Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
erebus25
Jan 20, 2004

by Lowtax
Right not a bug, but as the latest version removes the code that has SALR doing the highlighting of the original Thread Poster if anyone isn't getting the user highlighted you need to switch it on in the SA control panel, "Highlight the username of the "original poster" in thread posts".

Let's just repeat that so that the next three pages aren't full of people asking the same thing.

IF YOU THE THREAD POSTER'S NAME ISN'T BEING HIGHLIGHTED GO TO THE "USER CONTROL PANEL" LINK AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE THEN "EDIT OPTIONS" AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE "Highlight the username of the "original poster" in thread posts" SET TO YES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

erebus25
Jan 20, 2004

by Lowtax

Juz posted:

The "Original Poster" highlighting doesn't seem to be working for me. I'm on the latest version, and have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the extension, but it's still not highlighting the original thread poster. The admin, mod and custom user highlights are all working fine.

I can't see anything on the bug list, so I guess most people can't be having this problem, am I doing something wrong?

:bang:

erebus25
Jan 20, 2004

by Lowtax
When I started this it seems like a useful feature, but now I'm not so sure, but anyway.

SALR User stalker feature.

Allows you to temporary track a persons posts.

Click the "U" under a persons avatar and have all their posts highlighted in this garish blue colour (I set the default to an even worse green, but the colour can be changed through the preferences).
Clicking that "U" again will switch off the highlighting.
Clicking someone elses "U" while someone else is highlighted switches the highlighting to that user.
Oh and the highlighting persists across pages/threads if left switched on.

I'll post a diff against the my current version on bountysource in a bit in case anyone wants to include this feature.

erebus25
Jan 20, 2004

by Lowtax

Carnivean posted:

Alternatively you could just use the already integrated "Add Coloring/Note" feature under each post.

Yeah I know there's a cross over of features, but this way is more temporary version and easier to switch on and off in a thread without having to reload the page.

erebus25
Jan 20, 2004

by Lowtax
Right after doing an :awesome: job of creating a new feature that already exists I thought I'd actually create a feature someone has actually asked for.

Move Read Threads to the Top
I've attached a patch to MyDogIsBeano's feature request here

Like I said in the comments, my first time creating a patch file so let me know if there any problems with it.

Obligatory screenshot;

erebus25
Jan 20, 2004

by Lowtax

duz posted:

Join the SALR community on BS so I can give you commit access.

Cool I just noticed a couple of bugs that I'd like to fix first, oh and once I've figured out what BS is.

Oh and seems that a side effect of sorting the thread list is that this also sorts the bookmarked thread list as well, which should please some people. I'll add an extra option so you can switch them on and off individually.

Demented Footstool posted:

I wouldn't mind seeing the code for this if you don't mind. The highlighting / background coloring of quotes is something that would be good for the highlight-posts-that-quote-you feature, and I'd like to see how you did it.

Sorry I've only just caught your post, I've added this feature as well;

But as you can see there are a couple of points I'd like advice on before I commit this code.
1) Any idea on a good default color? I'm guessing not everyone will like my choice of #00FF00.
2) Should the quote itself get changed to a darker version of that default color?
3) And I can't seem to find a good way to get a user's username out of SALR, so as a fix I grab the name from the "Custom user highlighting" stuff. Any one have a better idea?

If we stick with the "Custom user highlighting" way it will mean two things;
1) A person will have to add themselves with the "Add Coloring/Note" link
2) And then of course will get 3 pages of people complaining that the highlight of people that quote you doesn't work because they haven't done this.

Actually that brings up another bug, if someone doesn't add a comment to a user they've added to the custom colouring, then they don't show up in SALR configure panel. Probably should fix that while I'm here.

Comments? Questions? Insults?

erebus25
Jan 20, 2004

by Lowtax

Edit: Your post just made me realize my code was slightly broken in that it only checks the first quote in a post to see if you're quoted. I can either fix it or let you deal with it.

Well at the moment, the why I handle it is in handleShowThread, I have this
code:
  var userId = persistObject.userId;
  //Crappy way to get the username, but what else can you do?
  var username = persistObject.getUserName(userId);
  if (username!=null) {
    var userQuote = persistObject.selectSingleNode(doc, post, "tbody//tr/td/blockquote[contains(@class,'qb2')]/h4[./text() = '"+username+" posted:']");       
    if (userQuote!=null) {
      post.className += ' salrHighlightQuote';
    }
  }
I should probably clean that up so it doesn't have to ask for the username for every post, just do it once at the top.

