Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Pham Nuwen posted:

Gilt, not Guilt. Very different meaning. I disagree and think it would have made the story worse if he'd accepted.

Plus it set up Making Money. And that change would go against the reasoning behind Moist's motivation in the last stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Trin Tragula posted:

I read them mostly as arm's length industries that work for the good of the city with profit as an interesting side benefit, because the apparent private dynastic owners/operators are all secretly terrified of getting the arm chopped off if they go properly into business for themselves like Gilt did with the Trunk. Whether that's pro-nationalisation or pro-responsible-capitalism or pro-enlightened-dictatorship...

I also think that the guilds dealing in more mundane disciplines, clockmaking, artificers, merchants and so on, are more for regulation and tax collection, and have competition within them. Besides having a choice in which craftsman's work you buy, I think its been said advancement among the leadership tends to happen when someone is visited by someone in a cool black gettup.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

AlphaDog posted:

It's likely that Vetinari would have no problem with someone trying to open a rival Assassin school. It's even more likely that he also wouldn't help them at all.

I want to read that book now.

He'd probably also commission his own assassination, to be thwarted by Vimes without help. Keep everyone on their toes.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Trin Tragula posted:

I just want to see Tony Stamp and Reg Hollis from The Bill as Fred Colon and Nobby Nobbs. Is that really too much to ask?

I saw Stamp = Colon too! Reg does have a certain ratty quality to him, but Nobby might have to be CGI.

It's a bit tough for me to think about, might first few Watch books were off Audible, the first couple read by Stephen Briggs where Fred is a sort of stereotypical plod, then went to Guards! Guards! Read by Nigel "Neil from The Young Ones" Planer where he was Irish. I think most of Briggs' voices are better fits though, even if Michael Caine is much too old to play Vimes.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

AlphaDog posted:

Pretty sure that's not the only time a non-wizard sees Death, either.

Most people see him exactly once.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Damo posted:

I only ask because it seems weird, if there isn't, that the entire police force is comprised of only three or four people. I get the whole thing about the thieves guild and legalized illegal stuff and the lessened need for a police force, however there are still tons of things I can think of even within Ankh-Morporks way of governance that would require much more police than just three guys. There has to be plenty of stuff that is still illegal, not to mention the countless other poo poo police handle in a city. Even if there is a daytime force the night time being only three guys is a bit of a stretch. I mean I get it's discworld and all but that's a pretty big place for three dudes.

I guess I'm just confused about the whole situation with law enforcement, as it were, in Ankh Morpork. Which is natural I guess considering I've only read the first 50 pages of the first Watch book.

There's a Day Watch, it comes up later.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Buh posted:

Also the book Night Watch shows us how corrupt and useless the Night Watch was before Vetinari crippled it, so three drunks guarding bridges was in fact a step forward.

Hey, don't undersell it, they had bells.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Cicadalek posted:

I think I started reading when I was around ten or twelve as well. I was just immediately hooked, even though half of it must have gone way over my head (I started from the beginning, and had never read any of the fantasy stuff that CoM was parodying). On average I must have read every book in the series four or five times, which is loving crazy.

Also if you are looking for a christmas gift for a Discworld reading friend (and live outside of Canada and North America) you could do worse than these new Gollancz hardbacks because seriously

You can't see it in the pictures, but they're all embossed and shiny.

I have Feet of Clay and Jingo, and mean to collect at least The Watch portion of the series. I rarely get physical books now but they are nice things to have and are good for Amazon wish lists this time of year.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Iacen posted:

I totally prefere Briggs to Nigel Planner, as he does this strange nasal thing, which makes every character sound stupid. Everytime I find an Unabridged book with Briggs, I cheer.

I think Briggs has a better handle on some of the characters too. Colon seems a good example, Planer made him Irish, which doesn't really seem to work with the way he speaks as written. Briggs really got the dim, comfortable community Bobby down. Planer does earnest lads well with his "Neil" voice, which I think was really good for Mort, but Carrot really should be Welsh. Briggs does make him seem a bit too worldly, in my head he sounds like Rhod Gilbert. Making Trolls Glaswegian was an interesting choice by Planer.

