Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

ConfusedUs posted:

It's pretty bad when "mauled by a werewolf" is better than the alternative.

Nailed up by their figgin. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

mllaneza posted:

Granny Weatherwax. Uh oh. Unless she's in it to mentor Tiffany Aching, then someone's in trouble. If not the entire Disc.

Hot drat !

Odds on Granny dying....

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Shonagon posted:

Clearly - the old woman is wearing Tiffany's silver horse necklace, isn't she?

It looks like a rabbit broach to me - it's too solid to be the horse, and it's holding the cloak together.

EDIT: She does still look like an older Tiffany though.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 26, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Nilbop posted:

He'd have to turn it into a loving horror book to find something that can kill Sam Vimes.

Vimes is getting older, and he's human. As far as his will and sense of justice takes him, he can still die to a stab through the heart. Or even just a heart attack. :(

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

AXE COP posted:

I've read every Discworld book and a fair few other things of his like Strata. Unseen Academicals and ISWM felt like someone writing Pratchett fanfiction.

I liked both books, but I definitely agree with this, especially parts of ISMW. The voice seemed off, what would have been deftly and wittily handled in previous books seemed to be displayed blatantly and clumsily... honestly I think it's a side effect of both books being narrated, which makes me :smith: as the problems are just going to get worse.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Cacto posted:

because they don't even recognise gender.

..except when their children dare to THIS IS THE JOKE/ALLUSION

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

jfjnpxmy posted:

Isn't I Shall Wear Midnight one of his Younger People Discworld books? The writing in them tends to be a bit basic.

It's not that it's basic, it's that something about the writing in ISWM is... off. Other people have explained it better than I can, but it's odd even compared to the other Tiffany Aching books. Which, by the way, I wouldn't describe as "basic".

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Hungry Bit posted:

Well okay this doesn't mean he's actually going to go through with the whole assisted suicide thing but somehow this still manages to depress me greatly.

It's depressing that he's going to die, but I'm 100% behind his decision to choose the time and manor of his death, and to die with dignity.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

It's weird how you remember details wrong in books, I could have sworn there was a part where Vimes and Ned Coates have a quiet moment and talk about how he's from the future and some other stuff. Unless I skipped a couple pages it was only 1 sentence and it was Coates thinking Vimes was from the past rather than the future.

There is, it's in a breif lull in the climactic street fight between the Watch and Carcer's Unmentionables.

Night Watch posted:

Vimes hesitated. But at a time like this, what difference did it make?

"I'm from this city," said Vimes. "But, oh, there was a hole in time, something like that. You want to know? I travelled here in time, Ned, and that's the truth."

Ned Coates looked him up and down. Blood covered Vimes's armour, and his hands, and half his face, and he was holding a bloody sword in his hand,

"From how far back?" he said.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

Glad he revealed that Drumknott is in so early because without him there was no way I was going to buy this book.

I hope the question of which type of folder is best is cleared up once and for all!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

They had a physical copy of the Snuff preview pages in Waterstones, so I took a look. Not sure what everyone's complaining about, seemed okay to me.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I'm not sure why people are confused about who/what Stinky is.

He's the Evil Goblin from the storybook. The one mentioned in I shall wear midnight and again in the latest book. Stinky pretty much tells Vimes this near the end. Something like "Naughty boy sees evil goblin, evil goblin sees naughty boy - just as well we both right". He's a minor supernatural being because of all the fear and belief from all those children across the disc.

Of course he might also be some sort of goblin mythical figure, but if he is, he's also the goblin from the book.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

I've never thought of it in those exact terms, but now that I hear it, "Teddy Roosevelt the Wizard" is really drat close to how I pictured him too.

I always imagined him as basically being Brian Blessed.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I was just at a "flash mob" for The Long Earth in Trafalgar Square.

I was on my lunch break so didn't have much time, but it was just a small group of goony looking types (at least two fedoras) standing around waiting for something to happen.

I got a badge out of it I guess.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

The Supreme Court posted:

I got it as a present and was marginally worried that it'd be a cheap cash in, but it's a great fun game first and a pretty cool Discworld thing second

This. I was stunned by how well designed it was as a game. You could strip all the Discworld stuff out and it would still be a good board game, just not as fun or funny. I've played it with people that haven't read any Pratchett and they had a blast. Definitely pick it up if you can.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Finished Long Earth, and while I enjoyed it, I thought it was all setting with no real tension. Everything gets resolved neatly at the end, with no real effort on any character's part. They're mostly just along for the ride.

