Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absolut Mike
Oct 22, 2004

Primae noctis menage a trois.

gimpfarfar posted:

Their advice seems pretty down-to-earth, and I mostly listen for Adam's anecdotes and rants anyhow (his ACLU vs Fundies -rant is pure gold, I can't get enough of it).

Adam's rants really make the show for me. On this topic, try listening to the 04-08-01 show.

Adam uses pretty simple questions in response the "Right to Lifer" guest that's on the show. He makes it clearly obvious that the woman, and her organization, are full of poo poo, especially their "data." It actually kind of pisses me off that Dr. Drew says almost nothing during their debates and kinda leaves it up to Adam. Adam obviously has no problem holding his own, but the guest doesn't really take him seriously. Dr. Drew, as a medical professional, holds so much more clout that I think she would have been forced to retract some of her statements, at least for the purposes of the show.

Drew is like that with so much in his life; you start to learn this as you listen for a number of years. Sometimes he seems a lot more concerned with how people perceive him than with actually standing up to them.

Also, on topic of Adam's rants, I find the rants about life in Southern California funny, but seeing as how I've never been to L.A. or Orange County, I don't think I can truly appreciate them. But I guess Southern California goons can support those statements (All cities in L.A. with nice names are actually dumps, Bakersfield is a MASSIVE dump, North Hollywood sucks, the police there write the most chicken poo poo tickets i.e. Burbank should change its name to RAPEBANK, never have the traffic signs on the highways EVER given any useful information, the L.A. Unified School District is a disaster, etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absolut Mike
Oct 22, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

And at some point he points out that even if there is a correlation there, it's because people using birth control are probably having sex more than people who aren't using it, therefore of course the STD rate would be higher.

He actually brought up that oval office on his morning show not that long ago, when ranting about people who claim to have data for something and actually don't.

The other big one for him is the Second Hand Smoke topic.

IIRC, every now Adam would use that as his main example for discussing how much he hates it when people just make up data to prove a point. In retrospect, this is probably just another building block in culture of fear that was growing at the time and hit its watershed moment with 9/11 (I can remember him bringing this topic up in episodes as far back as '99).

As many people died from second hand smoke as the Vietnam War? Adam and Drew knew, as any sane person should, that this had to be full of so much poo poo. And when Adam "demanded" data to back up this claim, he knew that they could never provide it.

Absolut Mike
Oct 22, 2004

Kaso posted:

He just added a bunch of extra stuff on the archive so i just listened to this, and wow, its an interesting show. It was a bit of a shame drew didn't have much clout, and i think if he had the same interview several years later he'd be a bit more assertive about things like BC/Breast Cancer and stuff.

But also, this show is the source of the "No, Not alright!" drop that i've been hearing for ages, and man that was awesome, The whole way through that call, all i could think was "This guy sounds exactly like a SA fakeposter" The rediculously asian sounding accent coupled with the white supremacy theme, plus his dedication to the joke.

Also his claim he was from South America. :pwn:

Absolut Mike
Oct 22, 2004

blacquethoven posted:

Apparently the Chumbawamba loveline was November 3, 1997, hopefully someone can find it because I love hearing when Adam gets pissed at/makes fun of the guests. Does anyone know any other shows available in the archive where Adam gets into it with the guest?

I can't recall anything specific, but this isn't usually Adam's style. He usually just acts all polite, and the next night will rip into them, while Drew says nothing.

Absolut Mike
Oct 22, 2004

One of the funniest bits Adam and Drew did was "Drew's Fantasy Answer" where Adam would impersonate a dumb caller with a dramatic problem and Drew would give the worst advice he could.

They rarely did this and Drew playing off Adam's ridiculous scenarios without skipping a beat was priceless.

Does anyone know the dates of some episodes where they featured this?

Absolut Mike
Oct 22, 2004

c0ldfuse posted:

I normally skip non-Dr Drew episodes, but this one is great. The OB/GYN guy is on. This is going to be an Adam rant heavy episode for sure.

I love Dr. Bruce episodes.

They happen so infrequently that Adam truly remembers why he thinks Bruce is so annoying like 5 minutes into the show and has no problems telling him. It's like he forgets about Bruce until 1 minute until the show starts, and it takes 6 minutes for him to remember how he acts.

Absolut Mike
Oct 22, 2004

c0ldfuse posted:

Oh that reminds me of the episode were they are talking about the definition of a 'spaz' (I think thats the term they used) and said Dr. Bruce was a perfect example.

Dr. Bruce AKA Dr. Spaz

Absolut Mike
Oct 22, 2004

I was listening to an April 01 episode today (believe its 4/21/01) where Adam suggests a ribbed/gripped tab on the side of toilet seats for more sanitary handling.

Absolut Mike
Oct 22, 2004

1000 umbrellas posted:

That would be 2002, I just heard it the other day.

Yeah, I dunno why I typed 01. It was 04/21/02. That show also had a fantasy answer segment, where the caller thought Drew was being genuine.

Another bit which I don't think was mentioned here was Virtual Adam. Basically Drew could take calls, sans Adam, with Anderson just playing the following four drops:

"What are you gonna do?"
"That's why I make the big bucks."
"That's why you make the big bucks!"

and

"Good times!"

They took some calls using this format and it was some of the funniest poo poo I'd ever heard.

