Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Notgothic posted:

Is there a reason they don't want us to have slightly more adventures? A good reason? Considering you have to be either softcore (in which case who cares) or level 11 (in which case, again, who cares) to obtain and drink the wine?

They generally focus pretty strongly on keeping balance in the food/drink items, which includes making sure that normal drop items don't rival those which can be crafted. I don't think it was a huge surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Sapper posted:

poo poo, you can use all the 4 leaf clovers you want. Can't use any 7 leaf clovers, though.

You can't use any four or seven leaf clovers because they don't exist. Ten-leaf clovers do exist, but if you' going bad moon you can't use them either. :c00l:

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

m2pt5 posted:

This gives me an idea. A large portion of KoL is other things crossed over into KoL, so why not have an art/photoshop contest of crossing over KoL into other things?

Only if it pisses off Voivod, so pretty much anything should work.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Soth posted:

Doing pretty well on both Bad Moon accounts. I think the Disco Bandit will end out a smidge easier than the AT, because of the guitar I can get easily.

The Bad Moon adventures haven't really been hitting me at all, I was expecting a constant and never ending assraping, but they're really a minor part of the whole thing. I'm kind of upset.

DB should actually be a LOT easier, if only because you can craft good drinks.

Also, I seemed to hit more bad moon adventures later in my run, but that could just be luck(good or bad). It's also pretty cool the variety of effects they give, since they're not all bad, but some of them offer some strong stuff.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
According to the wiki, it's -3 to all skills AND that stacks with the -mp items, and the magic cap is removed so the backlash spell damage won't happen. That's pretty badass.

edit: oh, and there's a party hat available in the market. It's neat. :)

Vice Zoomler Aestro fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 26, 2007

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
I really liked my disco bandit run in bad moon, since you'll already be getting the liver of steel, and mixed booze drinks are incredibly easy to come by thanks to the barrels.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Tanith posted:

12 more days, each day we get a piece, and then it's Christmas and we have something fun we can meatpaste together? I suppose it's going to be a doom-borg-thing-themed parody of the 12 Days of Christmas.

Three swiss hens, two turtle mechs, and a laser in a pear tree. Pretty cool.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

goferchan posted:

I want to reapply to the clan I originally was kinda booted because I was new and ended up looting the stash and selling it. This was many months ago and I have basically been logging on every now and then so my account wouldnt get deleted also to participate in random things (crimbo)

Name is goferchan

This is a good parody post.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Sputnik posted:

One of these days we should just buy a Mr. A for each goon.

Or at that total, a golden Mr. A.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Electric Hobo posted:

I can't seem to find a decent answer anywhere, is using KoLmafia bannable? It says in the forums post that it's botting, but it seems to say that only for the edification of purists, not as a warning that users might be banned. Also that forums post is on the official KoL forums, so I'm guessing it's not. I'd still like to get a definite answer though.

Nah, the only thing that's really bannable is using multis in coordination with each other (like using several accounts to fuel a main one), or actually hacking the game or exploiting bugs without reporting them.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
I've been using my mosquito this whole BM run, but I'm doing that to get that trophy for doing most of your run with different familiars.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
It's funny because people are playing the raffle more even though the items are less rare than the grimacite stuff, and mostly sell for less.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
I want shirt.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
March item of the month is a Mad Hatrack. Ok, it's a sane hatrack, but it becomes the familiar Mad Hatrack, which changes its abilities based on what hat you put on it. Looks pretty cool.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

TonyV posted:

That's when I got my Big Boat, but Golden Meatstack is hardcore. I just got Golden Meatstack, Gender Bender and the Gourdcore one on my first HC run ages ago. But yeah, definitely get Black Hole Terrarium if you're going for L30. Plenty of time in a run that long to be getting ambitious. As for other trophies, I'd try to get some of the less-crazy consumption ones (Lucky Surprise Eggs and them, don't try the herb brownie one unless you have alot of meat to blow), The Butler Did It (since you're going to be in there for at least a month), and if you want Extinctionist then get Little Chickadee. You'll get enough of the drunkenness potions to hit 1,000 that way.

Herb brownie takes a long time as well, but you can prep for it and avoid a lot of the financial pain by taking advantage of halloween. Eat and drink enough on Halloween and you should be able to nail quite a few of them with the hippy disguise.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Tanith posted:

Awesome, since I'm level 20 and am pretty much just treading water on my main account making money until something new and interesting comes up to help me get to 30 for the trophy.

