Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

caffeinefree posted:

As much as I love Carolla, his morning show stinks. Teresa usually adds nothing to the conversation other than "Yeah" or "I agree" and Bonaduce is the most annoying man I've heard in radio. He snorts loudly and very frequently, and ALWAYS has to bring any conversation to his drug use, ex-wife, some whores he had sex with, or some dude he was about to fight.

It has its moments, but its mostly garbage.

At first it may seem like Dr. Drew adds very little to the comedic value of the classic Loveline shows. However, it's not until you listen to Adam and Drew separately that you realize how important the pairing was to the comedic pacing of the show. Alone, Adam becomes too much to deal with and at times downright obnoxious. Pair him with Drew and you get just enough of a break from his commentary (and vice versa) to create a really enjoyable pace that keeps both of them from taking over completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

TheyMadeMeDoIt posted:

Ooh, I found the perfect Germany vs. Florida article! I've been attempting a call in to the show but no luck because my cellphone gets lovely service. I nominate one of you goons to continue the mission!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/germany_corpse_dc;_ylt=AqIZ7DwVIHSy1a5BRAYoaaIE1vAI

Ew. :zombie:

Germany or Florida is no longer played, as mentioned in the last thread. Another thing that was abandoned when Adam left the show.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Jubs posted:

It's still played on the Adam Carolla Show.

Never mind then. Although, as the first replay states, I really dislike the show so I won't be helping to get that story on the air. Good luck.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

MaxxBot posted:

I also remember him spreading all sorts of misinformation about drugs, it reminded me of 5th grade DARE class or something.

Would you care to share with us what some of this misinformation was in the first place? Otherwise I am just assuming you just have differing opinions.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

MaxxBot posted:

Well as I said the last time I listened to this was around 2 years ago, but I think I can remember one little bit that stuck out especially. Dr. Drew said something like "well have you used x drug more than 2 times? If you have you most likely have serious brain damage."

...And he was probably referring to a drug that was strong enough to cause those long term effects. Drew will always admit when he is wrong and the previous correction was right. He was talking of long term effects.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
2005-05-24
Adam and Drew are exposed to furries. At 22:00 a few furries call in and adam starts rolling with it.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Clive Barker is surprisingly down to earth when he is a guest. You'd think that due to Adam's attitude he would be a little bit flustered, but he rolls with it wonderfully.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

TylerDurden posted:

For the most part yes, but he does get a little weird when Adam tells that woman to put out once in a blue moon to please her husband even though her sex drive is dead. In general he felt a little weird and aloof for the whole show as I'm remembering it, but definitely not an rear end in a top hat.

He definitely comes alive during that segment, but he does make a very good point. What really got him going was Drew's metaphor, saying that she should treat it like a job. One of the few instances where I've heard Drew admit that he used a poor metaphor on air.

By the way, does anyone have the string of shows that DAG hosted with Drew after Adam left? The Loveline Archive removed all shows after Adam's departure.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Grand Fromage posted:

Uploaded DAG week. http://www.grandfromage.net/SA/ Good luck have fun.

Thank you.

TylerDurden posted:

Drew is rarely ever good when it comes to metaphors and analogies but I think it was pretty valid as far as I remember. I don't wanna get into a whole thing here but as far as I remember Adam and Drew were comparing going to work as something you didn't want to do but did anyway to her putting out once in a while and Clive got somewhat indignant because sex is supposed to be this special sacred thing that is only to be done out of love and passion and never as something to get out of the way. I think he was being a little too sensitive there.

Those shows should still be in the DC Hub if you are willing to get 'em from there. If I have time tomorrow I might download them if there aren't too many but someone is going to have to provide hosting because I don't have it.

I just agree with his point of view that it isn't something you can just get over. I think that is usually one of the few things that I disagree with in regard to relationship commentary from Adam and Drew. I think they are both too passionate to see it any other way. Passionate, passionate men who must get it!

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Spirit of 1994 posted:

I wanna say it's one of the Seth Green episodes, or maybe a QOTSA episode, but the premise was that Dr. Drew needed a catchphrase, and he decided he would randomly interject "I'm a rapist" into conversations. It only lasted for like one or two callers though, as I recall.

Are you sure you are not confusing the origin of the catchphrase for one of the DAG episodes where they come up with catchphrases for each of them? I believe DAG's was "You wanna tango?! Let's Bossa Nova!" No idea what it means.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
One of my favorite moments came back to me and I am dying to hear it again.

Adam tells the story of the time he went all the way to San Diego in the hopes of spending a weekend with a girl he met five months earlier only to be disappointed at how much weight she had put on during their time apart. The story was told in the context of how men are not equipped to say "No!" to a woman's advances.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Is there anyway to download these? I can only get them to stream and every time I try to download them I get index.php.

Judakel fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 28, 2008

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Rushmore posted:

right-click - save as?

otherwise you can strip out the index.php part of the url

or go to http://lovelinecentral.com/mp3/YEAR

year can be 1990s, 2000 - 2005

Right-click - save as is what I was referring to. Unfortunately nothing seems to be working since the link is correct, it just saves as a .php file.

