Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

What was the rascal? I don't remember that part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detetsu
Jan 14, 2006

Your loyal assistant Dr. Meowgon is all over this one.

Keshik posted:

What is the name of the female assassin Vimes meets at the beginning of Thud?

Wasn't that at the start of Night Watch?

Krinkle posted:

What was the rascal?
A famous painting in the Ankh-Morpork Art museum.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Detetsu posted:

Yeah, she's in Night Watch.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Anyone who's interested in starting the discworld series might find this a handy resource.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Perhaps if one could read it.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Detetsu posted:

Ah, drat.

Thud! and Night Watch were basically the same book anyway. Not much comedy, very dark.

Night Watch is possibly one of the best books Pratchett's written and my least favorite of the Vimes series because it doesn't have Carrot. Call me a royalist, but Carrot is one of the best characters of the entire series. In fact, I'd go so far as to list my favorites in the following order: Havelock Vetinari, Carrot Ironfoundersson, Lu-Tze.

Vetinari and Carrot are, I suspect, the only people on the Disc who would actually notice the presence of Lu-Tze.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Was there seriously some sort of flame war about terry prachett a page ago that ended with people reporting each other for "flaming"? Jesus that's pathetic.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobula posted:

Perhaps if one could read it.

Yes, well heres a link

http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-order-guides/

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

maxnmona posted:

Was there seriously some sort of flame war about terry prachett a page ago that ended with people reporting each other for "flaming"? Jesus that's pathetic.

book related custom red titles? Or is the book barn not worth the effort?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Krinkle posted:

book related custom red titles? Or is the book barn not worth the effort?

HERE IS YOUR loving COW

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

Nilbop posted:

HERE IS YOUR loving COW

LEOPARDS DON'T WEAR SHORTS, FUCKWIT

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
I haven't read Making Money yet - I tend to wait for the paperbacks of Pratchett for the sake of my shelves - but from what has been said in the thread about Enron/Rand/Smith etc etc is all very well and good, but it's probably worth bearing in mind that as Terry is an English author, he is more than likely drawing on current events surrounding privatisation of public assets in the UK, both current under "New" Labour (large bits of the NHS, academies, the Post Office etc.) and past under the Tories (the railways, utilities, BT etc.).

As a Private Eye reader the character of Reacher Gilt, as described in this thread, sounds like one of the City-based fat cat villains who turn up regularly in the In The Back section. Thoughts, anyone?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Nilbop posted:

HERE IS YOUR loving COW
haha lmao

Anyway, I sort of dislike Carrot. He was cool in the first book but then he just became some sort of Ankh-Morpork god and I think Pratchett goes overboard with everyone instantly liking him, doing as he says, blah blah, it's kind of boring.

Aaron Burr
Mar 7, 2004

President of the Republic of Louisiana, 1808-1816

Bonus posted:

Anyway, I sort of dislike Carrot. He was cool in the first book but then he just became some sort of Ankh-Morpork god and I think Pratchett goes overboard with everyone instantly liking him, doing as he says, blah blah, it's kind of boring.

I think there's fertile ground to explore when a sufficiently nasty villain shows up who's absolutely unaffected by Carrot's K'risma.

Then again, that pretty much happened at the end of Fifth Elephant - and seeing Carrot get his rear end handed to him by a werewolf was a very satisfying moment.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

what did Vimes call the Queensbury rules? The "put up your dukes" fancy prancing that old timey boxers use? The ones that Carrot tried to use and had his arm broken?

Aaron Burr
Mar 7, 2004

Krinkle posted:

what did Vimes call the Queensbury rules? The "put up your dukes" fancy prancing that old timey boxers use? The ones that Carrot tried to use and had his arm broken?

The Marquise of Fantailler Rules, which largely consisted of a list of places people weren't allowed to hit him.

Detetsu
Jan 14, 2006

Your loyal assistant Dr. Meowgon is all over this one.

PresterJohn posted:

The Marquise of Fantailler Rules, which largely consisted of a list of places people weren't allowed to hit him.

Stuff the bloody Marquise of Fantailler and his rules.

I always enjoy the footnotes in Pratchett's books, and it's interesting to see the Librarian foot notes evolve over time where it's originally just an explanation of his origin to the point where everyone just views him as this sort of Librarian blob and nothing else.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Detetsu posted:

I always enjoy the footnotes in Pratchett's books

They're always the best jokes, in my opinion. There's the always amusing Fingers Mazda, of course, but another favorite is the one from Feet of Clay.

quote:

'Right you are, Captain Carrot!' said the dwarf baker. 'C'mon, lads! Let's hang 'em up by the bura'zak-ka'!*
'Ooo,' murmured the weak of heart, damply.
'Now, now, Mr Ironcrust,' said Carrot patiently. 'We don't practise that punishment in Ankh-Morpork.'**

*Town hall.

**Because Ankh-Morpork doesn't have a town hall.

dr gumby
Sep 27, 2007

by angerbotSD

Detetsu posted:

I always enjoy the footnotes in Pratchett's books, and it's interesting to see the Librarian foot notes evolve over time where it's originally just an explanation of his origin to the point where everyone just views him as this sort of Librarian blob and nothing else.

