Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrabble Tournament
May 17, 2006
MY OLD-ASS AVATAR URL BROKE THE ADMIN PANEL, THANKS RADIUM

Corbet posted:

What exactly does learning the Major scales accomplish? I\'m going through this kid\'s lessons on YouTube and I am learning alot, but he hasn\'t really explained what exactly the scales result in. C Major was incredibly easy but I haven\'t learned the rest yet.

I\'ll probably need to go through his lessons 3-4 times before I remember it all.

The majority of music is built upon scales. Learning the fingerings of the scales makes learning the fingerings of songs natural and easy, and correct fingering is vital for playing highly technical pieces.

Scales are also the best way to familiarize yourself with the keys in advance. If you know the scales, you'll know all the notes you should play, for any key signature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrabble Tournament
May 17, 2006
MY OLD-ASS AVATAR URL BROKE THE ADMIN PANEL, THANKS RADIUM

Corbet posted:

I got to a local community college and I was looking at their programs and noticed they had piano classes. Would you guys recommend it? I may take one next semester, although it doesn't really do anything for my major I'm really serious about learning and I'd imagine classes would be the best.

Remember that they are group classes, not individual lessons. I've never taken one, but I'd imagine the teacher wouldn't be able to spend enough time on correcting individual problems, which will lead to bad habits. And after all, you might be done with their most advanced class in a year or two. A private teacher could teach you for as long as you like, would correct all your mistakes immediately, and would be much more flexible to you and your needs.

The classes would probably be a lot cheaper though :v: