Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Lawlita
Oct 10, 2006

deadpan and deadly.
Reading this thread went from making me really sad to really proud. It warms my heart to see people reaching out to poor Henrietta. It's like 101 Dalmations, except instead of helping puppies get back home, you're helping her find a loving home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dank glitterqueef
Nov 6, 2005

PM me your address, I'm going to see about sending SOMETHING along, even though I've got no cash to speak of.

squeak
Sep 20, 2006

Not quite what expected.
I have an old lady cat as well, and I know how much love they can give. They're full of funny quirks and know the ways of the world, hence why they'll test your patience at the table or bound up to greet you. Thank you for being her friend. :)

My finances are up in the air until I get the time to buy my books for the semester, but send me your Paypal info as well.

AsecretK
Dec 10, 2004
Oh God, this has me sitting at work with tears in my eyes :( I hear so much of people moving and just leaving their cats behind. I just don't understand how people can be so cruel.

Another suggestion is to get kitten food or even kitten milk suppliment. It may help put some weight on her. You can also try some of the meat baby foods mixed with warm water to get her to eat more.

Zombiesinmyshower!
Nov 14, 2006

by angerbotSD
Is there anything else you need for supplies? I can send some cans of food or something. I want to help, but I don't have spare money to spend - so I'm trying to think of something I would have on hand that I could send along.

What other things do you need?

EDIT - also for weight gain you might want to pick up some NutriCal and slip it into her food - its chock full of happy weight gaining magic.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

AsecretK posted:

Another suggestion is to get kitten food or even kitten milk suppliment. It may help put some weight on her. You can also try some of the meat baby foods mixed with warm water to get her to eat more.

This is a good idea! If there is time I will pick up some KMR and throw it in the package. You just mix it with warm water and it would probably help her quite a bit! She could just lap it up! Brilliant!

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

Even though I know she is just being a normal cat and curling up inside of things, this picture makes me sad because you have that cuteness mixed with the symbolism of her sitting in a dustbin, like she's ready to be tossed out and disposed of.

I thought it was cute when I took the picture, but when I went back and looked at it afterwards it made me sad, too. :(

Lawlita posted:

Reading this thread went from making me really sad to really proud. It warms my heart to see people reaching out to poor Henrietta. It's like 101 Dalmations, except instead of helping puppies get back home, you're helping her find a loving home.

Everyone in this thread is an amazing person for caring about Henrietta, and I wish I had a better way to express my gratitude.

CREEPY WHORE posted:

PM me your address, I'm going to see about sending SOMETHING along, even though I've got no cash to speak of.

Mhaimeo posted:

I have an old lady cat as well, and I know how much love they can give. They're full of funny quirks and know the ways of the world, hence why they'll test your patience at the table or bound up to greet you. Thank you for being her friend. :)

My finances are up in the air until I get the time to buy my books for the semester, but send me your Paypal info as well.

Old lady cats are the best ever :)

I sent the info to you both, but don't deprive yourselves. People have given her so much already. She'll be okay.

AsecretK posted:

That sounds like a really good idea. I'll go buy some today.

Zombiesinmyshower! posted:

Is there anything else you need for supplies? I can send some cans of food or something. I want to help, but I don't have spare money to spend - so I'm trying to think of something I would have on hand that I could send along.

What other things do you need?

EDIT - also for weight gain you might want to pick up some NutriCal and slip it into her food - its chock full of happy weight gaining magic.

Don't overstretch yourself! She'll be ok. :) People are already sending lots of food, so in the future Henrietta should be a very happy, well-fed cat.

But if you (or anyone) have an extra stiff grooming brush or something like that laying around, that would be really helpful. I bought one for her a while back and she likes it a lot, but it's cheaply made and it doesn't pull the dirt and tangles out of her fur very effectively.

Farewell Horizon posted:

This is a good idea! If there is time I will pick up some KMR and throw it in the package. You just mix it with warm water and it would probably help her quite a bit! She could just lap it up! Brilliant!

Thank you!

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Oh god, this is so sad. :( If she wasn't so old and feeble, I'd tell you to box her up and ship her to me right now. I wish I was closer - I'd adopt her in a heartbeat!

