Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

I blame the History Monks.

It's the History you get these days. Very shoddy stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Deki posted:

Just saw going postal finally, and it was really good. Makes me excited for the watch show if it comes out.

And now that Tywin Lannister has been assassinated in GoT, Charles Dance can come and play Vetinari. :dance:

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
With the exception of The Shepherd's Crown, for obvious reasons, I feel the Aching books were better because they focussed on an interesting, likeable character, and were buttressed by simple, clear character arcs in each book.

By comparison, Snuff and Raising Steam were books about ideas--civil rights and the Industrial Revolution (kinda sorta)--with Vimes and Lipwig acting as more of a narrator who interacts with the story at large, instead of the focus of a story that had a lot of interesting things going on in the background (e.g. Fifth Elephant and Going Postal). It goes without saying that writing a story about an abstract concept instead of a character is more difficult at the best of times. I suspect that Pterry had a great deal he wanted to say about those things, but felt he didn't have the time to weave them into a story about a person, the way he did with The Truth, with the result that his later books were less compelling.

Bah, this thread is so long, someone's bound to have pointed this all out already.

I found Unseen Academicals forgettable--literally. The only thing I remember was that there was an orc in it, and something about football.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

e X posted:

Iirc, Vimes and Sybil are going to spent some time in the Ramkin country house and all the (female) servants there are incredible servile, i.e. never making eye-contact, never talking with him, which of course, grates him to no end since it makes him feel like an aristocrat. He tries to kind of force them to interact with them, which doesn't work at all, and than Sybil calls him out, explaining that this no contact business is actually for the benefit of the women, since it stops the lords from abusing them.

It's been awhile since I read the book, so maybe I got some details wrong, but the entire thing comes of as incredible awkward.

Wasn't this actually a thing, though? Naive young noblemen and impressionable housemaids falling in love was a bad time for everyone involved. Having the housemaids turn and face the wall whenever a member of the family went past certainly wasn't a great solution, but must have done something, or the practice wouldn't have caught on.

I guess it's possible Sybil was sugarcoating things, but I didn't read anything in particular about "abuse".

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

I always thought that sidestory merely served to reinforce the greater "the nobs are untouchable" issue that Vimes rails against and eventually overcomes -- more or less.

Oh, it absolutely does that too. My point was that it was reference to an historical situation rather than some weird fantasy Pratchett made up.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
I don't think Vimes really fits the noir protagonist archetype all that well, but I guess if you stretched the label a bit you could kinda sorta make it fit to Night Watch. I've always just thought of it as a riff on Les Mis. Certainly, noir tends towards melodrama; Night Watch's events are quite momentous by comparison.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Rush Limbo posted:

He would also be a good pick. Probably better than Billy, tbh.

What's wrong with Timothy West? :confused:

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm listening to the Feet of Clay audiobook after finally getting all my CDs, and I'm thinking, wow, Angua would sound a lot better if Planer gave her a Russian accent instead of pitching her at about the same place Magrat comes from.

I don't know about a Russian accent, but Stephen Briggs certainly does much better with her.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

The one thread I thought I could be free in. THE ONE THREAD.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
In principle, sure, but everything's got so bloody serious over the last year and a half. Gone are the days when both sides yell and call each other names then nip out the back for a quiet pint afterwards.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

As I said, those privileged few who previously enjoyed the comfort of a life secure from the whims of policy now find themselves unsettled and worrying that they might not be so safe anymore.

I'm unsympathetic to their discomfort and the complaint that "everything is so political now," because what is a new experience for them has always been the day-to-day reality for marginalized people.

Look, I'm not unsympathetic, but I don't think the solution to a group of people being hard done by in a society is a race to the bottom for everyone.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

You're right, that's not a solution, but it's also not what's happening. There's a difference between being civil and being just. Too often, people comfortable with the status quo mistake abandoning courtesy in the pursuit of justice for an injustice. It's not.

"Abandoning courtesy"... what a delightfully empty and innocuous description of what's been happening over the past two years. People are free to be rude; I object to them throwing things and beating each other up.

And, I don't dispute that there's a difference between civility and justice, but the former tends to lead to the latter. It's a regrettable fact of human psychology that we're more likely to care if injustices happen to people we like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
Yeah mea culpa, I should have just ignored it but was in an argumentative mood and broke my own rules.