Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Here's the problem I've got with Raising Steam. You've got a bunch of characters who over the course of 35-odd books always win, and now they're teaming up with each other to do something together that they all agree on and want to happen and never disagree about in any way. There's nobody from outside who seems capable of chucking a spanner in their works, and since they all agree on everything right from the start, they're not going to have to overcome infighting.

Result: zero narrative tension. Of course Vimes and Detritus are going to beat the poo poo out of the grags, and of course Moist is going to pull something out of his arse to save the day - there's nobody and nothing who could possibly stop them doing these things that they've previously shown that they're extremely competent at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Maybe I didn't formulate that properly; let me try again. It's not necessarily that there aren't any baddies, but there aren't any problems.

AlphaDog posted:

I can't argue with this, but it's not a new problem with Discworld. Vimes picks up the "can't be beaten" thing in what, Feet Of Clay? He's certainly got it in Night Watch and Thud, and those are two of my favorites.

In Night Watch, Vimes has to:

Catch Carcer, and do it properly and by the book to boot
Fill John Keel's role, both within the structure of the Watch and as mentor to himself
Deal with the new, ahistorical threat from the Cable Street Particulars
Not bugger up the timeline too badly
Resist his own urge to just wallow in the past and never go back home to his wife and son
Be generally true to himself while achieving all of the above

These things are all great challenges for him, which he struggles mightily with and then overcomes in the end. Sure, one of them's a great and memorable baddie, but more of them aren't; that's why it's such a good book, neh? Thud doesn't have a baddie like Carcer, but Vimes still has to:

Solve the murder of Grag Hamcrusher
Stop the city erupting in riots, and deal with the situation in the Cham when it comes to a head
Dodge the grags that are trying to assassinate him
Resist the urge to give in to the Summoning Dark
Find the truth of what happened at Koom Valley
Deal with being forced to have a vampire in his Watch
Babysit A.E. Pessimal
And all while being a good father to Young Sam and being back home exactly on time to read to him

The stakes have raised again and again so that he's still being challenged by events and having to struggle with them, but there are still challenges for him to overcome.

Likewise, in Going Postal, Moist has to:

Come up with a succession of ideas to revitalise the Post Office
Stop anyone finding out that he used to be a crook
Exorcise the Post Office building
Dodge assassination attempts
Win the heart of Adora Belle
Expose Reacher Gilt's misdeeds enough for Lord Vetinari to justify stepping in
While doing all of the above, not annoy Vetinari enough that he cuts his losses on the deal

That's quite enough to be getting on with, and of course it's a huge struggle trying to juggle it all; so when he pulls the miracle out of his arse at the end, it's a natural climax to his having to deal with all these problems.

Now, in Raising Steam, what do they have to do? Moist is nearly seriously challenged by having to negotiate with the landowners, but almost as soon as that challenge is introduced, it's solved again. He's nearly seriously challenged again by the grags, but then he's able to beat some of them up and then increase security so he doesn't have to do it again. Then he has to get the train over the bridge, but this time when he pulls something out of his arse it's dull and has no impact because he's been so singularly unchallenged by everything else in the book. Vimes presumably has to keep the peace in the city, but we never get to see him doing any of that; all he has to do on-screen is protecting the train. Simnel just wants to build his railway, and is given a free hand and kept carefully insulated from everything else that's going on, and he never suffers any engineering setbacks or problems or competition.

The three people with apparently the biggest challenges are Harry King, Lord Vetinari, and the Low Queen. Harry King's got a lot of money but he's out of his element when it comes to railways. The Queen has rumblings in the interior and then gets trapped a thousand miles away from the coup attempt. If Vetinari can't keep the peace, he's going to have a civil war in his city. But they all solve the problem in the same way; they just put one of the other characters on the case, who sort it out easily. There's barely any messes for anyone to get into in the first place.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

AlphaDog posted:

They're just not exactly comedies.

This is true, but is there a funnier comedic sequence anywhere than Vimes walking back into Treacle Mine Road as sergeant-at-arms? "It's what they used to call the hat of authority..."