Thinking about it now the Long Earth setting really reminds me of Ringworld.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I like to think that the Wizards thought they were getting David Attenborough.

What they actually got was Brian Blessed.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

freebooter posted:

Yep me too just a little bit.

I think the day he's talking about is not too far off, :smith:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

The ever amazing Boulet just put up some fantastic Nanny Ogg fanart.

:3:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Trin Tragula posted:

And the bit where Vetinari decides the appropriate course of action is to arrange things so that he can justify nationalising it...?

Actually, Vetinari doesn't nationalise the clacks. It ends with it the hands of the Dearheart family AFAIK.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

AlphaDog posted:

Yeah, but I was picturing the existing Assassins as the protagonists and the newcomers being less... moral isn't the word, maybe I'm looking for "restrained".

I doubt Vetinari would take kindly to a shadow war of assassinations.

Actually, no, wait, he would probably enjoy it up until the point it started interfering with the day to day life of the city, which of course it would inevitably do.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Trin Tragula posted:

One of my favourite Pratchett quotes.

And also why Vetinari's nickname at school is "Dog Botherer"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

And I now can't stop picturing Peter Serafinowicz as Crowley. It works really well, actually.

I tried listening to the audiobook but Serafinowicz's voice is why I stopped. He's just too.. smooth and evil. I always pictured Crowley as more.. I don't know, sort of casual in his delivery. It's just a job for him after all.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Hogge Wild posted:

Motto: "Don't fear the Reaper".

I just know, KNOW that this coat of arms is full of puns, asides from the obvious Anhk and Morepork.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I never got the hate for Monstrous Regiment.

Raising Steam and Snuff are just awful.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Kitchner posted:

The Fifth Element - Wolfgang is introduced and labeled as the antagonist pretty much straight away

The whodunnit part of The Fifth Element is "Who stole the Scone of Stone, why did they steal it and where is it now?"

edit: Vimes even remarks that it's a Locked Room mystery, except some bugger left the door unlocked and all the windows open

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

The best hidden reference in Soul Music is still that Death arrives for the finale "in a coat he borrowed from [the] Dean."

Holy poo poo

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

The worst of news. :(

RIP Terry

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Carpe Jugulum also has Mightily Oats in it, and his character arc is rad as hell.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Monsterous Regiment is about systems that have broken down and failed the people that they are supposed to serve. Military, governmental, religious, all have completely failed.

Also it's about internalized sexism and deeply ingrained patriarchal thinking.

It's a great book.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

VagueRant posted:

Okay, now that I have finished that book I can finally ask - that scary horror-movie face is meant to be Jackrum?! Why does it look like a nightmare monster that will eat me while laughing?

Monsterous Regiment posted:

The fire gleamed off Jackrum’s triumphal face. In the red glow his little dark eyes were like holes in space, his grinning mouth the gateway to a hell, his bulk some monster from the Abyss.
Poor old soldier, her father and his friends had sung, while frost formed on the window panes, poor old soldier! If ever I ‘list for a soldier again … the devil shall be my sergeant!
In the firelight the grin of Sergeant Jackrum was a crescent of blood, his coat the colour of a battlefield sky. ‘You are my little lads,’ he roared. ‘And I will look after you.’

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

It's just a tremendous shame no-one will write them.

:smith:

At least they exist somewhere.

Small Gods posted:

“No other library anywhere, for example, has a whole gallery of unwritten books - books that would have been written if the author hadn't been eaten by an alligator around chapter 1, and so on. Atlases of imaginary places. Dictionaries of illusory words. Spotter's guides to invisible things. Wild thesauri in the Lost Reading Room. A library so big that it distorts reality and has opened gateways to all other libraries, everywhere and everywhen...”

:unsmith:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

Gaiman's Death is a pretentious masturbatory fantasy..

hm yes pretentious

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Monstrous Regiment is one of my favourite Pratchett books, I was surprised to see it getting hate itt

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Khizan posted:

I feel like the ending was too contrived and farcical to really fit the book

Could you expand on this? The supernatural bits, or the courtroom reveal? Both of which seemed okay to me.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

You have some really weird opinions, mainly about Nanny Ogg, who is quite frankly The Best.

Edit; Wyrd Sisters is very much a Shakespeare parody, so YMMV

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

The disassociation scene on the beach in Nation is easily one of the most grim things he's ever written

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Can't wait to meet Nobby Nobbs, the dashing adventurer with a dark secret

EDIT: and his best friend, Sgt Colon, 5 time Anhk-Morepork weightlifting champ and part time opera singer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Shepard's Crown and Raising Steam are both bad