Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

MaxxBot posted:

I love Adam and he manages to be really funny and still give out good advise, but I find Dr. Drew extremely annoying and rarely funny at all. I haven't listened to the show in a while but I seem to remember Dr. Drew making some pretty ridiculous comments. I remember him in all seriousness calling a 16 year old with a 13 year old boyfriend a "sexual predator" and basically saying "eww gross" and other homophobic poo poo when some caller was talking about their gay relationship. I also remember him spreading all sorts of misinformation about drugs, it reminded me of 5th grade DARE class or something.

1) Dr. Drew is not funny. Adam is there to lure people into listening to the show, Drew is there to give medical advice. He runs a general medical practice as well as an addiction center. He deals with addicts every day and he knows the general medical stuff as well. (Adam mocks people who don't know this by saying, "Are you a real doctor or just a love doctor," whenever Drew goes into a technical explanation of what's going on.) Also, Adam learned most of what he knows from Dr. Drew, he just presents it in a funnier way.

2) The difference between a 16-year-old and a 13-year-old (and I suspect the age gap was greater than that) is profound. I've listened to about four years of shows and I haven't heard him overreact. If it's a 20-year-old and a 35-year-old he is cautious but not dismissive. If it's a 13-year-old and an 18-year-old he has a problem and so does Adam. Adam always argues that high-school should be 10th to 12th grade for this very reason.

3) Neither Adam nor Drew have a problem with homosexuality. The only time they question it is when a 14-year-old wants to announce to his/her parents that they're gay. If they know the parents have a problem with it they tell them to wait till they're out of the house. Partly because there's no sense in telling them that while they're living there (if they are gay it will just make life more difficult) and partly because they're usually trauma survivors who may just be acting out.

4) The only time Drew mentions number of doses is when he's talking about X, or some other psychoactive drug. And it was more than two doses. He referenced a paper that showed that a certain number of doses of certain psychoactives lead to permanent brain injury.

Adam talks all the time about doing shrooms occasionally and about smoking weed, and Drew doesn't harp about it. From what I've heard both Adam and Drew are atheists who have no problem with any activity as long as it doesn't harm the person or society at large.

They often tell people that sex with random people they meet is fine as long as they wear a condom and Drew is comfortable saying that a person is not an addict if they have no family history of alcoholism and they aren't continuing to use in the face of consequences. He doesn't want people to use, but he always asks people about their use before telling them they have a problem and he always has evidence to back up what he says.

Just listen to one of his rants about how the morning-after pill works or him telling a speed addict that it doesn't have any long-term effects.

He's a good scientist and a good doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

Jabovl posted:

Does anyone have the episode where it's Adam alone and he only takes calls about carpentry? I've been looking for that one forever, I believe it's Jan 6, 2002 but it isn't on the archive.
Thanks for making this thread and reminding me about Loveline. That random stream is awesome.

I've heard people mention this, but I'm about 20 episodes from listening to everything in the archive and I haven't heard it. Either it happened before those shows, or it never existed, or it was a dream. There were one or two episodes where Drew came in a few minutes late, so maybe that's where it came from.

And P.S.: Anderson added a huge does of humor to the show. He was very quick-fingered and his banjo-music drops and "Liar, liar!" drops are almost always appropriate and give Adam a laugh. His passive-aggression toward Adam is also funny.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

Why do people constantly flip out and totally exaggerate what happened with The Darkness. They thought they were going on a show to just promote their album and band. It turned out they went on a show to mostly help answer serious questions about peoples personal problems. They did not feel qualified or comfortable participating so they left. They mentioned as they were leaving that they had great respect for what Adam and Drew did and were sorry to disappoint any fans looking forward to hearing them. I don't even like the Darkness but I don't see a reason to fault them that much for that.

I agree with you to a degree, it's not like they stormed out or insulted the show. They explained on-air why they were leaving and said they respected what Adam and Drew were doing but didn't feel like they could help with it.

The important points are that:

1) They obviously were not informed AT ALL about what the show was like.
2) They were completely shocked at the seriousness of the calls.
3) They weren't content to remain mostly silent like many other guests do (which I think Adam would let them get away with) and leave after the first hour.

