Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

dordreff posted:

Carrot hasn't had a major role in a book since like The Fifth Elephant.

That's not right!

He was a major character in the Last Hero :cheeky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I thought it was Carrot's.

Vetinari may know who everyone is, but I think Carrot knows who everyone is but also gets to know everyone. Vetinari might be able to find out the things about you that you don't want people to know, but Carrot will be so damned personable that you'll tell him yourself.

I think that this probably has to do with Carrot's unassailable Belief in the Law.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

dordreff posted:

Carrot hasn't had a major role in a book since like The Fifth Elephant.

Its not like it was that much more to say about him.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Thud's been the only Watch book since then anyway. Night Watch and Snuff were both Vimes books.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Thud's been the only Watch book since then anyway. Night Watch and Snuff were both Vimes books.

Kinda a bummer to see that the Vimes books consist of a major contender for the best Discworld novel, and a book that's mediocre at best.

snograt
Jul 18, 2013

rattus rattus
senile old twattus
I've just marathoned this thread over the past week and oh god how sad it is when you know where it's going.

I started reading Discworld when Colour of Magic was released because, love him or loath him, Josh Kirby covers really leap at you off the bookshelves. I've devoured everything Terry ever wrote and even the not-so-good ones are still at the top of fantasy literature.

Even Moving Pictures.

Possibly not the Long Earth sequels - but I can blame the co-author.

I have a theory about Raising Steam. I firmly believe Terry had only managed a rough outline of the characters and story and that somebody else did the composition. It just isn't Pratchetty enough. There's far too many callbacks, repetitions of funny observations from previous books. To me, it's like a collection of Discworld cameos.

Buggrit, I enjoyed it just the same, just not as much as a "proper" Terry tale.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

snograt posted:

I have a theory about Raising Steam. I firmly believe Terry had only managed a rough outline of the characters and story and that somebody else did the composition. It just isn't Pratchetty enough. There's far too many callbacks, repetitions of funny observations from previous books. To me, it's like a collection of Discworld cameos.
Or maybe Pratchett knew that he wasn't going to be able to write that many more books and wanted to make sort of "last hurrah". I think that Pratchett would've been honest enough to say that he didn't write all of it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Alhazred posted:

Or maybe Pratchett knew that he wasn't going to be able to write that many more books and wanted to make sort of "last hurrah". I think that Pratchett would've been honest enough to say that he didn't write all of it.

Or, and this is the actual answer, Pterry wasn't capable of reviewing the entirety of what he'd written. It's why Rob gets a prominent shout out on the later books; as his embuggerance progressed Pterry needed to have his work read back to him in order to sound it out. The last few books became segmented because it was being reviewed by the paragraph rather than in the greater context, and some jokes got repeated because Pterry didn't remember he'd used them before and he couldn't check so easily.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah. He was a writer who worked by an endless process of refinement, and he became unable to do that.

I don't even know if he would've written Raising Steam if he hadn't really wanted to get the Train book he'd been building up to for like the last dozen done.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

snograt posted:

Possibly not the Long Earth sequels - but I can blame the co-author.
That series is so weird. Both of the authors are great individually and yet somehow the collaborative product is borderline unreadable to me.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

That series is so weird. Both of the authors are great individually and yet somehow the collaborative product is borderline unreadable to me.

I normally enjoy his characters that just happen to know everything, and are secretly controlling things behind the scenes, but in The Long Earth Lobsang is just intolerable, as is Sally(?) to a large extent.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I liked The Long Earth, and the sequels less so, but I think I mostly liked the concept of the long earth itself. The characters were just sort of there, doing everything perfectly at all times.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Jedit posted:

Or, and this is the actual answer, Pterry wasn't capable of reviewing the entirety of what he'd written. It's why Rob gets a prominent shout out on the later books; as his embuggerance progressed Pterry needed to have his work read back to him in order to sound it out. The last few books became segmented because it was being reviewed by the paragraph rather than in the greater context, and some jokes got repeated because Pterry didn't remember he'd used them before and he couldn't check so easily.

Yeah, that's the thing. He'd talked about his writing process before, and it involved dozens of exhaustive editing passes. The books got rougher once he couldn't read, and had to settle for less polish. Towards the end, he couldn't really edit like that anymore, because he couldn't keep the whole thing in his head at once. :smith:

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

angerbeet posted:

I liked The Long Earth, and the sequels less so, but I think I mostly liked the concept of the long earth itself. The characters were just sort of there, doing everything perfectly at all times.

Same, I enjoyed the first one alright as it introduced a neat concept, but the sequels were pretty bad. I never read past the second one technically, but it was bad enough that I didn't want to pick up the third.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

subx posted:

Same, I enjoyed the first one alright as it introduced a neat concept, but the sequels were pretty bad. I never read past the second one technically, but it was bad enough that I didn't want to pick up the third.

Yeah, I kinda had issues with the first one towards the end, with the switch from "Oh, hey, cool. The US government's being kinda logical on how to handle the issues arising from a near-infinite multiverse." to "Aaand now we're going full X-Men.", but it had a lot of neat things in with the problems. The sequel...

When a book is called "The Long War", you expect, you know. A war. I admit, I was kind of curious how the logistics would be handled, security measures, any new weapons built to take advantage of the inherent properties of stepping. I mean, wars are horrible, but fictional wars are neat, even if the setup was contrived. I was expecting something at least mildly interesting.

Not something stopped by a sit-in. I mean, for gently caress's sake. You say that wars are solved forever by infinite resources after spending the rest of the book highlighting that wars are just as often matters of ideology! Oh, and it was great how, after the first book spent so long showing that in the Long Earths there was nothing like humans and every other "smart" species thought very differently, that there were now dozens of aliens who you could just sit down and talk to, because that's so much more interesting that the idea of being terrifyingly alone in a vast cosmos with creatures that are, in a very real way not like you.

