Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I have basically been wondering, lately, where the gently caress the next discworld book is. I read them all in '06, and while he had been pumping one out a year for a while it's been none since 2005 that hasn't been a childrens book. drat :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I liked monstrous regiment. The thing you are all complaining about... I have no loving clue why that bothers any of you. It made complete sense in the context of the story.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Trouble Man posted:

I like the way that one-off gags and allusions in various books get spun off into full-blown novels; William de Worde is the most egregious, but there are a few others as well.

Of course, the biggest allusion of them all is that sooner or later the Patrician is going to die, and when he does - well, one suspects that will be the Last Ever Discworld Book.

I am going to wikipedia these but on the very likely event that wikipedia doesn't know what you're talking about, could you please elaborate? What is william de Worde from? What is the Patrician an allusion to?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

so because every time vetinari has been taken out of power things go to poo poo, this and only this is why you feel he is inevitably going to die? Not because of some poem "the death of the patrician" or from Herodotus's histories or something? Because you said it was an allusion and I asked what it was alluding to and nobody answered.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Trouble Man posted:

I'm not sure why you're being so confrontational.

Basically I haven't read as much classical literature as I wish I had time for, so any time I think people are talking over my head referencing the rhyme of the ancient mariner or something I get a little testy.

I am reading through all quiet on the western front right now to rectify this but I was completely sure from your context you were saying "hey, here is some extra layer of enjoyment that only people who have read X can enjoy. Lets all enjoy this but not actually say what it is to keep the hoi polloi out of our fun."

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

ConConHead posted:

Yay Prachett Thread.

I have the Hogsfather DVD but it's Region 2. drat my american DVD player, I can't watch it.

That said...
What's this about someone playing Rincewind? Is there another adaptation in the works? I've read the scrip for Hogsfather and seen the production photos, so I know it's pretty darn faithful.

can you watch it on your computer? The adaptation is for the colour of magic

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

LooseChanj posted:

I need to get back into discworld. I got soured on Moving Pictures by the Flintstonish shoehorning going on with the Holywood stuff. Really, imps painting on the film? Guh.

That was the only one where I really didn't enjoy it and was hoping for it to hurry the gently caress up and end.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Ferrinus posted:

Everyone says Monstrous Regiment is bad but really it was good :(

I agree, man. I liked that book too :(

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Keshik posted:

And I thought I was bad.

I think this may come someday with Rincewind becoming Archchancellor or something. The reason for the continued stability of the University is that nobody can seem to kill Ridcully. The only other character in the series we know is drat near impossible to kill is Rincewind. I'd imagine Ridcully dying in a hunting accident or some such thing. Dunno.

While on the subject of older characters, does anyone remember if Djelibeybi has been mentioned even in passing in any of his books since Pyramids?

I think Brian Blessed would have made a great Ridcully. I always think of him in a robe when I read about Ridcully. Also, I didn't realize Djelibeybi was a pun because we call them jelly beans over here. I mean even after I started pronouncing it right I didn't get that it was what it was.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

dissonant posted:

Aw, man. What's Eric Idle doing right now? I think I liked Rincewind more in the games than in the actual books.

Also, jelly beans and jelly babies are different. Pratchett was eating from a cup full of black jelly beans while signing books when he came to my city. :swoon:

so they're exactly the same as jelly beans except shaped like babies ok

or are they gummi bears but shaped like human children. A picture doesn't really help me out here. What are they like?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

In one of the previous terry pratchett threads someone said that the vimes/carrot dynamic was ripped off or based on this tv show about canadian mounties and I would love to see that show. I don't suppose anyone knows a tv show about canadian mounties like that? I mean I could try searching the archives but I have never had any luck doing that ever.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

All I meant was that there was a guy who constantly said that one of them was clearly based on the other. He said it a lot and that is why I remember it. Taking the relationship between any two types of people and claiming that you invented that relationship is probably a bit suspect.

I am rereading guards, guards right now, and remembered this, and felt like seeing if I could add it to my netflix queue and see for myself.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Just finished rereading men at arms. What did vetinari mean about "politician"? I'm looking it up on dictionary.com but it keeps linking to other words. Does it mean "guy who personifies the city" or "city boss" or something? Word origins should be easier to find than this.

Where policeman means man of the city, I just want a phrase like that to wrap it up. I remember looking in vain last time for answers, too.

