Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.
I love SALR and I always recommend it to all my goon-friends :D
That being said, I had some serious performance problems in FF and it turns out that it was SALR that was causing this. I don't know why, but I'm guessing it has to do with remembering the last post I've read in a thread. The only problem is that this wasn't triggered when I was on the forums, but I could be on a completely different site and it would do that without any tab having the forums opened. Switching between tabs was slow, watching videos would make the video lag, scrolling down wouldn't do anything, etc. All in all a real nightmare. I checked my computer for viruses because of the performance issues, but since the CPU was only going to 100% when I used firefox, I was fairly certain that I did not have a virus. Anyways, once I disabled SALR everything worked flawlessly again. I still don't know why this happened though and I don't really wanna have to disable SALR since I use it so much.
Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

duz posted:

Yes. There's some old code in there that I'm sure is causing issues. I'm going to spend some time this weekend working on clearing that out and working on speeding it up in general.
Awesome! Really appreciate what you're doing! Thanks again.

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

The Remote Viewer posted:

I'm probably going to get flamed to death for this, but I don't care.

Maybe it's time to consider putting this old horse down. Most of the core functionality has been subsumed by the forum itself, and what's left breaks often and stays broken for days or weeks at a time. The days when something broke and a fix came out within hours appear to be over.

While I agree that most of the core functionality has been implemented in the forum, there's still very many reasons to use SALR. The advantage you get with SALR is bleeding edge functionality that you wouldn't get in the forums. Just think about how long it took until the -core- functionalities were implemented. Think about how long it would take to include any other functionality. And it's all these bleeding edge functionalities that are the reason why people should use SALR. Another good thing about SALR is that if you want something added, you can suggest it and the people may implement it on their spare time (thanks everyone who has contributed), just because you proposed it.
Personally, I have uninstalled SALR, but not because it's bad software, but because I only needed the core functionalities it provided (which have now been implemented in the forum now).

• Locked thread