Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Call me crazy, I finished UA (Not his best but I enjoyed it dammit!) but isn't Dr Lawn a quite obvious Dr House reference?

I am looking forward to this Sky Production of Making Money now that I've seen Moist and he doesn't look some ancient wanker from an overrated seventies comedy.

EDIT: Voices wise, The Discworld games had an excellent voice for Vetinarii and Ridcully and a few other characters. I can't picture Rincewind not sound like a whinier Eric Idle too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

shadok posted:

Dr. Lawn was introduced in Night Watch, published in 2002. House debuted on Fox in the fall of 2004.

To be fair, I haven't read Night Watch since late 2003.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Welsh Carrot is the only way to go, yeah.

The art style in the first two Discworld games is completely blown out of the water by the new Paul Kidby stuff.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Kirbys stuff had eighties fantasy charm but he always drew characters as generic looking Wizard/Witch.

Rincewind on several covers seems to have aged several decades ahead from the story.

Anywho, I think Terry may call it a day on the fortieth book and may reward us with another light Last Hero book or a couple of Troll Bridge style compilations.

It is such a shame he won't be able to make it to fifty :(.

Anyone think we might get another Mr Nutt book or perhaps a final Watch/Death related one? Brother Oak the Omnian Priest sounds like he might get one too.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 24, 2010

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Vetinari posted:

Well, he has 3 more books to go through before reaching 40. It seems he has enough material left for those.

The next one will be a Tiffany Aching story, which will probably be her final coming-of-age story into full witch-hood. That would be a good way to end the witches storyline, her being Granny's successor.

Then comes Raising Taxes, which is going to be about Lipwig's government work. I could see that one being the last of the Ankh-Morpork stories. Vetinari has been potentially grooming Vimes, Carrot and Moist to run the city if he ever stepped down, and all 3 could do it for different reasons. I could see that being the finale for the politics of Ankh-Morpork storylines.

Then comes the 40th book, which has no plot or anything (but has a working title of Scouting for Trolls).

If Pratchett is a forward thinker, and I think he is, he'll start wrapping up the plot threads soon. I could see him making the Final Discworld Book be Rincewind's Final Adventure, nicely capping the series from beginning to end. This could also serve as a Death book, as he and Rincewind have a history. The Last Hero would've been a good one to end it all on, but fortunately he was able to keep going.

I'm surprised he hasn't used the loophole of Lu-Tze and the Time Monks to clear up the earlier plotholes from the first books, maybe he still will to make the entire series more flowing and cohesive.

Heh, the last one sounds the most interesting to me. I personally think Soul Music was one of his best but thats just me y'know?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Call me an old sop but the mental image of Death standing proud about to strike a fantasy electric guitar with a broken glimmering pick that was part of his broken scythe blade makes me all :black101: inside.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Vetinari posted:

It occurs to me that Pratchett CAN do good one-shot characters.

The Truth, Wee Free Men, Small Gods, Going Postal, these produced good new characters to the Discworld. And in the case of Postal/Wee Free, produced one popular enough to return.

Monstrous Regiment is sort of on the fence, Polly was interesting but the story fell apart in the last half, sadly.

I would have reread that if the ending wasn't everyone is womminz! it seriously threw me off having to reimagine everyone in those last few scenes.

And I think the Wizards actually going all Gandalf in Reaper Man is awesome. I can't get into the Tiffany Aching series too though. Some dick in the City of Heroes forums once pointed out Pratchetts difficulty in writing female characters and I can't shake that comment off.

Anyone else got slightly creeped out in Thud! with the whole naked Angua and Sally covered in mud underneath the Strip Club bit?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Ah, so it was mocking fan fiction eh? I keep forgetting how on the ball Pratchett is about IT stuff despite getting all the Hex jokes.

I think he should just stick with Ridcully and Granny Weatherwax musing about times going by relationship wise.

I'll forgive MR mostly because of that awesome cover. I do wish some sort of primative firearms would finally make the scene because I really can't picture all this chainmail and battle axes on non Dwarvian characters now.

Stupid Dr Cruces.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

At least Cheery is kinda unique.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Thats true. In the end we all love them equally. Because despite the fact they share the same simularities each to their own is unique.

I find it hilarious as well that Nobby Nobbs isn't on that list. He never is.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Cacto posted:

Nobby Nobbs isn't really ever a character - more a running joke. He has a lot in common with Rincewind, though. They're both cowardly, devious, and generally treated with contempt. Both have gimmicks to differentiate, but they're still made from the same template.

It's pretty common for writers to write the same characters every time. You write what you know after all.
Well, Rincewind has a little more 'krisma.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Oh god I need a stiff drink after that article. I honestly think we will never see another Pratchett again too :ohdear:.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Started reading Reaper Man again and I forgot how adorible Death acted getting his own hour glass.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

John Dough posted:

I'm reading Soul Music now. 'He can't stop us. We're on a mission from Glod'.

'I'm mean and turf and I'm mean and turf and I'm mean
and turf and I'm mean and turf,
And me an' my friends can walk towards you with our
hats on backwards in a menacing way,
Yo!'

