Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
|||||||
Aug 19, 2004

I'm not Chemmy

Seels posted:

How do I use an xpi?

Sister Miyagi posted:

Is there any way to get the old SALR buttons back? The forum buttoNs fill me with impotent rage. ARGH WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU MAKE THEM THE SAME COLOR AS THE FORUMS AND IMPOSSIBLE TO READ THIS IS THE STUPIDEST poo poo EVER :bang:

Oh hey just like old times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The circle has come back around.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Sister Miyagi posted:

Is there any way to get the old SALR buttons back? The forum buttoNs fill me with impotent rage. ARGH WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU MAKE THEM THE SAME COLOR AS THE FORUMS AND IMPOSSIBLE TO READ THIS IS THE STUPIDEST poo poo EVER :bang:

Once I get a chance to work on the extension.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

||||||| posted:

Oh hey just like old times.

withak posted:

The circle has come back around.

Once, I was but the learner. Now I am the master.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

This is just for clarification's sake: right now, the thread coloring in the forum indexes is NOT working, right? But everything else--user highlighting, in-thread coloring, mouse gestures--is all fine, correct? I just want to make sure that I am in the same boat as everyone. With changes and tweaks to user CPs, I just like to double check that I'm reading right.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ClydeUmney posted:

This is just for clarification's sake: right now, the thread coloring in the forum indexes is NOT working, right? But everything else--user highlighting, in-thread coloring, mouse gestures--is all fine, correct? I just want to make sure that I am in the same boat as everyone. With changes and tweaks to user CPs, I just like to double check that I'm reading right.

Sounds like it. The only stuff missing is the SALR style buttons and the old style highlighting on the forum indexes. Coloring works, in that you know what threads you've looked at, but everything is highlighted blue regardless of whether there's new posts, and you don't get indication of whether or not you've posted in a thread. If you aren't getting coloring at all on the indexes, fiddle with the user cp a bit more.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
O.K....I haven't had any "in thread" coloring in a long time. Is there a setting I need to look at?

Also, how the heck do you mark a thread unread?

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

dexter6 posted:

O.K....I haven't had any "in thread" coloring in a long time. Is there a setting I need to look at?

Also, how the heck do you mark a thread unread?

Check your Control Panel options.

Go back to the forum (eg GBS) and click the red X on the thread.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

ryanbruce posted:

Check your Control Panel options.

Go back to the forum (eg GBS) and click the red X on the thread.
Forum or LR control panel and what option am I specifically looking for, because I've been looking through both?

The only time I've seen the "red x" is since this latest forum update that broke SALR again. Before that, I just had the thread titles highlighted (with an arrow when there were new posts).

EDIT: Turned colors back on through the forums. So what exactly does this extension do then?

dexter6 fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 12, 2007

duz
Jul 11, 2005

dexter6 posted:

Forum or LR control panel and what option am I specifically looking for, because I've been looking through both?

The only time I've seen the "red x" is since this latest forum update that broke SALR again. Before that, I just had the thread titles highlighted (with an arrow when there were new posts).

EDIT: Turned colors back on through the forums. So what exactly does this extension do then?

If only this thread had a first post with information or something.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

duz posted:

If only this thread had a first post with information or something.
Sorry, should've made my post more clear.

Initially, I installed SALR before the forums were nifty and kept track of threads. I know about all of the other features, but I'm trying to figure out if the extension actually handles "last read" better than the forums or if it provides any different functionality.

The first post seemed to glance over that issue (correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks.

Rin
Sep 30, 2005

Cops--the most annoying fleshy ones of all.

dexter6 posted:

Sorry, should've made my post more clear.

Initially, I installed SALR before the forums were nifty and kept track of threads. I know about all of the other features, but I'm trying to figure out if the extension actually handles "last read" better than the forums or if it provides any different functionality.

The first post seemed to glance over that issue (correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks.

This is what SALR does right now:

duz posted:

In a totally non-leading question, what are those additional features?

Glad you asked! It does many other things like converting linked images to inline images, ignoring threads (partially broken), converting YouTube links into embedded players (also partially broken), mouse gestures, drop down forum menu, and other stuff I've forgotten.
Here are some screen shots to show off what else it does:

Resizes obnoxious custom titles!

Adds scrollbars to wide titles/avatars, allows per user coloring of usernames and post backgrounds, add per user notes, adds a link to that specific post.

Sticks a quick jump paginator to the bottom corner of forums and long threads.

Allows adding gradients to the thread list as well as changing the `New Posts` icon and the background colors. Coloring not entirely working at the moment.

Instill fear and panic when the forums update and SALR stops working.

And my favorite feature, the quick quote window that, when clicking on the quick buttons (pictured below), allow you to quote several people, post a new thread, or edit your own post in a floating window to allow you to remain browsing the thread you're on.

More screenshots

Actual thread tracking is handled by the forums now.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Rin posted:

This is what SALR does right now:

Actual thread tracking is handled by the forums now.
Thanks for the long quote, but nothing you quoted was new to me. What you said after the quotes actually answered my question. Thanks for the help.