I will figure something out, thanks a ton for hosting some of the older files.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Malachi Constant posted:

Adam on "Talk of the Nation" discussing why he created "The Man Show" and the idea of "The New Machismo". - Funny because Adam is intellectualizing on NPR and debating with callers and the editor of Details and Spin magazines. Also, he asks a caller for his TV when he says he doesn't watch TV anymore, and he berates a caller who says "The Man Show" leads to rape. You might need a RealAudio alternative to hear it. (47 minutes, January 2000)

The woman you mentioned in that description sounded exactly like the "victim" you'd expect her to sound. Everything happens TO her because of a third party's actions.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Grand Fromage posted:

He's moved on to red lights in general these days, if it's safe to go. Soon he'll just have a monster truck and be rolling across traffic.

That is so scary. I am all for the red turn-arrow though.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Ribsauce posted:

What is wrong with running a red light at 10pm when no one is on the road in any direction and it will take like 5 minutes for the light to change? For what it is worth, I live in North Carolina where these lights are all over creation, LA probably doesn't have empty roads with 5 minute light cycles even though like 10 cars an hour roll through the intersection late night

Yes, the scenario you described is exactly what most people are trying to avoid when they irresponsibly run a red light.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Homers BBBq posted:

I'm really fascinated with the way Adam and Drew can dissect a caller almost immediately.

It is pretty telling that Drew can hit the nail on the head despite not being a psychologist. I see quite a few people that have experienced trauma daily due to my job/major and they all exhibit predictable patterns of behavior.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Double post.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

pilot posted:

If a hot, young, legal girl wanted to have sex with you, then would you, as a single guy, turn it down? If that girl turned out to be a little more mature than most girls her age, as well as had a developed sense of humor, why is it wrong to date her? If you click, you click.

This whole "a little bit more mature than most girls her age" rap is always misleading. These people usually just have some issues and being interested in much older guys is just one way that it manifests itself. They are never more "mature" than everyone else their age.

Enjoy yourself though. It doesn't have to be a "bad" thing. Just know that it has nothing to do with being very mature.

Judakel fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 5, 2008

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
I highly recommend the 2001 episode with Seth Green. I am not a fan of Family Guy but Adam makes Seth his bitch in a hilarious way. At one point he gets him to recite a Bible verse as his character on the show.

Saerdna posted:

Being mature means starting relationships that are sure to end disastrously and not learning :pseudo:

I am going to assume you are adding your 2 cents and pointing out that most relationships between people with a drastic age difference end with people learning nothing from it. Repeating the cycle again and again.

Judakel fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 9, 2008

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

c0ldfuse posted:

Stop fagging up the thread with this pilot poo poo.

Take a hike if you don't like it. Discussing delusional callers is part of the thread.

Bender posted:

So what is it about me that makes me unable to stand TACS? I absolutely love the Adam and Drew dynamic, and love Drew's afternoon show, but Adam on his own is just not my cup of tea.

I'd cut off my left leg for Adam to go back where he belongs.

The reality is that some of Adam's views border on the retarded and having 4 hours of him is too much. Drew, instead of playing his stooge, balanced him out and brought him down to earth every now and then. The same could be said about Adam's effect on Drew.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Grand Fromage posted:

Judging by his statements, yes. He thinks Arabs hate everyone and are incapable of being dealt with rationally, they only respond to violence. I doubt he has any idea that places like Iran were once very popular American vacation destinations. I don't know what you're trying to prove here, since his own statements adequately demonstrate a significant lack of knowledge about the Middle East.

Carolla's Loveline years don't seem to indicate that he thinks all Arabs hate the U.S. and therefore it is impossible to engage any country in the region rationally. He has had plenty of bad things to say about conservative Arabs who partake in normalized abuse (such as female circumcision) and those who dislike western influence, but he knows there are more progressive Arabs out there and he has commented on it a time or two.

I remember a call close to 9/11 where a girl was very offended that Carolla had seemingly lumped all Arabs into one big pile of anti-U.S. sentiment when telling Drew how much he disliked the qualifiers that many clerics added after their condemnation of the attacks. Carolla was pretty quick to clarify for her that this did not mean he felt all of the Middle East was a "problem" or that everyone in the region held anti-U.S. sentiments.

quote:

I don't want to drag the thread off topic, but there's not really an argument. He knows a lot more about World War 2 than the average person but that doesn't make him a Middle Eastern scholar.

I agree with you that Carolla knows little about the Middle East, but that was not the argument you framed above. There is no arguing with the fact Carolla is no scholar on the Middle East, but he acknowledges that not all Arabs fall under the same umbrella from an ideological standpoint.

He may know little about the Middle East but he has rarely spoken out against those who hold more progressive stances in that area of the world. Passing comments that generalize along the lines of "those people..." is as far as he has gotten. When prodded he has made the distinction between those who promote hateful anti-U.S. sentiment and those who do not.

If he has explicitly said otherwise on his new show then please let me know.