Shame rat music never took off.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Here is a tip for those who love Soul Music. Don't watch the horrible animated cartoon TV movie. Seriously, it is MST3K bait to the full.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Sophia posted:

I didn't think it was THAT bad. Certainly not the worst thing ever created. And they did a great job with the song at the end, I thought - captured the mood of what Pratchett was going for as well as you can when faced with such an impossible task.

Plus Christopher Lee as Death always rules.

The art style grated my tits to be fair. And it was more Soul Music abridged with some excellent bits cut out. The Death of Rats looked like a coked out Lizard that a skeleton of a deceased rodent.

I would also disagree on a Discworld succession. It should die with Pratchett as I don't trust such a lovely series in the hands with anyone not born before the fifties. The post Douglas Adams Hitchhikers Guide books are awful.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

SaintFu posted:

All one of them?

There were several written under the licence after his death. Associated with the name and property.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I meant the Eoin Colfer ones yeah.

I can't think of any author now that can be as pleasantly witty as Terry though. I would like to see all the books done in graphic novel form. I remember reading Mort and Light Fantastic first as graphic novels before I really got into the books.

My mum loves Witches Abroad. It is her favourite.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

John Dough posted:

Soul Music continues to shine.

"Are you the Watch?"
"No Ma'am. We're musicians."

Hathathathat.

The thugs the Musicians Guild hired to try and kill them after the Cavern is part of a moment that needs illustration dammit. Sequin covered daggers!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

John Dough posted:

TAKE IT FROM THE TOP?

Oh noooooooooooooo!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The term Clickies still makes me grin.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I wouldn't say it was one joke, I figuire it is more of a general parody and overlook at what the subject is and the detritus that surrounds it myself.

I still enjoy them dammit.

Also, Team University t-shirt. Wizzards 4 life.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Moggity posted:

I would buy this. It's for those of us who have read the book with the vampires in it. I won't spoil it for the rest of you though.

God I love that moment so much, so very :britain:.

Carpe Jugulum is one of my favourite Witches books next to Abroad and Wyrd Sisters.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Nilbop posted:

I don't even know what Pepe was meant to be.

Apart from psychotic.

I think he was an abnormally small Morporkian. Also why the hell is this thread rating bronze?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

When is that coming out on SKY?

Also, anyone vaguely read his earlier non Discworld novels? I can scaresly remember the Carpet People.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Johnny and the Dead had an awesome kids TV series on ITV in the mid nineties I do recall too.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Nilbop posted:

Everything about cats is weird.

Death likes cats. You calling him weird?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

John Charity Spring posted:

I've not read the cat book but from all the mentions of cats in his other works he comes across as being very fond of cats and all their, well, let's be charitable and call them foibles.

Let be honest, Cats have the same eccenricness and odd cruel streaks that remind us of our own little species .

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

BELL END posted:

I plan on reading the discworld novels in publication order, is Eric worth bothering with? I understand it was originally released as a graphic novel like The Last Hero but it's only available now in paperback with all the pictures omitted, it's really short and by all accounts not all that good. Shall I just skip it or should I read it anyway?

Eh, Eric is okay. But it is pretty much 'Whacky Travels with Rincewind'.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

Come on the chapters with Hell are quite funny.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. It also reveals a pretty amusing ancestor of Rincewind too.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Spigs posted:

Any consensus on which of the Witches books are best? I read Carpe Jugularum and wasn't thrilled with it. Are the rest of them similar or is there a better one I should check out?

Witches Abroad. Witches Abroard. Witches. Abroad.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Nilbop posted:

I've never read a Witches book past Equal Rites because I disliked it so, so much.

I should probably get around to doing so.

Equal Rites is a pretty early one, and I can't blame you as it is a pretty slow one to start and slog through.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The Relentless posted:

And after Maskerade, how could you not like Nanny Ogg!

Nanny Ogg is epic. And teaches us all such an important lesson in life.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I want Guards! Guards! next too. And Men At Arms in a few years afterwards.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

BELL END posted:

Josh Kirby drew him as an old guy on the original covers but I know what you mean. I still imagine Rincewind as a young ginger haired bloke with the voice of Eric Idle because the first exposure I had to Discworld was with the PC game.

Same here, Pratchett even intends him to be young as he is the magical version a community college drop out in his early twenties at the start of it all.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I quite believe it is in character for him as he simply fixes a problem with what sees as an obvious solution.

I also love it when Vimes tears Rust a new one.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

bitterandtwisted posted:

Me too. Who would make a good Vimes? Is Tony Robinson too old to play Nobby?

Alas, he is. Who voiced him in Discworld Noir, he was pretty much my version of Nobby these days.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Started reading The Truth again for the first time in years, one of my personal favourites :).

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Night Watch is quite revolutionary!

See what I did there?

Seriously. It is a great 'What did the non Ankh-Morpork Rincewind characters do when they were younger?' book. And Vimes is always angry and just.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Indeed! I'm somewhat embarrassed to say; it'll be the first Discworld book I've actually re-read.

I hope that isn't a bad thing, I've reread half of Pratchetts early stuff at least two or three times.

Almost done with The Truth, I love how Pin and Tulip are two Anglo-American organised crime stereotypes with their own slight unique touches.