Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bread Is Awesome
Jul 26, 2007
Think of this:

3 regular episodes run back to back, offering some laughs, but not enough.

To start off, the movie opened with a very weak and tweaked opener of something out of an episode. Featuring Green Day right off the bat, they dub the theme song into a rock song and shove too much of the crowds cheering into the film, that your not even sure what your hearing. Although they do meet their untimely death, which is fine by me. The entirety of the opening sequence seemed, to me at least, sloppily done.

Begging for the movie to become better, I was able to enjoy a few laughs. Filled with attempts at being funny and advertising, (and yes, Fox did place advertising right in the movie in the form of a news ticker) there are moments where I could enjoy the movie.

For all those credit watchers out there; there is another scene at the end of the movie, and scenes during the credits as well including Maggie's first words.

My advice for seeing the movie and making it completely enjoyable is to smoke a pound of weed or chug a handle of captain before hand.

Perhaps Groening should have made this back in the good ol' days of The Simpsons.

Rating: 3/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SharpenedSpoon
Jul 10, 2003
Not a spork
Just got back from the midnight showing, and loved it. I've hated the last 10 seasons and definitely went into the showing expecting to hate it as much as recent episodes, but it had me laughing the entire time. Broke some 4th wall barriers very well, too.

It's hard to review it very well without giving away the jokes, but if you want the spoilers of the ones that stand out: Otto hitting a bong, Bart drunk, Bart's penis handled well, actual plotline, spider pig

The biggest complaint I've had with the series is that they make a joke and draw out the punchline begging for a laugh for what seems like a full minute- the movie gets rid of that, and goes back to season 5/6 style of quick, rapid succession jokes.

5/5
If you have ever liked Simpsons, you will like this.

technic
May 7, 2007
I just got back from the midnight showing and thought the movie was pretty well done. I haven't watched the TV series in a few years because of its steady decline but I was pretty excited going into the movie.

The beginning was, for lack of a better word, awesome. Quick, back-to-back jokes kept you laughing for atleast the first 10 minutes straight. The middle did get pretty slow as they tried to flesh the plot out a bit but the ending was pretty well done.

Spoilers:Homer clears Springfield Gorge on a motorcycle, Marge says "goddamn"

5/5

squirrellypoo
Feb 8, 2003
I caught a UK preview on Wednesday night and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The gags were just as quick as in the average episode, but at times you could tell they also had the space to take the joke a bit further. A few spots felt rehashed from earlier episodes (The Simpsons are going to... Alaska!, the polluted lake, Mr Burns controlling the power, the peyote trip, etc) but those are my only real niggles with the film, and it wasn't enough to dampen my enjoyment of the film at all. There was enough fresh content and fresh jokes to overshadow the few recycled portions.

We've all seen films based on tv shows that really disappoint, but I was pleasantly surprised with this one. If you enjoy The Simpsons on television, you're probably going to enjoy this film, too.

4/5

Bombajio
Jan 23, 2006

Hasta la vista, meatbag!
Saw it last night. It was the 10.30pm showing, so no small kids at all! :dance:

I loved it. There was one gag that left me a bit unsure. It was when Homer got stuck in the sinkhole and we saw him flipping everyone off. Seemed so un-Simpsonsish and edgy :( But it did still make me laugh hard, so it wasn't all bad.

I loved the rest, though. The movie-theater was constantly laughing and people had quite a few places where they applauded.

Marge leaving homer almost got me in tears. That scene was really well pulled off and it was sad to watch :(
Bart skating through the town was another excellent scene which was pulled off perfectly.

And the ending was beautiful.

Overall it was very, very funny and I enjoyed it a lot.

4,5/5

PS. Why didn't they dig under the huge glass-dome?

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Really, really funny opening scenes, but the laughs really peak in the first 30 minutes and begin to drop off from there. A lot of great call backs to classic Simpsons episodes, the story itself wasn't all that interesting but the jokes were there, and thankfully not overly long. See it on digital if you can, the animation looks really great cleaned up from film grain.

4/5

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
If you ever laughed at anything during the TV show, you'll find something to laugh at in this.

5/5

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

As most people on this forum are, I'm an elitist in The Simpsons - I essentially haven't watched it in about 5 years, and give a pish-posh to anything post-season 8, however I can happily say that the movie satisfied me, and is definitely worth seeing.