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Mollsmolyneux posted:

I'm just getting into Discworld, but can't wait to read these four. Any suggestions which I start with, or shall I read them in order?

What kind of books do you like away from Discworld?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Kitchner posted:

Without spoiling the story for me why is Raising Steam getting knocked by you guys so much? I actually thought Snuff was OK. Not as good as previous Discworld stuff but still a good read.

I wrote a thing after finishing Raising Steam that goes into why I feel it's slipped from "ok-ish for Discworld" (which is about where I had Snuff at as well) to "not really much fun to read at all". Spoilerless version: none of the characters have any real problems or challenges put in their way that they don't then immediately and easily overcome, resulting in absolutely zero narrative tension. If it wasn't Discworld I really would have just chucked it in the bin and never thought of it again by page 100 at the absolute latest, and probably quite a bit earlier.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I think the best entry point depends entirely on who's asking for it. If they like cop stories and whodunits at all (and a lot of people do), then yes, the Watch is a great place to start them off. But then there are people who read a great deal of trashy fantasy, and if someone like that comes along then you better bet I'm giving them The Colour of Magic. If it's someone who reads a lot of YA, then it might be Tiffany Aching or I might get them to read about Johnny Maxwell first. Someone who looks for strong female protagonists would be all over the Witches. I'd give a film buff Moving Pictures, a music nerd Soul Music, and a divinity student Pyramids.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Omi no Kami posted:

I've been re-reading the Tiffany Aching books this week and yeesh but that man can write.

I'm somewhat curious though: I love Granny Weatherwax as depicted in the Aching books, but I really didn't care for her in Equal Rites. Is it worth going through the other witches books, or should I just pretend that they started with hat full of sky?

The thing with her in Equal Rites is she's only drawn in two and a bit dimensions, because she's like all the early Discworld characters, a spanner in the wheel to serve the points Pratchett's trying to make about fantasy - in this case, men's magic and women's magic. The book works a lot better once you realise it's basically an expanded version of this speech that he gave to a convention shortly after completing The Light Fantastic.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I dunno, the whole point of Night Watch is that he's remembered and learned enough about how to be a good detective detectorer over the course of previous adventures that he's worked out how effective it can be. One of my favourite passages in Men at Arms is this one:

quote:

Vimes would be the first to admit that he wasn't a good copper, but he'd probably be spared
the chore because lots of other people would happily admit it for him. There was a certain
core of stubborn bloody-mindedness there which upset important people, and anyone who
upsets important people is automatically not a good copper. But he'd developed instincts. You
couldn't live on the streets of a city all your life without them. In the same way that the whole
jungle subtly changes at the distant approach of the hunter, there was an alteration in the feel
of the city.

There was something happening here, something wrong, and he couldn't quite see what it
was. He started to reach down—

Sure, it's a great character arc the way he rises from being an irrelevant, incompetent drunk to being the Duke of Ankh; but I do sometimes wish that we'd got a bit more of this feeling along the way, of him not being sure he's up to the job he finds himself doing and has to overcome his own self-doubt as much as the complexity of the crime. "Am I good enough to solve this?" instead of "Can I solve this in time?" is an angle I've not seen a lot of in detective stories and I wish we'd got a bit more of it before he starts dealing in the kind of international affairs that would have given Bismarck pause.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Um, did you miss the bit where he also signs over "the freehold of a large site in Goose Green", which I always then assumed became the location of the Lady Sybil Free Hospital (with Lawn in charge) in later books?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Zephyrine posted:

That's alright but the 100.000 dollars seems very out of place.