Judakel fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 17, 2008

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Phone posted:

He can recognize a poo poo car, mainly because it would be a poo poo car. He doesn't rag on American cars, but he knows the difference between a good and bad car. It just so happens more times than not, American cars cannot keep up with their Japanese and European counterparts.

Has there actually been an American car that he has spoken highly of during his years in Loveline? Carolla has made his contempt for American cars pretty clear over the years. Muscle cars from the 70s have even received their own rants.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Cars aside, does anyone know what happened to the older Loveline Central files? I really need something to sheer me up and I have never heard a show from before 2001. Unfortunately the links for the older shows are dead at Loveline Central.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Graham Wellington posted:

Just listened, it's a drop that Anderson throws in there. It's not Sarah.

I remember an episode where that drop was used and Adam started to talk to Drew about it. He started out with "You remember those two?". Apparently they were playmates who came in, were very obnoxious, and Adam asked them to leave at some point. One of them dated Charlie Sheen according to Drew.

Unfortunately they mentioned no names throughout this conversation. Another one of those conversations that just feels like Adam and Drew talking off-air.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Graham Wellington posted:

My guess for the oyster clip is late 2000/early 2001, or late 1999/early 2000, I forget which one, but I remember hearing a show from early 2001 or early 2000 where Anderson plays the clip and Adam and Drew react to it as if it were brand new.

The oyster clip was the show Robert Rodriguez was on. Adam was drugged because he had dental surgery earlier in the day.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Sorry, I meant to say the Oyster Line came from the PAUL Rodriguez show. I can't listen to the entire thing but I am pretty sure. Can anyone confirm?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Jesus christ, Maneater really does blow.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
There is something so irritating about the first caller on 5/22/03. Every narcissistic "you must know everything about me because the world revolves around me" caller in one.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

UltraRed posted:

Is this the Joel McHale that replaced John Henson? I can't stand talk soup now.

And you could stand the smarmy oval office that was John Henson? Whatever.

Everyone give a listen to the Aisha Tyler episode. She is relaxed, funny, and very smart.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Maarak posted:

edit. found it. It was How Say You? on 7/08/08, and is deliciously ignorant.

This really stinks about most of Adam's rants. For every time he really shows someone up there are 2 times where he is just talking out of his rear end. I love his ability to improvise too much to stop listening though.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Bender posted:

I enjoy most of his rants, but the only one I can't stand is when he starts talking about the magic truth detector that will instantly fix the legal system.

I get very bored with that one but I did enjoy the transition he made once from a truth detector rant to a girl's yeast infection:

Caller: "My coochy feels like its on fire."

Adam: "My machine could solve this."

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Loveline Archives has the same DAG shows listed 2001 rather than 2000. At least from what I could hear in the first few minutes they seemed like the same. Any clue as to who is correct?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Grand Fromage posted:

These days I think it's as good, if not better than Loveline. The first year was a little rough, it seemed like Adam didn't have much control. Then there was the Year of the Bonaduce, which got old very quickly. Now it's right on target.

Eh, I think most of us saying that we don't enjoy it wouldn't enjoy any "good radio" as Adam would call it.

I enjoy Loveline for the same reason I enjoyed The Ricky Gervais show on XFM. It is a little bit of a mess and even the hosts have contempt for the show. They just sit back and chat like old friends without worrying about "segments", "characters" or proper radio. Attempts at proper skits or segments are for the most part half-assed during these shows. They lose that feeling of everyone involved being completely unprepared.

I think that is the biggest shift between TACS and Loveline for me.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

The Duke posted:

edit: just looked up the 9-30-2002 episode, Kathy Griffin :barf:

They don't make fun of him during this episode. Drew and guest mention it early on and he dismisses it fairly quickly. Not nearly as much amusement as we wish comes from the entire situation.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

DrVenkman posted:

I need to go along with the people who can't stand DAG. I'm glad he wasn't made presenter of the show. Bare in mind my only actual experience with him is that episode where he split up with his girlfriend (6 weeks previous) and spends the whole time wailing and shouting. Drew and Adam just sit there laughing it up like he was some kind of genius. I don't think I even lasted 10 minutes.

Oh come on... She was a whore!

"Take that sack out of your mouth and come home!"

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

blacquethoven posted:

Does anyone know the name of Adam's "theme song" that he talks about sometimes? The one he says he imagines playing when he walks into a bar in a badass leather jacket, all the girls swivel to look at him, etc.

Also bonus points if you know of an episode where he talks about it.

Bleed American by Jimmy Eat World.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTF6_uaA9K0

Judakel fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 19, 2008

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

elwood posted:

Whaaaa Tracy Metro sucks. Whaaa Damashek sucks. Whaaaa Bonadouchebag sucks (he really did though). Whaaa Strasser sucks. See a pattern here? Some people aren't truly happy as longs as Adam has someone at his side that is not Dr. Drew.

I call these people "normal".

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

JGdmn posted:

That was amazing. So many people call the show just to talk and never want to hear Drew or Adam's opinion, it was great to hear it put so plainly.

Can anyone share this show? It sounds brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
What episode had Drew's daughter in it? It was the most adorable thing ever. Hilarious to hear Adam interacting with kids.

• Locked thread