Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hero
Nov 25, 2005

by Eris Is Goddess
I am as big a Pterry fan as they come. I am not going to reiterate what has already been said but I will point out what may be the biggest thing that makes him shine so brightly. I have never read another author who so consistently ended his or her books so well. Nearly every single one of his books ends in such a way that I am completely satisfied. Often, as is the case with The Bromeliad, the endings are beautiful, too.

I have been saying for many years, that in the future, when this time is regarded as the past, he will be regarded as the greatest satirist of our time.

Other than that, I just want to point out how much worldly wisdom is infused into each new title. He really has a solid grasp of human nature and a sense for what is right and what is wrong. Thud! above all the others, perhaps, shows this off. It really is an amazing book about the fight for peace and the love of a father.

Edit: Making Money is out on September 1st.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hero
Nov 25, 2005

by Eris Is Goddess
I'm excited...I just found out he is doing a publicity tour and this time his appearance is close enough and at an hour where I can go and meet him. All I want to do is express my appreciation for the countless hours of joy he has given me.

I am wondering if Tiffany Aching will show up in the next witches book...

Captain Hero
Nov 25, 2005

by Eris Is Goddess

bobula posted:

I'm going to the Making Money signing in Torrance on the 24th. I'm also hoping to go to the one in NYC on the 1st of October but that is a bit of a long shot if I can get off work to take the trip I was planning to anyway. Anyone else going to the signings?

If you look up two posts you will see I mentioned I was going. The Torrance one, as well. :woop:

Captain Hero
Nov 25, 2005

by Eris Is Goddess

Hammerstein posted:

I really used to like Pratchet, but personally I consider his earlier works superior to his later books. Especially the early Rincewind stories are way more fun.

However, this might also come from the fact that once you have read a few books you get used to Pratchet´s way of story-telling. He always used the same loop, take some underdog character, an evil villain and his henchman, some unlikely allies and put them into a typical deus-ex-machina rollercoaster.

This is especially disturbing during some of the Guards as well as Witches books, where you get villains who are described as immensely evil and powerful but in the end go out with a whimper instead of a bang.

But as I said, as a reader you most likely get this effect once you get used to the typical Pratchet plotline, for someone new to his works the books provide real good entertainment.

I'm sure this is exactly why he continues to grow in popularity. All those people who get sick of him stop buying the books but somehow even more new readers jump on board.

Sarcasm aside, thanks for the input. I'll go read some more of Making Money now.

Anyone know why people are finding signed copies?