Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
Applied to The Protected as Unponderable, Seal Clubber. They've really cleaned up the low level quests in the last three years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
Applied to clan as Unponderable.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
Has anyone figured out a practical use for the disguises? They don't circumvent requiring the special items for mass kills, from what I could tell.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
HC Run #2 of Avatar of Boris is going much better than Run #1. Finished well into level 5 at the end of the first day. This time, I went with astral shorts instead of astral belt, burned my first three points to get to Legendary Bravado and Demand Sandwich, traded in my pork gems for Clancy's crumhorn first thing I could, and picked up Song of Accompaniment at level 2 since the extra MP from astral shorts meant I had plenty of MP to burn. Ended up getting astral drinks which I'm planning on saving for day 3/4/5.

I'm planning on doing Feasting at least through Heroic Belch, then I can't decide whether to throw the rest down Feasting for More to Love and Barrel Chested or Shouting for the Song of Solitude/Fortune.

Any other hardcore Borisers have tips for subsequent runs?

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

Kaboobi posted:

Go Feasting all the way. Gourmand will generate an extra adventure per fullness you consume, which on a 6 day run is a shitload of turns.

I know it's effectively 25-30 adventures/day, but the 20% NC song is just so tempting to pick up for cutting turns and improving real-life adventuring time.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
Jick is clearly trolling us with this IOTM coming out just after introducing the challenge path that renders the IOTM useless.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

The Midniter posted:

9 more days until Olfaction. Can't wait. This is going to knock at least 200 turns off of my runs...I might even get under 1k!

16 lucre left for me. I'd be more excited if I wasn't determined to do Boris runs for the next two months, but it'll be nice to not worry about farming lucre during my runs in the mean time.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

Capntastic posted:

Is The Sea even done yet? I've been holding off on it pretty much entirely under the assumption that there's still a few more zones to be slotted in, making the entire gauntlet of busywork 'worth it'. I mean, new content is cool and all, but not when it is specifically designed to take as much effort as possible.

According to Mr. Skullhead's recent AMA on Reddit, The Sea is next in line for a revamp. I wouldn't be surprised to see it in a month or two.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

sfwarlock posted:

Or for a lazier option, sniff the stone sheep and sell the wool in the mall.

Wool's up to nearly 5k meat apiece in the mall. This is definitely the best option til the meat drop inevitably gets nerfed.

Edit: It's been nerfed.

Unponderable fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 23, 2012

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

bigmcgaffney posted:

Don't forget dick-stabbing and bitching about every new IoTM being a boring cash grab.

I mostly get aggravated by all the speed-runner circle jerks. I don't see much point bitching about IOTMs being cash grabs. IOTMs are literally how they feed their kids. They're all cash grabs to some extent or another.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

rlauthe posted:

The PvP revamp made PvP no longer relevant in-run, but added a reward skillbook that gives an HC permed passive boost.

PVP still has some slight relevance! Each PVP fight makes you lose one turn of your buffs and debuffs without using an adventure, which is handy for getting rid of debuffs like Beaten Up and Teleportitis when you don't have any antidote thingies. Saved me a bunch of adventures in my recent Bad Moon runs.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

Toffile posted:

Looks like the abilities so far are ... improving item drops under the sea.

Does this mean that the gnome can breathe underwater?

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
Quick poll: How much real-life time per day do you all spend playing this game (and what do you usually do with your turns)?

I play about 1-1.5 hours each day (and 3 hours on an ascension day), typically chaining 5 day hardcore runs. I'm by no means the best player ever but I feel like if I want to play any more ~optimal~, I'm putting too much thought and time into my turns and it becomes less fun.

Anyway, I was just wondering if I was spending dramatically more or less than the median playtime.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

Kaboobi posted:

Announcement: A new item has been added (permanently) to Mr. Store. Monster Manuel, who will help you gather monster data!

uh

...and every completionist in the Kingdom just shat a brick.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

CrimsonWolf posted:

pretty terrible so far, and I am doing a kitty core DB run for my first bad moon run. I miss my Emilio familiaer that I used for my trendy run in to this.

Kittycore caused me to quit the game for three years, so don't feel too bad about dropping it if it's not fun.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
Finally got internet access back only to find out I missed a one time item, gahhh.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

H2Omelon posted:

:siren:Goons interested in a hamster please check the planning thread in the in-game message board for current scheduling info. You Americans may be able to get more hamster runs in on a weekday evening, but someone else will need to lead them, otherwise the weekend of the 12th/13th is looking like the most likely time for a run or two. I can make an effort post about exactly what everyone has to do in a hamster run if needed, because everybody may not have those guides I linked.

I just did some napkin math, and I can power level in about six more days to be a Super Hodgman killer using the Fancypotato Scarecrow method (with 3640 hp, 60% chance of blocking all five attacks). I'll start grinding, but having an alternative/backup killer would be preferable.