Well, because they've also had that conversation about memory, and how beneficial silence can be, and what he knows about the identity of John Keel. The money is to buy him off so he won't squeal about who Sergeant-at-Arms Keel was, and the hospital is his reward for delivering Young Sam.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Lord Vetinari instructs Vimes to put Colon and Nobby in charge of a traffic police unit at the end of Jingo, and we then get to see them (and hear about them) in action at the beginning of The Fifth Elephant.

quote:

'Now...what do we have to discuss...?' [Lord V] pulled another document towards him and read it swiftly.
'Ah...I see that the new traffic division is having the desired effect.' He indicated a large pile of paper.
'I am getting any amount of complaints from the Carters' and Drovers' Guild. Well done. Do pass on my
thanks to Sergeant Colon and his team.'
'I will, sir.'
'I see in one day they clamped seventeen carts, ten horses, eighteen oxen and one duck.'
'It was parked illegally, sir.'
'Indeed. However, a strange pattern seems to emerge.'
'Sir?'
'Many of the carters say that they were not in fact parked but had merely halted while an extremely old
and extremely ugly lady crossed the road extremely slowly.'
'That's their story, sir.'
'They know she was an old lady by her constant litany on the lines of "Oh deary me, my poor old feet,"
and similar expressions.'
'Certainly sounds like an old lady to me, sir,' said Vimes, his face wooden.
'Quite so. What is rather strange is that several of them then report seeing the old lady subsequently
legging it away along an alley rather fast. I'd discount this, of course, were it not for the fact that the
lady has apparently been seen crossing another street, very slowly, some distance away shortly
afterwards. Something of a mystery, Vimes.'
Vimes put his hand over his eyes. 'It's one I intend to solve quite quickly, sir.'
The Patrician nodded and made a short note on the list in front of him.

Presumably when Mister Vimes gets back and finishes going spare, they return to clamping duty until some point after Night Watch when Fred begins to slow down even more than he had done already.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

precision posted:

Given that Pratchett is somewhat enormously rich, and he has always wanted Terry Gilliam to do Good Omens, why doesn't he just Executive Produce it and cover any funding that Gilliam can't get elsewhere?

Well, let's think about this. His net worth was reported a few years ago as being somewhere in the region of £42 million, but let's to go the man himself to find out why this doesn't mean "he has £42 million in the bank" (this was written some considerable time ago, in response to his net worth being estimated at £26 million):

quote:

"This began with some survey done by a magazine called Business Age. Since it's off by the national debt of Belgium my agent rang them up to find out what the hell was going on. Various factoids emerged, like frinstance their assumption that I sell pro rata as much in the States as I do here (hollow laughter from the American readers). And we suspect they fall for the common error that a mere appearance in the bestseller lists means millionaire status (in a poor week the book at number ten might not have sold 100 copies). But the big wobbler is that the estimate is of 'worth', not 'wealth' -- they've hazarded a wild guess at the value of the Discworld rights, as far as we can tell including film rights as well. Remember copyright lasts for 50 years and the books are consistent high backlist sellers. It's similar to pointing to a bright kid and saying 'he's worth three million quids' -- i.e., all the money she or he might earn during their life, at compound interest. It's fairy money. The kind Robert Maxwell had."

The Sunday Times Rich List operates in a similar fashion. So let's be generous for a moment, and assume that in fact he at this moment has about £20 million (~$32 million) in either cash or easily liquefiable assets. It's pretty obvious that Good Omens is not going to be a cheap movie to make if you want to do it properly, right? The rights to licence Queen alone could probably pay for a load of worthy shoestring independent meditations on e.g. the subtly intertwining lives of the people who use a particular railway station toilet. 12 Monkeys cost $29.5 million. Doctor Parnassus cost about the same. The Brothers Grimm cost $88 million. Film is not a cheap business.

So he almost certainly doesn't have as much money as is often reported, and even if he did it'd still be a bloody big ask to shoulder even half the production costs of a Good Omens movie with enough budget to make it a worthwhile exercise. Let's remember here that when George Harrison bought the most expensive cinema ticket in history by stepping in to personally fund The Life of Brian, even an ex-Beatle had to remortgage his house to do so.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Zephyrine posted:

He did go to war in Jingo but not as street thug/assassin Willikins he went to war as just an ignorant recruit seeking glory. Made to symbolize the "glory of war" hysteria among the common man.

Did you miss the bit where he immediately gets himself made a sergeant and goes round biting Klatchian noses off? "It was only one nose, sir..."