4.5/5

if it breeds it leads
Jan 3, 2001
Forum Veteran

if it breeds it leads fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Aug 31, 2014

Boyz Scout
Nov 3, 2006

No more pigeon rubbing? Life in the vault is about to change...
I didn't like it. A few cheap laughs, but it had to much political/ religious poo poo in it. Some was funny, but it got a little tired after "ha ha look at the government" for the 5th time.

There were some funny parts to it. If you laughed at the jokes on the show, you'll laugh at this at some point. One thing I noticed, though, is the fact that there was a lot of cut away Family Guy style stuff in the film, which is okay, but you know.

Over all it was all right. It wasn't the worst I've ever seen but not the best.

3/5

ogm
May 20, 2001

This movie was horrible. I don't understand what everyone above me is talking about at all. Did we even watch the same movie? All the jokes were either:

a) Horribly unfunny
b) Extremely obvious and therefore unfunny
c) Old and already done elsewhere or even on an earlier Simpsons episode

Seriously. I can't remember when I last saw a movie this unfunny, ever. It's not even hyperbole, it was just that horribly bad. The episode "22 Short Stories About Springfield", that is what a Simpsons movie should be. Instead we got a terrible plot about the destruction of Springfield that only seemed to be an excuse to show Homer falling over again and again and again and again... goddamnit. How is that ever funny?

gently caress all the people responsible for this movie.

1/5 only because I don't know how to vote lower than that.

ogm fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 28, 2007

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

I loved it! It was full of all kinds of great jokes, and was a truly great way to bring the Simpsons back to life. Most of the jokes were fairly blunt with a good lead-up, and they didn't recycle a single joke (from the movie) throughout the entire film. It was full of action and progressed fairly quickly. This will be my first (and only) Blu-Ray movie purchase when I decide to buy my PS3.

Pros: Almost everything was perfect about this movie. Great jokes, great animation, great progression, great story.
Cons: Jebus reference early on; now I have to put up with idiots saying it all over again.

5/5

gay skull fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 28, 2007

simble
May 11, 2004

Watched this afternoon. Absolutely awesome. I told my friend that this makes up for 10 years of horrible. There were some slow parts, but I was laughing at almost everything. I laughed especially hard when Homer cracks the bible and exclaims that "This book has no answers!"

5/5

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Wrote this for print, so it's a little long:

As a film critic, it’s hard to separate myself personally from The Simpsons; I grew up with the show and watched it from its first season to its current eighteenth. So, in a way, watching The Simpsons finally make it to the big screen is like watching a beloved child graduate from high school.

But in this case, The Simpsons Movie is being held back in summer school and has no future.

Or, perhaps a more appropriate analogy would be: if The Simpsons is my Star Wars, then The Simpsons Movie is Episode One: The Phantom Menace. In other words, I can always go back and watch the old ones.

The movie is just like a 90-minute long episode of the TV show, except bigger, bolder, and louder. What begins as a normal episode in the lives of The Simpsons soon turns into an epic tale in which Homer inadvertently causes what promises to be the ultimate destruction of Springfield. Forced to wear the hat of an action hero, the overweight everyman journeys to save his family and his town. It’s part sitcom, part road trip, and part action movie – and altogether unfunny.

This movie is not for the Simpsons fan. Those looking for a last gleam of life in the eyes of this zombielike franchise should look elsewhere. The greater your degree of Simpsons fanaticism, the more you will hate The Simpsons Movie. It’s the culmination of all the recent seasons’ flaws that we Comic Book Guys like to point out: lazy writing, pandering, and a supreme feeling of “Eh, it’s good enough.”

And to makes things worse, The Simpsons Movie takes these flaws and adds a whole lot of dumb humor. Homer getting hurt can be funny, but not when it happens every 30 seconds over the course of an hour and a half.

Put yourself in the shoes of a Simpsons writer. You’re in control of one of the world’s cultural touchstones, full of characters and events loved by millions. How could you lose? All you need to do is play it safe, rotate in some of Springfield’s many citizens to give their stock reactions, and call it a day. And if anyone criticizes you, just play the “legacy card.” Throughout The Simpsons Movie, there’s a sense that the writers thought their jokes were so funny that they never considered that the audience might not agree.

But, as I said before, this movie is not for me. And if you’re a Simpsons fan, it’s not for you, either. Sure, there are a few old references thrown in for people who keep their noses buried in Simpsons episode guides and TV newsgroups, but they were nothing but safeguards so people like me wouldn’t give up on the film, and just go home.