There is a good discussion on this very issue in Terry Practchett: Guilty of Literature. I grabbed the book from my university's library, so I am not sure how easy it is to get a hold of elsewhere. It's a good read though if you are interested in the themes behind his writing.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

PresterJohn posted:

To visualize it, imagine an early 1890’s man with a wax mustache trying to box while holding hands in front of him, knuckles facing the other person. Its like that, or that is always how I’ve read it.

It’s like that SNL Skit with Conan O’Brien where he is pretending to be the first white man to box a black guy.

Aaron Burr
Mar 7, 2004

Vernon T. Waldrip from O Brother Where Art Thou? is a master of Marquise of Fantailler combat.

Augustus Artorius
Jul 5, 2005

In any world menu, Canada must be considered the vichyssoise of nations, it's cold, half-French, and difficult to stir.
Does anyone remember which book it is where someone talks about grabbing time by the forelock? I'm pretty sure it's a Watch book, but it could just as easily be one of the Monks books or even one of the Susan ones.

There's a quote somewhere in that certain book along the lines of 'Grab a hold of Time by the forelock, since she's got nothing on behind' or something.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Augustus Artorius posted:

Does anyone remember which book it is where someone talks about grabbing time by the forelock? I'm pretty sure it's a Watch book, but it could just as easily be one of the Monks books or even one of the Susan ones.

There's a quote somewhere in that certain book along the lines of 'Grab a hold of Time by the forelock, since she's got nothing on behind' or something.

I'm thinking Thief of Time, when Nanny Ogg's expert services are required, but I can't find anything with Google.

Edit: After a quick scan through this, there seems not to be any mention of the word 'forelock', so who knows?

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 12, 2007

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Finished Men at Arms this morning. Finally something without witches. Three out of the last four I've read were Witch books. I'm reading them in the order they're in on the list in one of the first pages, taking into account that list is backwards, although somehow I read Small Gods before Moving Pictures. I'm really looking forward to Soul Music, being that's one of my other interests besides reading.

Anyway, a question: Didn't Gaspode die at the end of Moving Pictures? I know the answer is probably that the series isn't really in any sort of chronological order, but it just bothered me a little.

Carrot seems to have changed quite a bit while we weren't looking too, he went from Woody on Cheers to...to something else.

LooseChanj fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Oct 14, 2007

Reverend Werewolf
Aug 14, 2004
I got a fevah

LooseChanj posted:

Anyway, a question: Didn't Gaspode die at the end of Moving Pictures? I know the answer is probably that the series isn't really in any sort of chronological order, but it just bothered me a little.

Gaspode does not die at the end of Moving Pictures. As the magic of the clicks fades away, he loses his powers of speech and awareness and becomes a normal dog again.

In later books, its explained that he regained the ability while scavenging around Unseen University - the residual magic energy there brought it back.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Making Money was awesome. Thud! was way darker and kinda moodier than Making Money, which I have no problem with, it was an awesome book, but Making Money was like a return to the more lighter-of-heart Discworld books. I had a lot of good laughs during it, well worth a read. :)

Fishbulbz
Aug 24, 2004

What are the civilian applications?

LooseChanj posted:

Moving Pictures stuff

Spoilers please, I haven't read Moving Pictures. :(

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Fishbulbz posted:

You have now.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Fishbulbz posted:

Oops, sorry. Trust me though, you're not missing much. It's the only discworld novel I didn't enjoy much.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

LooseChanj posted:

Oops, sorry. Trust me though, you're not missing much. It's the only discworld novel I didn't enjoy much.

Unusually weak book, mostly because the main characters are not all that compelling. On the other hand, Ponder Stibbons and Gaspode get their introduction, and Detritus starts to move out into the spotlight.

As for Making Money, it's not as strong as Going Postal, and probably not even as good as The Truth. Part of the problem, at least for me, was the shaky use of economics. The Golem Standard was clearly written in to introduce the Labor Value of money, which is essentially what we use today. But the element it introduces -- AM suddenly has an unstoppable army able to CONQUER THE WORLD -- overshadows its use as a mere monetary basis. It's hard to get excited about, you know, fiscal backing when the entire city is fighting over a superweapon.

And for a book primarily about classical economics, the treatment of the Golem Army takes an unexpected turn. Pratchett seemed to be arguing for a Nobility of Work theory, where the city and people gain worth simply by working. And also that turning the Golem Army loose would shock the social order of the City to its core. The second part is definitely true. But the first? The Golems are the equivalent of fairly impressive machines that improve productive capacity. Aren't a lot of AM residents still starving & underhoused, thanks mostly to the limitations of local technology? You could feed a lot of people with those Golems. And they're going to be underused simply to run telegraphs? I don't know.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Copernic posted:

Unusually weak book, mostly because the main characters are not all that compelling.

