Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
I like the way that one-off gags and allusions in various books get spun off into full-blown novels; William de Worde is the most egregious, but there are a few others as well.

Of course, the biggest allusion of them all is that sooner or later the Patrician is going to die, and when he does - well, one suspects that will be the Last Ever Discworld Book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Krinkle posted:

I am going to wikipedia these but on the very likely event that wikipedia doesn't know what you're talking about, could you please elaborate? What is william de Worde from? What is the Patrician an allusion to?

William de Worde is from a footnote in a Discworld book that predates The Truth*, in which he is the main character, by several years - I'm very sorry, but I honestly can't recall which one.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Captain Hero posted:

Edit: Making Money is out on September 1st.

I'm a little iffy about this - we've already had two "jerk with a heart of gold introduces a MODERN THING" books.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Krinkle posted:

so because every time vetinari has been taken out of power things go to poo poo, this and only this is why you feel he is inevitably going to die? Not because of some poem "the death of the patrician" or from Herodotus's histories or something? Because you said it was an allusion and I asked what it was alluding to and nobody answered.

The allusion is to the death of the Patrician, which nobody in the series has ever actually come out and talked about but is clearly the elephant in the room of Ankh-Morpork politics. Characters discuss that Carrot is clearly the rightful king, that there's more going on with him than initially apparent, that the Patrician has no clear arrangements for sucession, that he's rather key to running the city, that's he's getting on in years and that Vimes offed the last king of Ankh-Morpork, frequently without much relevance to the actual plot of the book in question. They don't need to come out and "OH NO I HOPE THE PATRICIAN DOESN'T DIE AS THAT WOULD CLEARLY LEAD TO A VIMES/CARROT DEATH DUEL ON TOP OF THE TOWER OF ART" for it to something that they frequently allude to - that is, an allusion.

I'm not sure why you're being so confrontational.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Leospeare posted:

As someone else mentioned, Neil Gaiman's Sandman series has Death as a character, though she couldn't possibly be any further removed from Pratchett's death (which incidentally is inspired, like so many other Grim Reapers, from Ingmar Bergman's The Seventh Seal).

There is sort of a shared archetype which crops up quite frequently in a lot of that sort of thing: Death Is Quite Nice And Acts Like A Person Where Possible Even Though He/She Is Not A Person, but the implementation is quite different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
That bit in Thud where Vimes thinks about how his life is too good and how he knows there's a great dark wave coming to sweep it all away still gives me chills.