In the end, there’s just one thing to say about The Simpsons Movie: Boo-Urns.

And if you understand what that means, then God bless you.

1/5

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004
I went into this movie hoping it would be good, and was very pleasantly suprised. I really think a lot of the naysayers went into it cynical and bitter, prepared to lecture everyone about The Simpsons' glory days, and not really willing to enjoy it.

MystOpportunity fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 28, 2007

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
I enjoyed it. It's no "South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut" (a film I sincerely believe it to be the best TV Show movie in existence), but I went expecting some cheap laughs and that's what I got.

The jokes, while rarely all that clever, do you the courtesy of not hitting you over the head with the punchline each and every time, not being one ridiculous non-sequitur after another, and never once going for that drawn out "funny -> not funny anymore -> funny again" type of joke that's gotten so popular lately. In other words, the jokes are funny. Not intellectual, not stupid, not random, not awkward, funny. And so, if you go into the theater expecting to laugh, you're going to laugh.

In fact, I'm going to take that last sentence and turn it into the very concept of this review: What you honestly, sincerely expect going into this movie is what you're going to find. If you go to this movie going over in your mind how awful The Simpsons have become and how this movie can't possibly redeem the series, then that's exactly what you're going to see; jokes that aren't intellectual/stupid/random/awkward enough for your sense of humor and therefore "horribly unfunny". If you go into this movie hoping for a return to grace for the Simpsons, as long as you're not harbouring any secret pessimism that it will be the exact opposite, you'll probably find what you feel has been lacking in recent years.

But enough philosophizing. The movie itself is solid, with good pacing, good dialogue, and good use of the main characters. Each of The Simpsons get their moments in the sun (though, as should be expected, Homer and Bart get more than the others) and you can expect at least a cameo appearance of every sub character in the series. That having been said, most of them don't get more than two seconds of screentime, much less a line of their own. But that doesn't really matter, because the movie is about the family, and so that's where the focus is.

The animation is NOT exactly like an average episode. There is much more fluidity in all of the characters' motions, to the point where it's almost distracting, but wholly enjoyable. The sound is...well, it's there. The score is typical Hans Zimmer, not too noticeable unless it's trying to be.

As mentioned, there's a few edgy bits (Homer flipping two birds as he jumps in the sinkhole, Bart's penis and inebration) that might rub some fans the wrong way if you're the type with delicate sensibilities about what Simpsons humor must and must not be. Personally, I thought they were funny.

In closing, if you want to see this movie, then see it. If you don't want to see it, then do yourself a favour and don't, because you'll find a reason to hate it and will have wasted the price of admission just to find some stupid thing to complain about.

4/5

Also, if anyone's wondering about major changes to the plotline, let it be known that Dr. Nick dies.

Frink
Jun 17, 2005

As an avid fan of The Simpsons I really enjoyed this movie, but mostly because of all the references to earlier episodes. I was the only one in the theater laughing out loud at the crashed ambulance in the background after Homer and Bart jumps the Springfield Gorge. It was also a delight hearing the voice of Hank Scorpio again, since I think he's one of the very best one-timers in the show.

Although it wasn't close to the golden quality we got out of seasons around 6-9, it's still much better than just about everything made after that. It comes as no surprise that this is like one long episode, but more edgy. It's not hard to see that the writers were given more freedom on the big screen than in the series, and they haven't hesitated in using this. I have to agree with other people that although I liked things like Otto with a bong and Bart's penis (I actually didn't see that last one coming), I found Homer's double-flip, Marge saying "god drat" and Bart being drunk (though funny) to be just out of character.

The bottom line is that it's a movie of a TV-show that I love, so I would have found it in my heart to forgive a bad movie on that basis. ANYWHO, it's not a bad movie. I went into the theater looking forward to seeing The Simpsons on the big screen, and got what I wanted...

4/5

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
In a lot of ways, being a Simpson's fan is like Santa Claus. At first it's the greatest thing ever. Then the magic starts to wear off and you start to view Santa cynically and make fun of the kids who still believe in Santa Claus (I often find it funny that many of the seasons that people site as their favorites were the same seasons I hated at their age, and that people's favorite seasons is almost directly related with their age). But eventually as you get older, while you can never feel that same magic you had as a kid, you can at least still enjoy the idea and look at wonder at the people who are experiencing it like it was new.