Have there been any items introduced in the last year or so not reflected in the guides that might help kill Super Hodgman (aside from Fancypants Scarecrow)? Perhaps an Avatar of Boris or a Zombie Master would make a good boss killer.

Edit: Here's my alternative super Hodgman killing idea. Requires Zombie Slayer with Howl of the Alpha and Zombie Maestro and a Box of bear arms. Equip right bear arm and whatever offhand. Round 1 is Howl of the Alpha (12.5k damage), Round 2 is Grizzly Scene (6.25k damage), Round 3 is Zombie Maestro with 1.1 million zombies in the tank (2.2 million raw damage, 6.3k mitigated damage). It would cost around 88 million meat to summon that many zombies, but since I don't think they're all consumed, they would be reusable for future kills. Dead in three rounds with no power leveling necessary. You could also equip a skulldozer or reagnimated gnome with lung to help avoid the two Hodgman attacks.

Edit 2: For Richie Riches, obviously.

Unponderable fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 4, 2013

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
PSA: Supposedly access to the psychosis jars (but not progress) resets at rollover, in case anyone (like me) is dumb enough to use a Jick jar without 374 adventures in the bank.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

sfwarlock posted:

Did you buy the Jick jar, or did you See The Button?

Got mine with the now-fixed URL manipulation bug.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

sfwarlock posted:

Or, as I was hinting at, so someone who Sees the Jick Button doesn't buy every empty jar in the mall and manufacture tons of Jick jars.

Except you can only fill one jar per day.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
I should be down as a potential Hodg killer for this weekend.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

Ariong posted:

If you are in a HC run and you have a Camp Scout Backpack in Hagnk's, you will still receive the items as if you are wearing it.

Way to read the context of the question.

To answer the question, it's about pulling gear with modifiers like +/-combat rate, +MP Regen, +ML, +mainstat, and +item. In addition to the suggestions already posted, consider the Space Trip Safety Headphones, a Mr. A Junior, monster bait, and even the daily dungeon accessories. You have to balance it with the stat requirements, however. There's also outfit pieces you can pull if you want to skip getting them in run.

For consumables it's about balancing massive turngen with level requirements and things like fortune cookies or key lime pies. The bigger the fullness/drunkenness per consumable, the fewer you'll have to pull.

For long term SC runs, it'd be inexpensive but well worthwhile to invest in a Boris helm or the current Snow Suit.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
Is tonight the night, or is it tomorrow night? I can never figure out how dates work in this game.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
So assuming the new level 10 zones are bunk for farming, what'll the hot new place to robo-farm be? Meat farming the icy peak again? Item farming tatters or milks? An undisclosed Sea farming strategy?

[related protip: rain-doh/putty + olfaction works]

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

tripwood posted:

So, cosmic buckets and fragments of Jarlsberg's souls are tradable. I actually think this is a great idea, since it will only help sink Mr. As and you can actually buy fragments at whatever rate you like, or not.

I think it would take a meat generation sink (i.e. level 10 castle nerf, stocking mimic nerf) to actually drop Mr. A prices noticeably. The people who can afford to spend a Mr. A every ascension are probably not the same people doing most of the meat farming.

Edit: Oh the fragments give permanent gains. Interesting.

Unponderable fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 15, 2013

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
Some initial HC Jarlsberg observations:

-The basic food you can make initially gives decent stats but horrible adventures. The +10 adventures/day skill will be huge for low-skill runs, and the +5 liver/stomach skills are worth considerably less than you'd otherwise think until you can make better food.

-Be careful to plan out your consumption, since it's easy to end up in situation like having 9 fullness and nothing to eat to get that last fullness point.

-I'm absolutely swimming in MP and it's only day 2. Between Jarlsberg's hat, a chefstaff, and the astral bracer, you'll have more than enough MP to summon enough resolutions to make up for the crappy volleyball companion (without the +50% boost skill it's equivalent to a 9 lb volleyball). That's assuming you're cool enough to summon resolutions of course.

-I'd also *strongly* recommend the +100% spell damage skill since almost every attack you'll make as Avatar of Jarlsberg will be a spell. It's probably the best damage mitigation skill you'll get... enemies can't attack back if they get one-shot.

-HP recovery can be a bit rough, but if you have hot tub access or you get the CSA fire-starting kit, it's pretty manageable. The resting skill will probably become a bit more valuable after you get the house from the strange leaflet at level 9.

-I haven't picked it up myself yet, but The Most Important Meal seems like it gives enough stats and adventures to be worth picking up early in your runs.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
I'm starting to wish I'd bought a bucket. I feel it's dragging along bad since I can't make any good food. This path desperately could use a zombie hunter-like mechanic to get additional skill points.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
PSA to anyone who took the astral bracer: Jick decided to make Jarlsberg's spells scale with MP cost and didn't tell anyone until today. I took off my bracer and my Boil damage doubled.