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug
I wanted to show you the first thing I see when I look out my kitchen window in the morning:

Henrietta likes to hang out on top of the little shed over the water heater behind our back door and soak up the residual heat. Getting to spy on me while I make her breakfast is just an additional bonus.

I tried maplecheese's suggestion and made cat food soup for her this morning, and she ate it all without any problems! :)

I brushed her a lot yesterday but her coat is still filthy. Once it heats up enough outside, it's bath time.

Fnordia posted:

Oh god, this is so sad. If she wasn't so old and feeble, I'd tell you to box her up and ship her to me right now. I wish I was closer - I'd adopt her in a heartbeat! :(

Thank you :) Hopefully someone in LA will feel the same way as you, and take her home.

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 22, 2009

NatashaQuick
Jun 30, 2007

No Mr. Bond,
I expect you to die.
I got my cat brush from Wal Mart for about $3. It's got metal bristles and works well, and my cats love it! Anything with wire bristles should do the job.

Edit: looks like you got that taken care of :P

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
I'm so glad she ate! I've never wanted to live anywhere close to a big city until now, I wish I lived close to you because I'd take her in a heartbeat. She'd live in my house and be my buddy for the rest of her life. I'm looking for an adult cat and she has just captured my heart (along with the rest of Pet Island). Thank you for taking care of her, and thank you Pet Island for helping! I'm so glad she's getting the help she needs.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
This thread is amazing, it's always surprising to see people being so generous.

You're really a nice person for caring so much about this cat lurgulary, it won't change the world but it's still a very nice thing to do.

Don't forget to continue to tell her story and post more picture as she gets better.

Zombiesinmyshower!
Nov 14, 2006

by angerbotSD
I love her cute little face peeking in the window!!!!!!

I'm glad the watered down soup food worked!

BaseballChica03
Jan 12, 2006

Oh, this thread! :love: I love PI for rallying around Henrietta like this. PM me if you need anything else; I'd be glad to help.

Moraine Sedai
Jan 17, 2006

Nap time yet?

I'm glad the watered down soup food worked!

OH! Since cat food soup is working better for her, you might need to get a can of pumpkin - NOT the pie filling stuff with spices, etc., but just plain canned pumpkin - and put a bit of that in her mix, too. The "soup" is probably going to give her the runs a bit but better than her not being able to eat, so the pumpkin will help firm them back up a bit with the fiber in it.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

So what if, hypothetically say, you could get a vet visit for Henrietta. Do people think that would that help or just bring up a laundry list of things that the OP can't afford to fix?

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Well I'm thinking she should have a vet visit anyways. It's possible that beyond the teeth and fleas she is perfectly healthy and would be perfectly adoptable. Moraine is sending money for deworming meds and I am sending some dental stuff, and with yawnies flea meds, she has a good start.

My cat has a degenerative tooth disease, and if Henrietta has the same, she will need teeth pulled and antibiotics, and eventually a cleaning. If the tooth pulling and antibiotics and a checkup could be managed between PI's donations and the OP's funds, and she has no other major illnesses, I think it should be made a priority so she can eat and fatten up until a home can be found for her.

Moraine Sedai
Jan 17, 2006

Nap time yet?

Doctor Zero posted:

So what if, hypothetically say, you could get a vet visit for Henrietta. Do people think that would that help or just bring up a laundry list of things that the OP can't afford to fix?

I would say that that would be for the OP to decide if Care Credit is then an option or see if the vet would work with them to get proper care for Henrietta. Or to see if there is a rescue or shelter in the area that could take her in or knows of someone who can foster her.

Or heaven forbid she has something dire and incurable, at least she can be seen off with dignity and no pain instead of slowly starving to death on the street.

Personally, I would consider my money still well spent even if the worst should come of this. It is the attempt to better this stray's life that is important to me, at least.

Doing my little part to curb the feral/stray population in my neighborhood, I've paid for vet visits, spays or neuters, etc. for dozens of cats out here that I cannot take into my home on a permanent basis and have no rehoming prospects for. I know that they will probably never have a real home, but at least I'm doing what I can to contribute to helping these animals when no one else will.