I definitely found parts of this film entertaining. I really enjoyed that they showed there were still a few new things to do with the Simpson's. Yes, most of those new things were probably only new because they were finally in a medium where they could do stuff without television censors, but all the same, even those slight twists were refreshing. The G rated jokes certainly weren't shocking or amazing, but I thought very little fell completely flat. The plot definitely had some elements that have appeared in previous seasons, although then again they were already repeating many of these same plot points elements by season 3 (I thought that this was the best incarnation of this particular Flander's subplot that they've tried many times without quite hitting it like here). The animation was all right, of course they've been producing this movie so long that the animation from current episodes seems a generation ahead-but it certainly wasn't bad. I liked that they kept the uberfan pandering very brief, even though I probably would've gotten the inside jokes.

With so little negative to say about the movie, it's hard to really put my finger on why I didn't love it. Ultimately, the time when I could love the Simpson's has passed-and the movie just was probably ten years too late. But I was an elitest Simpson hating fan at that point, so I probably wouldn't have seen it then anyway.

3.5/5, but voting 3 since we can only vote for whole numbers right now.

Anyway I think anyone who has ever been a fan of the Simpson's should check this out just so you know.

Rick fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jul 28, 2007

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
I enjoyed the movie for the most part. A lot of the problems that the more recent seasons of The Simpsons have had involve comedic timing - jokes are thrown out too fast, or reactions are cut away too quickly. The movie packed in a lot of gags, but I felt the timing flowed a lot better. Basically anything Chief Wiggum said or did had me rolling, particularly Fat Tony trying to dump a body in the lake

But if the jokes flowed well, the animation certainly did not. There were parts that were just...bad. Pupils drawn on eyes to point in opposite directions, characters looking half-finished in scenes that weren't that busy to begin with, and the scene in the beginning with Lisa going door-to-door for her cause was choppy as hell (and when Milhouse appears in his doorway, the perspective is pretty crazy).

Pros: Some really good gags, Albert Brooks in a role that might as well have been Hank Scorpio turned government contractor

Cons: Some of the production values looked like they were pulled out in the last minute. "Eighteen years in the making" should have left more time for polish.

3/5

Kinison Khan
Apr 14, 2006

From a hooker's heart I stab at thee...
5!!!

This movie is WELL worth the full adult admission price. Funniest loving movie ive seen in a long time. Everything about this movie will have you laughing your rear end off. Your face will be sore after 90 minutes of belly laughs. Soo many jokes, so little time, you'll have to watch it at least 3 times.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Rated 5/5. To me, this takes the humor level of a prime episode of the show and maintains it throughout. I didn't expect much, and I thought this was hilarious and great.

The only part that bothered me a little bit was the business between Bart and Flanders, there was a bit too much of it and it was a little over done, if such a thing is possible in a movie like this.

Recursive
Jul 15, 2006

... but then again, who does?
I might have thought that this was a better movie if the people directly behind me didn't EXPLAIN EVERY loving JOKE to each other during the whole 87 minutes.

It reminded me of sitting with a group of idiots in the dark watching 3 episodes in a row, one really good episode, a mediocre one, and a yawner. The feeling of "Throw enough poo poo at the wall and see what sticks" was so prevalent that I though I actually smelled it. But if you throw literally 2000 pieces of poo poo at the wall, 75 or 100 are bound to stick, and those almost carry the movie.

The opening was pretty good, the breaking of the animated fourth wall was hilarious. At least the idiots behind me agreed. To be honest, there were several kids in the crowd, (Sunday at 4) but they loved it and were quiet as hell, except when laughing.

Apparently they spent the budget assuring that every single "non-dead" Simpsons character showed up. I almost went into shock during the flaming torch scene trying to process where I'd seen every character. I say non-dead because between the people I've talked to, we didn't see Bleeding Gums Murphy anywhere in it.

Rating - Movie 4/5, Crowd 0/5

Recursive fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 30, 2007

GRINK HELCH
Oct 24, 2004
My God, it's taking over america!
I really like some of the stuff they did with the characters. Adding dimension to the characters was nice, Marge and Bart really shined in my opinion, while Homer and Lisa were still one notes unfortunatly.

The laughs were few and far between and at some point during the middle I really got wrapped with the story and thought maybe that The Simpsons would make a better drama then a comedy. The characters desperatly need to move forward in some way, it's a shame to see the same plot lines and an over extended episode.