What ruined it for me was the rather clumsy way some of the tech was shoehorned in. I mean, c'mon, if you go so far as to invent *film*, why the hell do you need imps painting on it? That's just straight out of the Flintstones. Why not go the full 9 years and just make it photography?

Grum
May 7, 2007

Copernic posted:

. The Golem Standard was clearly written in to introduce the Labor Value of money, which is essentially what we use today. But the element it introduces -- AM suddenly has an unstoppable army able to CONQUER THE WORLD -- overshadows its use as a mere monetary basis. It's hard to get excited about, you know, fiscal backing when the entire city is fighting over a superweapon.

And for a book primarily about classical economics, the treatment of the Golem Army takes an unexpected turn. Pratchett seemed to be arguing for a Nobility of Work theory, where the city and people gain worth simply by working. And also that turning the Golem Army loose would shock the social order of the City to its core. The second part is definitely true. But the first? The Golems are the equivalent of fairly impressive machines that improve productive capacity. Aren't a lot of AM residents still starving & underhoused, thanks mostly to the limitations of local technology? You could feed a lot of people with those Golems. And they're going to be underused simply to run telegraphs? I don't know.

It's covered in the book, using them would supply all the labour so the people who are starving and underhoused would now be starving, underhoused and unemployed and that'll just make things worse. Really, all the bases are covered by Moist's and Vetanari's conversation, trying to go deeper is, well, going too deep -- it's a Discworld novel for god's sake.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

Grum posted:

It's covered in the book, using them would supply all the labour so the people who are starving and underhoused would now be starving, underhoused and unemployed and that'll just make things worse. Really, all the bases are covered by Moist's and Vetanari's conversation, trying to go deeper is, well, going too deep -- it's a Discworld novel for god's sake.

But that makes no sense. Perhaps they'll be unemployed. But starving and underhoused? The golems are capable of growing all the food and building all the housing. The golems really represent a world of no scarcity. I can accept that scarcity is an important thing because it forces us to be productive, create new technology, and otherwise grow the civilization. But it's not *all* bad to have an untiring army of workers who can do everything for you.

I think Pratchett was referring to a situation where the money economy dries up. Which it would, just like in a credit crunch. But we wouldn't need money anymore, golems would provide everything we would ordinarily buy.

I thought a more realistic fear was that we'd all end up like the humans in Asimov's more decadent societies. The robots do all the work, we just sit around and drink beer and get stupid. Is that so bad?

It's not even clear we'd be unemployed. Wright's The Golden Age is a great riposte to the "If they do all the work, there'll be no work" argument.

Calenth
Jul 11, 2001

Copernic posted:

But that makes no sense. Perhaps they'll be unemployed. But starving and underhoused? The golems are capable of growing all the food and building all the housing. The golems really represent a world of no scarcity. I can accept that scarcity is an important thing because it forces us to be productive, create new technology, and otherwise grow the civilization. But it's not *all* bad to have an untiring army of workers who can do everything for you.

I think Pratchett was referring to a situation where the money economy dries up. Which it would, just like in a credit crunch. But we wouldn't need money anymore, golems would provide everything we would ordinarily buy.

I thought a more realistic fear was that we'd all end up like the humans in Asimov's more decadent societies. The robots do all the work, we just sit around and drink beer and get stupid. Is that so bad?

It's not even clear we'd be unemployed. Wright's The Golden Age is a great riposte to the "If they do all the work, there'll be no work" argument.

I think Pratchett just got his economics wrong. And didn't want a post-scarcity economy forever changing the discworld.

I disagree with the guy above who said Moving Pictures was the worst discworld novel; it was good if only because it introduced Gaspode, who might be my favorite character on the Disc.

The worst discworld novel was Monstrous Regiment -- I think i've read every published discworld novel, and it's the only one i've read that was just a flat out artistic failure, predictable, trite, and boring, a bad novel.

Aaron Burr
Mar 7, 2004

Calenth posted:

I disagree with the guy above who said Moving Pictures was the worst discworld novel ... The worst discworld novel was Monstrous Regiment

Hey you're both wrong; the worst discworld novel is Eric.

Or maybe people's tastes differ.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PresterJohn posted:

Hey you're both wrong; the worst discworld novel is Eric.

Or maybe people's tastes differ.

What's wrong with Eric? The Tezuman section drags a little, but everything after that is solid gold.

Especially Pratchett's digression on high-degree boredom during the Hell section.

Aaron Burr
Mar 7, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

What's wrong with Eric?

Maybe. People's. Tastes. Differ.

Grum
May 7, 2007

PresterJohn posted:

Maybe. People's. Tastes. Differ.

Yeah but what's wrong with Eric?

Aaron Burr
Mar 7, 2004

Grum posted:

Yeah but what's wrong with Eric?

I didn't like it. I liked Moving Pictures more. I liked Monstrous Regiment much more than either.

I could come up with a bunch of elaborate justifications but either your tastes match mine and you don't care or your tastes diverge and you'll take issue with whatever I come up with so what's the point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

Obviously you're wrong in a way that can be proven objectively.