I listened to all the shows in the archive and it's basically the reaction I'd been waiting for. Many famous people get on the show without knowing what it was about and it is interesting to see how they react to it. Some open up about their personal lives, and some equivocate and keep up their media personality. The Darkness are the only guests I know about who have publicly said that they aren't comfortable with the content and left on-air. I suspect that many other guests who had to leave after an hour because of an "early day tomorrow" politely asked if they could leave early and were given an on-air excuse.

It's just one of those rare honest moments you get in (what I think of as) big-time media. I don't disrespect them for their reaction, but the honest "we-can't-handle-this" confession was very rare for Loveline guests.

Also Adam insulted them on later shows so that may indicate that they said other things off-air that he judged as rear end-holeish.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I listened to everything in the archive and (since this thread is still going) I recommend listening to the November 8, 2007 episode at https://www.lovelineshow.com for a modern Loveline show where Stryker is sick, so it's just Dr. Drew and Andy Dick.

It's interesting to hear how Drew has grown into a more pro-active role as a radio host, and how the Andy-Dick-on-Loveline saga continues nowadays. Drew seems much more comfortable dismissing the callers after he gives them his advice.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

Ultimos posted:

The Fletcher incident occured before Adam was on the show. In 1999 Pennywise came on again and Adam explains that it occured 5 or 6 years beforehand, and then plays the old clip.

https://www.ngsam.com/ultimos/Loveline - 1999-06-07 (Pennywise - Fletcher vomit clip - poo poo city).mp3

If someone could spare my bandwidth a little and put that on lovelinecentral that'd be awesome. (I can't seem to upload it)

Wow, thanks for this, you're really under-selling it. This is the second appearance of Pennywise, in which Fletch barricades the studio with a hand grenade and threatens to take everyone to "poo poo city".

I've heard this mentioned many times on the archived shows, but it's great to hear it live. Toward the end of the show you hear Fletch getting crazy, then they play a whole song after coming back from break to cover themselves. Then they come back and try to take a call but Fletch blocks the door and threatens them with a live hand grenade while the cops are outside the door. At the end you hear one band member and Producer Ann trying to end the show then it awkwardly cuts off.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

Nyo posted:

You could cut the size of that file in half and still have a listenable show. That'd help your bandwidth a bit.

But the last ten minutes are the best! Did you listen to it all?

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

True, but the stereo separation and audio quality is nice for such a legendary show.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

RandolphCarter posted:

Anyone know the shows with Miriam calling in? I remember hearing those being crushed because of what was going on with that girl. And I was loving pissed when I found out it was bogus.

I know that the May 19, 2004 show had her, the officer with Sober Graduation wanted to know if they had notified the authorities about her situation. I think this was her second call.

edit: does anyone know which show the audio for this flash animation was taken from?

I swear that I listened to every show in the archive, but I never heard this segment.

Malachi Constant fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Dec 15, 2007

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

Uppity Negro posted:

Been listening to 2004-01-07. Oh god, these are all so funny. I think I could spend all my time listening to one episode after another. Who knows how long that could last, what with how many 2-hour shows they did.

I listened to all the shows in the archive in about 3-4 months (yay self employment). I listened to about three shows a day. The best part is listening to a few later shows (especially the last two), then when you go through the shows in order you hear the origins of drops ("Are you a morman?", DAG's "SHUT UP!") and things like Ace's Mexican Accordion Ranchero Countdown and Germany or Florida.

It's such a fun show and I've learned so much from it I wish it could be required listening for everyone. As an atheist I especially loved Adam's rants against religion from a lay-man's perspective. He doesn't know anything about how the bacterial flagellum formed and doesn't know (or care, I suspect) who Richard Dawkins is, but he gets nails the points so well that it is a joy to listen to.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

Ramzi posted:

I had the idea, but I'm not sure it exists, and I guess it couldn't hurt to ask here...

Are there any programs that could take an Mp3 and make a text transcript out of it? I know there are voice recognition softwares, and I think we could train it because of how much of Adam's voice we have. Even if it can't do the guests, having a program that could make transcripts of all the episodes would be really useful. I often find myself looking back for a certain call but I don't remember what episode, or what time in the episode, it occurred.

