Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You rarely see him do anything because he's an ancillary character. You rarely see Nobby doing stuff either. Or Sybil. Or Vetinari for that matter.

Carrot is a parody of the "one true king returns" trope (no one said what he'd return as). His entire arc is rejecting kinghood and instead doing the right thing. That's it. It's pretty much finished by Guards and he just becomes part of the ensemble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

chiasaur11 posted:

Uh, no. It's hosed up.

Yeah, the part of my quote you bolded was meant to be sarcasm -- Angua and Carrot's relationship is more than a little suspect to me and it's another reason why I sort of wished she had just stayed in Uberwald at the end of The Fifth Elephant to help fix werewolf/dwarf/human/vampire relations.

Speaking of Nobby, I have to say that he's one of the more well-developed characters in the Watch. Every book has him change a little, display a little more of his background (especially in Night Watch, which could bring a man to tears), until in the end he's finally settled down in a stable relationship with a goblin. He's a background character, but he's a solid background character and one of Pratchett's more notable successes.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yo dudes, I'm getting my girlfriend into the Discworld novels, what do you guys think is a good starter? I was recomemnding something like Going Postal or Small Gods first, my dad thinks Equal Rites or Guards! Guards! would be better.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Thank you amazon I've been reading the books in chronological order of release and was getting irritated that the only copies of Eric they print are lovely stripped down versions with no illustrations. Here: https://smile.amazon.com/Eric-Novel-Discworld-Terry-Pratchett/dp/0062237330/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473892777&sr=8-1&keywords=pratchett+eric Don't get this garbage, follow my link below.

Amazon sellers have brand new nice full color illustrated paperbacks for $9 including slow rear end shipping. https://www.amazon.com/Illustrated-Eric-Terry-Pratchett/dp/0575096292/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=
It's a really nice glossy color paperback.

I really wanted to read the book as intended

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Flipswitch posted:

Yo dudes, I'm getting my girlfriend into the Discworld novels, what do you guys think is a good starter?

My vote would be either Mort or Guards! Guards!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Those are all good options, but I think Wyrd Sisters works better than Equal Rites.
However from that list I definitely vote for Going Postal, it's the first Discworld I ever read and I have since read all of them. So I guess it worked.

Alternatively, which of the following is your girlfriend angry about :

• Gender Equality
  • Law & Politics
  • Religion
  • The loving Cable Bill

And pick the book accordingly.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Flipswitch posted:

Yo dudes, I'm getting my girlfriend into the Discworld novels, what do you guys think is a good starter? I was recomemnding something like Going Postal or Small Gods first, my dad thinks Equal Rites or Guards! Guards! would be better.

Mort, Guards Guards, Wyrd Sisters or Going Postal. I'd suggest avoiding Equal Rites for now, as it never really seemed to me like a good start point for the Witches stuff; it's a bit unfocused and doesn't have as good a grip on Granny, and without the other witches to play against she doesn't work as well anyway. Plus it's got little relevance to the rest of the series so you don't lose anything by leaving it for later.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Vimes ends up absorbing much of Carrot's basic personality so it's not surprising Carrot recedes pretty heavily.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Grimes and Granny Weatherwax are written in a sort of beyond narration first person. Quite often the plot revolves around them knowing who they are and what they have to do. They are very self aware.

Vimes arc especially, he's effectively knowingly fighting his own destiny. He openly "thinks" about it. That's why he's so great.

Carrot never has that.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ben Soosneb posted:

Grimes and Granny Weatherwax are written in a sort of beyond narration first person. Quite often the plot revolves around them knowing who they are and what they have to do. They are very self aware.

Vimes arc especially, he's effectively knowingly fighting his own destiny. He openly "thinks" about it. That's why he's so great.

Carrot never has that.

Carrot is "fighting his own destiny" too. It's just that having a hardboiled voice for your direct self-aware person is more compelling than an innocent voice, so Vimes took over the narrative as Pratchett wrote Guards! Guards! and the rest of the Watch books. Not to mention that Carrot is pretty self-aware based on the ending of Men At Arms.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

Carrot is "fighting his own destiny" too. It's just that having a hardboiled voice for your direct self-aware person is more compelling than an innocent voice, so Vimes took over the narrative as Pratchett wrote Guards! Guards! and the rest of the Watch books. Not to mention that Carrot is pretty self-aware based on the ending of Men At Arms.

Defintaly carrot has an arc. But he doesn't have a "I know I'm the basis of this story first person" book like Vimes does. It's why Night's Watch is so good. It's Vimes living and narrating a story that has happened. Which is what he always does. But in Nights Watch he knows it.

Granny comes pretty close to that in Capre Jugulum, but it's not nearly as good.

Nothing wrong which Carrot, but his position does fall by the wayside as ankh-morpork modernises. Which sort of makes sense.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Flipswitch posted:

Small Gods is a good starter because it doesn't require a lot of Discworld foreknowledge beyond what you can see in my avatar, but Guards! Guards! introduces us to Vimes, who is basically the most consistently well-written protagonist in the entire series. Going Postal is okay, but it's something you read when you've read all the really good Discworld books and need something to tide you over until you can read the good Discworld books again. Pyramids is another good starting book, with some of its high points making it almost as good a piece of theological/philosophical literature as Small Gods, and its low points some pretty chuckle-worthy geometry gags.