And I thought Brigg's Sweeper sounded more like someone from a London Chinese community, which I thought helped.

There's big cast recordings somewhere?

VagueRant posted:

Guards! Guards! Carrot is still my favourite Carrot. His first appearance with him running around confused about how anything works in Ankh Morpork, being partnered with Nobby, and going to arrest as many people as he did. Good stuff.

"Carrot! Throw the book at him!"

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

dragon_pamcake posted:

Was Briggs the one that made Vimes sound like he had a severe head cold in "Guards! Guards!"?

Guards! Guards! was Planer.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

precision posted:

It took me like a decade reading the books in publication order (I'm old enough to have started when Mort got a US publication!) to realize that Rincewind wasn't supposed to be an old man and the cover of The Light Fantastic is probably the only reason why.

Without scrutinising the cover for whatever reason, I immediately thought Rincewind in Colour was at most in his mid-thirties, and pretty much as Kidby subsequently depicted him.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

If I remember right, it's not until quite late on that it's revealed that Wonce and the leader of the brethren were one and the same.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

VagueRant posted:

Worked for me.

In other news, is the Thief of Time audiobook any good (and is it unabridged)? It appears to be read by multiple people rather than good ol' Nigel Planer or Stephen Briggs. :ohdear:

Might be more than one version but I have an unabridged one by Briggs.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I really want Thudd! to be mentioned as part of this conversation, I think that's a really strong part of The Watch storyline. I like that the fictional game seems to act as a much more meaningful metaphor than chess ever seems to be.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

VagueRant posted:

I thought that was the funniest most memorable scene in the book. :shrug:

Briggs really made it work in the audiobook.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

I wouldn't know. I have that book in hardback for over a year waiting on my shelf.

Not got the courage up to read it.

Just listened to the audiobook, and it's pretty much fine if you ask me. There were a few things off, like people like Lu-Tse showing up for a fairly pointless cameo, making you think it's just because they may never appear again, and Vetinari fairly explicitly getting his hands dirty, albeit in a way that was kind of amusing and characterful, just not what I think he should do at this stage but it's fun and seems to conclude an interesting story thread: Rhys and the progression of dwarf society. Only problem is that that, and Ardent, appeared to be resolved in Thud!

For the second half it's like it's half Watch book as well, though usually from the perspective of Moist.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Well I just did in Going Postal. :colbert:

Talking of references in Going Postal, was one of the undelivered letters that "spoke" to Moist supposed to be one of Carrot's letters home? Only supposedly his letters got there, since it's been shown that Carrot's dad writes his replies on the back of them.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

VagueRant posted:

Pretty sure she was always blonde. She was from the uhh...Scandinavianny place with the other werewolves and the snow...oh, I'm a bad Discworlder.

On that note, having just finished the Death series, I'm wondering where to go next. Tempted to already reread Night Watch after Thief of Time though.

Uberwald, and yes I think she was described as blonde in Men at Arms.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm pretty sure this didn't happen because William de Word is not an interesting character, and the book's interesting characters both die at the end.

I was sort of alright with De Word until the end whe he uses his inherited privilege to blackmail Slant.

Much love for the New Firm though.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

Moist wasn't the character I was thinking of. It was Vetinari who kills the bandits. And yeah, he's a killer, but slaughtering bandits and making a joke about it doesn't seem like something that was in modern Vetinari's wheelhouse.

Yes exactly I would expect intimidation or trickery to be rid of them, and I think for one thing he doesn't think he's the one that should be getting rid of bandits, he's always more inclined to make sure the right people do their job.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Mr Darcy posted:

Don't even go there. Let the woman write her own stories rather than writing a piss poor copy of her father's work to pacify some nerds.