If there were such a program all the people who do closed captioning for TV would be out of a job. The best you could do would be to train a speech-to-text program to your voice, then listen to the show and repeat everything that was said in your own voice. There's nothing that can do it automatically with any reliability.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

Rushmore posted:

http://lovelinecentral.com/mp3/Loveline%20-%202001-10-10%20(Save%20Ferris).mp3

I forgot to post the link - sorry!

For future reference this is also the origin of Adam's theme song and the joke with the clown music. Great show.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

Peppermate posted:

[...]

...along with more of the game they play where they put on the mexican music or whatever and guess how many seconds it'll take before the accordian comes in or something. I seem to remember them doing it every night (more or less) but I've only found one show that had them playing it so far.

That would be "Ace's Mexican Ranchero Accordion Countdown", which (according to wikipedia) debuted on October 19, 2004. It was played frequently from then to when Adam left the show.

I'm wondering if there is anywhere that has a wiki-like setup where we could post summaries of every show. I've listened to them all and I'm thinking about going through them all again. It would be nice to have a place where we could post summaries of each show and note important events (origins of drops, famous calls, first time X appeared).

Is there anywhere online that we could do this?

(P.S. A few pages ago someone mentioned bad blood between Adam and Drew. Drew was on Adam's show a while ago and Adam was on Drew's. There's no bad blood.

Also, Drew's new daytime radio show is really good. He takes calls like Loveline, but also has interesting guests. It's great for loveline reminiscing and has a good skeptical outlook. You can find it on iTunes.)

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

Carthag posted:

http://wiki.lovelinefan.com/

You can probably use that to add episode summaries. It'd be nice to have a short rundown of each show when you're trying to find something specific.

I've seen that site. It asks for a password, but I can't find any way to get a password. I also can't find any way to contact anyone who runs the site.

Malachi Constant fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Feb 1, 2008

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

bigbowlowrong posted:

Guys, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE direct me to a 'Pedif Isle' show (as described on the previous page)? God, I really want to hear it again but have forgotten what date the show was!

He also pitched it to TV giant Stephen J Cannell on his morning show recently. Go here and search for "Stephen J Cannell" to find it, though I think the original Loveline pitches were funnier.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

UltraRed posted:

Is it any good? What's it focus on? Any highlights you'd care to share?

I read Cracked a while ago and I really liked it. It's sort of like Celebrity Rehab in that he tells the story of several people in his clinic, but it's from his point of view and how he feels about it. The stories are really good and there's even a chapter about doing Loveline with Adam. After reading what goes on at his rehab clinic I was amazed he could joke around with Adam every night especially after having patients relapse or die all the time.

P.S. are many people podcasting Dr. Drew Live on KGIL? It's really good.

edit:

Just found this on YouTube even though it's old, it's great. The Adam Carolla Show and The Howard Stern Show connect live and "interview" each other. Both shows are live on the air talking to each other. It's bizarre. Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5

Malachi Constant fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Feb 13, 2008

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

DeusExMachina posted:

I'm trying to find the date or possibly an MP3 of the episode that spawned the "the world is your oyster" drop. Anyone know which one this is? I remember hearing it live. It seemed that Adam was pretty drunk/high, and I think he came in late to the show. Anyone have any information on this?

Lusy posted:

I can't tell you which episode it's from specifically, but it's from 2001 sometime. The story is that Adam and Jimmy had done a Man Show bit where they dressed up as pilots and got drunk. They were wandering around the airport and talking to people and then they'd ask them "so what flight are you on?" and then they'd respond "oh yeah, I'm the pilot on that flight", all while visibly drunk. They taped this and Adam had to rush across town to get to the studio in time for Loveline. He made it a little late (I think) and was still pretty drunk. He kept dropping gems like the "world is your oyster" drop all night much to Drew's chagrin. At one point Drew even says "please please, for the love of god, never come in here drunk again" or something to that effect. It's a fantastic episode if you can find it.

DownCrashing posted:

I just stumbled upon this one. Its the March 21st 2001 show.

To clarify this confusing chain of replies:

-The March 21st, 2001 show DOES feature Adam drunk after coming from the Drunk Pilot Man Show skit

-It DOES NOT include origin or of the "World is your oyster" drop, or of any "oyster" drops from Anderson. I think that drop's origin is pre-2001.

