Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
Applied as Jumbuck, a level 11 Pastamancer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Thanks for accepting me into the guild!

This is my first time playing the game, going through as a Pastamancer. I've been pacing myself slowly, playing semi-casually, but wanted to ask a quick question: What happens when you make an ascension? I've read a lot about it and understand that it enables you to switch class/gender and play through the game again, but how does this affect your items and familiars? Will you still have access to all the items and familiars you collected or do you have to give them up? What happens with spells/abilities you learn? The main wiki page doesn't explain this aspect too well and I don't want to waste time getting certain items or abilities if they disappear.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

I just got 100 filthy lucre. I'd been planning on going for 200 and trying for the Transcendent Olfaction, but I'm wondering would it be more worthwhile to get the familiar for 100 and just use odor extractors instead of the transcendent olfaction skill?

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

tripwood posted:

Get the tome first, it's worth it, +5% combat is nothing.

Thanks, will do.

Just a couple quick questions:

I haven't been too active with the clan, I've been mostly spending time idling and collecting bounties and building up meat, but now that the VIPs are out, I'm planning on buying one. In what ways do we do stuff as a clan? I have only ventured in the sewers but haven't been too Hobopolis yet (idling on my first ascension right now). How exactly does Hobopolis work?

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

That pool table in the VIP lounge is pretty cool. Too bad I just ascended and can't access the lounge for awhile :(

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Orvin posted:

The key is a free pull from Hagniks, so unless you are doing bad moon runs, you can take it out.

Well, I feel stupid now. Thanks!

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Well drat, if it's a Dune-based familiar, I have no choice but to buy it.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

I have 15 floaty sands to donate if anybody is trying desperately to get a rock lobster. I may have to donate them over the next few days as some are still in storage.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Gumfish posted:

I'll bite. Send them to me, if you please. Same name as SA account. :)

/Edit: Oh, and I'm in HC, so it needs to be gift packaged. I hope that's not too much of a hassle?

No worries. I just sent the sand from storage and the sand from my inventory. Hope I didn't screw up.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Oh god, the Wumpus quest was the third trophy I ever got on KoL. As soon as I read about it, I got super lucky and got 5 kills in a row. Right after I got the trophy, I died in my next run (recently managed to get the sweater for what it's worth).

Someone else commented about the bats, does it seem to anyone else here like the bats all too often drop you in a room with a pit? It seems that if they randomly dropped you, it should be a 2/18 or so chance they drop you in the pit, with me it was more like 3/4 of the time.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Someone already bought our clan an April Shower it looks like.

It has 5 temperature settings, hot, warm, lukewarm, cool and cold (I think the last two are right). I set it to hot, gained 240 MP and cannot reuse the shower today.

Who bought it so that I can donate some meat?

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Haha, someone in this forum joked about having a familiar that wears your pants. And now they've done it. I named mine after one of the scarecrows in Ocarina of Time.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

I snagged 12500 credits from unused sugar sheets. If anyone sends me any of the big items, I'll send one back tomorrow upon logon (in-game name is Jumbuck). It looks like once you have one of the big items, you aren't able to get any more of them, so multiple items shouldn't be an issue.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Tariniduoh sent me one of everything, so I sent him back 1 of everything except the Fuzzby which he apparently already had, so I sent some stocking stuffers instead. I'll send out big items to anyone else who needs them.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Toffile posted:

Spleen familiars are going to shoot up roughly to 2 Mr. A's in price now. They're now a regular offering in the Mr. Store.

If you hurry, you might be able to grab the Rogue Program or Stomping Boots, since they're still relatively cheap.

Does this mean that June IOTMs are no longer going to be content familiars? Or have they left it where they can implement another content familiar in June in addition to the yearly ones?

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

It occurred to me that I never chipped in to the donation drive for the April Shower last year. This year I had a couple Mr. A's but am doing Bad Moon runs right now so can't get into the VIP lounge and don't know what the Swimming Pool status is. Is there someone I can donate meat or a Mr. A to in order to make amends?

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Andante posted:

Seal clubber is the easiest class to get to level 30, so not that. Apart from SC they're all pretty much the same speed-wise, so switch to a class you don't like playing.

How is this so? I'm not questioning you, it's just that Seal Clubber is my most seldom-played class and I wondered what its difference was.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Do we have a program where we can lend out equipment? I'm doing some Bad Moon runs now and will probably do only HC or HCO runs for awhile after that due to real life time constraints. I have a lot of items that are only usable in Normal or Aftercore and they are sitting in my stash. I feel kind of guilty about this.

I'm not looking to get anything, just loan stuff out to help newish players or experienced aftercore players. All I would ask is the promise that the equipment will be returned in the future at a given date or upon request.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Smello posted:

The fourth option seems like the fairest to me, in terms of making money without causing problems for the player base. Yet it seems to get decried the most? I personally wouldn't want every single IotM to be something that speeds up every type of ascension.

I don't mean to sound like I'm dev-worshipping or anything. I just don't see how an item only being useful in a particular run is a bad thing; I would consider it a plus, because it staves off the otherwise continuous power creep.