Rin
Sep 30, 2005

Cops--the most annoying fleshy ones of all.

dexter6 posted:

Thanks for the long quote, but nothing you quoted was new to me. What you said after the quotes actually answered my question. Thanks for the help.

I didn't mean to be insulting, I was just trying to be comprehensive.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I noticed that the SA tab in my Firefox window was listing the categories of subforums, but that those categories were empty and didn't actually list any forums, and all my pinned forums are gone from the SA tab. I uninstalled SALR, searched the forums for this thread, and re-downloaded the latest build from the OP. I installed it, restarted Firefox, and it didn't solve the problem. Any thoughts?

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Xenomrph posted:

I noticed that the SA tab in my Firefox window was listing the categories of subforums, but that those categories were empty and didn't actually list any forums, and all my pinned forums are gone from the SA tab. I uninstalled SALR, searched the forums for this thread, and re-downloaded the latest build from the OP. I installed it, restarted Firefox, and it didn't solve the problem. Any thoughts?

Load a thread list (go to one of the forums, not a thread) and it should automatically update the list.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

it still lacks the seamonkey install script ...

got an eta on that? i miss using salr

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Mach420 posted:

Load a thread list (go to one of the forums, not a thread) and it should automatically update the list.

Actually, going to a thread seems to update it for me. Those drop-downs are in the threads now too, it seems.

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!
Maybe for the next version you can highlight someone that quotes you or quotes someone on your buddylist? Perhaps a word highlighting? I love this highlighting feature so far, very handy! Keep up the great work!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Avd1Thng posted:

Maybe for the next version you can highlight someone that quotes you or quotes someone on your buddylist? Perhaps a word highlighting? I love this highlighting feature so far, very handy! Keep up the great work!

Highlighting someone that quotes you is partially implemented but not working. It's one of the things I want to try and get working soon.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
I figure this is as good a place as any to post it.

I created a greasemonkey script which adds in a link to the last unread post in the thread. I figure it's good for usage in fast moving threads like game day threads where by the time you get to the bottom of the page there have probably been more posts added.

Someone who uses the SALR gesture navigator might want to add something similar to that.

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name           NextUnread
// @namespace      SA
// @description    Goes to the next unread post in the thread.
// @include        [url]http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php*[/url]
// ==/UserScript==

var pageUrl = document.location.toString().replace(/(#.*)?$/,"&goto=newpost");
var divs = document.evaluate(
    "//div[@class='breadcrumbs']" +
	"/following-sibling::" +
	"div[starts-with(@class,'pages')]",
    document,
    null,
    XPathResult.UNORDERED_NODE_SNAPSHOT_TYPE,
    null);

for ( var i = 0; i < divs.snapshotLength ; i++ ) {
  var thisDiv = divs.snapshotItem(i);
  var nextUnread = document.createElement("b");
  nextUnread.innerHTML = '<a class="pagenumber" href="' + pageUrl +
                         '">Unread</a>';
  thisDiv.appendChild(nextUnread);
}
EDIT: Fixed to account for threads with only one page.

Jethro fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 16, 2007

duz
Jul 11, 2005

New Updates!.
Post any issues you have here, after making sure you're using the latest version.
No user controlled thread coloring yet, sorry. This is mainly a buttons & quick quote update.

Known Issues
See the second post

Changelog
Partially rewrote the icon replacement code to support the new format better. Still needs work.
Coloring of quotes started, not quite working.

Bug Fixes
Editing posts should no longer unsubscribe you from threads

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
edit:oh wait i guess this was addressed in the "known bugs" post

hooray for reading comprehension :downsowned:

Blue_Calx
Sep 20, 2001
Thanks for the update. But whenever i post in a forum and go back to the forum threads page, it goes back to the built in coloring/thread icons. It's forum specific too, strange.

Also, green thread highlight doesn't work :(

Somebody
Jan 25, 2001

Heh

Blue_Calx posted:

Thanks for the update. But whenever i post in a forum and go back to the forum threads page, it goes back to the built in coloring/thread icons. It's forum specific too, strange.

Also, green thread highlight doesn't work :(

It works for me on all the forums I've been to so far. I had to check no for "Highlight threads I've seen in a different color" and "Colorize threads according to the bookmark category I've assigned" in order for SALR to highlight threads I've seen a different color.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Ignoring threads is working in a roundabout way! First you have to unsee the thread with the forums X button. Then when you ignore it and reload the page the blue coloring will be gone, but the thread is still visible and isn't yet entered into the Ignored Threads list in SALR. Then if you ignore it again it's actually gone for good and shows up on the list in SALR. Removing threads from that list also makes them visible again, but viewing them manually by putting the url in the address bar or clicking a link to it from another thread does not (it used to back when ignore worked properly, though I like this better).