-In the March 21st show Adam DOESN'T drop banal generalities like the "oyster" drop, but Drew DOES ask Adam never to come in drunk again.

-Adam says he was "late" but not so late that he couldn't start the show on time.

-It IS an excellent show, I really enjoyed the cast of "First Years" pretty much openly acknowledging their shows doomed status ("See it while you can"). They never mention the show after the first break or so, and very comfortable discussing Loveline material.

(The show only filmed 8 episodes, no idea how many aired.)

Malachi Constant fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 16, 2008

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I found an interesting contrast. Listen to these two shows back to back.

(April 8, 2001) Compare the "Pro-Life" vs. "Pro-Choice" debate on this famous show.

with

this show with an "Abstinence Only" advocate, about two months later.

I love Adam's attitudes to each of these guests. In the first he holds almost nothing back since the "Pro-Life" advocate is really lying. In the second show he busts her chops heartily where she leans on religious ideas, but freely agrees with her when she makes sense ("We agree . . . good luck, but we agree"). Also, the second guest is much more willing to go with the flow of the show, which helps.

I think Adam is a skeptic even thought he doesn't know it.

edit: I think forced "Abstinence Only" education is pretty much useless, but I appreciate this person's general idea of teaching it though private funds, though I don't doubt she'd be happy to receive public money.

Malachi Constant fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Feb 21, 2008

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

NicktheNorse posted:

Anyone know anything about the archive torrent? Link in the OP is broken now.

I've found one torrent but its only got about 0.70 availability :(

I recently re-downloaded the torrent, so I know it's still active. I don't remember where I got it from, but here's a couple links that seem to be active:

http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/18138719/loveline?tab=summary

http://btjunkie.org/torrent/Loveline-Archive/40325a405ea0fee3d2ae4fdd9f5abb48b5781ca8dba4

Also, I don't think this is a :filez: problem since Drew and Adam publicly stated that they're fine with sharing episodes on the net and it's doubtfull Westwood One even has these old episodes archived, let alone is ever going to release them in any way.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

H2SO4 posted:

Sorry this is late, but I am preparing something like this. Any interest?

If you set up a Lovline Wiki, I'll happily contribute. I listened to all the episodes in the torrent last year and was just about to start again.

Hopefully we could get lots of goons to contribute. Anyone else up for it?

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

Hah, lovelineshow.com has this wonderfully up to date bio of Adam on their front page:

quote:

One of the most versatile men in Hollywood. He recently hosted Comedy Central's "Too Late with Adam Carolla" and starred in TLC's "The Adam Carolla Project," which chronicled the renovation and subsequent sale of his boyhood home.

I hope Adam and Drew slip in to their old roles and Stryker shuts the hell up.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

Overall, disappointing. Stryker steps on Adam's jokes and Drew's advice consistently.

Adam is on for only the first hour, then leaves abruptly with no announcement (I wonder if he had some kind of argument with Stryker and just walked out. He always wants to go home, so I wouldn't be surprised if he just said "gently caress it" and left. Adam promoted this appearance on his show, so it's surprising that he just disappeared after the first hour). Shortly after that, Jeff from Boise calls:

quote:

Caller: Hey, who's this jack-off? I want to talk to the real co-host.

Stryker: Yeah, it's me, Stryker, what are you doing?

Caller: Nah, the Ace man.

Stryker: He's gone! You-you gotta talk to me, Jeff. Come on you can handle it, buddy.

Anderson: Jim, Jim, Jim.

Stryker: Huh? Go back to Jim? Alright, let's see.

After that Stryker seems beat down. I'd feel sorry for him except he's so bad. Drew tries to help him, but it seems like he's so used to a strong lead host that he can't save him from his stupidity.

It's really surprising that after all the years that Stryker has been on the show he hasn't learned anything about the problems that the show handles. Even though Adam started out without knowing these things he learned quickly. It's embarassing to hear Drew stop and correct him so often.

I really like Drew's solo show that he does on AM during the day. It's so disappointing to hear how Loveline has fallen in the crapper.

I hope Adam will explain it during his show, but I fear he'll hold his tongue on behalf of Drew.

At the end there was this strange exchange:

quote:

Drew: It was my reunion night for me.

