Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I'm in the category of the people saying "the more recent stuff just hasn't been up to par." I think Pratchett somehow managed to hit two high water marks - once in Small Gods and once in Night Watch - but UA and ISWM were both just... not very good. ISWM suffers from one gigantic flaw, for me: the word whore, (unspoilered because I was wrong, see below) which, considering Nanny Ogg and the seamstresses exist and no one uses it about them, just didn't exist on the Disc for me.
Overall the decline in quality has been partially the fault of editors, who as said earlier probably don't want to tell their friend that he's not as good as he used to be, but they really need to and I believe in Once Again* he comments on how much he appreciates his editors.
Nation was really good though.

*with footnotes

VVV You are right and I was wrong. I read the last five pages of the thread and didn't see any discussion about it, my bad. Edit 2: Also, I just re-read ISWM and while Esk and Time Traveling Tiffany could quite reasonably be removed for the better - Tiffany could experience a flash of foreknowledge about her future (as magical folk already do) to see the Hare pendant instead of talking to her future self - it is actually a much better novel than I initially thought. My problems were mainly that the themes and events were too mature for something meant for 10-13 year olds, but I realize now, thanks partially to this thread, that it is meant for an audience older than that. And the language issue is also moot as Tiffany and Preston both love talking about words, tying into what made Tiffany unique in the earlier stories so using a word like "whore" in the context of definitions shifting over time works fine.

VanSandman fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Sep 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

GloomMouse posted:

Just finished the book, and I agree with everything Mandragora said. Also, Willikins appears to have been replaced by a completely different person with the same name.

I suppose it's a logical progression of Willikins' character, but he was too familiar for a gentleman's gentleman I think.
The prose is definitely a weak point, but it was nice seeing Vimes completely out of his element. Was anyone else bothered by the distances covered? It seems like Vimes was traveling waaaay too fast sometimes.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Has anyone ever noticed the interesting career Boggis, head of the thieves guild has had? He was introduced in Wyrd Sisters, as a bit part (he mugs Verence), and then he was involved with the dragon incident as a co-conspirator (the one that got away) and eventually he ended up as chief thief. It would be cool to read that book.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Is there any official word on Carrot and Angua's relationship? Are they married or do they simply have an understanding or what?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

precision posted:

I swear there used to be a Flash version of the Thud! boardgame, but it looks like it's been taken down. Shame, it's fun.

I own a Thud board - I have never played a game. I look at the pieces, sometimes, and wonder what it's like to play.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Reaper Man is great, and easily my favorite Death book.
Everything is fine up until the drat mall.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

precision posted:

Well I haven't read it in a long time, I think that I just didn't like that it was short and felt a bit lacking in the usual amount of meaty material.

The appeal of The Last Hero, for me, was the beautiful illustrations. Everything else was secondary.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Rand Brittain posted:

Speaking of Death's ALL CAPS, which voices do people like best for Death? I find that most of the people doing Death tend to overdo the exaggerated bass in a way that makes it hard to emote and comes out stiff.

I really liked whoever it was that did Death in the full-cast recording of Thief of Time, who was just very, very calm and measured. (Although, that one had plenty of other problems, most notably that the person reading Susan's sections did a bad Lobsang and the person doing Lobsang's sections did a bad Susan. Then again, Stephen Briggs does everybody from the monastery with a bad Chinese accent, so we have to count our blessings.)

Death doesn't emote much.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Jo Brand is obviously Nanny Ogg though, right?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Thud! had some good villains because they were religious true believers, not psychopaths.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Beachcomber posted:

Don't get too hyped up or you might be disappointed. Nation is fine, I guess.

Nation has an amazing start and an okay finish.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Nihilarian posted:

IMo the cast is too pretty in general - though Vimes is better than i thought - but man, Sybil just rubs it in

Does the UK have a shortage of solidly built middle aged women or something?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
The magic in a Discworld book is the inner monologue of the characters and the narration. They don't make good adaptations because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Testekill posted:

I'll try and check out the first episode or two but I can't imagine I'd stick with it much longer. It just doesn't look like it'd be particularily entertaining or funny.

If it were an original series I'd be very interested.