Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

spirited posted:

Adam's ways of spotting a whore.

What are some of these? I'm curious because I haven't heard Adam speak of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

GreenNight posted:

well I just listened to an old loveline for spotting for skeezy men, its anyone who works with metal "except for in an R&D capacity"

spirited
Nov 2, 2001

Time might lead me to nowhere; Fate might break me apart; I'll always be thankful that once, along life's journey I found the unchanging Imperishable in you.

GreenNight posted:

Misty, Tammy, Angel, and especially Cammy are the ones that I have a vivid recall of Adam explicitly mentioning. In fact, I can hear Adam verbatim in my head say "Show me a Cammy, and I'll show you a BJ." If I sat and tried to take a mental sample of the people I've known in my life it's spot on in accuracy, but like most Loveline assumptions Adam was just relying on his incredible social knowledge. I would definitely like to back up more claims made on the show, because Adam knew inside and out the youth trash of America.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

spirited posted:

Misty, Tammy, Angel, and especially Cammy are the ones that I have a vivid recall of Adam explicitly mentioning. In fact, I can hear Adam verbatim in my head say "Show me a Cammy, and I'll show you a BJ." If I sat and tried to take a mental sample of the people I've known in my life it's spot on in accuracy, but like most Loveline assumptions Adam was just relying on his incredible social knowledge. I would definitely like to back up more claims made on the show, because Adam knew inside and out the youth trash of America.

How could you forget Crystal? Having that name is as good as a life sentance in white trashitude

NIGARS
Sep 12, 2004

yeah nigars

AndNowMax posted:

God DAMMIT Adam stop eating into the mike it's gross.

1997-10-19, Adam spends a large part of the last quarter of the episode eating some pie someone left in the studio. Drew repeatedly tells him it sounds disgusting but Adam insists it doesn't. Mike then cranks up the volume on a 10 second segment of the worst of it and plays it over and over (starting from 1:18:30).

That episode also had the fart in the coffee can story. I laughed like an idiot on the bus.

NIGARS fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 5, 2010

The Sender
May 31, 2008

The lines in the road, are just decoration!
$$ Internet Prick $$

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

How could you forget Crystal? Having that name is as good as a life sentance in white trashitude

When I was new to Loveline, they got a string of girls named Krystal (spelled with a K, of course) one after the other, and I thought it was an on-air pseudonym.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
Does anyone offhand remember the date of the episode where a caller reminds Adam/Anderson of the singer from King Missile and there's a long, amazing derail where they play "Detachable Penis" and try to get the caller to say the lines?

I'm pretty sure there was no guest which is why I'm having trouble tracking it down.

HumanCropcircle
Sep 26, 2005

From Adam's Twitter:

Adam Carolla posted:

Read your comments.Sorry if I offended many of u.I don't preplan my commentary. I try to be provoctive,funny but I crossed the line&im sorry

Anyone know what this is in reference to?

Binton
Jun 23, 2004
I am here, eating pie, with a fork.

HumanCropcircle posted:

From Adam's Twitter:

Anyone know what this is in reference to?

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-20066-Pittsburgh-Fight-Sports-Examiner~y2010m4d2-Adam-Corolla-really-racist-or-just-looking-for-attention

I think.

Rockefeller
Oct 23, 2004

he's been insulting the philippines for years, they took their time spazzing about it

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I heard that podcast over the weekend and it was really nothing. I've heard comedians say much, much worse about various countries without feeling that they were being malicious or racist.

It's just one of those things where the right (wrong) person happened to be listening at the right (wrong) time and decided to raise a fuss about it.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Wait, hasn't he been openly pretty racist for years?

I don't know anything about boxing but if this dude is getting out of doping tests because "he doesn't believe in it", that's pretty outrageous.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Anyone here good with Shoutcast? I'm trying to setup a new Loveline stream on my dedicated server and having issues installing Shoutcast and AutoDJ. PM me if you can help.

My work is getting very boring without the soothing, nasally voice of Adam playing in the background.

Bamm Bamm
May 7, 2007

I'm not a playa, I just fuck a lot.

spirited posted:

I was reading Freakonomics, and it mentioned the low-income girl's names most commonly assigned by their dead beat parents. Misty, Angel, Tammy, and Tabitha were all on there, and were some of Adam's ways of spotting a whore. I just wanted to chime in and add credibility to the incredible intuitive knowledge between Adam and Drew about young people in America. Has anyone else read anything or correlated data to some of the other reaching claims made on the show? Is Florida really bad or are the crimes just bizarre and because of that more widely published?