Stryker: Celebrity ... celebrity rehab reunion--

Drew: Reunion.

Stryker: --and Carolla reunion. But you and I are married, right?

Drew: Yes, that was the ex-wife show.

Stryker: That was your ex-wife, but you're still close with your ex-wife.

Drew: Right, we still have a friendship.

Stryker: Right, which is good. You're like Bruce Willis and Demi Moore.

Drew: In fact I like him just like--

Stryker: I'm Ashton Kutcher and you're Demi Moore!

Drew: No, it's even more weird because I like him more as a friend than as a wife.

Stryker: Oh, you do?

Drew: As soon as he comes in here all of a sudden it's like, "oh yeah that's why we got divorced."

Anderson: He's like my abusive uncle, I know that much.

edit: I recorded the show, and I'll host it if the mods are okay with it...

Malachi Constant fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Mar 14, 2008

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

bigbowlowrong posted:

^The mods won't care, we post direct links to full show mp3s in this thread as a matter of routine.

Okay, here's last night's show, commercial free. Right click and Save As. It's on my own hosting.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

Interrupting Moss posted:

It really wasn't that funny. I've hardly listened to shows with Stryker, but Drew seems to yell a lot and be overall more agitated. It's offsetting because I'm used to hearing him more calm and rational compared to Adam's insanity.

Listen to Drew's daytime show, or his appearances on Adam's show. He's grown into his righteous indignation in a good way. Especially on his daytime radio show he rails against things like being handcuffed by insurance companies and idiotic comments by people like Dr. Phil and Dr. Laura.

He honestly seems to be doing Loveline out of habit lately. Stryker is a entertainment-sucking vacuum.

This show is more historical and interesting rather than funny.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

Saerdna posted:

Can anyone link to the right mp3 with Adam complaining about the Loveline cast? I can't find it.

http://www.971freefm.com/pages/podcast/43.rss

http://www.971freefm.com/episode_download.php?contentType=36&contentId=1631926

and

http://www.971freefm.com/episode_download.php?contentType=36&contentId=1631933

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

tehk posted:

I have seen the movie and loved it, I was pleasantly surprised that it was not the movie I was going in to see(I was expecting it to be just comedy). It also got great reviews on At the Movies where Roeper and his guest gave it a 'thumbs up' of sorts and even placed it on his Three to See

Thanks for posting this, I can't wait until Monday to hear Adam complain about how they're echoing the "it's actually a good movie" sentiment that he's been complaining about.

Also:

That's what happens when you host a 77 Meg file of a loveline episode. Good thing I've got bandwidth to spare.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

subscreet posted:

What a coincidence. I was just going to suggest we create some sort of wiki where people provide a list of calls with a short description of the call as well as any notable funny moments, quotes, or soon(I know there's a quote archive but I'm talking about something more comprehensive.)

I've mentioned this idea before. I don't know anything about starting a wiki, but clearly there are (at least) several people who would be willing to contribute to it, including me.

As far as format goes here are my suggestions for episode notes and pages:

1) Drop sources (First time for "You're Gay", and "The world is your oyster")
2) Common stories (Adam's Stripper Girlfriend, How Drew picked Adam)
3) References (Violent Jay, Popcorn Tin)
4) Bits (Betting on a caller, Ranchero Countdown)
5) Loveline Moments ("The Darkness" interview, David Arquette rushes in)
6) Personal Revelaions (Adam's engagement, Drew's kids at Disneyland)
7) Famous callers (Dog Fucker, the guy who stole the corpse's head)
8) External media ("The Man Show", "Dawson's Creek", "New York Minute")
9) Repeat/Famous guests (DAG, System of a Down)
10) FCC rules (can't say "piss" or "rear end in a top hat" anymore)
11) Frequency of drops (Every few months Anderson is told to lay off)

I would contribute like hell to this sort of Wiki.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I'm missing the Clive Barker show, where did you get it? I wanted to hear it :(

Anyways...

You won't see it coming.

When I hear these calls I can't help but wonder if it's a Miriam call.