Additionally, do you guys think it's a better plan to get all the skills from a certain class before moving on to one of the other ones, or do you tend to space it out so you don't get sick of it? Once I finally ascend with this one it'll be my third time through as a DB, and I'm considering just going with it repeatedly under the Blender to get at least the meat, items and shirt skills from the gnomes, and the intrinsic meat, items, funkslinging and both cocktailcrafting skills from being a DB before moving on.

I also theoretically want to do two seal clubber runs for pulverize and DFSS, TT for empathy and PM for leash if nothing else.

I mix it up to stay somewhat fresh, and also because generally the order for the best skills won't all be in the same class. Just pick a best skill or two from a class, then switch to another, rinse, and repeat.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
Does someone want to send me a pair of bottle-rocket crossbows and an oragami anything? I promise to use them well!

Also, all your super-rares and probably some meat. Oh, and another tome of snowcone summoning.

Look, just load me up like Boozerbear, ok?

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
I'm just happy to see a lot of creativity in the new IOTMs - this and the sane hatrack are both something really different for the game, instead of popping off another +volleyball or +leph/fairie.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

mikeraskol posted:

I have a quick question about the facsimile dictionary that the wiki didn't help me with. I just got that item, and it sells for alot, it seems like too much. Am I supposed to be hanging on to that item, I'm too nervous to sell it?

I keep mine for collecting since I never really have the need for the meat, but they can be used for a pretty nice sword but that's about it. You can get a new one next ascencion, and if you don't have the meatsmithing skills you can't make the sword anyways, so don't worry about it.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
I know everyone likes to bitch and moan about new content, but now that the days of one or two-day runs are over, I'm open to new stuff in the game. Plus, this stuff is entirely optional, and sounds like it could be fun. I'm actually pretty happy with how he seems to have found some good new ideas to incorporate into the game.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Soth posted:

Recommendation: Raffle that Mr. A to all active members.

In lighter news, Fucken HCO sans Pulverize. I got a dead guys watch, now to get the Clockwork Maid and Chrome weapon...

Or just raffle it to me. I'm looking for some extra cash to get a hatrack before they're stupidly expensive.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Lamb Chowder posted:

Should I wait until later to sell this off-white paisley egg?

Eh, since oyster comes around every few months, there's not really much appreciation on the items. Sell now, sell later, or just use it. It doesn't really matter.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

poik007 posted:

Moxie classes get torso awaregness.

Or bad moon ;D

Not Moxie CLASSES. Moxie SIGNS. Any Class can get it.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Tanith posted:

I'm a DB so I have Ye Olde Golde Fronts for muscle. Would the Crown be overkill, or should I still take it over the cape?

If there's a goon who wants swarmers, I think I have a bunch floating around.

As any class, you want Moxie. As a Moxie class, you CRAVE Moxie. Muscle is nice, but Moxie will win you battles and make everything much easier. Get the cape, and honestly ditch the Fronts once you have another decent piece of equipment. If you're not getting hit, your health shouldn't matter.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
I laughed pretty hard after seeing who the the Hoboverlord was. I just sent him an e-mail to let him know. :)

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Colbear posted:

Iiiinteresting. Binder has to be equipped, right? That'll be worth checking out during lucre runs, so anyone who still does BHH quests, offhand your binder if you have one.

Also, it's not considered multi abuse to have two accounts in one clan, where they alternate dungeon runs, is it (so I'd have one account bin each run, but never two accounts in at once)? It'll make the clan get more runs done per day, but not count as advancing either character.

Opinions?

I don't know if I would risk it initially. One extra member in a clan this big wouldn't really matter that much for completing things, and you probably don't want to be the one testing Jick and company.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
Applications done, and the KoL arbor day is just as useless as the real arbor day!

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

HippoKing posted:

Applied as:

Verus
HippoKing

I presume it's OK to run two characters, they're being played entirely seperately.

Perfectly fine, EXCEPT in hobopolis. Don't run two characters in the same instance of hobopolis ever.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Colbear posted:

If you have a llama and/or pixie, I don't anticipate it being especially useful. Getting six wads isn't all that easy in the first place, let alone ones of different elemental values. It'd probably be best for a muscle class with Malus access (especially as I think the moxie weapon's not useful for plinking, compared to a curdflinger or potato pistol).

Speedruns are mostly a thing of the past now, but they do still provide better turn/spleen ratio than scarfing normal wads.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
Did they nerf the cleesh strategy, or am I just really unlucky in the sewers? I've gone nearly 50 adventures without a single tunnel or anything except combats.

Edit: Nevermind. I was just first one in, soloing the dungeon, and didn't really have noncom running like I should. There's 150 turns I'll never have back.

Vice Zoomler Aestro fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jul 25, 2008

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
Here's my nightmare.

