Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

mentor07825 posted:

It really is sad about his condition :( I've never cried over a celebraty's death but I know that when I hear of Terry Pratchett's passing I'm going to bawl my eyes all over the place :'(

I didn't know about that one, I will absolutely keep a lookout for Nation. Thank you for giving me the heads up man!!! I would've been ignorant of its existence otherwise if you haven't told me :( Thank you!

I enjoy those books. Especially Thud! When that book had all the criminals being nice just to avoid the poo poo storm that Vimes would give when he came back was hilarious!! It also just goes to show how diabolical the Vetinari really is as well, or at least further into him. I don't think we've hit what he really is all about.

I'll keep a look out for Snuff though :) Thanky you!

Sad thing is though, he probably isn't going to die anytime soon. He'll just forget how to write the books and who Vimes is and who he is himself and then he's going to live like five years more and that sucks even more. Such a loving useless disease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Maggie Smith as Granny Weatherwax.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
I remember reading Soul Music in swedish and being kinda confused over the names of some of the characters, partly because the pun-based names didn't translate very well, and partly because I was too young to know who Buddy Holly was.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Jedit posted:

OK, now where's the other six books?

The Last Hero, TAMAHER and the first four Tiffany Aching books. :colbert:

Also missing are the bad science of Discworld books.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Segway Rave posted:

Read his short story in Legends: Short Novels by the Masters of Modern Fantasy, then stop.

Hey, I've never heard of this! Awesome.

e: And she was married. Nanny had nothing against witches being married. It wasn't as if there were rules. She herself had had many husbands, and had even been married to three of them.

Man, I love Nanny Ogg.

Syncopated fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Sep 15, 2017

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
The moment when Om hits Vorbis in the face at the end of the book and people start really believing gives me chills just thinking about it. Might be my favorite ending of all the books? Idk.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Xander77 posted:

There are a lot of little jabs / callbacks to British Napoleonic / Victorian wars / war fiction which will probably sail over a lot of heads.

Hell, I'm still missing a few - there's a bit in which Jackrum rattles a few references to the Battle of Balaclava in a row, then talk about "getting back the flag from 4 real bastards", and I haven't been able to figure out what's he's referencing, despite asking around for years.

Anyways, the only discworld books you should skip are the first 2 and the last 2. Oh, and the Science of Discworld books.

The first two Science books are not bad, except as starting points for the series I guess.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

The rare Buggre All This Good Omens!

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I don't see how that relates to Sir Terry, an author who at his best resembles Vance on an off-day:

Seriously, this bit represents Sir Terry at his best, and it reads like a forgettable chapter in a Cugel book.

That's hardly the best part of Small Gods.