If you don't know she was a caller that was later busted as bogus, and admitted to making multiple bogus calls to the show. She was always very good at fooling Drew and Adam by giving real-sounding responses to their questions. Her stories were always over the top, I think she was busted on a series of calls about living with a step-father who was currently sexually abusing her. One of them was a show when some cops were guests, but I don't remember the date.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

Here's some links that aren't strictly Loveline related, but I recently found them searching for Adam and Drew on the NPR site. I subscribe to several NPR podcasts, and I love the idea of Adam on NPR shows:

Adam on "Talk of the Nation" discussing why he created "The Man Show" and the idea of "The New Machismo". - Funny because Adam is intellectualizing on NPR and debating with callers and the editor of Details and Spin magazines. Also, he asks a caller for his TV when he says he doesn't watch TV anymore, and he berates a caller who says "The Man Show" leads to rape. You might need a RealAudio alternative to hear it. (47 minutes, January 2000)

Adam discusses Crank Yankers on "All Things Considered" and how it's possible to record the calls. (7 minutes, March 2003)

Dr. Drew on "Fresh Air" - Drew is interviewed about his book "Cracked" and discusses Adam's contribution to Loveline to the brainy NPR audience. About 13 minutes in he starts talking about Adam, and betting on callers. I work in TV, and have shot and edited lots of interviews, and this kind of thing is what makes me think Drew is not a media doctor, but a real doctor. The way he doesn't interrupt the host when she is saying things that he doesn't necessarily agree with, and the way he answers the "hooking up" question shows me that he's not putting on a front to push his show, but really trying to give knowledge to people. Also, his anecdote at the end about discussing sex with his kids is great, and not the sort of thing Adam would put up with on Loveline. (24 minutes, September 2003)

Adam is interviewed on "Morning Edition" about replacing Stern. (4 minutes, January 2006)

Adam is briefly discussed and interviewed about replacing Stern with his own morning show. (5 minutes, April 2006)

The Hammer is reviewed 9:56 in. - Sort of a lukewarm review. (~2 minutes, March 2008)

Malachi Constant fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Mar 31, 2008

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

Just a note for the wiki:

The 04-05-2000 show is the origin of Drew's "ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIIIIIGHT, OKAY!" drop. It's in reference to women saying that when men hammer them about having a threesome. The full context is:

Adam: Alright, let's speak to John, John is 25. John?
Caller: Yeah.
Adam: What's up?
Caller: Uh, not much how are you doin'.
Adam: Good, what's your question?
Caller: Um, my girlfriend and I have been going out for a while now, and, uh, we always, uh, talk rather sexually, er, provocatively while we're having sex, and we've been contemplating on having a, uh, another person in our relationship.
Drew: "We've been contemplating" or you've been hammering her about that?
Caller: Uh, probably the latter, er, the latter part of that.
Adam: Yeah, you've been-, you've been bugging her about it.
Adam: Alright.
Drew: I love guys. We came together, we reached a conclusion that we'd love to have another third person.
Guest (Chris Hardwick): Hey, let's do it with someone else, I dunno, hey, we're talking about it, Hey, I you know...
Drew: It's always the girl going, "ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIIIIIGHT, OKAY!"

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

^^^^^^^^what he said...

Soychemist posted:

Drew Pinsky has some really crazy ideas about the evolutionary origins of alcoholism. He thinks it developed during years of warfare in Scotland because the same gene which makes people drunks also allows them to keep their wits about them on the battlefield. They do best under lots of pressure.

First, as another poster said, he didn't say alcoholism originated in Scotland, but that it was a trait that was naturally selected for. The same might be said for some Native American tribes where it's really strong. Recently on Dr. Drew Live he correctly guessed that a caller had at least 1/4 of a certain tribe in her blood since every single member of her family was an alcoholic.

I don't know how accurate that idea is, you'd expect the most violent groups to breed the largest number of alcoholics and I don't know if that's the case. But his point is that, without plentiful alcohol or drugs around, the alcoholic gene seems to serve people well in some other way, and that seems plausible to me.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

The Pantheon posted:

one question that's always intrigued me is how the hell Anderson does what he does so well?
I don't know much about radio production, but I often hear Drew saying "Anderson put that on a cart", which I assume are the segments of data that hold all Anderson's drops.. but.. how the hell is he so fast with some of them?

Does he have an iTunes-ish method where he types "laug" and all the carts with "laugh" come up and he chooses what he wants, or does he remember it by number? Have they ever explained how Anderson works his Liberaci magic on air?