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Stroth posted:

I read that as being about monopolies, not capitalism.

And the bit where Vetinari decides the appropriate course of action is to arrange things so that he can justify nationalising it...?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I read them mostly as arm's length industries that work for the good of the city with profit as an interesting side benefit, because the apparent private dynastic owners/operators are all secretly terrified of getting the arm chopped off if they go properly into business for themselves like Gilt did with the Trunk. Whether that's pro-nationalisation or pro-responsible-capitalism or pro-enlightened-dictatorship...

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

You didn't get one of the infamous soup edition books, did you?

http://gmkeros.wordpress.com/2011/09/02/terry-pratchett-and-the-maggi-soup-adverts/

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I just want to see Tony Stamp and Reg Hollis from The Bill as Fred Colon and Nobby Nobbs. Is that really too much to ask?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

There's a line in there somewhere about the Day Watch having become another one of the city's gangs, and the Night Watch not even being good enough to manage that, right?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Fliemoe's a composite of both of them (if Fliemoe invites you for toast in his study, don't go!) There's also strong tinges of Flashman in how we see Lord Downey behaving when he was at school, much later in the series.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

AlphaDog posted:

I got the feeling it was supposed to teach serious important moral lessons rather than be entertaining.

That's exactly what it was; it was born out of a genre literally called "improving stories", in which a load of horribly anal little children behave like little Goody Two-Shoes (and the reason that phrase endures is because she's the titular character of an improving story from about 90 years before Tom Brown) and set a good example for your children to follow. Tom Brown's Schooldays is basically about an improving story (in the vector of George) infecting a bunch of suprisingly normal kids at Rugby, and either they roll with it and turn into dull little Good People (ready to become selfless servants of the Empire!) or they get expelled like Flashman, and as far as the book's concerned, he presumably ends up dying penniless in a ditch six months later.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I enjoyed Flashman, but you know what always bugs me about the writing? At least once in every book, there's a moment where he goes "I've been in some dashed nasty scrapes, but I'm not sure I was ever in one quite as bad as [the situation he's currently in]". After a certain point I realised I was spending the entire book just waiting for it to drop so I could be annoyed by it.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

If liking jokes about sheer bloody-minded literality, or people talking at cross purposes because they have no frame of reference for each other, is wrong, then I for one do not wish to be right.

quote:

'Well done!' said Leonard. 'Tell me, sergeant, are you of a nautical persuasion?'
Colon saluted again. 'Nossir! Happily married man, sir!'
'I meant, have you ploughed the ocean waves at all?'
Colon gave him a cunning look.
'Ah, you can't catch me with that one, sir,' he said. 'Everyone knows the horses sink.'
Leonard paused for a moment and retuned his brain to Radio Colon.
'Have you, in the past, floated around, on the sea, in a boat, at all?'

:allears:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

One of my favourite Pratchett quotes.

quote:

"...A gag that no-one's ever said they've got is the Patrician's name, Lord Vetinari. I always think of the Patrician as a vaguely Florentine prince, a sort of Machiavelli and Robespierre rolled into one. And of course there was Medici. So I thought if you had the Medici, then you would have the Dentistri, and the Vetinari. The Discworld is full of things which don't look like gags but are gags, if only you can work out what the intervening step is which I haven't given."

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I loved Nation so much. It's possibly even my favourite Pratchett. If you can get along at all with books starring teen protagonists, give the Johnny Maxwell series a try.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Kitchner posted:

It was quite funny that TP said in an interview he remembered someone telling him once that after reading monstrous regiment their military friend insisted TP must have served in the army, as there was no way anyone who hasn't would have been able to write the novel that well. Then you come here and people are slating it, which I don't really get.

I know quite a few people who aren't really into the Watch series because they're not really into detective detectoring stories; Monstrous Regiment is a military story but it's not in the style of an On My Own In The Desert For Two Months With Only A Face Flannel And A Racing Spoon-type thing, or a Tom Clancy airport thriller, it's a relatively specific style with a smaller audience than the Watch or the Witches, so I can understand why there's plenty of people who Just Aren't Into That Sort of Thing.