Even my father thought this was pretty flat and he is easily amused. Some how 90 minutes dragged. After 18 years it is a shame to see that nothing has happenned with the characters. There is so much to The Simpsons universe, instead the characters have all become stock characters and no one has really moved forward. Overall, the whole thing is unfortunate.

Pros: I really enjoyed Marge and Bart. Marge especially, her character was well developed and she really showed a dimension that she is normally lacking in the show. Bart was much more caring, reminscent of earlier episodes.

Cons: Everything else. Jokes are one note. Lisa is extremly under developed which is a shame. Homer falls, we get it.

Overall: Completly watchable, but I can't say much else.

2/5

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005
Being a major Simpsons fan, I was not very pleased with the movie. The most exciting part for me was the introduction, but after that it just went down hill. The beginning scene featured Homer and Bart on the Simpsons roof putting shingles and using jokes already from "Dont fear the Roofer", season 16, episode 16. The movie then continued with the infamous "Bart naked" scene, a scene obviously put in there to create hype for the movie. From then on, the movie is playing off of "selfish, clueless homer." and Marge and Homer exchanging conversations from previous episodes. [spolier] Having Bart associate himself with the Flanders seemed to me to be completely out of character for him.[/spoiler] The dome idea seemed to be way too far fetched, even for Simpsons, and dare I say, would even be too far fetched for Family Guy. How Homer and his family escaped the dome was extremely predictable and even more so on how Homer would save the family. The only scene I truly enjoyed after Homer dumped the silo into the lake was when Home and Bart jumped Springfield Gorge.

In my opinion, they should have had much more satire in the movie and built upon the side characters personalities instead of focusing just on Homer. With the reasons above and the more colorful and animated frames compared to the television show adding to why it did NOT seem like The Simpsons.....2/5

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I got in for free being assured the Dark Knight trailer would be played beforehand. It was not.

Still, it was funnier than I expected, but not by very much. Some really good jokes, and a lot of bad ones.

2/5

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Going with the "meh" crowd. Longtime fan who actually enjoys the last few seasons. Still not as funny as the season 5-10 range, but I enjoy the new episodes. The movie was very hit and miss and seemed to be all over the place.

The whole government crap was useless and distracting. Where was Principal Skinner? Where was Willy? Where was Ralph? Where was Frink? Where was Apu? One line each if even on screen at all. And in their place we get a newly introduced government character who wastes valuable screen time with a horrible plot device. I didn't even take it personal like the guy above. I get tired of all the anti-government BS you hear all the time, but it wasn't even that. It was just stupid and there because the writers couldn't come up with a decent plot for 90 minutes that actually revolved around the characters already in the show.

Lisa gets a love interest randomly and he has no point in the movie at all. Bart becomes somewhat of a part of the Flanders family and that actually has some interest, but it's like subplot #3 and doesn't get the attention it needs to even be worthwhile. Homer and Marge have their usual marital issues they've had since the show started but it again seems just thrown in there to help move the plot along.

I'd give it a 3 just because there are some funny parts, but honestly it could be condensed into a very funny 30min episode and be much better.

3/5

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I really liked it, well, I liked it a lot more than I expected. There were a few missed jokes but the ones that hit had me rolling and the videotape scene was surprisingly touching.

Overall, it was a fun movie. If you like the Simpsons but don't take them super seriously, you won't be disappointed, and it's a pretty good comedy regardless. And that was all I was really hoping for.

4/5 for edging out my expectations.

Dave Thorpe Painting
Aug 9, 2004
Dictator of The World - 2033
Long time Simpsons fan. I went into this movie hoping it would be awesome...and it was.

It really reminded me of an older episode, something maybe mid season 8. Homer is stupid, but not as stupid as he has become on the television show.

Overall I loved it and despite once or twice I rolled my eyes, the jokes were great.

5/5

J-Pak
Jan 26, 2004

I'm from the phone company...
I thought it was an above average experience, but something that will soon be forgotten. Lots of great jokes but it felt a bit rushed towards the end.