I agree. Part of what pushed me into playing hardcore, which fortunately was shortly before the new karma system was implemented, was that softcore was becoming too easy because of IOTMs. It can be fun to experiment around in softcore. Also, it's fun to do once in awhile, like for the first ascension of a challenge run, but there's not much fulfillment for me after that.

While it's true that the optimum value is much harder to find in softcore, there are many ways to get a "very high" value that is significantly higher than a well-planned hardcore run. On a personal level since I don't have as much time to play these days, I prefer spending my time in hardcore. It's more interesting than planning out every small detail in softcore and maximizing adventures to ludicrous numbers.

I think that the new challenge paths add a lot of flavor to the game and it's worthwhile making IOTMs specifically tailored to those paths. It also adds replay value to those paths later on. I guess the IOTMs are knocked down a notch if you plan to abandon the path after the bonus karma expires.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

My dungeon was Star Control 9: The Marquis's Crown, and I got gauntlets of the blood moon

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

I have an extra Mr. A and would like to donate it for the next clan IoTM if possible. I haven't contributed to the past couple and the guilt is gnawing at me.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Unponderable posted:

In case anyone was wondering, the +30 ML from the new IOTM plant does not affect what monster shows up in the Oil Peak. Really screwed me over today.

I feel your pain, but am glad I'm not the only one.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

h_double posted:

Anybody who still needs the Festive Dismemberment trophy (use a Knob Goblin Firecracker on July 4), now's your chance.

Thanks for the reminder!

So to be sure, the preferred method of donating for the IotM is to put stacks of meat into the clan stash?

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

I decided to try spading for the first time by playing with the O.A.F., hoping it would somehow give me the item to unlock an optimal hotdog. Sadly, it did not.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Did they just replace all Phials of "Elementness" with Lotion of "Elementness"?

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

After 5 years, I finally got my first ultrarare! Admittedly, it was just a 17-ball from an animated Pooltergeist, but I'm still pretty excited about it.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

I have to admit, I like the Seal Clubber revamp. It makes the game more interesting and I like the Fury dynamic that adds even more uniqueness to the Seal Clubber. I was skeptical about the upcoming revamps to other classes, but if they can do with them what they did with the SC, then I think it'll be pretty awesome!

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Thanks Manny! You are a champion of the world

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

KoL is an interesting beast for completionists. I've been diagnosed with moderate OCD, but it's somewhat selective. For example, I'm on a (very) slow quest to obtain all the trophies I can, but the fact that there are some that are unobtainable for me, given my join date, doesn't bother me. I just chalk those up to being unobtainable given the date I joined, and I forget about them. I could see how a person with severe OCD could be driven crazy by certain aspects of this game.

Note - same with speed running. I feel compelled to cut down on certain obvious turn sinks, but am not interested (yet) in micromanaging the turns I spend. If an ascention takes 4 or 5 days, I don't notice the difference. If I spend a bunch of turns in the pyramid, then realize I forgot -combat skills, I kick myself.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

How do I make suggestions to TPTB? I'd really like to suggest that Vampiroghi not debuff Once Cursed (and presumably Twice-Cursed and Thrice-Cursed follow)

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Prop Wash posted:

As someone who ground through all 200 days (edit: plus suit etc.), I'm pretty happy other people won't have to go through the asspain!

Amen - that was an annoying time in my life.

Also, I agree about the URs. My 17-ball was useful for the warbears, but since I mainly do hardcore, I've never really needed it. I should sell it, but because of something about an interdimensional pool ball, I just can't seem to part with it.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

herakles posted:

My money is on a leather jacket IOTM for the torso slot. Seeing as how Jick went to the trouble of making Sneaky Pete torso-aware by default.

Impressive!

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

I really like this IotM. It's a useful item for the current (awesome) challenge path in HC, it has good utility for the slot outside HC or in aftercore, and it's not ridiculously overpowered. Perfect for someone like me who strives to simultaneously optimize the balance of completing runs and quality of life.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

pksage posted:

I'm actually a dev now and helped test it, so I wanted to give it a few days. (being a dev is pretty cool btw~)

Awesome!

In addition to these points about the draw for HC, this is new content. And it's related to Jimmy Buffett. That alone makes it worth buying.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Live world event during Slow and Steady season :qq:

Good - that'll give me time to get my AoSP to level 30 for a trophy and farm, before beginning the challenge path the helps people like me who have too much to do during the day. Thanks TPTB!

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Slow and Steady has also turned me back onto Softcore. Now I can use some of my cool IotMs and other items that I normally can't use except in aftercore, without the worry about generating massive turns from the food/booze pulls in Ronin and destroying all my free time.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

"Oh, and don't forget zTVfc. It's important."

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

They missed a great opportunity to make the tattoo from Buff Jimmy's shop a "South of The Border cutie"

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

It may produce special items in the next challenge path, as the Thinknerd Grimoire produced Classy Monkeys for the first Class Act run. But yeah, grimoires are mainly for the entertainment factor. I bought one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

SnotGrumble posted:

I'd like to see a comparison of some of the recent iotms. For instance, the different gardens and how good they are for different types of ascensions.

http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/index.php/Hardcore_IOTM_Analysis

• Locked thread