Edit: Also this book gives incredible blue balls because it is lacking one final scene where cuddy gets the ghost of the gonne and makes some army of darkness references or something, finally agreeing to accompany death to the afterlife

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 12, 2007

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Tomorrow is the release date for Making Money but I swung by the book store earlier tonight and the woman was stocking new stuff on the shelves and they had a bunch of signed copies so I scooped one up and I'm gonna start it tonight.

and you swear you're not in England or something? I don't have to wait eight months for it to be localized and for all the superfluous u's removed? I can walk into a bookstore tomorrow and it will be there?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I set my garmin to constantly search for the word "book" and in my hour and a half commute I passed three christian bookstores and not a single B&N or borders :mad:

Is it only out in hardcover right now? I want it to match the other 33 books in my collection. I couldn't find a paperback when I tried to preorder it.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

it confuses the gently caress out of me when a character says "gel". "when I was a gel".

I ask british goons what the gently caress a gel is and they have no idea. It came to me recently when I imagined a certain type of british accent pronouncing "girl". Actually, I think I was watching some old movie and someone said it and I was just :aaa:

Just reading it, it made no sense ever. There are a lot of endearing british accents. I like the one that the elevator robot in that douglas adams video game about spaceship titanic. The one where it's not exactly cockney and he adds H's to the front of words that don't need them. I've seen the witches do that once or twice when they get self conscious about "dropping aitches"

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Fourecks posted:

I purchased 'Hogfather' with the adult covers so I could read it twice by Christmas. And wow, the adult covers are NICE. They make me feel grown-up.

Will look for Making Money if Chapters has it. Thud! was excellent, although Night Watch was better. But I'm biased because I love time travelling mind foolery.

adult covers? What?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

is this a kirby cover?
http://www.amazon.com/Guards-Terry-Pratchett/dp/0061020648/ref=sr_1_22/103-0649916-4659804?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190677988&sr=1-22
because my hogfather isn't the adult one, and it isn't the other one amazon has with the peppermint swirl and a sleigh. It's just some santa looking head with tusks. I can't find it :(

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Archetype posted:

Naw those are the crappy American mass trade paperback covers. This would be the particular Hogfather Kirby cover:

I ended up with a nice adult cover of Jingo as a Christmas gift. It is black and has a picture of a sword handles on it. Very snazzy.

Yeah I thought so. I also thought that guy died a long time ago and only drew the cover to like the first ten or so.

In the lower right corner what is that thief boiling because it looks to me to a third leg :pwn:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

The opening of pyramids was loving fantastic. And then he had to go to djellibeibi :argh:.

I want an all assassins book :colbert:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

hogfather wasn't the same. The only assassin in it never had to flip around like a freak or feel out bumps on his darts to read what type poison he was using in the dark... he just stabbed people and was incredibly awkward while doing it. Awkward to be around, socially... he was good at stabbing but I think it loses something when you have a conversation first.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Who else is going to the booksigning tomorrow? They sell books there right? Because I haven't bought a copy of making money yet so that I could get it signed and not get told I have to buy another one, or whatever. I have never been to a book signing and am just guessing how it goes.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Jolly Jumbuck posted:

I was at the signing and got the book signed. The line was huge -- I had no idea he was that popular!

what kind of line are we talking about here? This thing is at 1 and I'm planning to be there by 11:30. Is this the stay-up-all-night-hope-they-got-more-than-two-wiis-last-december type line or is it more a "wow I can't believe I spent an hour just to get an autograph" line?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Well he is the world's most shoplifted author so he must be doing something right!

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Just got back from my five hour drive into PA. Here is Terry Pratchett signing the book of the guy after me. None of the pictures I took before turned out :(

Here is the autograph. Can anyone read this?

I think it says "big whiskers" but I can't be sure. I have a pretty crummy beard so I don't know if he was referring to that.

He offered to whisper the answer to the crossword puzzle to anyone who asked, I asked him to write it on the last page :colbert:

If I can't figure it out by the epilogue I'll be glad to have it spoiled.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

bobula posted:

Hell if I know what it says. It's driving me mad.

I see "big wifes". The guy ahead of me got "sold!" and the guy after me got "best of luck"
I get Big Wicsrs

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

What was the rascal? I don't remember that part.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

maxnmona posted:

Was there seriously some sort of flame war about terry prachett a page ago that ended with people reporting each other for "flaming"? Jesus that's pathetic.

book related custom red titles? Or is the book barn not worth the effort?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

what did Vimes call the Queensbury rules? The "put up your dukes" fancy prancing that old timey boxers use? The ones that Carrot tried to use and had his arm broken?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Calenth posted:

And why do people not like equal rites? I mean, it's one of the earliest discworld books so deserves some slack, it has decent pacing, a decent plot, good characters, things happen that are surprises, etc.

I liked the tribe that couldn't lie, and they had competitions of who could bend the truth the most, and the most accomplished liar got to be the tribe liar and go out and trade with the world. I was always dissapointed that they never got mentioned again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Pope Guilty posted:

gently caress you, God.

your user name and what you said put me in mind of a certain emoticon :dawkins101: