Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

I wasn't quite sure if I wanted to put this in GBS or not, but I figured Ask/Tell would work out a bit better for the introduction of the topic.

I mentioned in my blog that I like to eat soda can tabs and soda bottle rings. This freaked people out to a large degree, which I can understand, it is rather unusual...so, I've set out to see what a much larger part of the internet thinks of it.

Now, I know there is a disorder out there known as Pica. I am not going to say that I have this, as...well, I'm undiagnosed, so I can't say one way or the other. (Unlike many people, I'm not fond of the whole self-diagnosis thing.)

Just so we are all on the same page, I give pictures!

Can tab:

Bottle ring:

I'm not exactly sure where this is going to go, so, if you feel you want to ask me questions about it, call me Goat-Boy, whatever, go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

erotetica
Aug 22, 2006

by Eris Is Goddess

So, Goat Boy, what's the largest item you've eaten?

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

pseudosavior posted:

This freaked people out to a large degree, which I can understand, it is rather unusual...

Why don't you tell me why you've gone to such ridiculous extremes to get attention?

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

you son of a bitch!

Well, larger items tend to get stuck in the throat, but I did once eat an entire box of paper clips. So, that's not so much "largest" as "most numerous", but, I think it works.

Rickets posted:

Why don't you tell me why you've gone to such ridiculous extremes to get attention?

To be honest, it's not to get attention. I've been doing it for years and years, and only ever mentioned it in an off-hand manner this morning.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I am the white sky high over Tripoli

If you weren't doing this for attention, why are you posting about it?

Ask me about chewing gum!

Ask me about chewing on straws!

Ask me about eating jelly beans!

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
The four most over-rated things in life are champagne, lobster, anal sex and picnics. Oh, and that stupid children's book 'The Little Prince,' ugh.

Goddamn you most goats are like me and just eat healthy; straw, goat chow, grass. I don't know why you choose to revel in stereotypes, eat anything and even post a loving THREAD about what a lowlife anythinger you are.

Seriously, I'm sick of all my cow buddies (yes, most of my buddies are cows, I grew up in a cow neighborhood) giving me a hard time about "hey dude, there's an empty beer can, ya hungry"?

Would you loving knock it off about your gross habits and talking like all goats are like you. We aren't.

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

pseudosavior posted:

Well, larger items tend to get stuck in the throat, but I did once eat an entire box of paper clips. So, that's not so much "largest" as "most numerous", but, I think it works.

You're really not helping your case here.

Have you ever eaten vast quantities of nickels? If so, does it really make you go blind? If not, will you do it for the sake of this thread?

erotetica
Aug 22, 2006

by Eris Is Goddess

pseudosavior posted:

I did once eat an entire box of paper clips.

Did it hurt when you poo poo them out?

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

you son of a bitch!

Okay, fine, maybe I'm subconsciously doing it for attention. I mainly wanted to see what people thought about it, and see if there were other people out there who have similar odd eating habits.

Nickels are a no-go. I can't chew on/break them with my teeth, and I enjoy my vision FAR too much, even to test this theory in the name of science.

And to Remulak, I apologize for perpetuating the stereotype...but have you HAD beer can? It's tasty.

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

pseudosavior posted:

even to test this theory in the name of science.

Who said anything about science? I'm just trying to turn the attention whoring into something worth paying attention to.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

you son of a bitch!

erotetica posted:

Did it hurt when you poo poo them out?

Nope. Although, it was over the course of a week or so.

Rickets posted:

Who said anything about science? I'm just trying to turn the attention whoring into something worth paying attention to.

...then do it yourself.

TONY DANZAS HO
Aug 27, 2003

Making you do a carepostin 2.1 isn't as uncool as making to an analysis in the middle of a flamewar that boosting my ego.

Please answer the question about how it feels to poo poo these items out.

e: just answered, pretty unsatisfactorily

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Rickets posted:

You're really not helping your case here.

Have you ever eaten vast quantities of nickels? If so, does it really make you go blind? If not, will you do it for the sake of this thread?

Nickels are no longer largely nickel. 75% copper, 25% nickel.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

you son of a bitch!

I guess I'll go into more detail, as people seem to be more ragingly interested in my poo poo.

Regardless of the item eaten, I have yet to ever notice it. That do it for you?

Sorry for not having an awesome and brutal story about my rear end in a top hat being ripped open by an errant shard of metal, but...it's never happened.

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

ZombiePeanut posted:

Nickels are no longer largely nickel. 75% copper, 25% nickel.

He's going to have to eat a lot more nickels!

pseudosavior posted:

Sorry for not having an awesome and brutal story about my rear end in a top hat being ripped open by an errant shard of metal, but...it's never happened.

One can only hope

erotetica
Aug 22, 2006

by Eris Is Goddess

pseudosavior posted:

Have you ever tried eating sharper objects to see if it can be done?

Clarence Darrow
Dec 29, 2006

The Fate of Western Civilization depends on the Republic of Alaska asserting it's territorial rights.

pseudosavior posted:

Without one this one is going straight to Helldump

Toastmaker
Jul 12, 2004

crazy as a fish with titties

What's it like knowing that when you die you'll go to hell, in contrast to your cousin, the sheep, who will be going to heaven?

