Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

goferchan posted:

Pretty sure the "A/B testing" is using the old nodelete flag -- if you've ever donated or kept a Mr. A. in your inventory over a rollover, you don't see ads-- please chime in if your experience contradicts this, though. I can't argue with not showing ads to anyone who's ever donated, $10 offering a permanent no-ads seems like a pretty decent deal and I can't imagine playing the game even semi-seriously and never grabbing a Mr. A-- are these ads showing up off the bat for new accounts, though? Not that I think that's "unfair" in any way but I think that may exacerbate the shrinking userbase problem that necessitated the ads in the first place; it's a hard enough game to get into and if I were brand new the presence of big-rear end "COME PLAY, MY LORD" banners on either side of the adventure window might just be enough to make me say gently caress it.

I've played since 2009 and I got no ads. I also use adblock plus so your mileage may vary on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

I think that it's pretty obvious at this point that I no longer play this game, and that there's a small number of diehards (of which I am not one of) that keeps this thread active. Pretty much the only reason that I still exist in this thread (or, for that matter, in the goonclan itself) is because I have way too loving much meat and I don't know how to sell it all before I retire from this thread for goodsies.

If one of you more-diehards wants to remake the thread (I am aware of how painfully out of date and bloated my OP is), I will happily close this down.

If one of you wants to buy any meat, exceptionally expensive Mr. A familiars (bittens, doppelshifters, etc), or anything else off of me, I'll sell things at $10 USD = 18million meat mall value, and I've got billions to go through.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sputnik posted:

I think that it's pretty obvious at this point that I no longer play this game, and that there's a small number of diehards (of which I am not one of) that keeps this thread active. Pretty much the only reason that I still exist in this thread (or, for that matter, in the goonclan itself) is because I have way too loving much meat and I don't know how to sell it all before I retire from this thread for goodsies.

If one of you more-diehards wants to remake the thread (I am aware of how painfully out of date and bloated my OP is), I will happily close this down.

If one of you wants to buy any meat, exceptionally expensive Mr. A familiars (bittens, doppelshifters, etc), or anything else off of me, I'll sell things at $10 USD = 18million meat mall value, and I've got billions to go through.

I might take a stab in the next day or two. I think I still have my OP rewrite saved.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Please dont include the section about me robbing the goon clan and spending it all on a losing MMG bet because it happened literally 10 years ago and im really sorry :(

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

goferchan posted:

Please dont include the section about me robbing the goon clan and spending it all on a losing MMG bet because it happened literally 10 years ago and im really sorry :(

Just what is MMG exactly? I've heard about it as the way that a few folks have made their KOL fortunes but nothing beyond that.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Dante Logos posted:

Just what is MMG exactly? I've heard about it as the way that a few folks have made their KOL fortunes but nothing beyond that.

Money Making Game. 50/50 shot of doubling your bet, no limit as long as someone takes you up on it or vice versa. Easy way to either make a ton or go broke (usually the latter).

Graveyardstick
Nov 18, 2007

Are you too depressed to finish biting through that piece of toast?

goferchan posted:

The statute of limitations for robbery is 12 years. <:mad:>

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

I like the new challenge path. Do miss my boots, though.

I'm in the middle of a run, so my next comment might be completely wrong, or I'm an incompetent goof. But this challenge path really seems to show how strange the difficulty curve is with fights, since many of the low-level quest locations have high water. It always seems to take me a couple of levels before I can really start nuking things as a sauceror, or get my fighting style going, since you need to have enough MP to get everything going.

It's better with Smith stuff, since you get a lot of bonuses, but it's quite noticeable in other challenge paths.

Then again, I am kind of crap at this game.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

Jeff the Mediocre posted:

I'm in the middle of a run, so my next comment might be completely wrong, or I'm an incompetent goof. But this challenge path really seems to show how strange the difficulty curve is with fights, since many of the low-level quest locations have high water. It always seems to take me a couple of levels before I can really start nuking things as a sauceror, or get my fighting style going, since you need to have enough MP to get everything going.

It's better with Smith stuff, since you get a lot of bonuses, but it's quite noticeable in other challenge paths.

This path would be poo poo for everyone without the Smithtome. It gets pretty fun though once you start collecting the path specific skills, then you quickly become overpowered like in every other path, even with max rain depth.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jeff the Mediocre posted:

The real secret is that the monsters who give skills only show up when the water is at the highest. Unfortunately, by default this can only be gotten in underground zones, so you need to hit up something like Hobopolis early on in order to get the engine going. (Monster 1 shows up on the 10th turn of the ascension, give or take a turn.) Probably worth blowing a golden light.

After you do that, invest in Thundercloud, so you can grab Rainy Day from the skill monster that shows up indoors, which will let you adventure in maximum depth just about anywhere.

It also means you can start investing in Lightning skills from the skill monster from Outdoors, and he has a ton of +Spell Damage and +MP skills.

Should have the new thread up in a day or two. Trying to write a bit more on challenge paths, does any one have anything else that they want.

SnotGrumble
Jun 4, 2003

All men live in fear of him and his Moxie.
I'd like to see a comparison of some of the recent iotms. For instance, the different gardens and how good they are for different types of ascensions.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.

SnotGrumble posted:

I'd like to see a comparison of some of the recent iotms. For instance, the different gardens and how good they are for different types of ascensions.

http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/index.php/Hardcore_IOTM_Analysis

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Yay! (but also - the underlying problems still exist. so boooooo.)

SnotGrumble
Jun 4, 2003

All men live in fear of him and his Moxie.

Perfect. Didn't even consider that the wiki had caught up with that many IOTMs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3659981