Stay away from The Amazing Maurice, though. Aside from the Rat King -- who was actually pretty damned creepy for what it turned out to be -- the book is completely forgettable.

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?

Bum the Sad posted:

Amazon sellers have brand new nice full color illustrated paperbacks for $9 including slow rear end shipping.

Haha, you weren't kidding about slow rear end shipping. I'll get my new book in a month. :v:

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

e X posted:

Yeah, I agree. Carrot is one of the few things in Discworld that absolutely do not work for me.

I think I get what Prachett was trying to do with him, but it just doesn't work for me, he is incredible bland an uninteresting character. I also have the feeling, and I think Prachett confirmed that somewhere in an interview, that his view an Carrot changed pretty significantly as time went on. He is basically the main character in Guards Guards, but each subsequent book reduces his screen time (pagetime?) significantly, until he basically just another watchmen. On the one hand, that is an absolute plus in my eyes, but on the other, that is obviously of the reasons I find him boring. Because at least in my eyes, being the potential heir to the throne is in itself not an interesting character trait.

Also, the fact that it is always left ambiguous whether or not his behavior is an act or not does bug me a lot, since it is kind of the main difference between being a genuinely nice person or a manipulative psychopath.

Isn't there one section of Guards Guards (might be another) where Carrot have a conversation with Vetinari that is full of undertones and where it is implicit that Carrot knows that he could usurp Vetinari but have no inclination to.
There is also one episode in another book where Carrot quite cold-heartedly kills someone without showing the slightest remorse.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cardiac posted:

Isn't there one section of Guards Guards (might be another) where Carrot have a conversation with Vetinari that is full of undertones and where it is implicit that Carrot knows that he could usurp Vetinari but have no inclination to.
There is also one episode in another book where Carrot quite cold-heartedly kills someone without showing the slightest remorse.

He kills Cruces because Cruces knows.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Sep 15, 2016

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Haha just kidding he's a fictional character and we have no way of knowing that because it's not mentioned in the text.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
start with mort

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

bondetamp posted:

Haha, you weren't kidding about slow rear end shipping. I'll get my new book in a month. :v:

Took me about 2 1/2 weeks.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

He kills Cruces because Cruces knows.

Well, that and because he shot a bunch of people.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Well, that and because he shot a bunch of people.

Did you... did actually you read any of the books with Carrot in them?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Did you... did actually you read any of the books with Carrot in them?

Yes? It's the scene with that "good man/evil man" bit that everyone can't stop quoting. Cruces' knowledge of the succession was a factor, but the fact that he'd shot Vetinari, killed another copper and had Vimes under the barrel as well probably didn't help his chances either.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

tooterfish posted:

You rarely see him do anything because he's an ancillary character. You rarely see Nobby doing stuff either. Or Sybil. Or Vetinari for that matter.

Carrot is a parody of the "one true king returns" trope (no one said what he'd return as). His entire arc is rejecting kinghood and instead doing the right thing. That's it. It's pretty much finished by Guards and he just becomes part of the ensemble.

I know what he is, I just don't think Prachett pulled it off very well.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

e X posted:

I know what he is, I just don't think Prachett pulled it off very well.
I imagine he had plans for Carrot.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

SeanBeansShako posted:

I imagine he had plans for Carrot.

He did.

He also freely admitted that most of those plans got thrown out because it turns out that Vimes was a far more interesting character to write.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

Yes? It's the scene with that "good man/evil man" bit that everyone can't stop quoting. Cruces' knowledge of the succession was a factor, but the fact that he'd shot Vetinari, killed another copper and had Vimes under the barrel as well probably didn't help his chances either.

Yeah, but Carrot is a pretty big advocate of due process and all that poo poo, generally. Tries to read the golem king his rights in Feet of Clay. Tries to bring Carcer in alive in Night Watch. All that kind of stuff. Even squares up to fight Wolfgang by Marquis of Queensbury rules. Lots of people do horrible poo poo, and they all come in alive. The guy making the poisoned candles who accidentally kills the old lady and the baby, he comes in alive.

Cruces, on the other hand, gets pinned to the wall like a butterfly. No attempt to capture him, nothing. It's the only time in the series that I can recall where Carrot just straight up kills a motherfucker, and the person he killed was somebody he could have taken in alive pretty easily.

Cruces died because he knew, basically.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Khizan posted:

Yeah, but Carrot is a pretty big advocate of due process and all that poo poo, generally. Tries to read the golem king his rights in Feet of Clay. Tries to bring Carcer in alive in Night Watch. All that kind of stuff. Even squares up to fight Wolfgang by Marquis of Queensbury rules. Lots of people do horrible poo poo, and they all come in alive. The guy making the poisoned candles who accidentally kills the old lady and the baby, he comes in alive.

