Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.
I have so much extra flea stuff for my cats. I would be MORE than happy to mail you some.

Have you called some rescues? I don't understand how anybody could resist such a beautiful kitty, with such a sad story. It's breaking my heart :( I wish I didn't live on the other side of the country.

Edit: Me too :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.
I don't have platinum so you can't PM me, but if you want to sent me a message on AIM my screen name is smackmybucket, or e-mail me at paigehcsm@comcast.net with an address and I'll get it in the mail immediately.

Have you checked her mouth? Are her teeth covered in tarter? Does she have an abscess or are her gums inflamed? I'm just wondering how bad her teeth problems really are.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.
lurgulary, I just packed up her flea meds and it's going Priority Mail. I included a piece of paper with some information on it, but I'll just repeat it here. I'm sending a 3-month supply of Advantage Multi which is a new product for cats that will treat AND prevent several parasites.

- Fleas
- Feline Heartworms
- Roundworms
- Hookworms
- Ear Mites

For the most effective results, I would not bathe her 24 hours before or after applying the medication. Start by parting the hair on the back of her neck and apply just enough liquid to coat the skin, and then move to another spot slightly lower. Now make sure to read this: The stuff I'm sending is for cats 9lbs and over, which I don't think she is, but it's all I had. Also, she's underweight and sick. I checked with my vet and he said to only apply half the tube, and then see how it works. If it's not working, you can put the other half on in a day or two. It's great stuff because it covers so many things, but it is strong, so we need to be careful not to overload her already weakened immune system.

Anyways, not trying to scare you, I just don't want anything else happening to the poor girl.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.

maplecheese posted:

How long does this stuff take to kill adult fleas? I want Henrietta to get snuggles. :(

The Bayer rep told us that it takes up to 12 hours to kill every flea if applied correctly, but they usually start jumping off before then.

I know I'm a crazy cat lady when I start mentally going through my finances to see if I have the money for a cat to be shipped across the country.

(I don't :()

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.

maplecheese posted:

Yawnie, are you tracking that package? How close is it?! :(

I sent it Priority but I'm all the way in Tennessee so it'll probably be another 2-3 more days :( Poor Henrietta. At least she's clean now.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.

Madama Butterfly posted:

When you take her to the vet, ask them if Revolution would be ok for her. It kills adult fleas and keeps the eggs from hatching, and it works very fast too. Fleas would be dead within a few days.

And, if you can't afford Revolution, I will send you 2 months' worth for her. Email: sndpul @ yahoo. com

It's totally worth it, because you just put it on them once a month, and you don't have to worry about it for 30 days.

This is a great suggestion, but I actually just sent her three months worth of Advantage Multi, which does exactly the same thing as Revolution.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.
Sorry lurgulary, I should have warned you that some cats and dogs freak like you're giving them a shot. I've gotten the solution on myself plenty of times and it has never burned or caused any pain. So she is fine, probably just a little miffed that you're messing up her pretty hair :)

I hope the flea stuff works!

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.

The Hoobit posted:

And the man smiled, picked up another starfish, and said: "It matters to this one."

:unsmith:

I hate you for making me tear up over something so sappy and stupid. I'm going to tell this story to everyone I know.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.
Honestly, it doesn't look like an abscess to me. I would definitely get it checked but I don't think you need to be THAT concerned. Abscesses are very serious - Cats can run extremely high temperatures and be dead in no time. I think you'd know if that's what it is. I see a lot of cats with chin acne, and scabbies along their neck and back as well. It may just be the early stages of a miliary or flea allergy dermatitis, very common and easily treatable.

If she were coming into my clinic and you, as the client, asked my opinion on what are the most important things she needs while still keeping within your budget range, I would suggest -

1. FELV/FIV Test (usually $30-$50)
2. Fecal Float (to check for parasites, usually between $10-$20)
3. General exam, focusing on the mouth (can range from $15 to $75 depending on where you go)
4. Spaying IF you can find a low-cost spay/neuter clinic that can handle geriatric cats

Vaccinating her would be nice but that can shoot the bill up pretty high, and if she needs dental cleaning and antibiotics, you're already looking at a pretty hefty bill. So that's my opinion, at the risk of sounding like a bossy, snobby know-it-all :)

And again, if you need ANYTHING vet related, as long as it's not a prescription medication I would be more than happy to get some at my discounted rate and mail them to you. I just ordered a bunch of the CET dental hygiene products for my dog, and the prices are very reasonable when ordered through a vet. I got a 500ml bottle of Aquadent, the stuff you put in their water, for $10. So if your vet says to get some, but if you can't afford it, don't hesitate to let me know and I'll express it to you.

Yay for Henrietta!

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.

pogoman posted:

This question isn't intended to be snippy:
Why do a FELV/FIV test? If she tests positive, there is no cure. The OP has no other cats. The only danger is to other free-roaming cats, and the solution to that danger is to put down Henrietta. Or, adopt Henrietta into a single-pet family.

You answered your own question :) If the OP is going to care for this kitty, it's morally unacceptable to turn a blind eye and adopt an ignorance is bliss attitude. If Henrietta is an infectious source to other cats, something needs to be done to prevent the disease from spreading.

Also, it's important to know if she's positive to help the vets determine the best treatment plan for her dental issues - Retrovirus positive cats, in some cases, must be treated differently than healthy cats.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.

pogoman posted:

You're absolutely right...but what a burden to bear if Henrietta tests positive for FIV/FELV. Getting someone to adopt an old cat is no easy task, and I'd hate to see Henrietta put down.

No joke :/ I'd hate it if she was positive, but it's just too important to ignore.

lugulary, don't feel bad about Henrietta waiting a few weeks for treatment.. If it weren't for you, she would have no best friend, no food and she'd still have fleas. Try to look at the big picture.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.

Moraine Sedai posted:

Yawnie - is there anything that can be done to clean the chin up in the meantime? Peroxide and then neosporin maybe? Both topical, she can't really lick that off in the spot it's in, etc. ??

It's worth a shot since she can't lick it off, but she may still scratch it with her back legs. The only way to prevent that would be with an e-collar but that's not really safe for an outdoor cat. I would recommend some diluted betadine solution to clean the area thoroughly and then coat it with a triple antibiotic ointment, and see how long she keeps it on.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.

SurprisingWoman posted:

You can have an FIV positive kitty with non-positive kitties without a problem:

http://www.bestfriends.org/theanimals/petcare/cats_fiv.cfm

FELV would still be a concern, but is often symptomatic earlier.

In a controlled home enviornment with owners that knows the risks, yes it can work out. But how do you think FIV is transmitted? 9 times out of 10, it's by stray cats that fight to defend their territory, and pass it on to other cats via bite wounds. I wasn't saying that euthanasia is the only option for FIV/FELV positive cats, in fact I believe quite the opposite. But I do think that testing to rule out a potential infectious source roaming around a neighborhood is a very important thing to do.

BaseballChica03 posted:

Is Neosporin even good for cats? I had a nasty allergic rash the last time I used it - two and a half months ago! - that still hasn't gone away (despite three doctors visits and a prescription cream to counteract it).

Triple antibiotic ointment is used in many veterinary products including opthalmics and dermatological meds. I've never seen a reaction, but that's not to say it's impossible.

More yays for Henrietta and her potential new home :) This thread has had an amazing turnaround.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.
The Advantage Multi I sent is a systemic medication that treats and prevents roundworms and hookworms. I think you applied it around the 16th so she is still protected. Tapeworms are still a possibility but they wouldn't cause a distended stomach and you would likely see them crawling around her tail area.

So she's probably just getting a good meal somewhere else :)