3/5

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005
I loved it. I thought that the theatre audience added to my enjoyment, because when the "TO BE CONTINUED" thing flashed on screen, everyone threw a fit and were all "WHAAAAAAAAT?" and "THAT'S NOT THE END IT CAN'T BE". Everyone laughed when they realized that they had been had

Lisa's love interest did feel rather tacked-on and dumb but I felt that overall, I had a good time and it was well worth my 6 dollars. It could've been better but I can't find a whole lot to nitpick

4/5

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
If you have ever enjoyed an episode of the Simpsons, you will most likely enjoy the film, as it is basically an hour and a half long version of an episode. Lots of good gags, very entertaining and a good time at the theatre. Not being a very avid watcher of the show, I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

4/5

Onken
Feb 12, 2003

ouch my knee
I'm a massive Simpsons fan and I was privately bracing myself for something of season 15 quality but was pleasantly surprised. There were a few nigglies, but on the whole I loved it. Some points that stuck with me:

- loved the chainsaw/arms/eyes scene
- spiderpig was great, but he just disappeared and never came back
- Lisa's love interest seemed a bit pointless
- great Bart penis
- the whole roof/hammer/electric fish/falling through roof/Bart laughing routine seemed really forced
- was waiting for a funny part that never came during the Alaska scene
- no-one seemed to think of tunnelling under the dome

But in general, a really funny movie. 3.5/5

Onken fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Sep 13, 2007

Cheez-It
Oct 24, 2003

by Tiny Fistpump
Not nearly as bad as the episodes these days, but the jokes were still very forgetable.

2/5

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
It's about like watching three high-quality-animated and good episodes of the simpsons back to back. Which depending on what you go to the movies for is either a good or bad thing - if you're sick of the humor style of the show basically lapping itself, then you probably won't like this at all. (As evidenced by the people in this thread who have a more objective eye about movies than I do and had well-explained reasons for voting it a 1.) Chances are you'll be entertained no matter what though.

My only problem is this is pretty much exactly what I would've expected out of a simpsons movie, although with enough little surprises to keep things somewhat ahead of my expectations.

4/5

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 2, 2007

Cynagen
Aug 3, 2007
I love a lot of things, just not you.
I saw this movie a couple nights ago, I gotta say, it's what I was expecting: A longer Simpsons episode. However what I was not expecting were the cheap laughs provided by the movie. Too many scenes just went "below the belt" in my opinion... including Mike Tyson (who for some reason was in Springfield again) trying to take below the belt punches at the dome. That one was good for a snicker, nothing more. However, two of the funniest scenes in the first half of the movie I would have to say were Bart's writing on the chalkboard, "I WILL NOT ILLEGALLY DOWNLOAD THIS MOVIE" and the infamous Spider-Pig. Some, -no, scratch that, ALL of Homer's antics were oddly unfunny, most scenes based around his stupid antics were as most here already claimed, forced. They felt more like they were being done for the benefit of the audience to assure them this was indeed The Simpsons Movie. There were plotlines that weren't needed and just felt like pathetic filler, for instance Lisa's new love. There were a heaping helping of "duh" type jokes in this movie, Otto smoking a bong, Comic book guy saying he didn't regret his wasted life (why would he regret it? he did what he loved all his life,), there were also quite a few out of character shockers; Marge cussing, Homer flipping the bird, Bart's penis being exposed, though to be honest, South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut took their movie debut the same way: Milked every bit of uncensored minute they could when appropriate, can't blame Simpsons for doing the same.

Either way, lame jokes, crappy cameos, lame ad banner at the bottom of the movie all aside; It's still the Simpsons, worth the $5.25 matinee ticket, just steer clear once the night pricing hits $7, unless you're a die hard fan of course. 4/5

My crap:
/dev Clan CS:S Server: homepc.cynagen.com:27015
Bittorrent Tracker: tracker.cynagen.com:85

mynie
Sep 16, 2002

by HELLTANK
The show hasn't been great for about 8 or 9 years. It hasn't even been watchable for 3-4 years. Which is why I was so surprised at how well-made and laugh out loud funny the movie was. Nothing you absolutely must see, and not as good as the show in its heyday, but still well worh your time and probably the best thing done under the Simpsons name since the late 90s.

4/5

RoboKobf
Aug 4, 2002
??
Just saw it today, and I thought it was great! I totally didn't find it bad or lame, or think that it was just a 90 minute episode. Especially when compared to most other TV-to-theater films. Admittedly I have only seen a few Simpsons episodes in the past several years but I think this movie was made for viewers like me and I'm glad about that, as I was not bitter about how it turned out and really enjoyed seeing The Simpsons come back and appealing to modern times. I was glad to see the characters (though I agree now they could have given better balanced attention to more of them, but whatever) being tested by the apocalyptic situation; I liked how Homer and Bart and Marge were part of a sort of more serious drama than you'd expect on the show. I didn't think the plot was THAT bad for crying out loud, I had no problem with it somewhat dealing with the modern tension about the government, corporations, environment, whatever, since it is a satire and I was expecting it. I liked how the dome was a blatant symbol for government control and disregard for people's rights. I liked the sequence of Homer's spiritual heroic journey, though it was basic I thought it was cool. I also really appreciated the video tape scene, when Marge's message started it felt like genuine a breakup speech. I like that the writers showed appreciation of their characters by putting them in the drama.

