FF and never heard or thought of using Fx to be honest. Thanks for all the speedy and frequent updates recently! :)

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
On both Firefox 2 and 3, and with the most recent just-released SALR posted a couple of posts up (as well as the previous one before that), I'm getting the same error as astral error on every thread-view.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Searched the last three pages and didn't find anything on this...

I don't know if it is a SALR problem or Firefox3 RC1 problem, but last night after updating to 1.99.080516 my quick edit/quick post buttons no longer work. I saw where there was a problem between the prerelease FF3 and the quick buttons but it was also posted that the problem was fixed prior to RC1. Using XP Pro.

Also, never saw any comment on the conflict I reported between SALR and the ebay add-on which crashes Firefox. Anyone have plans to take a look at that?

PovRayMan
Dec 25, 2002

Never get Freudian on a man holding a pickle.

Volte posted:

On both Firefox 2 and 3, and with the most recent just-released SALR posted a couple of posts up (as well as the previous one before that), I'm getting the same error as astral error on every thread-view.

I am getting this so then I just went to the SALR options, checked "don't display error popups"

Problem solved!

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Thanks. I knew that option existed but despite being in the most obvious location possible, I could not find it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

wormil posted:

Searched the last three pages and didn't find anything on this...

I don't know if it is a SALR problem or Firefox3 RC1 problem, but last night after updating to 1.99.080516 my quick edit/quick post buttons no longer work. I saw where there was a problem between the prerelease FF3 and the quick buttons but it was also posted that the problem was fixed prior to RC1. Using XP Pro.

Also, never saw any comment on the conflict I reported between SALR and the ebay add-on which crashes Firefox. Anyone have plans to take a look at that?

Quick Edit/Post Still broken with 0518

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
I didn't even realize error reporting was turned off (by default?). Here is a SS of what I am getting.

RedKazan
Apr 4, 2003

I'm going to take some time this week to completely rewrite anything that interacts with mozStorage to maintain some kind of decent level of informative error catching, since the errors mozStorage returns are worthless. So if everyone will please bear with us we can hopefully make these database problems something of the past.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

RedKazan posted:

Known Issues
- Turning the context menu on/off requires a restart (may be FF3 only)
- The two color selector boxes for Admin Color and Background will show up as red the first time the prefs window is open but will update eventually (the correct colors will still display if you click on them and in the forums) (should be FF3 only)
- The context menu labels will not update, but still functionally work as intended (i.e. after starring a post the menu will still say "Star This Post" when what it really means is "Unstar This Post" which is what it will do) (may be FF3 only)

I've fixed these three and they should be available in the next update. :)

wormil - What do you mean by "my quick edit/quick post buttons no longer work"? Do the quick buttons not show up? Do they show up but not respond to being clicked? There are a few different ways that something can stop working, so please be a little more specific. You could also try to run SALR with a new firefox profile (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_new_Firefox_profile_on_Windows), log in to the forums, and see if the problem persists.

astral fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 20, 2008

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

astral posted:

wormil - What do you mean by "my quick edit/quick post buttons no longer work"?

I click the button, a window opens but it never goes past the please wait dialog. And I just realized I only have the problem in FF3 RC1, FF2 works as normal.

Devi
Jan 15, 2006

CYCLOPS
WAS RIGHT

wormil posted:

I click the button, a window opens but it never goes past the please wait dialog. And I just realized I only have the problem in FF3 RC1, FF2 works as normal.

Same thing here. And "submit" stays grayed out.

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

This bagga nasty from Dogbert is
FRESH
Like an echo, same errors going on here. Firefox latest on WinXP SP2

astral
Apr 26, 2004

wormil posted:

Are the different browser versions using distinct profiles or sharing one? Have you tested it with a clean profile in Firefox 3?

I briefly had a similar problem a long time ago with an earlier beta of Firefox, but the problem disappeared shortly afterwards.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

astral posted:

Are the different browser versions using distinct profiles or sharing one? Have you tested it with a clean profile in Firefox 3?

I admit to being browser ignorant. I installed the two versions in different directories but maybe FF3 imported my FF2 profile. Let me try to test it.

edit: must be a profile issue then, works fine with a new profile.

wormil fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 20, 2008

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!
For what it's worth, it works fine for me with FF3 RC1 on Vista 32.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

wormil posted:

I admit to being browser ignorant. I installed the two versions in different directories but maybe FF3 imported my FF2 profile. Let me try to test it.

edit: must be a profile issue then, works fine with a new profile.