In my thoughts, Henrietta is yet another stray in need of my help and if all I can do is send someone else a bit of money to see if she's got a chance, it's all good. ;)

Edit: Basically ended up saying the same thing as FH. :P

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Moraine Sedai posted:

Personally, I would consider my money still well spent even if the worst should come of this. It is the attempt to better this stray's life that is important to me, at least.

This, basically. Find out if its worth it (or even possible) to put more money into her and then go from there, one thing at a time.

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!

KingColliwog posted:

*snip*

it won't change the world but it's still a very nice thing to do.

*snip*

It's changing the world for Henrietta. :)

You all made me smile and cry a bit today. Thanks for restoring my faith in humanity.

And I second or third or thousandth that I want to keep up with her story.

Help Me Im Hungry
Jan 3, 2005
lurgulary please email me at with a paypal address. This has made me more sad than anything else I have read on here.

edit: if youre still accepting donations

Help Me Im Hungry fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Aug 15, 2007

Cat Pilot
Jan 29, 2003

I'll see how my finances are after this weekend and will probably throw money your way as well.

Arg, hate/love threads like these.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

I'd also like to send along a donation to put toward a vet visit or whatever, I have a bunch of extra money sitting around in paypal. :) Can you PM me your e-mail me your paypal info? my email is skoolmunkee at gmail.

Also the advice my vets have given me whenever my kitties don't feel like eating is to try baby food. It's easy for them to lap up and not too bad for them (though I doubt it would make a good long-term diet).

She's a lovely girl and I'm glad she seems to have found a good home :)

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.

maplecheese posted:

How long does this stuff take to kill adult fleas? I want Henrietta to get snuggles. :(

The Bayer rep told us that it takes up to 12 hours to kill every flea if applied correctly, but they usually start jumping off before then.

I know I'm a crazy cat lady when I start mentally going through my finances to see if I have the money for a cat to be shipped across the country.

(I don't :()

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
It may take a few runs to clean the fleas.

Its nice you are helping this cat. I found mine as an abandoned kitten.

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug

NatashaQuick posted:

I got my cat brush from Wal Mart for about $3. It's got metal bristles and works well, and my cats love it! Anything with wire bristles should do the job.

Weirdly enough there are no Wal-Marts or Targets or anything like that within a 15 mile radius of my apartment. My neighborhood is kind of strange. I'll be on the lookout for a wire brush though, thank you.

randomity posted:

I'm so glad she ate! I've never wanted to live anywhere close to a big city until now, I wish I lived close to you because I'd take her in a heartbeat. She'd live in my house and be my buddy for the rest of her life. I'm looking for an adult cat and she has just captured my heart (along with the rest of Pet Island). Thank you for taking care of her, and thank you Pet Island for helping! I'm so glad she's getting the help she needs.

Thank you for caring about her! :)

KingColliwog posted:

This thread is amazing, it's always surprising to see people being so generous.

You're really a nice person for caring so much about this cat lurgulary, it won't change the world but it's still a very nice thing to do.

Don't forget to continue to tell her story and post more picture as she gets better.

Thank you. I'll keep you guys informed, don't worry. She is going to be a very happy cat in the near future :)

She does that every single morning and it makes my day.

BaseballChica03 posted:

Oh, this thread! :love: I love PI for rallying around Henrietta like this. PM me if you need anything else; I'd be glad to help.

I think she's okay for supplies and financial help at this point, but if something else comes up I'll let you know. Thank you very much.

Moraine Sedai posted:

OH! Since cat food soup is working better for her, you might need to get a can of pumpkin - NOT the pie filling stuff with spices, etc., but just plain canned pumpkin - and put a bit of that in her mix, too. The "soup" is probably going to give her the runs a bit but better than her not being able to eat, so the pumpkin will help firm them back up a bit with the fiber in it.

This sounds like a really good idea, thank you. I'll pick some pumpkin up tonight. Do you think it's safe to just mix a big batch of cat food/pumpkin all at once and store it in the fridge, or would it be better to do it one meal at a time?

Doctor Zero, Farewell Horizon, and Moraine Sedai posted:

Vet stuff

I will definitely take her to get a checkup now that you guys have made it financially doable for me. Whatever the vet says she needs, I'll find a way to give it to her.

