Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I don't actually remember but i usually read those as "play with 5, switch to 3" like you said, or i just ignore the switch and play it with the 3 or whatever

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Urethane posted:

Quick question because I can't find an answer in the Faber piano books: What does this parentheses notation mean for the left hand?

My guess would be play the C with 5 as feels natural with 1 on G, then exchange 5 with 3 on the note while held down in prep for the next note. Is that the idea?

I think it's just 3 (or 5). You don't have to hold it, it's just an eight note.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Yeah, normally if you're switching fingers it's on a note you're holding down, to get your hand in a better position for the next shift. There's not really time for that here, as the note is only a quaver (8th note), and is let go of when you play the following G. I'd just take it as a suggestion that you can use 3 or 5 to play it, depending on what's most comfortable for you.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Or you can use both! There's no law against it

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I’m ashamed to admit I would probably use 4

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Feeling festive. What's a good book of Christmas music arrangements for piano, suitable for up to perhaps grade 5 or so?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Captain Apollo posted:

PianoForAll is extremely cheap.

PianoForAll is extremely good.

It gets you up and going on piano very quickly. It also gives you some easy ways to remember chords and songs and etc.

I can not recommend it more highly.

I think it’s like 39 bucks or something.

I was just looking into a piano class offered by my community college. $99 for eight zoom classes. Would PianoForAll be a better route to take? I am an absolute beginner (well I took lessons 30 odd years ago but don't remember much) Mostly just wanna mess around with beat making. I have a Casio ctx700, and MicroKorg that I goof around on.
As of last week I have just been learning off of this thing.
https://bestmusicstuff.com/collections/piano/products/ultimate-piano-reference-poster

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

It's been a while since I posted something, so here's a recent project. 2023 is the 150th anniversary of Rachmaninoff's birth and I've been working on his Piano Sonata #1, op. 28, an absolute unit of a piece. I recorded practice takes of the outer movements recently:

1st mvmt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLt3y96_IFA

3rd mvmt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tYkGf5g-Mc

The whole thing lasts ca. 38-40 minutes. Need to go back and record the second movement. The thing with Rachmaninoff is that learning the notes is only about 10% of the work.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Can someone help a beginner? I'm hoping to add piano/keyboards to my list of instruments I know, but can't really play. Goal is to be able to bang out some country tunes and have fun. Will something simple, like a Casio LK-S250 do me just fine, or is there benefit to getting something fully weighted, like a Roland FX-10?

Also happy to get alternatives to the above, they're just what are usually recommended.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

sporklift posted:

Pianoforall

I mean it’s so cheap you really should do both as you can afford them. Pianoforall will give you a huge boost though. Took me from Dead beginner to low intermediate in like a month

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Can someone help a beginner? I'm hoping to add piano/keyboards to my list of instruments I know, but can't really play. Goal is to be able to bang out some country tunes and have fun. Will something simple, like a Casio LK-S250 do me just fine, or is there benefit to getting something fully weighted, like a Roland FX-10?

Also happy to get alternatives to the above, they're just what are usually recommended.

Go to a music store and try them out. Maybe fully-weighted is overkill, or maybe you'll find you need it anyway. Beginner digital pianos will only have a handful of tones as compared to arranger keyboards, too. If piano is what you really want then get a digital piano, as you won't have to retrain yourself on fully-weighted keys if you decide to upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Is the Roland FP30X good as a beginner piano? Ideally I'd like something with MIDI out as well to combine with FL Studio since I also want to learn song creation along the way.