You might find this link helpful then: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Migrating_settings_to_a_new_profile

A lot of weird things can happen when you go from using FF2 to using FF3 with the same profile. Yeah, I know it sucks.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

astral posted:

You might find this link helpful then: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Migrating_settings_to_a_new_profile

A lot of weird things can happen when you go from using FF2 to using FF3 with the same profile. Yeah, I know it sucks.

Thanks.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

RedKazan posted:

I don't see anywhere in our CSS stuff that sets anything other than the background color for post bodies. Firebug shows it as inherited from the forum's main.css. You may need extra entries for tr.seen1 and tr.seen2.

After trying all manner of things to get my CSS file to work, it seems only completely disabling all of SALR's coloring functions will allow the read posts to have the "proper" borders and font colors as specified in my CSS. Naturally I really like the SALR coloring like user highlights and quote coloring and such.

Would it be possible to add the ability to choose custom font colors and border colors in the colors menu of the SALR config? It would be a perfect fit with the post-body colorers, and the rest of the color choosers.

Supervillin
Feb 6, 2005

Pillbug
FF 2.0.0.14
SALR 1.99.*

Just got the auto-update to SALR a day or two (or three?) ago, and now all tindeck links are wonky. For example, someone might post a link like this:

But when I look at the post I see this:

http://www.tindeck.com/audio/image/b/mhnp

The link goes to the thumbnail, not the actual tindeck audio page. If I hit the quote button, I can see (and therefore copy and paste) the url to the tindeck audio page.

I didn't change any SALR settings before this started happening, actually I don't think I've ever changed any SALR settings since about two days after installing it ages ago. Today I did go into the options and try checking/unchecking the various "convert image links to inline images" checkboxes, but none seemed to have any effect in this case.

Also checked my FF settings to make sure I wasn't doing anything strange like not loading images. I'm not, and other images / links show up fine in the forums.

Edit: In the "quick reply" window I could actually see the tindeck thumbnail image in the first example I posted, but when the post is... er... posted, both of my examples just show http://www.tindeck.com/audio/image/b/mhnp

Edit:

astral posted:

You mention checking SALR and Firefox settings, but did you check your "Show image attachments and [img] code in Posts?" option in your forums User Control Panel? It's probably not this since you mention other images working fine, but it doesn't hurt to have a look. Do you have the same issue if you disable SALR?

Just looked, somehow that option was in fact set to "no" :psyduck: Strange since non-tindeck images work fine, though maybe SALR is overriding that SA preference anyway, which is fine by me.

Unfortunately, I still don't see tindeck thumbnails and the links still go to the thumbnail rather than the audio page. Will check out disabling SALR and will clear cache and come back to the forums to try to narrow down the issue.

Edit again: Got a fresh page and the link's fixed, so it looks like it was that user control panel option. No clue how that got there but MUCH appreciated, astral.

Supervillin fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 22, 2008

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
That appears to be a flaw of the timg tag and not something done by SALR.

Edit: Oh, you can't see the image? That's downright strange. I can see the image, but the link is to the full-size image rather than the audio on Tindeck like it should be.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Supervillin posted:

Edit: In the "quick reply" window I could actually see the tindeck thumbnail image in the first example I posted, but when the post is... er... posted, both of my examples just show http://www.tindeck.com/audio/image/b/mhnp

You mention checking SALR and Firefox settings, but did you check your "Show image attachments and [img] code in Posts?" option in your forums User Control Panel? It's probably not this since you mention other images working fine, but it doesn't hurt to have a look. Do you have the same issue if you disable SALR?

astral fucked around with this message at 10:21 on May 22, 2008

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number
I vaguely recall this being discussed ages ago, but search is down and I don't want to dig for it.

I hate of all the wasted space at the top of every forum page with the end less list of links for things to purchase and then the empty space from where the ad at the top of the page normally is (go ad-block). So I wrote some javascript/css that move things around and make the top of the page much more space efficient.

It turns

into

Since I don't maximize my browser windows anymore, the links at the top of the page start wrapping around, which just irks me. Also, I find the layout of those links to be difficult to read, so I never use any of them. The new layout looks a bit nicer/easier to use.

It takes advantage of some mozilla specific features (css-columns) to allow dynamic resizing, but the background color doesn't resize just right yet.

I don't know what the opinion of the SALR devs is on purely superficial changes such as this one, but if you guys are cool with it, I'm willing to try to integrate it into the SALR code.

If duz/RedKazan don't approve but there is interest anyways, I may try to make this into a separate extension or javascript file that people can run on their own.

Supervillin
Feb 6, 2005

Pillbug

kapinga posted:

I think that looks awesome. I don't have those ads blocked anymore, but that should layer it on top anyway, right? Whether part of LR or as a separate extension I'd like to get that.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Supervillin posted:

I think that looks awesome. I don't have those ads blocked anymore, but that should layer it on top anyway, right? Whether part of LR or as a separate extension I'd like to get that.