I read something probably 5 years ago that was a pretty detailed study of the weird phenomenon of name choice predicting future successes or failures.

It touched upon the idea of males giving their sons "soft" names to toughen them up (the "Boy Named Sue" concept), people naming their kids positive things (like th football player Peerless Price), and the idea of certain names becoming low-class names.

It was pretty interesting, it said that names that are popular among the upper-class will, in 15-20 years become lower-class names because the poor girls want their daughters to be seen as the rich girls they wanted to be. For example, names like Brittany and Crystal were rich girl names 20-25 years ago, so now they're white trash names because moms wanted a better life for them.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

quote:

To degrade an entire nation of people though is obviously inexcusable and Carolla was clearly not thinking when he opened his mouth with that one.

Brian, Pittsburgh: "Carolla probably planned this just to get people mad, how often does someone usually call up his show to talk about boxing? Come on, this was a send up from the start"

That whole article was hilarious to read from the perspective of having listened to Adam for years. Adam degrading an entire nation and not thinking before speaking? That's him in a nutshell. If he did think about who was listening when he was talking he would probably be much less entertaining.

Punch Card posted:

Does anyone offhand remember the date of the episode where a caller reminds Adam/Anderson of the singer from King Missile and there's a long, amazing derail where they play "Detachable Penis" and try to get the caller to say the lines?

I'm pretty sure there was no guest which is why I'm having trouble tracking it down.

That was such a great episode. Unfortunately I think the closest I can place it is in 2005, and that's just a hunch. I'm pretty sure Anderson played a bit of it for the last drop so if you were skimming for it I'd just skip to the end of show drop.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Solarin posted:

That whole article was hilarious to read from the perspective of having listened to Adam for years. Adam degrading an entire nation and not thinking before speaking? That's him in a nutshell. If he did think about who was listening when he was talking he would probably be much less entertaining.

Plus the idea that he would bother pre-planning anything, or that boxing is an unusual topic for him.

This whole thing is hilarious. It's a mix of good points (respecting the retarded blood test thing) and massive ignorance, like most of his rants about other countries, and something he's been doing practically every week for years. But suddenly it's a big deal.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
Isn't this just what happened with Adam and Hawaii a few years back?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Evil Vin posted:

Isn't this just what happened with Adam and Hawaii a few years back?
Yeah, but being able to scream "racism" somehow gives a complaint more validity. Wasn't Adam was referring to all Hawaiians, not just ethnic/native ones?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

Plus the idea that he would bother pre-planning anything, or that boxing is an unusual topic for him.

This whole thing is hilarious. It's a mix of good points (respecting the retarded blood test thing) and massive ignorance, like most of his rants about other countries, and something he's been doing practically every week for years. But suddenly it's a big deal.

Yeah, the sex tours are in Indonesia. The Philippines just have Manny.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I thought the sex tours were more Thailand. Philippines have Manny and balut.

frobert blamble
Feb 6, 2009

by T. Finn

WhiteHowler posted:

Yeah, but being able to scream "racism" somehow gives a complaint more validity. Wasn't Adam was referring to all Hawaiians, not just ethnic/native ones?
I'm pretty sure he was talking specifically about the natives when he would rant about how dumb they are.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Which podcast did the Manny rant happen on?

Edit: Never mind, it's on the March 23rd "Adam and You" one.

Holland Oats fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 6, 2010

Paul Kersey
Oct 28, 2004

This Manny Pacquaio thing is generating Howard Stern-like traction for Adam.

spirited
Nov 2, 2001

Time might lead me to nowhere; Fate might break me apart; I'll always be thankful that once, along life's journey I found the unchanging Imperishable in you.

That's hilarious, my fiance is a Filipina nurse and she's a Dr. Drew and lesser extent Adam Carolla fangirl. Listening to Adam on archived Loveline episodes is actually one of the few areas we have continued to mutually bond.

I showed her this article and her reaction was that Filipinos are the least likely people to complain about racism after hundreds of years of multi-racial colonialism. She said that Manny Pacquiao is more popular than the standing president in the Philippines, which is what the uproar is truly about.

murphle
Mar 4, 2004

Bamm Bamm posted:

I read something probably 5 years ago that was a pretty detailed study of the weird phenomenon of name choice predicting future successes or failures.