I was looking for a picture I've seen of his setup, but couldn't find it. It looked like a 4 x 20 rack of carts (like 8-track tapes) with various funny labels on them.

On the bright side I found a great cache of images on The Loveline Compantion. so I thought I'd share.

Let's start with Anderson:

Anderson and his film tattoo (bald Bryan in the background).

Anderson working the board.

Bald Bryan and Anderson at the computer. I think that stack the the left are the carts they use to store drops on.

Call screener "TARE-ah"-don't-call-me-"TAR-ah"-godammnit.

Wide view of the control room after Adam left with bald Bryan. Note that Leykis redecorated the place.

Another wide view, opposite angle.

Anderson's view of the show.

Adam and Drew in the glory days.

Drew always picked the calls. Note the post-its that Drew used to indicate which call he wanted to take next.

This is where the guest sat. (It's Amber Benson in this photo).

The phone line buttons Adam used to hang up on people.

The call screen. high tech LCD for back in the day.

Closer up on the call screen. Note how it highlights the current call, something that Adam has been complaining doesn't happen on the screen at his morning show.

Close up on a call description. ("Zoloff" :lol: ).

Another close up of a description.

The lobby of Westwood One. Adam always complains about the crappy carpentry.

The reception area.

Again from a different angle.

The studio doorway after Adam left.

The studio today.

The studio on Crank Yankers.

The bathroom Adam and Drew were always leaving to pee in.

The urinal in there.

The massive construction outside the studio that went on for about a year.

The tunnel they had to walk through to get to work.

A sign at the front of the tunnel. The band "The Used" signed it.

Adam and Lynette.

Drew and Susan.

Drew and his daughter Paulina.

Drew with Douglas and Jordan.

Drew with his triplets.

Drew as a kid.

BiscuitErsedRenton posted:

Billy Madison. "JUST DO IT!" happens when he's getting the kid to call his hot teacher. "ahahahha shaddup!" I believe is from the scene at the lunch table.

Also I just discovered the "This is drat exciting stuff." drop is from "Defending Your Life". It's bizarre to hear a drop in real life.

Malachi Constant fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 8, 2008

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

Grifter posted:

Anderson is punk as gently caress. Guess I should have seen that one coming.

"Engineer Anderson (foreground) with his friend, BJ, moments before BJ shaves Anderson bald with a Bic razor."

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

JeansW posted:

Thanks for that link. I really liked what Adam was saying about when people project everything onto other people then nothing is ever their fault and they have no reason to change anything in their life.

Does anyone else have any Adam or Drew recordings outside of Loveline? Any university speaches or other radio shows?

I posted this a few pages back, but here it is again:

Here's some links that aren't strictly Loveline related, but I recently found them searching for Adam and Drew on the NPR site. I subscribe to several NPR podcasts, and I love the idea of Adam on NPR shows:

Adam on "Talk of the Nation" discussing why he created "The Man Show" and the idea of "The New Machismo". - Funny because Adam is intellectualizing on NPR and debating with callers and the editor of Details and Spin magazines. Also, he asks a caller for his TV when he says he doesn't watch TV anymore, and he berates a caller who says "The Man Show" leads to rape. You might need a RealAudio alternative to hear it. (47 minutes, January 2000)

Adam discusses Crank Yankers on "All Things Considered" and how it's possible to record the calls. (7 minutes, March 2003)

Dr. Drew on "Fresh Air" - Drew is interviewed about his book "Cracked" and discusses Adam's contribution to Loveline to the brainy NPR audience. About 13 minutes in he starts talking about Adam, and betting on callers. I work in TV, and have shot and edited lots of interviews, and this kind of thing is what makes me think Drew is not a media doctor, but a real doctor. The way he doesn't interrupt the host when she is saying things that he doesn't necessarily agree with, and the way he answers the "hooking up" question shows me that he's not putting on a front to push his show, but really trying to give knowledge to people. Also, his anecdote at the end about discussing sex with his kids is great, and not the sort of thing Adam would put up with on Loveline. (24 minutes, September 2003)

Adam is interviewed on "Morning Edition" about replacing Stern. (4 minutes, January 2006)

Adam is briefly discussed and interviewed about replacing Stern with his own morning show. (5 minutes, April 2006)

The Hammer is reviewed 9:56 in. - Sort of a lukewarm review. (~2 minutes, March 2008)

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

elwood posted:

07-27-2003

She and her retarded Dad were also on the Adam Carolla Show (01-23-2008). You should try to find that one, it was painful to listen to.

