Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

TheBigBad posted:

You know who I hate? Anderson. I hate his rear end so much. He plays those loops a billion times and their funny like twice out of that billion. Otherwise he's just loving with the caller and annoying Drew with them. He's also a pretentious prick who hangs up on people for no good reason, even if it's getting interesting.

Anderson's greatest night is undoubtedly the 12-16-2004 episode featuring Papa Roach, where Anderson is drunk and tripping, and they have a technical meltdown. Anderson finds out that his phone can only be heard by the broadcast and not by Adam or Drew and proceeds to freak out on the air. Then he tells Adam how he sells his Christmas present on Ebay every year. This is the same episode with the fudgepacking and Theo's christmas song, too. Probably the best episode ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Nemo posted:

My favorite bit of Adam and Drew banter was always when Adam would try to relate the caller's problems to Drew's children. It made Drew horribly uncomfortable and Adam just wouldn't let it go.

This is pretty related to my own favorite moment of Drew's, which was where one of his kid's friends called in with some rather bizarre sexual problem. He refused to take the call on air once he learned that and told the person to talk to him in person next time she came over to his house, if I remember correctly.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Stryker sounds nervous as hell. Or that may just be his normal tone of voice. Not positive.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

"That way maybe I can go on Dancing With The Stars"

Adam: Oh yeah, you'd be that other guy from Loveline.

Holy poo poo Adam is being merciless to Stryker tonight. This is awesome. :supaburn:

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Hydrogen Oxide posted:

Was there any specific reason Adam left early? He used to do the Stern show on an hour of sleep a few days in a row.

Maybe he threatened to kill Stryker if he didn't stop interrupting him on air. Goddamn he was annoying, I'd have left early too.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Adam really tore into Loveline this morning on his show. I had always imagined that everyone there had an overall liking for one another, and even Anderson and Adam got along in a bizarre friendship way. This wasn't the case apparently. According to Adam this morning, no one ever liked him and he battled Producer Ann, the Production Manager, and pretty much everyone else minus Drew for the entire ten years.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Sir Liquid Jerk posted:

Newest podcast is up, Adam interviews Jack from Jack in the Box? :confused:

http://www.adamcarolla.com/

This is easily the weirdest podcast I've ever heard. It is surreal to hear without a doubt.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Edit: Little bit too inviting for a derail into WWII history. See post below.

Omnicarus fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 9, 2010

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Magnificent Quiver posted:

He really was though. Unless the deaths of millions of Russians is somehow superceded by the deaths of lesser millions of Jews/gypsies/gays/etc.

Grand Fromage posted:

And history books that he's never read. It depends how exactly you're defining "worse" but I'd say by any measure, Stalin was at least as bad as Hitler.

The only historical inaccuracy there was Truman was as or more hostile toward Stalin than Stalin was toward him, and should share in the blame for the Cold War.

I don't want to derail into a historical debate especially in a Loveline thread so I won't be retorting here. I'd be happy to list primary and secondary sources that counter these arguments and will do so if you'd like(Just PM me :) )

I am going to edit my original post to make sure it doesn't derail en masse. I don't want either of you to think that I am ninja-editing or anything of that nature. I was just a little short sighted and didn't consider that my comment could be inflammatory.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Holland Oats posted:

I like Theresa too and I generally don't agree with the people complaining here but I hit a wall with the Natasha Leggero show. Two or three straight shows with Adam going on a 15 minute rant about Africa was my limit.

Today's Africa rant was so stunningly terrible that I also had to turn the podcast off. Going on and on about how disgusting it was and how terrible the people were was just infuriating. Especially the part about "there isn't rape in africa, its called building a family :downs:"

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

The Senate posted:

You are the same guy that got mad at him saying Stalin was worse than Hitler. Maybe you should just find something else to listen to? Clearly this is not the podcast for you.

Wild assumptions ahoy. Foremost I didn't get mad by any stretch of the word. I voiced my disagreement with what Adam said and when it became apparent that it was going to derail the thread I apologized and stopped the discussion so the thread wouldn't derail further and offered to take the discussion to PMs(which was declined.) If anything this is the exact opposite of getting mad in that I didn't start making GBS threads up the thread with sources and walls of text to convey my opinion on a smaller comment made during the show. This was just a disagreement with what Adam said on the show and there was no emotional attachment made to it.

Secondly, I am sorry that you feel that any disagreement with Adam disqualifies someone from enjoying the show. I actually enjoy the show quite a bit but I also disagree with Adam from time to time. Since his official forums are awful I instead post my disagreement here. I don't see any problem in disagreeing occasionally and enjoying the show at the time.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

The Senate posted:

Now you're the guy that got mad at a guy for saying you got mad.

