Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Krinkle posted:

I have basically been wondering, lately, where the gently caress the next discworld book is. I read them all in '06, and while he had been pumping one out a year for a while it's been none since 2005 that hasn't been a childrens book. drat :(

Making Money is out later this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

To me it seems like he's getting too fond of the characters to change things. I dont think he's ever killed off a major character and it doesent look like he intends too any time soon.

I think thats wnat makes Carrot a lot less interesting character these days than he was at the beginning, the natural progression for his character would be for Angua to leave or the Patrician to die but Terrys reluctant to make big changes to the world, so the character just stagnates.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Someone trying to top the patrician has been a common theme through most of the watch books anyhow. Guards Guards, Men at Arms (I think, I cant remember exactly what the plot was then) Feet of Clay, The Truth.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Harry Potter posted:

Believability on a disc-shaped world on the trunks of four elephants standing on a giant space-traveling turtle?

Thats the thing thats always struck me about the discworld books, they're believable but in a twisted way. I think Pratchetts even said something to this end himself. Unlike other fantasy novels they dont start from a normal place and then pile on weirdness, they start from a weird place and work backwords towards normality. You get Discworld by taking a premise like middle earth and asking all the obvious questions like "So why do Trolls turn to stone in sunlight?" and "Why are vampires always so thick?". Everything on the Discworld has to make sense in some internal way, he even came up with a reason for why you can have timezones on a flat planet.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

I liked him in The Colour of Magic. Since then he's been obnoxious.

Pratchett himself says Rincewind is a tricky character to write because he's so popular, but his motivation is to get as far away from trouble and live as boringly as possible, so he has to be shoehorned into the plot.

really, his story arc ended with the second book.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

Doesn't change the fact it looked ridiculously cheesy and looks like they couldn't splurge the budget for a mask that doesn't look unmovingly plastic.

I kind of interpreted it as Death making the mouth move anyway even if he doesn't need to. As a sort of humanizing gesture like him appearing when he doesn't need to do his job. Or just about everything in his house being stiff and stone, just looking right.

Ah well, I hate when my mental images are shattered.

Moving the mouth would look weird as hell without lips.

Reading this thread made me have a look to see if the Soul Music miniseries is up on YT, it is, but thae amination is worse than I remember it being. http://youtube.com/watch?v=oOrMcN6SfHY

e: Deaths voice acting is pretty perfect. Some of the others as not so much.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 10, 2008

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

amanvell posted:

One thing that I don't particularly like is how the wizards have gone from Let's not use magic because it would probably go wrong to (Thud) Let's strap a shitload of flying brooms onto your magic stagecoach that goes faster than the speed of sound and (Making Money) Just wait while I put away our super awesome cupboard that has infinite drawers and is controlled by Hex, and then we can arrange for you to speak to the dead.

I guess that it can't really be helped that the stories evolve over time, but there was something about these powerful wizards dealing with problems by ignoring them and arguing with each other.

The wizards dont really seem to like using magic for everything, but thats not to say they dont do it at all, they are wizards after all. The general rule seems to be that Pratchett hates when characters solve a plot problem "by magic" so the way he uses it reflects that.

Also, flying brooms seem very much at the more mundane end of the magical spectrum in the books.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I'm just wondering how long he's going to keep writing given his circumstances.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Vetinari does seem to be grooming him as a potential replacement, in my estimation.

I cant remember where I heard this but I think Terrys been asked about it and said that Moist doesent really have the killer instinct to be patrician.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Honestly between Carrot, Moist and Vimes the only real way I can see AM run after Vetinari is some combination of all three.

As Patrician though it would have to be Vimes, Carrot coming up as king would be really strange considering how much of Discworld is deconstructing happily ever after kindly king type stories and how much we've heard about Vimes despising kings.

I could see Moist doing it somehow if AM was an actual democracy, he's no despot but a talent for screwing with people and having them not mind makes him pretty perfectly electable.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Nilbop posted:

More like Lieutenant Ironfoundersson, haha.

No one believes me when I say this but I reckon House Hugh Laurie could rock the poo poo out of Vimes. Tenacious, cynical ex-alcoholic who gets on everyone importants nerves but gets the job done anyway? He's practically Vimes now.

It couldnt be an american in any case, Vimes is Dirty Harry influenced yeah, but he's a British parody of the american cop movie character.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Pyrolocutus posted:

Not anything about his books, but Terry Pratchett spoke recently about a House of Lords decision on assisted suicide, tying his Alzheimer's into the discussion. It's pretty sad. :smith:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1203622/Ill-die-endgame-says-Terry-Pratchett-law-allow-assisted-suicides-UK.html

Jesus Christ

quote:

I live in hope - hope that before the disease in my brain finally wipes it clean, I can jump before I am pushed and drag my evil Nemesis to its doom, like Sherlock Holmes and Moriarty locked in combat as they go over the waterfall.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Staggy posted:

With ore you dug up yourself, no less.

From a meteorite.

e; apparantly this is it

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I sorta like the mishmash of eras in the production design, because I like the idea that the Discworld isn't really a medieval-fantasy setting.

The rest of it ehhhhhhh.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Old Gurnface

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The troll bridge thing highlights an aspect of Pratchett adaptations, the amount of dialog makes them much more well suited for plays than fast paced movie/tv shows. The long conversation with the troll feels very stagey.

Also one of the key aspects of the Discworld is that it's late stage-Middle Earth/fantasy world after all the big epic battles have been fought, the heroes are old and the previously 'evil' races are all part of civilization now. There's a lot more description of offscreen action than there is action.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I can’t remember a single thing that happened in Raising Steam and thought Vimes was in it due to it having a very similar cover art to the also forgettable Snuff, and it’s made me hesitant to read Shepard’s Crown. I’d rather leave the series on a high.

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Um the band is just called Pixies

I’ve always hated this, the band themselves don’t even keep it consistent and their best of is called Death to the Pixies. You need to work harder than that if you’re going to make it a thing like say, Swans.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Feb 8, 2021