Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Eh, I don't think it's pushing capitalism, though that was a part of the narrative. The book was more about acceptance, and trying to make change better for everyone.

Also, will the next book be a mystery book on a train? I mean, we could see more of the __gnomes__ now too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

BurgerQuest posted:

I don't know how to describe how I feel about Raising Steam. It kind of feels like I'm reading fanfic. Just not feeling right, and not finding much humour in it either. Not hating it, but meh. Especially not enjoying the Moist and "Spike" relationship.

Fanfiction.net posted:

"Sam," she interrupted. "I know." She smiled gently. "It's ok, I know what you're like with work. If I didn't understand I wouldn't have married you." She walked towards him and Vimes noticed that she seemed more….dressy….than usual. Stopping in front of him, Sybil reached up and threaded her fingers through his hair softly. Her smile widened at his obvious confusion.

---

At his confusion she thought again. "Ah. Another notch in your bedpost?"

"You know it's much more than that. I wish I could stay." He found he really meant this. He bent to pick up a small box, and then carefully placed it in her hands.

"Vat is this?" She opened it suspiciously, and pulled out an ornate little scroll. "Some kind of stupid poem?"

It was a square thirty letters on a side, with white and black spaces.

"A word-game puzzle. I have devised your first four names into it. I thought you might like it on a long night."

---

Sam sat outside the palace, looking at the sky. He thought over what Havelock had said.

"When a man and a woman love each other very much, they decide to have a baby. They woman undergoes something called 'pregnancy'. This is were the woman carries the baby in her womb for nine months. Then after these nine months go by, the baby is born."

"But Uncle Havelock, how is the baby put in her 'womb'?"

Havelock looked at him. "Its just goes there."

[url="https://#"]Link removed, just looking at the titles was bad enough.[/url]

Looking at fanfiction.net, I can't agree that the quality of his writing is that bad. I still can feel the characters as characters and not cutouts. There are some things that do feel off, like Spike quitting smoking with no mention? But I still feel that the books do stand on their own.

Though, "Thief of Time" is still the book I like best. I just might have weird taste?

SystemLogoff fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Dec 2, 2013

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Well, the King being the Queen has been known about much, much longer than before Raising Steam. It's not really meant to be a surprise.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-order-guides/the-discworld-reading-order-guide-20.jpg

For each series: Sorcery, Wyrd Sisters, Reaper Man, Guards! Guards!. It's in these four the discworld starts to become whole.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Yeah, when I read Reaper Man I commit the terrible sin of skimming all the non-Bill-Door stuff. Mostly because Bill Door is such a charming man.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I think I was 16 with Thief of time, then I went back and read the other Death Books. Then the Witch Books, Then the Watch Books, Then the Making Money Books...

I don't think I've read all the Wizard books, I just don't care for them. :(

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I love how he kinda takes it all until he sees the little match-stick girl

Then he's just mad, and it's great.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Read Equal Rites later, skip right into Wyrd Sisters.

(Laugh your rear end off at Witches Abroad)

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

fluppet posted:

I can't quite bring myself to make a start on the shepherd's crown. I don't want there not to be another discworld book to read

It's really very good.

You're uh, going to cry reading it. Just a heads up.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I got through Color of Magic, then picked Thief of Time for my second book.

Yep. Susan, the monks, auditors, Soak...

It was the best. :allears:

I think Thief of Time is the best spoiler filled book to start with.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Just read Thief of time first like I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Rand Brittain posted:

As far as reading order I would vaguely advise reading the internal storylines in their respective order, but if you don't it doesn't really matter.

So:

DEATH:
Mort
Reaper Man
Soul Music
Hogfather
Thief of Time