Doing the first ignore step on unseen threads which are still blue seems to get rid of that if it bothers you.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Swilo posted:

Ignoring threads is working in a roundabout way! First you have to unsee the thread with the forums X button. Then when you ignore it and reload the page the blue coloring will be gone, but the thread is still visible and isn't yet entered into the Ignored Threads list in SALR. Then if you ignore it again it's actually gone for good and shows up on the list in SALR. Removing threads from that list also makes them visible again, but viewing them manually by putting the url in the address bar or clicking a link to it from another thread does not (it used to back when ignore worked properly, though I like this better).

Doing the first ignore step on unseen threads which are still blue seems to get rid of that if it bothers you.

Am I reading your post wrong? The X is to remove last read information only, so it's only sensible that ignoring a thread is handled by a separate function.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
If you try to ignore a thread without first unseeing it, it simply doesn't work. I'm not a programmer so I really can't say why, but the X removes the information server-side and SALR parses that to highlight stuff, so the coloring is probably overriding the ignore function. This newest update either fixed most of the ignore function or undid something else that was messing it up.
edit: if it matters I have "Highlight threads I've seen in a different color" off in my UserCP

Ignoring also works on threads you haven't even read before, which is logical because unseeing it should be the same as never seeing it to begin with. They also stay ignored after new replies bump the thread, unlike what Chamberpothead had going with manually editing files.

Also by way of coincidence ignoring still works even if the thread gets gassed, and you can unignore it from there too :shobon:

Swilo fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 16, 2007

Chamberpothead
Nov 6, 2005

Swilo posted:

Ignoring also works on threads you haven't even read before, which is logical because unseeing it should be the same as never seeing it to begin with. They also stay ignored after new replies bump the thread, unlike what Chamberpothead had going with manually editing files.
My experience was that ignoring threads was possible if they were unvisited. Now that it's possible to change that, ignoring works without manually editing the database.

My only guess is that there is some messed up loop or createStatement in SALastReadCom.js (duh, that sure narrows it down, doesn't it).

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Well, to be clear, the post coloring is working somewhat. The only thing that seems broken is that marking a thread as unseen doesn't remove the coloring in the thread list (something that works if you're using the built-in forum coloring).

I was under the impression that SALR didn't track viewed threads at all anymore. :psyduck:

Screenshot for illustration...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Somebody
Jan 25, 2001

Heh
I still like the unseen threads coloring. I don't think the forums mark unseen threads, they're all just one color if I disable SALR. :(

Edit: Even if I uncheck/check "Highlight threads I've seen in a different color" in forum options.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 17, 2007

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I can't think of any situation where I'd want to mark a thread unseen and still have it colored on the thread display.

The only scenario that comes to mind would be if I started reading a large thread with a long OP and decide "nah, I'll read it later" -- but then I can just star/bookmark it instead.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
In high traffic forums I use it as a marker of threads I've already clicked on and didn't care to follow, rather than remembering all the titles.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

I assume this is a forums thing, but if a thread goes unupdated for so long, the coloring resets. That's a forum-side issue, right? It's mainly a problem with stickied threads.

EDIT: Weirdly, though, the internal thread coloring is still there. Odd.

ClydeUmney fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 18, 2007

Chamberpothead
Nov 6, 2005

ClydeUmney posted:

I assume this is a forums thing, but if a thread goes unupdated for so long, the coloring resets. That's a forum-side issue, right? It's mainly a problem with stickied threads.

EDIT: Weirdly, though, the internal thread coloring is still there. Odd.
It looks like it's the same test for 'freshness' that's purging threads from the ignore list. The uncolored, visited threads in my bookmarks list aren't showing up in salastread.sqlite either. The threads that get purged seem to be ones that don't show up in a forum thread list that you've seen recently.

Carnivean
Feb 14, 2004

by Peatpot
I've updated to the latest version, and gotten my SALR style buttons back, but in the control panel I've found a bug. They show for the threads that have unread posts, until there is a thread without unread posts. After that I get the forum style buttons for the rest of the threads.

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005
I do not have access to the archived threads. How do I remove a starred thread that has gone there?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Didn't there used to be a way to switch the 'goto newest unread post' and 'cancel read status' buttons? If not, could we get that? I'd like them to go the other way 'round.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Carnivean posted:

I've updated to the latest version, and gotten my SALR style buttons back, but in the control panel I've found a bug. They show for the threads that have unread posts, until there is a thread without unread posts. After that I get the forum style buttons for the rest of the threads.

Yeah, I was working on that and thought I had fixed it. Guess I'll have to dig deeper.

Aratoeldar posted:

I do not have access to the archived threads. How do I remove a starred thread that has gone there?

For now you'll have to manually edit the database. There's no interface at the moment.

RSPsych0 posted:

Didn't there used to be a way to switch the 'goto newest unread post' and 'cancel read status' buttons? If not, could we get that? I'd like them to go the other way 'round.

Please read the second post before posting, people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carnivean
Feb 14, 2004

by Peatpot

duz posted:

Yeah, I was working on that and thought I had fixed it. Guess I'll have to dig deeper.

Just to be clear on which version I have, it was the xpi posted in this thread. If you've got a later SVN on bountysource, you might have it licked.

• Locked thread