And then this to insert the CSS
code:
  //insert dynamic CSS for highlighting quoted users
  var hqucss = 'table.salrHighlightQuote td { background-color: ';
  var prefname = 'highlightQuotePost';
  //Check to see if we are in FYAD, god help us all.
  var isFYAD = persistObject.inFYAD(persistObject.getForumID(doc));
  if (isFYAD) { prefname += 'FYAD'; }
  hqucss += persistObject.getPreference(prefname);
  hqucss += ' !important; }';
  SALR_insertDynamicCSS(hqucss, doc);
Should be simple enough to get it to colour the quote as well.

I'll check the code when I merge it, no point in over righting good code, oh and again any suggestions on colours whould be appreciated.

Now as for the problem of users without comments/note not appearing in the custom user highlighting thingy, can anyone explain why we currently have
code:
"SELECT `userid`,`username` FROM `userdata` WHERE `color` != 0 OR `background` != 0 OR (notes IS NOT NULL AND notes != '')"
Rather just than
code:
"SELECT `userid`,`username` FROM `userdata`"
There's probably a good reason but at the moment it means people can't tell when they've added people without giving them any colour/note information. Unless someone complains I'll replaced it with my shorter version otherwise I think it will just add to the confusion.

erebus25
Jan 20, 2004

by Lowtax

The easiest way is to let the user decide what color they want for their quoted backround and just use the same background value as their own posts (rather than adding yet another color picker box to the options.) Either that, or add a "user" of -1 and have the code pull from the color value of said imaginary user.

Hmm for reason I've got a mistrust of magic numbers in things like this, the only numbers we can assume won't be used for userid are 0 and -1, and for some reason a user with userid 0 is already in my custom user highlighting.

Besides I've already added the code to add a new colour picker for this, I thought it fit into the category rather than user highlighting and also it allows to have different colours depending on which forums (FYAD/BYOB/other).

This is unless people would prefer that just the name of the person that quoted you is highlighted rather than the whole post like I have at the moment?

Disgustipated posted:

BS is bountysource, if you haven't figured it out yet. https://salr.bountysource.com/

Ah yeah I've been looking around bountysource already, but for some reason my mind didn't connect BS=BountySource. I'm signed up as erebus25.

erebus25
Jan 20, 2004

by Lowtax
Sorry for the double post just checking something.

Scud/Duz, looks like Duz was right about the "Show signature once per thread" being broken because of the way the forum handling has changed. If someone else hasn't done this I've put a fix into the code I'm working on at the moment.

erebus25
Jan 20, 2004

by Lowtax
I've updated the SVN.
Just to note, I've set it so that posts that quote you are coloured by default as this seemed to fit the style of the other colouring options, and I've changed the default colour to two shade of purple, one for the post and dark one for the quoted text (even if it's not your quote). As I mentioned before, people will need to add themselves via "Add Coloring/Note". So possible this actually should default to off, either way I prefer to find a better way to get a username but can't think of a better way at the moment.
I added two options for sort threads in the thread listing and the control panel, these default to off and are under "Forum" in the SALR control panel.
And I've changed the code that gets the Customised User Colours so that it retrieves all users who aren't mods or admins, even if they don't have a colour/note associated. I think this is a reasonable compromise.
Fixed a couple of small bugs in the rest of the code that I found along the way as well.

erebus25
Jan 20, 2004

by Lowtax

kri kri posted:

I must be blind, but I put >> Starred Thread Menu << into my Pinned Forums, but it does not show up. Feel free to bash me if I am being an idiot. :3:

Changes to the menu won't appear until you restart Firefox, I assume you restarted Firefox? *begins looking for bashing stick* ;)

Having said that I think most applications give you a dialog box telling you that "These changes won't take effect until the application is restarted". Perhaps SALR needs this when changes are made to the SALR menu.

erebus25
Jan 20, 2004

by Lowtax

Xinopay posted:

Isn't something like this already a feature of the forums? If you click the litte question-mark beneath a user's avatar it'll show you that user's post in the current thread. It does however not show other users' posts at the same time like yours does.

m2pt5 posted:

Stabby McDamage's User Colorer Greasemonkey script already does that.