It's having my crotch bitten off by a demonic hooker with stumps for arms. Please note that that is roughly the same color as my own personal sheets.

NOT WORK SAFE
THIS IS NOT SAFE FOR WORK
DO NOT CLICK THIS IF YOU COULD POTENTIALLY BE FIRED FOR A CRUDELY DRAWN NIPPLE.

https://wi.somethingawful.com/3c/3cf76d5c699886bc334e15f86d8ac4371bbb64e4.jpg

NO CLICKING

I won't win anything.

On a side note, we could use more phials in the stash. I would be happy to make them, but the stash is currently without regeant and so am I. Someone do something about that.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Orvin posted:

The IoTM could be pretty nice for myst class. They tend to get knocked around pretty hard and can burn through a crapload of mp just to kill stuff. While it may not be optimal, I see it as being useful on HC runs when meat might be a bit light.

I could see it being quite useful for hobopolis. MP can fuel attacking OR buffs, and the potato could actually be useful for when you lose initiative. I mean, it's not like you really NEED +item or +stats in hoob, unless you're fighting a boss or going for level 30, and meat doesn't exist. I actually use a parrot (!) a lot when doing the side areas, along with a lot of elemental resist gear, which helps limit the damage of most attacks from 200-300 to around 50.

Not spectacular, but it could be more useful than it appears on first glance.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Dr. Sanchez posted:

I was just browsing through the Hobopolis info even though I'm still in the middle of my first ascension, and I was curious about some of the Hobopolis skills. How useful are some of them? I bought a copy of Let Me Be! that was ridiculously cheap, but haven't used it yet. Are they mostly just novelty skills? Worth making permanent at all?

They're very powerful and stupidly expensive MP-wise, so not really practical for adventuring.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Dr. Sanchez posted:

Jick responded on the kol forums about it:

If that's the case, it's hard to believe a KoL forums mod over-reacted and closed the thread, banning all discussion.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

DemonMage posted:

Imagine the main reason people forget it is because there's no real reason to use the arena in most normal runs.

Ten turns for an extra five pounds of the volleyball/leprechaun is generally worth it, especially post NS-13.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

BobOfDoom posted:

Makes me wonder why I picked a disco bandit then...

You can do it as DB too, just use a crossbow of some sort. Or some badass weapon. I was able to hit similar damage as a sauceror without potions running - it's all about the equipment.

Also gently caress you Sput. :)

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Ryouga Inverse posted:

now watch time swords skyrocket in price.

Also, gently caress, potions are easy mode to the max. Definitely the best second skill to perm.

At first I got all excited at the prospect of using a time sword and an inappropriate prepositions. Then I realized the preppie is still two-handed, and I haven't gotten the new familiar to check whether it counts towards outfits. If not, drat.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Woodstock posted:

Mmm. Yeah and I think I made a mistake with Empathy of the Newt. Would it be worth sometime later coming back and perming Leash?

Edit: Not for a while, I've decided.

It's actually worthwhile to have both if you can secure a decent way to keep MP up - 10 extra pounds of familiar is always better than 5. This is true the entire run, but especially true for Sorceress Tower.

Torso is pretty solid, since it's a nice small bonus on most runs at the very least, and there are a few great shirts out there. The armor/weaponcrafting skills come in handy every once in a while, along with the level 15 super-advanced crafting skills.

Also, the cold and stench passives are nice for avoiding somewhat annoying portions of the game, especially the cold.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

tripwood posted:

He's an IRL friend of Jick, or used to be. Goes to cons and stuff.

He manipulates the market a lot, but for the better of investors. He buys out a lot of cheaply priced stuff and holds it practically forever. When they become too expensive, he puts them back on the market.

What a nice guy - buying stuff cheap and selling it when it's expensive. I've totally flipped my opinion on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Ravana posted:

Honestly, I don't know why Jick doesn't just use the magic that is Being The Game's Administrator to just purge all the bugmeat from the land. The only players that have it are people who were sufficient jackasses to cheat, so they're not the players you'd really want in a game anyway, and the only thing it does is to piss off players who were honest or joined after black sunday.

There are a couples reasons why he doesn't do this - first, it's impossible to tell bugmeat from normal meat, so it basically involves sledgehammering the richest players in the game, which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing EXCEPT

Two, not all rich players are bugmeat players at this point. Many have simply gotten hold of the right items at the right times and had those items bought at stupidly high prices, especially by the bugmeat players. It really sucks for them because you can't really control who buys your stuff in the mall, and if excess meat was wiped, then they would be out both the items and the meat.

• Locked thread