Seems like a pretty stupid mechanic to me.

Edit: Although, I suppose on the flip side, this makes Summon Hilarious Objects and Black Body Spray "optimal".

Unponderable fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 21, 2013

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

sfwarlock posted:

Caveat #4: Never 1-meat undercut. It makes you look bad, and if someone is shopping for an expensive item, they won't care about 1 meat.

This is terrible advice and you should always undercut by 1 meat unless it was overpriced to begin with.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

pksage posted:

:siren: I will be livestreaming all 4 days of a 4-day HC Jarlsberg run starting tomorrow, 3/26! :siren: You can read more about it in the KoL forum thread.

Neat! Do these get recorded automatically so that I can watch it later if I miss a day?

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
This game is really making me hate the interaction between ML and initiative. Jarlsberg gets consistently and pitifully jumped and one-shot in the cranny when I run 50+ ML, even with the pan and 180% passive initiative. Any good strategies I'm missing for dealing with high ML besides just buffing more initiative and HP?

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

Toffile posted:

Someone found out what happens when you smith the 2 new outfits together.

The outfit also has 7 pieces...

The seventh item and/or set bonus better be amazing, because those pieces don't impress me and holy crap is this new quest annoying. Not recommended without either a nice bankroll, or a high level and a couple days of patience.

Edit: To contribute, here's how I found to beat Yog-Urt. Equip a familiar that doesn't attack, Unequip all +muscle or +hp gear (get the lowest HP you can... beaten up and/or really quite poisoned work well), Equip Mer-kin prayerbeads, acquire one of each of the following healing items: [gauze garter, filthy poultice, one of each Doc Galactik's, red pixel potion, green pixel potion, palm frond fan, red plastic oyster egg, scented massage oil, and a soggy used band-aid] or any other healing item that can heal 90% of your modified hp (at base 30 muscle). Each round use one and only one healing item until the anchovy debuff wears off, then heal up and blast the boss as normal. I'd also recommend if you have funkslinging to throw a few monster level debuffs like the sea lasso and sea cowbell.

Double Edit: I take it back, that weapon would make a fantastic offhand.

Unponderable fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 24, 2013

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

Not_Log posted:

Rave Steal -> Tattered Scrap of Paper. Repeat a billion times, get all the sorority brains.

It's not really an economically viable strategy for most things but if you could find that one rare item that went for more than tatters you could adventure forever for no turns. It was never really widespread and it's been in use for years but jick got tired of people abusing it.

Uneducated guess: it had to do with the new Sea semi-rare that drops an item worth 12k meat.

Wonder if he closed the loop with Smash and Graaagh too.

Edit: Doesn't work with semi-rares. Should have guessed.

Unponderable fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 26, 2013

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
In case anyone was wondering, the +30 ML from the new IOTM plant does not affect what monster shows up in the Oil Peak. Really screwed me over today.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

Toffile posted:

It isn't a bug. The plants only kick in when you initiate a combat. As the mob must be chosen before combat can begin. Ergo the plants won't affect oil peak or the ghuols.

I did file the bug report and they said it was a bug they intend to fix. I just wanted to pass along the warning to anyone like me foolish enough to try to get oil cartels in hardcore.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

Bobo the Red posted:

Godamnit how are you supposed to manage the Gremlins in Jarlsberg? I can take 2 hits at the most

Turn off all ML boosters. Wear +moxie, +DR, +HP gear. Buy 10+ Doc Galaktik's Homeopathic Elixirs. Summon hippotatomus. Use Galaktik's every round you're at less than full HP.

The hippo blocks relatively often such that you can stay afloat just by using Galaktik's over and over again.

Also I'd suggest banishing the gremlin that doesn't have the tool you need.

Both pro tips I learned from watching pksage's run.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

goferchan posted:

They've already said that, generally, challenge paths have been linked to a decrease in revenue for them (although I suspect they may be making some leaps when it comes to causation)-- the latter seems really unlikely.

Almost assuredly bullshit. I would have quit playing a long time ago if not for the challenge paths.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

Ara posted:

Probably the idea is that when people are entertained by the challenge paths, they're not as likely to drop money on IOTMs.

I understand the idea. What I'm saying is that I won't drop money on a game I'm not playing, which would be the case were it not for the Spring and Fall challenge paths.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

pksage posted:

You start BIG! at level 15. Invest in frozen banquets and Ralph IX cognac now, I guess, depending on how hard it'll be to generate a 1-dayer's worth of turns.

I would never have guessed the hobopolis AT songs would be HC ascension relevant. Is no-path effectively obsolete?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
e: never mind

• Locked thread