(They're wrong, of course, but...)

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Whodunits are not the only kind of detectoring story, just the same as sword-and-sorcery isn't the only kind of fantasy; the Watch stories appropriate and jettison elements from all kinds of sub-genres as the author sees fit.

Kitchner posted:

Not many crime novels, as far as I'm aware, tell the reader who committed the crime early on and then spend the rest of the novel exploring why they did it.

It's called either an inverted story or a howcatchem, depending on your feelings about language. They're a recognised sub-genre. Became more popular after Columbo did it on TV, but the basic concept goes back to stuff like The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton, which starts with Holmes telling Watson what an rear end in a top hat Milverton is and why something drastic needs to be done about him.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The thing about Night Watch is that there's still some incredibly funny bits in it. Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything that beats Vimes walking back into Treacle Mine Road as sergeant-at-arms and putting some stick about.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I was just reading this this morning.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/mar/12/alzheimers-breakthrough-as-ultrasound-successfully-treats-disease-in-mice

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

supermikhail posted:

Er. I'm now reading an obituary in a Spanish newspaper (:rolleyes:), and I've just discovered that apparently Dibbler is translated Escurridizo, meaning "tricky, slippery"... So, I have to wonder, I'm not a native English speaker and Dibbler doesn't mean anything to me - in fact, dictionary.com doesn't produce anything very relevant... But does his name mean or imply something?

It doesn't mean anything per se, but for me it's always been brilliantly evocative of that sort of small-time ducker and diver. (It's vaguely reminiscent of the word "dabble", which he does all the time.) I don't think it means anything or is a reference to anything, but it's exactly what someone like that should be called, if that makes sense. (In the same way that the Spanish waiter in Fawlty Towers could have had no other name but Manuel.)

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Someone back in the days of Usenet wrote a really good analysis of Vetinari's role in Jingo.

http://www.ealasaid.com/fan/vetinari/musings-jingo.html

quote:

One of the things that's always troubled me about J is the way Vetinari acts so out of character, dropping the helm of A-M and charging off on what is more than likely to be a wild goose chase (and one which, on the "real" leg of the trousers of time, turns out to be a failure, with A-M invaded). But then this discussion of the war got me wondering if it made any difference to my interpretation of Vetinari's behaviour if I assumed that he knew from the beginning of the book that Klatch was determined to invade. And it turns out it does.

It's easy to overlook what Vetinari is thinking in the opening chapters because we see him almost exclusively through Vimes' eyes, and Vimes perspective is utterly different - he's wrapped up in the here and now, wholly preoccupied with events in A-M, and misses the bigger picture altogether. His obsession with thinking of the Klatchians as the "good guys" is a clear warning to the reader that his perspective is unreliable, but it's all too easy to get caught up in his viewpoint just the same.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I've always been fond of the footnote in Jingo that tells us there's a Mr Harris (of the Blue Cat Club) on the committee of the Guild of Seamstresses.

quote:

His admission caused a lot of argument in the Guild, who knew competition when they saw it, but Mrs Palm overruled the opposition on the basis, she said, that unnatural acts were only natural.

d'awwww

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I liked Lu-Tze much better as a supporting character. It didn't seem to me like there was nearly enough material there to carry a full book, and it seems like the subject had had plenty of parody attention before Discworld got there.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

"Well, I was going to buy a book, but now I think I'll go to [INSERT NAME HERE] instead, thanks. Tell your manager."

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

You're kind of right, but on slightly closer inspection, there's just no way that the situation can be anywhere near that simple. We're talking about a culture where Carrot Head Banger can be accepted without question as a dwarf even though he doesn't have a beard, which even Cheery thinks is inherently and vitally dwarfish. There's all kinds of questions of gender and identity washing around in there, far too many for it to be a simple and easy "lady dwarfs = gays" (or "= transpeople", or whatever) analogy.