Wow, that was surreal to hear after watching Celebrity Rehab. She mentions being a ballerina when she was a kid and Drew suggests she go into treatment for all the the problems caused by her (literally) retarded parents and her issues about sex. She also denies doing any drugs other than diet pills. Little did he know he'd get to know her problems so intimately.

Also it's their first night in the new studio and it gets off to a rocky start.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

Since this thread is getting a little lively again, I'd like to pimp Dr. Drew's other radio show. Dr. Drew Live is a noon-time AM show he host alone, and lately with Bob Forrest on Tuesdays. It's generally more heady than Loveline, and he's talking to a more educated audience than the usual confused teenager he gets on Loveline.

He covers diverse topics on the show, interviewing a Lincoln biographer one hour, then a reporter covering the Democratic primaries the next. Also, he takes Loveline-style calls throughout, but it's refreshing to hear people who actually understand what he's talking about rather than the typical 19-year-old with two kids who Adam used to get so frustrated with.

It's funny, he still does bad radio, I'm constantly amazed how poorly he throws the show to commercial, sometimes obviously talking slowly and saying nothing in order to get to the point where he can go to commercial, but he gets to talk about all the things Adam (and Stryker) wouldn't let him during Loveline, and use big words without having to dumb things down.

You can subscribe to it via iTunes or just listen on the above mentioned website.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

The Pantheon posted:

Yeah I thought I wouldn't warm to TACS because well, it wasn't LoveLine but that was superb. Probably because it had 2/3rds of what made an awesome LoveLine, Adam + DAG. When Theresa got pissed off time and time again it his snoring even funnier. Is there like.. a TACS archive?

Not all episodes, but it's a start:
http://www.971freefm.com/pages/1247.php

Also, I heard Adam mention this once or twice, but I just started listening to Behind The Unibrow, which is a behind-the-scenes podcast:

http://www.971freefm.com/Adam-Carolla---Behind-The-Unibrow/2275864

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

mfaley posted:

I really, really liked the Adam Corolla Project. Can I view those online anywhere, or buy DVDs?

There is no legal way to watch that show, they've never released it on DVD.

ANGRY VIRGIN GAMER posted:

Are there any episodes with Gary Busey in them other than 2003-07-07 and 2005-07-24?

The dude's just fascinating to listen to, and they're a couple of my favorite episodes.

1998-07-30 has him, and 2003-04-24 has Jake Busey.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

ANGRY VIRGIN GAMER posted:

Is he as loving nuts as his dad?

Listening to it now, he sounds very down to earth, but he comments on his how crazy his dad is.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

Bender posted:

As right as Drew probably is about Tom Cruise, it's not really his place to just go into interviews and try to analyze people who never asked for it.

Meh, first of all it's attention-whore-lunatic Tom Cruise, second of all Drew did a long study of narcissism and celebrity, so he's qualified to speak about it. Thirdly he has proven himself uncannily able to correctly diagnose people from small amounts of information.

Also, he mentioned this interview on yesterday's Dr. Drew Live. He said they interviewed him over several days and said something like "I wonder if I'll regret what they got out of me."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

Bender posted:

I don't question Drew's analysis or his qualifications at all. I just get uncomfortable when he starts diagnosing people in public, because then he takes on characteristics of Dr. Phil and other fake media doctors that he tries so hard to distinguish himself from.

It always bothers me when I hear him do it on Loveline too.

Yeah, but he's not Dr. Phil. For one he's almost always right and he bases his diagnoses on his experience instead of on creating a calculated media personality. Also he readily admits when he's wrong, like when he assumed Ted Kennedy was suffering from alcohol withdrawal since they said his brain scans were clean.

I think back to when Mary Carey called in years before Drew knew who she was, and he correctly diagnosed her after only a few minutes on the phone. I have no problem with people who are the real deal diagnosing people.

• Locked thread