It removes the iframe that the current ad is in entirely, so the ad disappears whether or not you have ad-block. The animals stay because they aren't part of the iframe. So yes, even without ad-block that top ad will disappear and be replaced with the links box.

I have no idea what happens if someone has no-ads, though, because I don't have it or know anyone who does.

E: I hate YAMS YAMS YAMS YAMS YAMS YAMS s

RedKazan
Apr 4, 2003

If duz wants to do it, fine, but I'm not going to put code into SALR that removes the ads, sorry.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

RedKazan posted:

If duz wants to do it, fine, but I'm not going to put code into SALR that removes the ads, sorry.
I forget that the ads are important for revenue here. If I figure out something that looks decent without removing the ad, I'll suggest it.

If you're reading this and still interested PM/IM/e-mail me and I'll see if I can package it up. I don't want to clutter this thread up.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
No-ads isn't expensive guys :geno:

Also I seem to be getting those pop up errors when I view a specific post by itself, but it hasn't affected anything. I'll try turning on or off error reporting when I get home.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

kapinga posted:

I forget that the ads are important for revenue here. If I figure out something that looks decent without removing the ad, I'll suggest it.

If you're reading this and still interested PM/IM/e-mail me and I'll see if I can package it up. I don't want to clutter this thread up.

Alternatively, search me on userscripts.org. Adbot is what finally pushed me to learn Javascript/DOM

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The Bow posted:

No-ads isn't expensive guys :geno:

Also I seem to be getting those pop up errors when I view a specific post by itself, but it hasn't affected anything. I'll try turning on or off error reporting when I get home.

As it happens, I fixed this yesterday. It (along with some more FF3 bugfixes) will show up in the next nightly that comes out. :)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

kapinga posted:

Your profile doesn't have any contact information.

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

"I can't fit my meat into my new shorts!"

kapinga posted:

I vaguely recall this being discussed ages ago, but search is down and I don't want to dig for it.

I hate of all the wasted space at the top of every forum page with the end less list of links for things to purchase and then the empty space from where the ad at the top of the page normally is (go ad-block). So I wrote some javascript/css that move things around and make the top of the page much more space efficient.

It turns

into

Since I don't maximize my browser windows anymore, the links at the top of the page start wrapping around, which just irks me. Also, I find the layout of those links to be difficult to read, so I never use any of them. The new layout looks a bit nicer/easier to use.

It takes advantage of some mozilla specific features (css-columns) to allow dynamic resizing, but the background color doesn't resize just right yet.

I don't know what the opinion of the SALR devs is on purely superficial changes such as this one, but if you guys are cool with it, I'm willing to try to integrate it into the SALR code.

If duz/RedKazan don't approve but there is interest anyways, I may try to make this into a separate extension or javascript file that people can run on their own.

This is a really neat revision that I would find extremely useful until the eventual re-skin of the forums whenever that comes around in 2010(?). I'm currently using the SA Dark theme up on Userstyles.org, but with the ads turned back on (some of them are amusing).

I really just want to move both of the banner ads to the bottom, and replace the top space with a panel like yours. I want to support the site and it's ads, but fact is that adblock catches them by default, and I had to manually exempt SA. Removing the ads outright is something that tons of userstyles and greasemonkey scripts do already (Adblock did it for a while without me noticing). I don't think adjusting where they show up should be a crime.

I sent you a PM.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

hooah posted:

Your profile doesn't have any contact information.
It should be in there, but you can e-mail me at marching DOT gimp AT gmail DOT com

skywalker6705 posted:

This is a really neat revision that I would find extremely useful until the eventual re-skin of the forums whenever that comes around in 2010(?). I'm currently using the SA Dark theme up on Userstyles.org, but with the ads turned back on (some of them are amusing).

I really just want to move both of the banner ads to the bottom, and replace the top space with a panel like yours. I want to support the site and it's ads, but fact is that adblock catches them by default, and I had to manually exempt SA. Removing the ads outright is something that tons of userstyles and greasemonkey scripts do already (Adblock did it for a while without me noticing). I don't think adjusting where they show up should be a crime.

I sent you a PM.

I like this idea, it should be very easy to move the ad-banner to the bottom. If Duz/Red still say no, I'll try to get either an extension or a greasemonkey script out tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Noble Nobbler
Jul 14, 2003

Volte posted:

Me too. Oddly enough though, at work, I can use SALR fine!

I wonder what it is?

• Locked thread