This is one of the things that really get to me about him dying - given what little he managed to show in Raising Steam (and there's hints in Thud with Sally von Humpeding also), he was clearly planning to develop those themes about the complexity of identity and contemporary human social norms even further and I was really looking forward to it, and then he simply ran out of time to do it in.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 7, 2015

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Arbite posted:

War in all it's potential horror had been covered in Jingo

I completely disagree. Jingo covered the horrors of war from the top down. Monstrous Regiment covers the horrors of war from the bottom up. They complement each other.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

At the risk of being self-aggrandising:

Trin Tragula posted:

I think the best entry point depends entirely on who's asking for it.

If they like cop stories and whodunits at all (and a lot of people do), then yes, the Watch is a great place to start them off. But then there are people who read a great deal of trashy fantasy, and if someone like that comes along then you better bet I'm giving them The Colour of Magic. If it's someone who reads a lot of YA, then it might be Tiffany Aching or I might get them to read about Johnny Maxwell first. Someone who looks for strong female protagonists would be all over the Witches. I'd give a film buff Moving Pictures, a music nerd Soul Music, and a divinity student Small Gods.

If I'd started with e.g. Mort, or Guards! Guards!, I may never have read another one, but Jingo was exactly what I needed to help me get what Discworld was all about.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Let's have it properly, shall we? That whole scene deserves it; the narratorial interjections are pure artistry.

quote:

'Hright,' said Sergeant Colon, 'this, men, is your truncheon, also nomenclatured your night stick or baton of office.' He paused while he tried to remember his army days, and brightened up. 'Hand you will look after hit,' he shouted. 'You will eat with hit, you will sleep with hit, you—'
' 'Scuse me.'
'Who said that?'
'Down here. It's me, Lance-Constable Cuddy.'
'Yes, pilgrim?'
'How do we eat with it, sergeant?'
Sergeant Colon's wound-up machismo wound down. He was suspicious of Lance-Constable Cuddy. He strongly suspected Lance-Constable Cuddy was a trouble-maker.
'What?'
'Well, do we use it as a knife or a fork or cut in half for chopsticks or what?'
'What are you talking about?'
'Excuse me, sergeant?'
'What is it, Lance-Constable Angua?'
'How exactly do we sleep with it, sir?'
'Well, I . . . I meant . . . Corporal Nobbs, stop that sniggering right now!' Colon adjusted his breastplate and decided to strike out in a new direction.
'Now, hwat we have 'ere is a puppet, mommet or heffigy' – indicating a vaguely humanoid shape made of leather and stuffed with straw, mounted on a stake -'called by the hnickname of Harthur, weapons training, for the use hof. Forward, Lance-Constable Angua. Tell me, Lance-Constable, do you think you could kill a man?'
'How long will I have?'

There was a pause while they picked up Corporal Nobbs and patted him on the back until he settled down.
'Very well,' said Sergeant Colon, 'what you must do now is take your truncheon like so, and on the command one, proceed smartly to Harthur and on the command two, tap him smartly upon the bonce. Hwun . . . two . . .' The truncheon bounced off Arthur's helmet.
'Very good, only one thing wrong. Anyone tell me what it was?'
They shook their heads.
'From behind,' said Sergeant Colon. 'You hit 'em from behind. No sense in risking trouble, is there? Now you have a go, Lance-Constable Cuddy.'
'But sarge—'
'Do it.'
They watched.
'Perhaps we could fetch him a chair?' said Angua, after an embarrassing fifteen seconds.
Detritus sniggered.
'Him too little to be a guard,' he said.
Lance-Constable Cuddy stopped jumping up and down.
'Sorry, sergeant,' he said, 'this isn't how dwarfs do it, see?'
'It's how guards do it,' said Sergeant Colon. 'All right, Lance-Constable Detritus – don't salute – you give it a try.'
Detritus held the truncheon between what must technically be called thumb and forefinger, and smashed it over Arthur's helmet. He stared reflectively at the truncheon's stump. Then he bunched up his, for want of a better word, fist, and hammered Arthur over what was briefly its head until the stake was driven three feet into the ground.
'Now the dwarf, he can have a go,' he said.
There was another embarrassed five seconds. Sergeant Colon cleared his throat. 'Well, yes, I think we can consider him thoroughly apprehended,' he said. 'Make a note, Corporal Nobbs. Lance-Constable Detritus – don't salute! - deducted one dollar for loss of truncheon. And you're supposed to be able to ask 'em questions afterwards.'
He looked at the remains of Arthur.
'I think around about now is a good time to demonstrate the fine points of harchery,' he said.