And I would've gotten away with it too if it weren't for you pesky kids!:argh:

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Glad to see that the show's mainstay of rape hilarity continued uninterrupted today. At this point I really just wish they would group it all together at the end so that as soon as I hear it mentioned I can just click on something else to listen to rather than skim through the rest of the podcast with the hope that a less juvenile topic comes up.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Six people posted:

:goonsay:

Good Lord I hope none of you ever see Adam in person. I don't know if you could divert your eyes fast enough to prevent yourself from ejaculating in your trousers. That would be embarrassing.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

malefactor posted:

:qqsay:

I DON'T GET JOKES

I only meant that some people in this thread seem to worship Adam, like a golden calf1 if you will. While they themselves lead continue their normal lives, they idolize Adam Carolla as an average man's avenue to straight forward, and occasionally crude, humor dealing with current events. This led me to put forward an idea that if they saw Adam in person they would experience a sudden sexualization of their idolization and respond by ejaculating/orgasming before they could control themselves. Since this is generally frowned upon by society, it would be embarrassing. I thought this would be funny since it was both a semi-hostile comeback to what I perceived as insults and incorporated the crude humor typically seen on the show. I am sorry if it did not translate well.

Edit: To further justify my attempt at making a joke, my previous joke that referenced Scooby-Doo2 seemed to go over rather well so I attempted to continue my streak and make another joke. I suppose I should consider my streak broken. :(

Omnicarus fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 18, 2010

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Today's podcast was very enjoyable. Johnny Knoxville is consistently a funny/hilarious-trainwreck guest and he and Adam have a good chemistry. I also think that now that the new format is getting settled into a routine both T and Bald Brian are fitting in well. Hopefully the upward trend continues.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I've ordered a 2-pack ManGrate thanks to the podcast. I'll see how it works once it gets here.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

That Suicide Lady that was on the podcast today wasn't a very good interviewee. You could tell that Adam wanted to get into what was wrong with her but he couldn't.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I'm not sure I understand this argument so let me try to summarize and correct me if I'm wrong.

-Adam says that Leno is ignored at the Emmies because people are snobs.

-This thread says that it isn't true that people are snobs, Conan is objectively funnier.

- This is followed up with the argument that Adam shouldn't defend Leno on the basis that the Emmie people are snobs but rather on the idea that Leno is a friend but objectively less funny than Conan.

Aren't you proving Adam's point about snobbery in saying that he must know that Leno is inferior to Conan and must be defending him because he is a friend? Maybe he really thinks Leno is funnier, you know, gets his brain tickled in a way that Conan doesn't. I'm not an expert in comedy though, so if I ain't getting something just let me know.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Man Teresa sure don't like Lady Gaga. She must stir up some bitter emotions in her. She's been hitting her with the bus every time music comes up for a week now.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

From the sound of this, Mrs. Strausser ain't gonna be on the podcasts no more since shes gonna be doing the morning radio again. Heres the webzone for her new show

http://www.kabc.com/showdj.asp?DJID=56374

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

visuvius posted:

Ha. I like how there is no mention of her time on Carolla's morning show anywhere in that otherwise quite thorough bio.

That station is managed by none other than Jack "The Bullet" Silver.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Tell me about these rocks.

I'm surprised Adam has never commented on Huell's crowning moment: A lizard crossing the road in Australia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRRggVAwqAM

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

There was a while there when you could fax them a question and they'd get it on their tractor feed fax machine.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

exponentory posted:

I was under the assumption Minka does indeed seldomly play tennis, as the number two (or was it three?) big boob queen?

Minka used to be number 1, back in the heyday of polypropylene string implants. However those have been replaced by other methods and are actually now illegal.

Regardless she has been surpassed by the newest generation of big boob queens. BeShine and Chelsea Charms are one and two respectively. Third is probably Miosotis. Hitomi Tanaka and Fuko Love are 4th and 5th. Minka is probably a distant 6th or lower given how poorly PSIs performed in the long run. BeShine is the only PSI-augmented model that is still around frequently and she has monthly surgery to remove the fluid buildup that results from those implants. Bad juju.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Adam was really only mean to callers when they would call, ask for advice, then decide that they no longer wanted advice, but were actually offended at the suggestions made by Drew. Otherwise he seemed pretty chill. He'd make fun of the callers as a whole, but really he was pretty tolerant overall.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Carolla is on the newest WTF for anyone interested. I love Marc and Adam and I'm really surprised to see Adam on there, considering the two seem to really dislike one another.

Edit: Apparently the two actually do get along okay. And Adam is a lot more like Loveline Adam.

Omnicarus fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Mar 24, 2011

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

NotWearingPants posted:

He (Maron) had a feud with Greg Fitzsimmons too but Fitzsimmons barely seemed to be aware of it, or at least didn't really care. They are actually pretty good together, Maron being the ultra-neurotic hyper-sensitive basket case and Fitzsimmons being a guy who loves to instigate and provoke reactions.