It touched upon the idea of males giving their sons "soft" names to toughen them up (the "Boy Named Sue" concept), people naming their kids positive things (like th football player Peerless Price), and the idea of certain names becoming low-class names.

It was pretty interesting, it said that names that are popular among the upper-class will, in 15-20 years become lower-class names because the poor girls want their daughters to be seen as the rich girls they wanted to be. For example, names like Brittany and Crystal were rich girl names 20-25 years ago, so now they're white trash names because moms wanted a better life for them.

This is a chapter from the book "Freakonomics" by Levitt and Dubner. It's a decent read.

AndNowMax
Sep 25, 2009

Fighting the fight for *mumble* *mumble*

NIGARS posted:

1997-10-19, Adam spends a large part of the last quarter of the episode eating some pie someone left in the studio. Drew repeatedly tells him it sounds disgusting but Adam insists it doesn't. Mike then cranks up the volume on a 10 second segment of the worst of it and plays it over and over (starting from 1:18:30).

Oh man, wish I could find that episode in the archives. But really, for someone who's always complaining to Drew about bad radio he seems to have some atrocious table manners. Or maybe it's just because I listen with earbuds in and don't like smacking noises that close to my brain.

spirited
Nov 2, 2001

Adam wasn't joking when he said he never learned how to read, his twitter is painful and I think he has mistaken letters to work like hieroglyphs where entire words are represented by a symbol.

AndNowMax
Sep 25, 2009

Fighting the fight for *mumble* *mumble*
At the very least when he types he hunts-and-pecks.

TomSellek
Jan 31, 2008
Arrogant, dumb, meat headed and stubborn. Please disregard and move on.

spirited posted:

a Filipina nurse

Shocking! Are you in the navy by any chance? :)

spirited
Nov 2, 2001

TomSellek posted:

Shocking! Are you in the navy by any chance? :)

No, tourism and marketing. The third world loves other country's money more than their own, and they've realized you get a fat stack for inviting people to come over.

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

A chump and a hoagie going buck wild
A very interesting FastCompany article on Adam, Donny and the podcast.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

So I feel a need to call in and tell Adam he got scooped on PedophIsle: http://www.insideedition.com/news/4260/sex-offender-island.aspx Anyone know if they have a schedule for call-in shows or do I just have to watch the twitter feed?

Bamm Bamm
May 7, 2007

I'm not a playa, I just fuck a lot.

Bolkovr posted:

A very interesting FastCompany article on Adam, Donny and the podcast.

Super interesting, thanks a lot.

Paul Kersey
Oct 28, 2004

Never thought I'd see the day where Adam makes an official apology on his website.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
http://adamcarollavsscientology.ytmnd.com/

Twobits
Apr 30, 2007
There are some threats of violence against him in the comments of newspaper articles and (presumably) in the comments on the podcast.

I don't really get this outrage. I mean people get angry at him sometimes when they make fun of their race/group/whatever, but I've never seen it on this scale before. I didn't take it personally when he made fun of Japanese or people from Hawaii.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Twobits posted:

There are some threats of violence against him in the comments of newspaper articles and (presumably) in the comments on the podcast.

I don't really get this outrage. I mean people get angry at him sometimes when they make fun of their race/group/whatever, but I've never seen it on this scale before. I didn't take it personally when he made fun of Japanese or people from Hawaii.

You have no idea how much Filipinos worship Pacquaio. You won't find a single Filipino, even on American soil, who hasn't at least heard of the man. I figure it's kind of like talking trash about Gandhi.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Bizarre to see him apologize over basically nothing when he's spent the last several years spitting massive racism every time the Middle East comes up. But really, who cares.

caffeinefree
Aug 5, 2003

2010: Year of M&M

Grand Fromage posted:

Bizarre to see him apologize over basically nothing when he's spent the last several years spitting massive racism every time the Middle East comes up. But really, who cares.

let's not forget about his lovely attitude towards Mexicans :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sender
May 31, 2008

The lines in the road, are just decoration!
$$ Internet Prick $$
I say having a heavily-accented ethnicity giving the phone number after breaks on his radio show was an outright declaration of white supremacy.

• Locked thread