Cripes. And that's ignoring how most of the book was just endless pointless subplots.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I'm trying to read through Shepherd's Crown. It manages to replicate the horrible experience of talking to a relative suffering from Alzheimer's in text form.

Why am I doing this to myself?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Xander77 posted:

I'm trying to read through Shepherd's Crown. It manages to replicate the horrible experience of talking to a relative suffering from Alzheimer's in text form.

Oh good, yet another reason why I will not read that book, the first being the death of Granny Weatherwax.

My grandmother passed away recently, but she'd been gone for years before that. Alzheimer's is, in many ways, the worst disease a person can suffer from because it takes away what makes a person a person, and leaves us someone broken and lost. :smith:

EDIT: Sorry about the broken tag!

Screaming Idiot fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 14, 2016

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

broken spoiler tags there

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

angerbeet posted:

It's a great world in which a great story could happen but doesn't. It mostly just reads like a worldbuilding bible being walked through by the characters.

If you read the short in A Blink of the Screen (or was it A Slip of the Keyboard) that was the proto-long-earth, that shows what it could have been.

Xander77 posted:

Because Pterry deserves it, and so do you. it's a grand send off for him i felt.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Because Pterry deserves it, and so do you. it's a grand send off for him i felt.

The end of Thud! was a good sendoff. The rest is listening to the EEG's beeps grow slower.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Xander77 posted:

Shepherd's Crown certainly had some problems (plot threads being resolved far too quickly, or dropped entirely, for example) but it at least was more coherent than Raising Steam.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Shepherd's Crown is still on my shelf, with the rest of the collection. I'll read it someday, when I'm ready.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.

dordreff posted:

Shepherd's Crown certainly had some problems (plot threads being resolved far too quickly, or dropped entirely, for example) but it at least was more coherent than Raising Steam.

Shepherd's Crown didn't have an ending really, well it had an ending, but not a resolution. Was goat-dude supposed to be the First Shepherd or whatever, and why did it matter? The whole book seemed like pTerry had something he really wanted to say about the nature of modern masculinity, but he never quite wrapped it up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Even without context I'd have a really hard time ever recommending anyone, ever, read Raising Steam. It's just quite bad.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Blind Melon posted:

he never quite wrapped it up.
Just wait til you find out why.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Whatever happened with that mysterious Facebook image anyway? About the thing happening in May?

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
Wee Free Men adaptation coming.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I'm almost done with Shepherd's Crown. Have to put it down every few paragraphs and go read something that isn't... quite as much of a wreck.

You know what's a better final tribute? Nelly Cootalot. Yeah, really. It wears its Monkey Island influence on its sleeve, but as I've re-read most of Discworld over the last few, it's really obvious how much of the humor and setup-payoff style is based on the better Discworld books. Every time SC bungles that most basic setup and delivery, I flash back to NC and how well it did in taking up the Pratchett style and applying it to its own settings and characters.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The railway one is actually the only one where Pratchett's mind death shows. All the other ones are more or less fine but not all brilliant.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

The railway one is actually the only one where Pratchett's mind death shows. All the other ones are more or less fine but not all brilliant.

The degradation started around Unseen Academicals and became undeniable by Snuff. I wish I'd never read the latter.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

The degradation started around Unseen Academicals and became undeniable by Snuff. I wish I'd never read the latter.

I liked Snuff :( But Unseen Academicals was about football which is why I loathed it :shrug:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I don't actually think anything was wrong with Unseen Academicals except that it was chock-full of references that only make sense to British people, more than any other Discworld book I could name.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Finally finished Shepherd's Crown, and for all the problems with it I was quite torn up by the end. Especially by the Afterword. Vale, Pterry.

:(

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Rand Brittain posted:

I don't actually think anything was wrong with Unseen Academicals except that it was chock-full of references that only make sense to British people, more than any other Discworld book I could name.

It had that weird orc plot that kind of came out of nowhere and didn't go anywhere. And the Patrician being weirdly obsessed with a random baker, to the point where he puzzles out her secret cheese and onion pie recipe. Other than that, its only crime was being British as git.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Kajeesus posted:

It had that weird orc plot that kind of came out of nowhere and didn't go anywhere. And the Patrician being weirdly obsessed with a random baker, to the point where he puzzles out her secret cheese and onion pie recipe. Other than that, its only crime was being British as git.

The orc plot feels like it fits into the theme of "you can't just be nice and hope people will like you, you have to demand that they do."

Also I'm obsessed with good pies, so the Patrician should be, too.

Meanwhile, I'm rather irritated that the quality of Pratchett's books on audible.com is much lower than the quality of the same books from the same publisher on audible.co.uk.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

like I thought he was gonna go with something about hte orc hivemind vs being part of a sports group and that just fizzled

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Kajeesus posted:

I still think it was odd that he did the book about goblins after the book where a major plot point is that a character is initially thought to be a goblin, but is later revealed to be an orc.

(I think prior to Unseen Academicals the only statement about Goblins in Discworld was "A goblin is a gnome while it is underground. A gnome is a goblin coming up for air" back in the Light Fantastic.)

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

So I got around to reading The Long Cosmos and my overall reaction to it was: ...meh.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

I liked Snuff :( But Unseen Academicals was about football which is why I loathed it :shrug:

I like the ideas behind Snuff. The stuff about the Goblins and the dreadful algebra of necessity was good, but the actual writing craft was sorrowful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

EvilTaytoMan posted:

So I got around to reading The Long Cosmos and my overall reaction to it was: ...meh.

This worries me. The series lost it's lustre as it progressed and I was hoping the final book would be better. It's on my shelf but I have to admit the last few Pratchett books have made me a little gun shy.