Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CHRISTS FOR SALE
Jan 14, 2005

"fuck you and die"

Walrus791 posted:

Whats everyone using as a Rails IDE? I just installed Apanta/RadRails for Eclipse and its looking very convenient, if a little shallow. Still more then SciTE/Notepad++, but still, a nice IDE goes a long ways.
If you have a Mac, get TextMate. I use Rails on Mac's internal Apache/MySQL and TextMate and it works wonders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHRISTS FOR SALE
Jan 14, 2005

"fuck you and die"
Is there an easy, lightweight, but most of all SECURE plugin or library to use for user authentication? I'm trying to integrate restful_authentication as the user/sessions manager for my app but it just keeps giving me problem after problem, and honestly I'm not too familiar with the way Rails works yet so I really don't know how to fix an error that's caused by the README telling me to put a line of code in a file.

This is the only qualm I have about Rails. Kids, if you're trying to learn Rails be prepared for shitloads of blackbox code. If you download a plugin and it doesn't work, and you aren't very fluent with Ruby/Rails conventions yet, tough poo poo. I'd love to use restful but every time I fix a problem it creates new ones.

CHRISTS FOR SALE
Jan 14, 2005

"fuck you and die"
I really don't care about using REST, as I don't even really know (or care to know at this point) what it is. I just want a simple way to authenticate multiple users, and restful_authentication does this with a method (logged_in? I believe it is). So basically I call that method and that's my security check. It's also got e-mail account activation, and it's scalable. I want a plugin to do that, if not I'll have to waste a lot of time learning how Rails handles cookies and sessions, and while that seems like an interesting future project I'd prefer if the user system would just work now.

And Railscasts sucks, making it seem like it's easy as pie to get this plugin to work...It's not, the plugin doesn't loving work as intended.

CHRISTS FOR SALE
Jan 14, 2005

"fuck you and die"
I've been hard at work developing a plugin for Rails that generates a uniform, standards-compliant and easy to navigate administration interface for all models in a given app. It will feature its own single-user authentication system bundled (probably SuperSimpleAuthentication), but will also feature hooks to other popular multiuser solutions like restful_authentication and Authlogic (requires an extra flag upon generation and a migration run).

The plugin is called rootkit and it's meant to make developing a backend, an area of the site where a limited amount of people will be viewing, easier so more care can be taken for the high-traffic frontend. All too often I find myself tediously coding an admin interface for a site because inline administration would just make things incredibly confusing. The only real difference is modifying how it authenticates users for entry into the admin section. This idea was borrowed from Django, which includes a built-in secure authorization system as well as live administration control panel which automatically adds new models you've created.

I've created the bare bones of what I want it to do. There are a couple meta-programming things that I honestly don't know how to do (like finding all Model classes for the given application), but I'm going to be delving deeper into Ruby to figure poo poo out. If anyone out there would like to contribute to this project, the repo is located at http://github.com/tubbo/rootkit.

If you would like to contribute, message me through github or email tubbo (at) psychedeli (dot) ca

CHRISTS FOR SALE
Jan 14, 2005

"fuck you and die"

GroceryBagHead posted:

1. Why not use it as an Engine? I don't see why you need to generate craploads of views and controllers in the app itself. Let user override defaults if he wishes though.
I'll look into it. What I was trying to accomplish was something that would be easy to implement, a 3-step process that doesn't REQUIRE any dependent plugins.

GroceryBagHead posted:

2. @models = Model.all(:table => RAILS_APP) How does that even work? I checked documentation just to be sure, but there's nothing like this there. Plus, wouldn't you just want AR models?
It doesn't. This is pseudocode that I forgot to comment. I'm actually trying to figure out how to do this. :)

GroceryBagHead posted:

3. Tests. If there are no tests - it doesn't work.
Definitely. These are planned.

CHRISTS FOR SALE
Jan 14, 2005

"fuck you and die"
Has anyone here worked with XMPP? I'm developing an application for a client that requires microblogging and eventually instant messaging. I definitely want to use XMPP for IM, and I am currently reading the book Professional XMPP Programming with JavaScript and jQuery and coming to realize that perhaps XMPP would be a great solution for the microblogging aspect as well, due to its near-real-time nature. I do have a few questions though...

1.) If you have worked with XMPP, what did you use it for? What problems did you encounter? How did you solve those problems?

2.) I already have a primitive "status update" microblogging thing going on right now for prototyping reasons, but it's all working off of one DB table...which I know is not going to be scalable in the future. I'd like to retain that RESTful design pattern, and still work off the User::StatusesController, but this Professional XMPP book got me real interested in Strophe handling all communication between jQuery/JS and the XMPP server. Can I have my cake and eat it too?

3.) How do I facilitate this communication? Do I get an XMPP server or something? I have the ability to set one up myself if so.

CHRISTS FOR SALE fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 28, 2010

CHRISTS FOR SALE
Jan 14, 2005

"fuck you and die"
Has anyone here tried to implement the MetaWeblog API (or rather, any XML-RPC service) in Rails 3? I'm trying to modify my current blog so I can post to it from my iPhone or TextMate. I feel like this is a feature that is more prevalent in blog software, and it's strange to me that there's no "easy way" for one to add XML-RPC services to a Rails app ever since ActionWebService was discontinued (and basically shunned by the Rails community!)...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHRISTS FOR SALE
Jan 14, 2005

"fuck you and die"
A Ruby...On A Rail..

You don't DO that...

http://collectiveidea.com/blog/archives/2012/04/01/walken-on-rails/

Pardot posted:

I expect each and every one of you to see my talk at railsconf. It's about everyone's favorite database, postgres :v:
My company is paying for me to go to Philly ETE and not Railsconf sadly so I expect a stream! :)