Moraine Sedai
Jan 17, 2006

Nap time yet?

lurgulary posted:

This sounds like a really good idea, thank you. I'll pick some pumpkin up tonight. Do you think it's safe to just mix a big batch of cat food/pumpkin all at once and store it in the fridge, or would it be better to do it one meal at a time?

I would try one meal first in case she won't like the pumpkin mixed in - that way you don't waste any food that she *will* eat. If she goes for it, then I would only mix up enough for about 3 days and refrigerate it only taking out enough for one meal to bring to room temperature before feeding.

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug

Lipumira posted:

It's changing the world for Henrietta. :)

You all made me smile and cry a bit today. Thanks for restoring my faith in humanity.

And I second or third or thousandth that I want to keep up with her story.

It definitely is. :)

I don't even know how many times I've started crying while reading and responding here, but it's a lot. Everyone here is amazing.

Help Me Im Hungry posted:

lurgulary please email me with a paypal address. This has made me more sad than anything else I have read on here.

Sent, thank you very much.

Karjia posted:

I'll see how my finances are after this weekend and will probably throw money your way as well.

Arg, hate/love threads like these.

Don't overstretch yourself. Henrietta's gotten so much help already. But thank you for caring about her. :)

skoolmunkee posted:

I'd also like to send along a donation to put toward a vet visit or whatever, I have a bunch of extra money sitting around in paypal. :) Can you PM me your e-mail me your paypal info? my email is skoolmunkee at gmail.

Also the advice my vets have given me whenever my kitties don't feel like eating is to try baby food. It's easy for them to lap up and not too bad for them (though I doubt it would make a good long-term diet).

She's a lovely girl and I'm glad she seems to have found a good home :)

Sent, thank you so much.

Baby food's a good idea. Next time she stops eating halfway through I'll try giving her some of that instead.

yawnie posted:

I know I'm a crazy cat lady when I start mentally going through my finances to see if I have the money for a cat to be shipped across the country.

(I don't :()

That's so sweet of you!

If only we were all filthy rich. No cat would ever go homeless again. :(

Bedevere posted:

Its nice you are helping this cat. I found mine as an abandoned kitten.

Good for you. It seems like most people in PI have rescue pets.

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE
Oct 27, 2006

]
Pillbug
Henrietta had a bath today!

It was an absolutely miserable experience for both of us. She hated every minute, and tried like hell to get away. She was so scared that she lost control of her bladder and wet herself. :(

I couldn't take any pictures during it, because it was a two-handed job, but here's the container I used for a bathtub. All the dirt that used to be on her is in the water.

As terrified as she was, she never once tried to scratch me. And as soon as the bath was over, she shook herself off and trotted back over to me asking to be petted.

I put her in my lap and turned her over to dry off her belly fur, which is when I saw a mass of incredibly large fleas scrambling over her stomach and burrowing under her armpits. I am really, really proud of myself for not freaking out and dropping her.

I tried to pick them off and squish them with tweezers, but Henrietta didn't like being held upside down very much and kept squirming away. So her belly is still covered with blood-bloated fleas. :(

Now that all the dirt's washed off of her face, you can see a streak running down her jaw by the place where her tooth fell out. She's constantly drooling out of the gap. It's just a little at a time, but she can't clean herself there, so it accumulates. She was so dirty that I never even noticed before. :(

She yawned while I was checking up on her after the bath and I managed to get a blurry picture of the inside of her mouth:

She looks really pretty now that she's all clean. She seems a little happier, too, but maybe it's just that I'm so relieved she doesn't hate me. :shobon:

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 22, 2009

Help Me Im Hungry
Jan 3, 2005

lurgulary posted:

Now that all the dirt's washed off of her face, you can see a streak running down her jaw by the place where her tooth fell out. She's constantly drooling out of the gap. It's just a little at a time, but she can't clean herself there, so it accumulates. She was so dirty that I never even noticed before. :(

My cat also drools like that, he had his tounge sewed back on after a crazy fight and now drools like that a lot. :)

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Help Me Im Hungry posted:

My cat also drools like that, he had his tounge sewed back on after a crazy fight and now drools like that a lot. :)

At a glance, your kitty looks an awful lot like my kitty. The picture makes her look a lot more orange than she is--she's really more of the orange creamsicle shade yours looks in that picture.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pineapple
Jan 14, 2003

by Fistgrrl
The picture's not clear, but it looks like she has a good amount of tartar on her teeth. When you take her to the vet don't be afraid to get teeth pulled, she'll eat much better when her mouth doesn't hurt anymore even if she's minus a few molars. Get the bad teeth out, two weeks of antibiotics, and she should be chowing down with gusto.