And SALR already does this as well, take a look at the "Add Coloring/Note" link under everyones post. As I said before I managed to reinvent a feature SALR already had.

erebus25
Jan 20, 2004

by Lowtax

m2pt5 posted:

SALR just does the name; Stabby's GM script does the entire left column block, which I think is easier to notice when scrolling by a bunch of posts you don't care to read.

If you change the background colour value in SALR it also highlights the entire post, like the monstrosity I created does.

erebus25
Jan 20, 2004

by Lowtax

m2pt5 posted:

What's the point of highlighting a single post anyway? I'd want to highlight all of a person's posts, not just one of them.
Have you tried this feature yet? This is exactly what it does, since you first posted about this I've had all your posts on the forums coloured blue, just by clicking that link the first time.

erebus25
Jan 20, 2004

by Lowtax

m2pt5 posted:

Edit: Changing background color, at least for the OP, doesn't seem to work in SALR. I'm using the latest nightly.

You're right, interesting what a missing ! can do to a bit of code. I've commited a fix for this to the SVN repo.

edit: just checking the post below.

erebus25 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 3, 2007

erebus25
Jan 20, 2004

by Lowtax
O.k. a little history lesson first.

Original the forums didn't have the bookmark feature, then SALR came along a gave people the new feature of being able to subscribe to threads! Then after a load of awesome work by various admin people on SA users can now bookmark threads, so SALR removed the ability to subscribe to threads because the forums do this via the bookmark feature.

Seems that this option is still left in the quote quote/edit feature and should be removed. The reason the thread gets unbookmarked is the quickquote/edit don't set the bookmark check box.

I'll look into fixing this shortly.

erebus25
Jan 20, 2004

by Lowtax

CygnusTM posted:

Thread subscriptions existed long before SALR. It was built into vB.

Ah seems the teacher got taught. Either way subscriptions seem have been replaced by bookmarks and SALR needs to be brought up to date with this.

erebus25
Jan 20, 2004

by Lowtax

||||||| posted:

This is to the devs: is the setting still there even though the option in the gui was removed?

I can't find it in about :config though.

The setting is
code:
extensions.salastread.enableThreadRating
I've still got the setting there, but the code that actually does the threadRating was removed in SVN version 85 so there isn't anything that fucks around with the thread rating in the current release.
BUT, as I mentioned before the quoted images are hidden by default and only made visible via a Javascript function, should any Javascript fail before this bit of Javascript executes (in the site or from SALR) the quoted images won't be made visible again. :(
Sorry to ask but, Yodzilla are you 100% sure that your home computer has the most up to date version of SALR installed? Are you seeing any Javascript errors while browsing SA at home?

erebus25
Jan 20, 2004

by Lowtax

Yodzilla posted:

No Javascript errors on my home computer, but that's where the images work. It's my work computer where the images are broken. I'll check first thing tomorrow morning and report back.

As for latest version, Firefox is telling my that SALR on my home computer is 1.99.070730. My work version should be the same as I downloaded the latest build and installed it today.

Sorry yes, check your work computer for Javascript errors, SALR version. And if you are still having problems do the standard uninstall/reinstall SALR and see if that clears up the problem. Oh and you aren't running Greasemonkey + SALR userscripts on your work computer as well are you? As I said any Javascript error could stop the quoted images from displaying so even if you're running a up to date SALR a rogue Greasemonkey script with errors could cause the same effect.

erebus25
Jan 20, 2004

by Lowtax

wang souffle posted:

Is OP username highlighting broken or did I break something? Other highlights like SALR developer still work.

I've been thinking of coding something into SALR that prevents people of posting in this thread without reading ALL the previous pages. All those that agree say AYE.

erebus25
Jan 20, 2004

by Lowtax
Assuming you just want the post text and not anything else to change you could drop this into your userContent.css

code:
@-moz-document url-prefix([url]http://forums.somethingawful.com[/url]) {
  #thread table td.postbody { font-family: "Comic Sans MS"; font-size: 20pt; color: purple }
}
Now you can have BYOB in every forum!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

erebus25
Jan 20, 2004

by Lowtax

metachronos posted:

What color do the boards use for highlighting the OP? I want my SALR to use the same color.

#0077AA

So yeah just a little lighter.

• Locked thread