Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I made a new thread for the first time in quite a while today, and noticed that the thread tags in the quick post window are squished horizontally to the point where they're almost squares. Also, I don't have

Not sure if this has been covered; I searched all the pages for "tag" and didn't find anything relevant.

Also:

rin posted:

Actual thread tracking is handled by the forums now.

But the forums' way of doing it doesn't seem to work consistently. Many times it'll take me to the first new post as it should, but it will also often leave me in the middle of a bunch of stuff I've already seen. Or put me in the middle of a bunch of posts I haven't seen.

In short, I liked the way SALR handled it better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

withak posted:

Turn on the option to re-anchor the page after loading images.

This has been on. Although, I've only had a currently-working version of SALR for a day or so; maybe I'm just mis-remembering when this happens. I'll check it out in more detail over the next few days.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

This has been on. Although, I've only had a currently-working version of SALR for a day or so; maybe I'm just mis-remembering when this happens. I'll check it out in more detail over the next few days.

It's working now. I hadn't changed the option in the forums config, just in the SALR config.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
After this last update, I no longer have the go to last-seen post and "un-watch" thread buttons; now I just have a # of posts unseen that acts as the button to go the first unseen post. More accurately, the old buttons show up while the page is loading, but disappear as soon as it's done.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Komrade Hitlerstalin posted:

This update set a lot of things differently or added new default options from what I had them set, so go through all the configuration stuff. It may just have gotten changed.

I don't see anything related to those buttons in the SALR options, and I set the forums options the way duz said to.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

RedKazan posted:

Forums tab, Icons group, make sure the last two boxes are checked if you want both of the custom icons.

Yup, they were already checked.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

RedKazan posted:

Is this a specific forum or all of them? Try unchecking "Don't display error popup messages" in the first options tab. If you're getting an error the script is probably bailing before it changes your icons.

Error quote ahead:
message: Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)

Also, and I'm not sure if this is a forums problem, an SALR one, or a combination, but when I click on the stars in my bookmarked threads page, they don't do anything. In addition, the starred threads menu doesn't contain anything for me.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

RedKazan posted:

Currently the Starred Menu in the SA Menu lists only threads that have been starred internally (like right click on/in a thread, SA Last Read Options, Star This Thread).

As for the error, I get that too occasionally, but I can't seem to pin it down anywhere and I can't replicate it consistently. Could you post a get a screen of the whole pop up so I can make sure that's the one I'm thinking of?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

RedKazan posted:

It should be noted, in case anyone is wondering, that the "Show threads with new posts first" option along with any other future thread sorting/filtering options work on a page by page basis, we can't make server requests to parse data on other pages to look for threads. This option only brings the threads with new posts on that page to the top, if those threads fall back to other pages, they'll be at the top of those pages. Also, stickies are kept at the top regardless of whether they have new posts or not (although stickies with new posts are shown above ones that don't).

I guess I'm confused as to what this option does - aren't threads with new posts already at the top of forum lists (and the bookmark list)?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm still getting this when the "Use this 'x' icon" box is checked:

If I uncheck that box, I get the normal forums [X][ >] buttons.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Any word on the thread buttons ([x] and [# >])?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

duz posted:

Can you give me a screen shot of the forums panel in the options?
Forums options:

And the forums options within SALR:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Odd. Wonder how those got changed. Or did the updates just not change those to the new defaults?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
The re-anchor at first new post doesn't work anymore. Just out of curiosity, how should that option in the forums control panel be set? Should they both be on, or only one?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Sorry I keep bugging you guys, but how do I remove the number of replies? Neither of the relevant boxes in the SALR config are checked, but my CP still looks like this:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

duz posted:

Check the `Show new replies count in the replies column` box (in SALR).

I've tried with every combination of those boxes possible, and it always looks the same. Unless I have to restart Firefox for those particular changes to take effect?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

duz posted:

Go to about :config and set extensions.salastread.disableNewReCount to false and hit refresh on the forums. If that still doesn't work, give me a screen shot of the forums tab on the SALR config.

It was already false. Here's the 'shot:

Edit: Also, I noticed that the option to remove edit buttons on others' posts isn't working either.

hooah fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Oct 2, 2007

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

snickers1127 posted:

Really? It's working fine for me.

Nope:

And still, the threadview button thing.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Hey duz or RedKazan, any word on the problems I'm having (edit buttons still showing, new replies showing on top of the go to last post button, threads not always going to the last read post)?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Thanks, guys. I was getting worried that I'd started to sound like a nagging douche.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Odd, I'm not having these menu problems. No idea what's going on differently.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What happened to the quick reply/quote/edit implementation? It's still checked in my configuration window, but I only see one button for each action, instead of the usual [Reply][>>].

Edit: And right after I did that, the reply button went to the SALR kind, but not the edit/quote buttons.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

pik_d posted:

Is Ubuntu supported? I just installed it, and it seems like two things so far aren't working. First is that it doesn't seem to be scaling images. It's set to scale to a max of 800 pixel for width, but I came across something that was 12xx pixels wide with the dotted lines around it, but it wouldn't scale down when clicked. The second thing is highlighting when people quote me. This works in XPpro, so I know I've got the correct settings in my SA Control Panel, and it looks right in the SALR configuration page.