Maron is pretty much hosed as far as relationships go, and this is coming from someone who loves his podcast. A vast majority of his problems with celebrities seem to be imagined or grudges held for twenty or thirty years now. Not to mention that everyone he has on that knew him prior to being interviewed had at some point pissed Marc off to a point that he stopped speaking to them.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Vertigus posted:

I've listened to like six of Maron's podcasts based on recommendations and on every single one he talked about how he had some sort of grudge with the guest. The Patton Oswalt one confused the hell out of me, and there was one where he was talking to a young comedian and talked about having problems with the guy when the guy clearly had no idea what Maron was talking about.

Maybe I should watch some of his stand-up, because right now I have no idea how that piece of work managed to get famous.

Maron appeals to a really strange niche. I don't want to sound :smug: but you have to have a streak of manic depressive in you to really understand where he is coming from when he does his flow of consciousness bits. His comedy isn't really funny imo, but it is incredibly relatable if you have the same streak in you. He mentions this in the adam podcast that his audiences are diverse, but the one common factor is the pretty much everyone in the audience is alone, manic-depressive, or outright nuts.

And I wouldn't really call him famous. He is a man who is a wreck but he is honest about it and he is trying to get through it publicly. He knows that he has massive failures in his life, but he still doesn't quite get why they happened and he is inviting you into his 100s-of-mixed-puzzles emotional trainwreck People are drawn to that for some reason.

Also say what you will about him, the man is an ace interviewer. Gallager being an exception.

Edit: Sorry, I know this thread isn't about Maron.

Also in that interview, Adam made one of the most poignant points I have ever heard him make. His story/point about how when you are really poor, you consider success to be this alien idea that you can't even interface with except when you visit other people's houses, and even then you don't really get it.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Sir Liquid Jerk posted:

Giovanni is a really weird motherfucker, he had access to a lot of obscure LL related things like a full two hour security tape of the second Pennywise incident. He was such a crazy weirdo though he got banned from a private LL torrent tracker despite the fact he provided such a large amount of content for it.

Didn't he essentially sell the LL/ACP community down the river once he actually started working for Adam? I remember reading widespread discontent about how Giovanni was more or less calling any complaints about the podcast the ravings of deluded fans when it was just people trying to give Adam honest and accurate advice regarding technical aspects of the show.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Vertigus posted:

I was listening to the stream last night and caught an episode I hadn't heard before. Adam and Drew were taking IQ tests, and Adam was desperately trying to play off the fact that he scored 91 (Drew got 120). Hilarious!

If I remember correctly didn't Drew more or less say that Adam's functional illiteracy probably didn't help his IQ score?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Giovanni is loving creepy.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

unionfudgepacker.com

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

REEEVERBLIGHTINGROUND.com

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

AdamsOysterWorld.com

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

The Darkness always seemed really hyped up as storming out the show but in reality it just seems like the band were out of their depth and it wasn't what they were expecting and politely said they were going to go. To be fair I seem to remember that show started with a bunch of rape calls too.

Yeah The Darkness episode is incredibly exaggerated in Adam's memory for whatever reason. It pretty much went like you described. A bunch of really horrible calls and then the band just said, "hey, we're not really comfortable giving advice on this, we thought this was an interview program. Best of luck but I think we'll head out, sorry." And that was that.

Compared to Pennywise, The Gorillaz, or Adam's Worst Gas Ever Night, it was a placid affair.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

It's really weird. I heard Adam tell that story once after he was really pressured to, but I've never heard him tell it again or even hint at it.

I'd say he made a good decision, Lynette seems pretty awesome and she's very pretty to boot.

Omnicarus fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 8, 2011

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Teepkick Shakur posted:

Does anyone know what episode the Lynette story is on? From what I remember, since Adam became literally a millionaire he decided instead of getting married he would gently caress around for a year and if she still wanted to get back together they would. I didnt know about the apartment thing...I didnt think it could get anymore bizarre.

Not sure what episode it is in, I think it was an episode of the Morning Show where Dr. Drew was on, or maybe one of the really early podcasts.

The story basically went that Adam had gone from being locally known and very well paid to being nationally known with The Man Show and just wanted to gently caress around Hollywood for a while, and at the same time he and Lynette were living together. So he dumped her but she couldn't afford to pay for her place, car, etc, when he left because he paid for so much. So he bought her apartment, etc, outright and gave it to her so she wouldn't have to downgrade. Then they stayed friends for the year he hosed around, then they got back together and got married.

The weirdest thing was that, according to Adam, his year of dating around Hollywood was an abject failure and didn't result in much at all. The whole story really gave the sense that he had vastly overestimated his own fame and influence and fell flat on his face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Whitey Ford posted:

It's the head from a cemetery call right now.. I love this episode

That call is one of the most simultaneously hilarious and terrifying calls that I ever heard on LL. That guy had absolutely no qualms about digging up a relatively recently buried corpse and twisting its head off with his bare hands.

• Locked thread