Cruces, on the other hand, gets pinned to the wall like a butterfly. No attempt to capture him, nothing. It's the only time in the series that I can recall where Carrot just straight up kills a motherfucker, and the person he killed was somebody he could have taken in alive pretty easily.

Plenty of people know. Vimes knows. Vetinari knows. Hell, half the drat city knows. He died because the Gonne had already destroyed him and there was nothing sane or human left of the man.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
To be fair, I think the "secret heir of Ankh-Morpork" thing changed from "possible plotline" to "running gag" and Carrot became (slightly) better for it. And Vimes is an interesting character because despite living almost literally next door to the largest concentration of magical power and wisdom in the known world, he insists on sticking to the rules. Magic's a living, dangerous thing that'll rise up and bite you in the rear end the moment you take it for granted. Vimes would trust his notebook and cardboard soles over some spell cast by a wizard whose ties to sanity and the laws of physics are tenuous at the best.

I like how as the series progresses otherworldly things begin to fade. Indeed, in Raising Steam the wizards and Sweeper only had token appearances -- appearances which I personally believe should have been cut out since they're pretty obvious notes from Pratchett to tell us, "Yes, these characters still exist, and they, too, are completely okay with non-magical, non-quantum engineering."

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Discworld magic is dangerous though, there's a reason why it isn't used much. From Going Postal:

quote:

Any ignorant fool can fail to turn someone else into a frog. You have to be clever to refrain from doing it when you knew how easy it was. There were places in the world commemorating those times when wizards hadn't been quite as clever as that, and on many of them the grass would never grow again.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Khizan posted:

The Golem King, Carcer, Wolfgang, and Dragon King of Arms (the poison candle guy) also didn't have a loving gun to Vimes' head when Carrot was trying to arrest them.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Khizan posted:

Marquis of Queensbury
Fantailler :colbert:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Cardiac posted:

I'm not sure if it's what you're referring to but at the end of Men at Arms Carrot kills someone, although it was in self defense.

The fact that he kills someone isn't really remarkable though, it's the way he kills them.

E: I've been reading through the books again and I still love the relationship between Ridcully and the Bursar. The Bursar is probably one of the more inspired secondary characters, particularly as Pratchett managed to convey slapstick in written form which is quite hard to do. I especially like the times when he is so rigid they can literally use him as a bridge/crowbar

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Sep 19, 2016

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I really liked Carrot as a bumbling character in Guards! Guards! who got into actual peril from being so good-natured and naive in a place that is so not. His transition to adored guy who kind of always succeeds at everything and is specifically not stupid got a bit stale for me. I guess some of that strong and capable but simple aspect got carried over to Detritus, but with less of the good-natured and trusting side that made him SO endearing.

Agreed that him and Angua was always a bit of an odd coupling.

Konstantin posted:

Discworld magic is dangerous though, there's a reason why it isn't used much. From Going Postal:
[passage]
Ugh, the linguistic flow and thoughtful impact of that simple last part really makes me want to read some more Discworld right now. I really wish the Witches series had hooked me better.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Screaming Idiot posted:

I like how as the series progresses otherworldly things begin to fade. Indeed, in Raising Steam the wizards and Sweeper only had token appearances -- appearances which I personally believe should have been cut out since they're pretty obvious notes from Pratchett to tell us, "Yes, these characters still exist, and they, too, are completely okay with non-magical, non-quantum engineering."
Eh, it's an interesting contrast to the bit in The Truth where the wizards actively try to interfere. Not written as well as it could have been, especially because The Truth had more Bursar, but I thought it was deliberately a parallel.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I gave my brother Guards Guards for his birthday. Last week he came for a visit and wanted another Pratchett dose so I borrowed him my copy of Mort.

I think I have him hooked. If not then a dose of Small Gods should do it.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

VagueRant posted:

I really liked Carrot as a bumbling character in Guards! Guards! who got into actual peril from being so good-natured and naive in a place that is so not. His transition to adored guy who kind of always succeeds at everything and is specifically not stupid got a bit stale for me. I guess some of that strong and capable but simple aspect got carried over to Detritus, but with less of the good-natured and trusting side that made him SO endearing

I wish he'd done more with Carrot and Vimes. My favorite Carrot moment is in The Fifth Elephant where Vimes was thinking about the way that Carrot's destiny warps the world around him, and wondering how he'd stand up to it if he had to. I wish that he had had to.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Didn't he sort of do that in the Last Hero? The Divine Right of Kings sort of says that Kings are favoured by the gods and he certainly was when he squared up against the entire silver horde and won.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ddraig posted:

Didn't he sort of do that in the Last Hero? The Divine Right of Kings sort of says that Kings are favoured by the gods and he certainly was when he squared up against the entire silver horde and won.
Didn't Cohen call that one out as the Code? One man, with a sword and a badge, against a bunch of men who have lived by the Code, and all that.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Yeah but Carrot basically saved the world. If that isn't destiny it's probably the next best thing.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ddraig posted:

Yeah but Carrot basically saved the world. If that isn't destiny it's probably the next best thing.

Half the characters have saved the world at least once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Started the missus on Going Postal, it was the only paperback I could find in a quick minute of looking and after one morning she's loving it already.