I could read that all day, and indeed I have.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Vimes and Detritus is a combination that just plain didn't happen often enough. And he never had the time to get around to Scouting for Trolls...

Feet of Clay, take it away.

quote:

'Incidentally, Sergeant, I've got a report here that a troll in uniform nailed one of
Chrysoprase's henchmen to a wall by his ears last night. Know anything about that?'
The troll wrinkled its enormous forehead. 'Does it say anything 'bout him selling bags of Slab
to troll kids?'
'No. It says he was going to read spiritual literature to his dear old mother,' said Vimes.
'Did Hardcore say he saw dis troll's badge?'
'No, but he says the troll threatened to ram it where the sun doesn't shine,' said Vimes.
Detritus nodded gravely. 'Dat's a long way to go just to ruin a good badge,' he said.
'By the way,' said Vimes, 'that was a lucky guess of yours, guessing that it was Hardcore.'
'It come to me in a flash, sir,' said Detritus. 'I fort: what bastard who sells Slab to kids
deserves bein' nailed up by his ears, sir, and . . . bingo. Dis idea just formed in my head.'
'That's what I thought.'
Cheery Littlebottom looked from one impassive face to the other. The Watchmen's eyes
never left each other's face, but the words seemed to come from a little distance, as though
both of them were reading an invisible script.
Then Detritus shook his head slowly. 'Musta been a impostor, sir. 'S easy to get helmets like
ours. None of my trolls'd do anything like dat. Dat would be police brutality, sir.'
'Glad to hear it. Just for the look of the thing, though, I want you to check the trolls' lockers.
The Silicon Anti-Defamation League are on to this one.'
'Yes, sir. An' if I find out it was one of my trolls I will be down on dat troll like a ton of
rectang'lar buildin' things, sir.'

And, of course, the coda...

quote:

'Dis is der ole privy wot we don't use no more, you can use it for mixin' up stuff, it the only
place we got now, you have to clean it up first 'cos it smells like a toilet in here.'
He opened another door. 'And this der locker room,' he said. 'You got your own peg and dat,
and dere's dese panels for getting changed behind 'cos we knows you dwarfs is modest. It a
good life if you don't weaken. Mr Vimes is okay but he a bit weird about some stuff, he
keepin' on sayin' stuff like dis city is a meltin' pot an' all der scum floats to der top, and stuff
like dat. I'll give you your helmet an' badge in a minute but first' — he opened a rather larger
locker on the other side of the room, which had 'DTRiTUS' painted on it - 'I got to go and
hide dis hammer.'

Nobody remembers it because it falls down the cracks of Jolly Littlebottom and Beaky Littlebottom, but it's absolutely fantastic.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I like Equal Rites a lot, but it's a sad moment when you realise that, standing on its own, it really never needed to be any more than this speech that he gave at 80s conventions, somewhere between The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic.

quote:

The archetypal wizard is of course Merlin, advisor of kings, maker of the Round Table, and the only man who knew how to work the electromagnet that released the Sword from the Stone. He is not in fact a folklore hero, because much of what we know about him is based firmly on Geoffrey de Monmouth's Life of Merlin, written in the Twelfth Century. Old Geoffrey was one of the world's great writers of fantasy, nearly as good as Fritz Leiber but without that thing about cats.

He then goes on, rather amusingly, to point out the growing ursupation of Merlin's place in culture by Gandalf, something which I would say is now complete thanks to Ian McKellen waving his enormous staff (it's got a knob on the end) around everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Unseen Academicals was the first time I noticed something really off about his prose. I cringed every time Dr Hix went "Skull ring! Skull ring!"