Oh!! On the other hand she could get Kevin J Anderson to help. That always goes down well.

Uhg, I inflicted some of his Star Wars books on myself years back, and I've just run out of Herbert-written Dune books.

I'm not sure Rihanna has written anything in novel-form, I think as much as anything there would be issues with "voice" which would just change everything. If she works with games and performance media that could come out great, very much her wheelhouse. Guess it's a question of how much the Discworld will get to turn (although obviously it doesn't actually turn)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

rejutka posted:

True. :smith:

At least we got Charles Dance as Vetinari. :unsmith:

I really think Charles Dance is a good fit, he just has that presence. And it helps he looks almost exactly like many depictions of the character. With that said, I think Mark Heap could do Vetinari.

For Ridcully, maybe Alexander Armstrong?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

VagueRant posted:

I still want Jack Dee to be Vimes, and Liza Tarbuck to be Lady Sybil and every time I see them on panel shows it makes me angry that this hasn't happened yet.

Joanna Scanlan could be Sybil too. I'm not sure Vimes should be played by a comedian. And Jack Dee should be Professor Whiteface.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Susan Calman as Cheery?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Stroth posted:

Without the mustache though.

I would accept painting over it Caesar Romero style.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I think I figured out the Ginger Beer Trick quite early, but I had seen it done with regular beer on a TV show, I want to say 24.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

I imagine they'd do pretty good as graphic novels too. I'm quite surprised only a few of the earlier books have been made graphic novels.

I really liked the Guards! Guards! graphic novel, it seems like such an ideal art style for the setting, with characters like Vimes and Vetinari being in a "realistic" style and people like Nobby looking like they are from a Cosgrove Hall cartoon

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Hogblob posted:

Here's hoping they bring back Serafinowicz and Heap from the Radio Four adaptation as Crowley and Aziraphale.

Yeah, that seems pretty perfect, and they even looked right in the promo pictures. I'd be surprised if they didn't at least get first dibs.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Jedit posted:

The delays to The Watch have in part been because they realised picking up after Raising Steam as planned wouldn't work, and they had to dramatise at least some of the earlier boks first.

Surprised they even considered that, seems to me there's no way to do it without adaptions of the early books.

I hope Good Omens retains some of the radio series cast.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Ddraig posted:

So who would people cast as various characters for tv/film adaptions?

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that Miranda Hart would be an excellent Sybil.

I think Joanna Scanlan for Sybil actually.

I really like Charles Dance as Vetinari, but I could see Mark Heap in the role.

Peter Serafinowicz as Brian Butterfield as Fred Colon.

I liked Brigg's Sweeper, he sounded like he came from a London Chinese community which seems to suit him well.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Matt Berry as all of the Rusts.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Good Omens announced as a co-production by Narrativa, the BBC and Neil Gaiman's Blank Corperation:

http://narrativia.com/good-omens-announcement.html

For broadcast in 2018 by BBC and Amazon.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

8 by 60 sounds good, when the idea was first raised I was concerned they wouldn't have the time to do something with it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

When they say 60 minutes, given its BBC America, will it be a "TV hour" of maybe 40ish minutes or actually an hour long?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Are any of those markedly different from the standard audio books?

I think Audible just makes money from subscriptions and occasionally offering bulk purchase of tokens, I'm sure the margins mean they don't have to take the RRP you'd pay on CDs. Maybe those prices are listed because it's party of Amazon?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Beachcomber posted:

My wife has recently finished the Tiffany Aching audiobooks, and has moved on to Good Omens.

Where should I send her next, audiobook-wise? Are they all narrated by the same guy? Of equal quality?

All the Discworld productions I've heard have been great, the unabridged ones are mostly read by Stephen Briggs, who I expect did the Aching books you've heard unless there are other versions. Some early ones are read by Nigel Planer, who's good but I don't agree with some of his choices of accents and voices, although he's perfect as Mort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

https://twitter.com/thetallulahhh/status/1422487507413917698?s=19