Dirp
May 16, 2007

Do you ever plan on being as amazing as Michel Lotito?

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

ScottMaximus posted:

Without one this one is going straight to Helldump

Excuse me if we flame him here we can keep this out of Helldump.

hennypenny
Dec 16, 2005

life is just butterscotch and dreams

pseudosavior posted:

I can tell one about this happening to my dog, is the thread saved yet?

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani

Rickets posted:

Excuse me if we flame him here we can keep this out of Helldump.

You do realize the irony of accusing someone of "attention whoring" in a thread where you have outposted everyone, including the OP, by a 2-1 ratio and are now rallying the masses to follow your lead in heckling him to "save" the thread?

completely deck
Jun 6, 2004

by Fragmaster

You admitted some of it is for attention. What else is it for?

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005
L-Shaped

Do you feint if frightened?

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

Do you actually chew the paper clips up or swallow them whole?

When's the last time you visited a dentist?

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

King Bahamut posted:

You do realize the irony of accusing someone of "attention whoring" in a thread where you have outposted everyone, including the OP, by a 2-1 ratio and are now rallying the masses to follow your lead in heckling him to "save" the thread?

I remember when Ask/Tell wasn't full of people like you.

Solar Jetman
Dec 13, 2004

monsters get slain

Did you ever think about taking some iron supplements to fix this?

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
EYEBALLS AND TONGUES DON'T MIX EW EW EW EW EW

This is like some crazy, half-breed second cousin of "ask me about cutting myself".

You still get attention and risk damage to your body, but this is ten times loving nuttier.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 4, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ

you're a human being not a goat

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute

pseudosavior posted:

Now, I know there is a disorder out there known as Pica. I am not going to say that I have this, as...well, I'm undiagnosed, so I can't say one way or the other. (Unlike many people, I'm not fond of the whole self-diagnosis thing.)

uhh i know Iím probably picking off an obvious question but have you ever considered getting help? i mean even if you donít feel like there's something specifically wrong with you, you're engaging in psychologically uhh abnormal behaviours which can cause serious physical harm

Why do you do this? Do you feel itís a compulsion, like you have to, or do you feel you choose to do it for whatever reason? Or do you simply do it, without thinking of it?

I respect the fact that you don't want to diagnose yourself but unless you're doing it for attention, i can honestly say with professional confidence that this isn't normal behaviour and i strongly urge you to get help. Eating random bits of metal and plastic isnít good for you and, over a long period of time, you can cause yourself serious harm

**edit**

quote:

This is like some crazy, half-breed second cousin of "ask me about cutting myself".

You still get attention and risk damage to your body, but this is ten times loving nuttier.

well thats the thing, the psychological mechanisms that underlie cutting or other forms of overt self-harm <tend> to be different then the psychological mechanisms that would underlie eating foreign items. While it is possible that someone who does eat a lot of weird things is doing it for attention, many do so because of several different compulsive disorders completely unrelated to those disorders that make people cut themselves

mind you, i'm making a large assumption by saying that i suspect the OP has a disorder of some sort but i do kinda suspect...

Serrath fucked around with this message at Aug 3, 2007 around 02:29

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.

I'm actually kinda interested in this.

Why do you do it? Do you look at a piece of metal and decide that it would be delicious, or do you just have a random impulse to put something in your mouth and then swallow it?

Are the random things you eat mostly metal, or are there other materials?

Did this just randomly start at some point in time, or have you been doing this since you were a kid?

Why do I like the word "random"?

EvilKosh
Oct 23, 2000

If they saw my face, could I still take a bow? Will they know me, NOMI, know me, now?

Have you ever considered joining a circus side show? Have you ever tried eating a chicken head? This is important if you want to make a career out of this.

This thread would have been a lot better if you posted x-ray pics.

Bad Graphics Ghost
Oct 31, 2006

Bitch, please!

Why do you do it? Does it taste good to you Aren't you afraid of hurting yourself or making yourself sick?

Smear Campaign
Nov 3, 2003

destroy all dreamers with debt and depression

Are you planning on getting an MRI done anytime soon?

Sweatpants Baby
Nov 15, 2003

Hey, remember the 80s!?

EEEYAAAHHHHHE

Cardinal_Sin
Mar 21, 2006
The doctorb is in.

are you a furry

no, really

Stoph
Mar 18, 2006

Give a hug - save a life.

So you're saying you eat can tabs AND bottle rings?

Wow.

Edit: And paperclips?!?!

SconZ
Dec 9, 2006
40,000 men and women every day

Pica is the new assburgers.

Icequeen
May 27, 2004

Extolling the virtues of motherhood

Stoph posted:

So you're saying you eat can tabs AND bottle rings?

Wow.

Edit: And paperclips?!?!

That would be the coolest MRI ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andre Weed 420
Feb 19, 2007

by angerbot

go ahead and self diagnose yourself with that pica disease, it's all the rage nowadays

«2 »