If you don't officially support Ubuntu, I can still manage since everything else seems to be in working order. :)

Actually, SALR works noticeably better in Ubuntu for me (I just switched too) than in Windows. That is, the options that I choose actually all get implemented, like showing fullsized image links, putting the number of new replies in the replies column, highlighting myself, proper quote/edit buttons... It's really pretty great.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Crash posted:

What does 'Enable advanced thread filtering' in the Forums setting of the new SALR v1.99.071119 mean?

Yes, could we get a list of new stuff/fixes for this version?

Edit: Also, it seems that this last version doesn't play nicely with Firefox on Ubuntu/Gnome. When I'm on the forums, I often get delays when doing things like switching tabs or scrolling down a page. During these delays, the window will be greyed out and unresponsive. After a few seconds, it'll be back to color and doing whatever I told it to. When I disable SALR or navigate away from the forums, everything's fine.

hooah fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 19, 2007

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

gobblebox posted:

thanks, workin' more smoothly for me as of last update

Yes, especially on Ubuntu. However, I noticed that the total page number is gone on threads that have more than seven pages.

Edit: Nevermind, now they're showing up.

hooah fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 26, 2007

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
A few things still aren't working correctly for me in Windows:

Quick quote and edit buttons (quick reply and post work just fine). Error message:

New replies count in User CP or forums; it's showing up on top of the red X button.
Total number of pages for threads with more than 7 pages are missing. User CP error message:

Should I try re-installing the extension or something else?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Any ideas about the problems I'm having on Windows XP?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

RedKazan posted:

I'd try reinstalling if you haven't and deleting your salastread.sqlite, it may have been corrupted at some point. That's usually what causes those kinds of errors.

Reinstalling the extension or Firefox?

Edit: Deleting that file made everything work great. Thanks!

hooah fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Dec 4, 2007

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

the_ruiner posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on the css?

What's it do? You didn't really say, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't know what a blockquote is or what's wrong with it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Eh, it doesn't really fit the forums very well, in my opinion.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Factor Mystic posted:

I think this might have been brought up before but I can't remember. Anchoring the thread to the latest post doesn't seem to be working correctly. I also have salr set to load images from links, so I suspect what's happening is that it's attempting to anchor before those images have finished loading, then when they do finish, that messes up the anchor. Is it possible to detect when everything is done, and delay ONLY the page anchor feature until then?

I've noticed SALR's been having trouble with this in some threads, too. For example, in the XP Beautification thread, it's been anchoring to a specific post on the last page for a while. I can't remember if I'm supposed to have the similar feature in the User Settings of the forums themselves on or off though, so that might be something (it's currently off).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

kapinga posted:

I forget that the ads are important for revenue here. If I figure out something that looks decent without removing the ad, I'll suggest it.

If you're reading this and still interested PM/IM/e-mail me and I'll see if I can package it up. I don't want to clutter this thread up.

Your profile doesn't have any contact information.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

calandryll posted:

I've had a problem off and on and I don't know if it is from SALR or from Firefox 3 in general. Sometimes when I click on a link to a thread it doesn't load the page instead asking if I want to save or open the php file. I haven't seen this problem on two other computers making me think it is sometime to do with Firefox 3.

I haven't used FF3 yet, but I know FF2 will do something similar if you hold control while clicking.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For some reason, I can't submit via quick-reply. The button's grayed out. I think I remember reading about that earlier in the thread, but couldn't find if there was a fix or not.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For some reason the thread re-anchoring has stopped working correctly, I think just for threads with images. Should I have the "Adjust the page position to the top of the requested post after the page loads" option in the forums options set as yes or no?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

For some reason the thread re-anchoring has stopped working correctly, I think just for threads with images. Should I have the "Adjust the page position to the top of the requested post after the page loads" option in the forums options set as yes or no?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

killer ninjas posted:

Is anyone else having trouble with SALR no longer reanchoring to your last read post?

I've noticed it seems to be happening most frequently in GBS.

That's what I just re-quoted myself about, and Duz responded.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

bort posted:

I had to recreate my Firefox profile for quote/reply/thread tag images to work again. Oddly, it was only the fi.somethingawful.com images that would not load -- the forumimages ones would load fine (e.g. or the report butan)

finding your Firefox profile

I renamed my default.blah profile folder and moved it to another folder, then recreated default.blah.

If you use a lot of addons or have a complex bookmark structure, this will be a pain in the rear end. You have to reinstall addons and will lose your saved passwords and poo poo. But this will fix it v:geno:v

Sweet! I first tried backing up just my bookmarks, passwords, and extensions with MozBackup, but eventually had to break down to just my bookmarks, but this fixed it. I shouldn't have been lazy for so long.

Edit: But now I have to click on submit twice.
Edit2: Sometimes.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm back to having the grayed-out submit button on quick reply and quick quote windows, after only a few days on a new profile. Could it be one of my other extensions causing some problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

wormil posted:

Have you tried setting your exceptions per Svaha [quoted higher on this page].

Well, now sometimes it works great, other times I have to click the submit button a time or two before it becomes active. Oh well, at least I can use the quick reply window again!

• Locked thread