My nearing 17 year old girl only has one molar left, she's not good with kibble but she'll gum the hell out of anything else.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Pineapple posted:

The picture's not clear, but it looks like she has a good amount of tartar on her teeth. When you take her to the vet don't be afraid to get teeth pulled, she'll eat much better when her mouth doesn't hurt anymore even if she's minus a few molars. Get the bad teeth out, two weeks of antibiotics, and she should be chowing down with gusto.

My nearing 17 year old girl only has one molar left, she's not good with kibble but she'll gum the hell out of anything else.

My orange kitty had all the teeth yanked out because they were rotting. Imagine the kitty breath. EW! He eats hard dry kibble just fine. I don't know how, but he does. O.o

Pineapple
Jan 14, 2003

by Fistgrrl

daggerdragon posted:

My orange kitty had all the teeth yanked out because they were rotting. Imagine the kitty breath. EW! He eats hard dry kibble just fine. I don't know how, but he does. O.o

Hahaha, yeah. It's not that she won't try kibble, it's that she swallows them whole. Then her tummy full of hard little kibbles gets upset and *urrk-urrk-URRRRK* slimy kibbles all over my bed.

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.

lurgulary posted:

I put her in my lap and turned her over to dry off her belly fur, which is when I saw a mass of incredibly large fleas scrambling over her stomach and burrowing under her armpits. I am really, really proud of myself for not freaking out and dropping her.

Oh dear. She must have problems grooming herself there. Which wouldn't be surprising for a 10-year-old cat in poor health...

Yawnie, are you tracking that package? How close is it?! :(

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.

maplecheese posted:

Yawnie, are you tracking that package? How close is it?! :(

I sent it Priority but I'm all the way in Tennessee so it'll probably be another 2-3 more days :( Poor Henrietta. At least she's clean now.

Katisu
Jul 14, 2006

oh god. if my husband wasn't allergic and if we weren't in indiana...what a cutie.

i don't have any cats, so i don't have any cat supplies around, but if you think of anything else that you need, let me know. i don't have platinum, but i'll keep an eye on this thread.

i can't express how happy i am that you are caring for this cat. you're a great person. you deserve a hug!

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

lurgulary posted:

Mouth shot

Nice shot!

Looks like she'll at least need some teeth pulled and some antibiotics. The antibiotics are cheap, though. Like I said, one of the cats has terrible teeth. Once they were cleaned and the bad ones pulled, he started eating much more. Dentist said he'd had a minor infection for ages. Once everything cleared up, his personality intensified and hes clearly happier.

The pet store was out of KMR so I bought some kitty nutrient paste stuff. It's got alot of calories and vitamins, and she should be able to lick it up.

I was hoping for KMR though, thinking you could mix it up and then add it to wet food instead of hot water to make cat food soup. Oh well. I missed the post office today, I forgot I had an appointment so I wasn't able to get there. It will go out tomorrow for absolute certain. I will make it a priority.

squeak
Sep 20, 2006

Not quite what expected.
If anything, I'm sure Henrietta loves the attention, and probably feels a little better now that she has less fleas. :)

I'm also glad that the cat soup idea is working well. It's left to wonder when she was last able to wolf down her meal, I can't wait to see her more fattened up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pogoman
Oct 24, 2005

I go Pogo.
lurgulary,

I've been following this post intently.
Why don't you email me your address at pogothegreat@gmail.com and I'll send the KMR and a wire kitty brush. Tell me what else you need, and I'll try to send that stuff as well. Hopefully, I can do it during lunch tomorrow.

One of my cats, Pogo, was a stray, and I always feel incredibly sad when I think how he was abandoned by his former owners.