Absolut Mike
Oct 22, 2004

jvsclapius posted:

He's a big boy!

Hey, it takes all kinds.

God that's right too. Totally forgot about those two.

They really needed one more:

"But you can't judge, Drew! You can't judge!"

Absolut Mike
Oct 22, 2004

Hydrogen Oxide posted:

There was one episode where they talked about it a bit, one where some other engineer was subbing for him. I believe that it's a letter then a two digit number or something, except half of them are drops you had never heard or just nothing. I guess Anderson just loving memorized them all.

I think I remember that episode. They had the stand-in engineer start pressing random codes, and one of the drops that came up was the "All Your Base" music.

Absolut Mike
Oct 22, 2004

She made appearances on his remodeling show on TLC and I thought she was pretty attractive. Adam also did no disservice to his love of the full-chested woman by marrying her.

Absolut Mike
Oct 22, 2004

Thanks to Adam, I know all the lyrics now.

"Maybe you did... but you DON'T"

Absolut Mike
Oct 22, 2004

Does anyone know the origin of the drops

"I was just tryin' to get some dick"

or the girl singing Kumbaya.

Absolut Mike
Oct 22, 2004

Wasn't the Seth Green episode about the height of a door frame that Adam was berating a (female) caller for not even being able to make a reasonable estimate of?

Absolut Mike
Oct 22, 2004

I listen to an episode a day at work, and finally heard the episode where Adam explains he and Jimmy's experience with pot-brownies on a flight he just got off of, and about 20 minutes into the show the Culver City Police enter the studio and administer a sobriety test for Adam, who swears up and down he's not high. It's 08-08-02.

It's interesting for several reasons:

Adam doesn't berate the cop at all, instead directing all his surly aggression right at Drew, who is kinda trying to make wise-rear end comments during the tests.

Drew, after seeing Adam fail several of the tests, is concerned that Adam shouldn't drive home after the show.

Anderson is concerned with the equipment in the room where the test is taking place.

The episode is actually a pretty good one. Towards the end it includes a smoke-alarm call plus a mason-jar joke.

Absolut Mike
Oct 22, 2004

RitualConfuser posted:

I'm listening the 2001-04-08 show right now that is all about the morning after pill. Jenny from Right to Life is seriously annoying. She is talking about how evil the morning pill is and all birth control pills for that matter. She keeps pulling out "medical facts" which Drew keeps swatting down with actual medical facts and logic. She tried to claim that Japan (?) has a much lower rate of breast cancer than the US because they outlawed birth control. :psyduck:

Edit: the source of the "no not alright" drop is about 64 minutes in at the end of a conversation with a Columbian white supremest caller. He is talking about about how white people should be discouraged from having abortions and non-whites should be should be encouraged to have abortions.

I don't have a "top ten" list or anything, but this is really one of the best episodes of Loveline I can think of.

Absolut Mike
Oct 22, 2004

Ultimos posted:

It really is. The ironic part is that Drew and Adam rarely suggest abortion, but she looked like a moron thanks to her extreme abstinence and anti-birth control stance.

Best part is when she says she's a virgin.

Dr. Drew rarely gets that "gritting your teeth with anger" voice that Adam does, but when he does do it, it's usually about the fact that these anti-abortion people should be thrilled that the morning after pill could possibly curb abortions in the US by a significant amount if educated and distributed correctly.

I know Adam says it often, but he is right: The anti-abortion/birth control people aren't ant-abortion/birth control, they are pro-telling people what to do. He compares it to the NRA; they aren't pro-civil liberties as he says they claim, they, they are pro-guns.

For a great show, check out the 8/15/02 show. It might be the best rant episodes I've heard, as it contains rants about the above, plus a fantastic diatribe on the city of Burbank

Absolut Mike
Oct 22, 2004

Graham Wellington posted:

There's that one band from Hawaii that had a dude with the most awful laugh ever, and they were terrible. Atmosphere was another terrible one, with Bruce in as well.

One of the worst shows is a Dr Bruce one with Unwritten Law as the guests. They are drunk, and completely unfunny.

You can tell throughout the entire show that Adam has absolutely no patience for them.

Absolut Mike
Oct 22, 2004

exponentory posted:

Just listened to the 5-19-2003 Episode with Spider from Powerman 5000 and it had one of the weirdest most disturbing stories about this girl who called in that was being sexually abused by her grandfather. Adam's always right about wanting to just put a bullet in those guy's heads.

Sadly, this is not the most uncommon type of call, but was this a part of the "Miriam Saga?" I can't remember if it was '03 or '04, but I do remember it was during the springtime it intensified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absolut Mike
Oct 22, 2004

NIGARS posted:

I've been listening to a lot of Loveline and what consistently cracks me up is the stereotypical hoedown banjo music that Anderson plays if a caller with a thick southern accent or particularly retarded question calls. The best example I've heard so far is 2002-07-23, where at 24:30 a 16 year old asks if it's possible to get married under the age of 18 in Oklahoma. Anderson doesn't miss a beat with the drop and the call gets more and more ridiculous until it's barely believable. Also has the Drew buying condoms in Chinatown story.

Anderson didn't do it there, but there are times where he'll play the music, kinda let it go down to a low volume, and the second the caller reveals another "white trash" aspect of their life, it goes up to full volume. And it is hilarious.

• Locked thread