I really liked how it was made cinematic, with the background sound effects giving the scenes more ambience than in the show. Maybe I'm weird but I had no problem with Homer giving the town the fingers, I thought the buffoonery of him flicking them off then getting stuck was totally in character, and something the writers were waiting to be able to do. What I did NOT get was Bart's penis. What the gently caress? That weirded me out for a minute. Did they put that in there to subvert norms of some sort? I thought it was a tad much. Also, no one thinking to tunnel under the dome was an obvious plot hole, they could have covered it with some lame excuse, but whatever.

Anyway so I really enjoyed it, laughed my rear end off and if you miss the Simpsons go see it.

5/5

RoboKobf fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 5, 2007

Soul Power
Sep 12, 2003

lol marmaduke is listening to snoop dogg
I watched The Simpsons when I was growing up and I loved the show. As I got older, I watched reruns a number of times and always found new jokes and parodies that I had never understood before. The show use to be so deep, satirical, and subtle. Unfortunately, the movie, similar to the few recent episodes I have seen, has very little of what made the Simpsons so great in the past. There are a few parodies and odes to the past, but most of the movie seemed fairly low-brow with either blunt or slapstick jokes. If you find humor in Homer's zany antics then you'll probably find this movie to be funny. If you don't, then you'll probably be entertained since the movie has a quick pace, but you'll leave with nothing memorable.

2.5/5

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh
I really can't understand how so many people who dislike the recent TV episodes are apparently finding this movie so enjoyable. Granted, I haven't watched the show in the past couple years, but it must've gotten a million times worse if this is a step up. The biggest things that bothered me about the show when I stopped watching are still problems in the movie: there's very little subtlety in the humor, and Homer is ridiculously over-the-top moronic & selfish. I think the "the characters have all become stock characters" remark from Scrabble Cheat Codes' post hits the nail on the head - they're all just exaggerated caricatures of the personalities they used to have.

"Over-the-top" is the way to describe the main plotline, too. That in itself isn't bad, as the Simpsons has successfully pulled off plenty of ridiculous plotlines before (the "Who Shot Mr. Burns?" episodes come to mind)... But it shares the characters' problem of lacking any subtlety. I think it's particularly silly that some of you are calling it satire, because the "satire" pretty much just amounts to "the government sure is lollerz, right everybody?"

Of course, it did have some funny parts (I particularly liked the Springfield Gorge throwback), but they were far and few between. Sadly, even Spider-Pig was horribly unfunny to me, because the radio ads I hear constantly at work had already beaten it to death.

Also, this is just personal taste with absolutely no reasoning behind it, but I thought the souped-up animation style was pointless and distracting.

Maybe I'll give it another chance, because I really wanted to like it, especially after hearing so many people praise it. But as it stands...

2/5.

Mr. Fictitious fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 5, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
The movie has its problems, but it was much better than what I expected (crap), and would be one of the best recent episodes if broken into a three-parter. The characters were back to their old selves, the emotional sequences were genuine, and most of the jokes were great.

The big problems include, as mentioned, little use of the people of Springfield, average-looking animation and bad CGI (This would have been a great opportunity to use professional American animators instead of outsourcing again), and an unsatisfying resolution to the Bart-Flanders subplot. Homer really needed to do something more significant than "I'll let you hold the bomb" for Bart to overlook the poo poo he's done.

RoboKobf posted:

[/spoiler] What I did NOT get was Bart's penis. What the gently caress? That weirded me out for a minute. Did they put that in there to subvert norms of some sort? I thought it was a tad much.

Because after stuff like Austin Powers, people didn't expect to actually see it? It's not a pedophile thing, just a twist.

a horse of course posted:

I loved it. I thought that the theatre audience added to my enjoyment, because when the "TO BE CONTINUED" thing flashed on screen, everyone threw a fit and were all "WHAAAAAAAAT?" and "THAT'S NOT THE END IT CAN'T BE". Everyone laughed when they realized that they had been had.

Wait, people actually believed that?

4/5

Behonkiss fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 5, 2007