Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent019
Jun 28, 2002
LOL, ONLY DUMB PEOPLE WORK AT MCDONALD'S
Get over yourself, douchebag.
Director: Russell Mulcahy
Written by: Paul W.S. Anderson
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0432021/
Starring: Milla Jovovich, Ali Larter, Oded Fehr, Ashanti, Mike Epps

This movie is about another movie that was based on a video game. Sadly I wont bore you with a long synopsis. This movie was one of the worst I have seen, if you want to know why read on.

The movie is the continuing tale of Project Alice. Alice is some super human genetically altered being that is not in any of the video games. The movie starts out very similiar to the first, but we find that it is all just an experiment to close Alice and get it right. So we find that Umbrella is looking for Alice still.

The next we find Alice's companions from the end of the second movie still driving around in a convoy, but sepparate from her. There is no reason for these people to be in the movie at all. There is no plot line involving these people, they are pretty much just there to get eaten by zombies which pretty much are non-exsistent in this movie as well. The zombies are still around, but apparently the formula for this one required them to be in the background and not pose any threat.

I don't want to go into too much more about the movie, but I will say why I didn't like it.

There was no plot in this movie. It was pretty much extinct. If there was a plot it was that Umbrella was trying to get Alice's blood to make the zombies as close to normal so the human survivors could live on the surface again. However the whole movie is Alice drives around a bit and the caravan with Clair Redfield is drving around looking for survivors. The caravan goal after Alice informas them is to head to Alaska where there is no infection despite what the beginning of the movie said is that the virus turned everyone undead. Las Vegas is only there because they need gas. Bit misleading from the previews where all they show is Las Vegas.

Lack of scary zombie types is my second gripe. They were there, but did little to nothing in order to progress the story. If there was any semblence of plot it was to make the zombies normal again which they didn't explain save for the fact they need Alice to do it.

My third is there is no character development. Paul W.S. Anderson probably figured you knew who the characters were so why even muddle it with getting you attached to them. When anyone dies you pretty much think "Well there goes another character".

This is for people who don't care. Don't look if you are going to see the movie.
MY forth gripe is that they gave super Alice Tele-kinetic abilities. I mean seriously are you loving kidding? The movie wasn't interesting enough without adding in some really lame and cheap tele-kinetic abilities that she doesn't use hardly except for twice in the movie to her advantage? This part really killed it because I enjoy zombie movies and this one madfe me shake my head. This has got to be the last Paul S.W. Anderson movie I will see ever because he is a horrible writer.

Lastly, the pacing was horrid. It moved in purts of jerky action here, not much here, a lot here, some here, and the end.

All in all RE:X pretty much felt like a 5 hours movie that was cut to fit an hour and fifteen minutes. Needless to say this movie was the worst of any game movie ever made. There are a few redeeming qualities and I use that term loosly, but there was a nice scene with the crows and some dogs. That's it. The rest of the movie was pointmess and not even viable as a mindless action flick.

Pros: Milla Jovavich partially nude
Cons: The Non-exsistent Plot, lack of character development, really cheap scare tactics, poor dialogue, and many more things.

Rating: A very generous 1/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

The review above is pretty much spot on.
Horrible plot that didnt give much background of what was happening and or why.
I could have swore they said this was the last Resident Evil, but whatever.

I scored it high because I'm a sucker for Milla and Ali.

Faderaven
Jan 21, 2003

Batman goes downtown
I went into this movie knowing it was going to be a stupid, mindless action flick with zombies...and maybe I would get to see Milla's tits.

1)Action - and lots of it. I guess it was kinda cool seeing Milla cut up zombies with her blades. Not much gore though so Im giving it a three.

2) Plot - Well I knew this was going to be one of the weakest points of this movie but WFT? The zombie plague has spread to other continents and completely decimated the US but not Alaska? And what is this TK poo poo? 1

3)Tits - no boobies...you get to see lots of skin but it's just a tease. 0

Lets see that adds up to what...4? That averages out to 1.something.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
Yeeeah, this is a bad movie. It just wasn't compelling, it didn't make me care, or pull me in to giving half a drat about anyone. Story? There wasn't much of a story. No big driving core concept, just lots of aimless flailing about. When the movie ended? I was one part happy, and one part dissapointed because it really did feel like there ought have been more.

Also? Please tell me that I'm not the only person that found the whole "HAY LET'S GO TO VEGAS!" thing really retarded?

But at least it had lots of mostly naked Milla Jovovich. That can make things pretty entertaining.

1 out of 5, I say.

antihero
Oct 11, 2004

I swear I just watched Alien vs. Predator with Zombies or something. Paul W.S. Anderson can kiss my rear end. Horrible pacing throughout the movie and half-rear end attempt to develop useless characters. I was really excited to see Joe Hursley (Accepted) and expected him to be some type of comic relief opposed to Mike Epps and ended up being disappointed. This movie wasn't even entertaining with my brain turned off. They are talking about doing another movie based on the "success of the 3rd sequel". If there is another movie, they better start all over with a new writer because there is a huge hole remaining after this piece of poo poo movie.

1/5

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

antihero posted:

I swear I just watched Alien vs. Predator with Zombies or something. Paul W.S. Anderson can kiss my rear end.

It's funny you mention that. I went to see this with my cousin, and at one point he leaned over to me and said, 'Did Paul Anderson do this movie?'. I almost died laughing.

This movie was pretty bad. The convoy was pointless and who brought all the loving kids?, and like others said, merely existed for zombie fodder (What little zombies there were. The inclusion of the super zombies was totally out of left field, with very little explanation or reason to be there, other than to kill a few people who spent too much time in the movie.

The movie was an hour and thirty minutes long. 45 minutes of it was people talking. twenty minutes was people walking around in the tense 'omg when is the zombie gonna jump someone HOLY poo poo LOUD NOISE oh it was just a rat', and the last 25 minutes was fighting.

edit: holy poo poo Paul Anderson DID do this? gently caress, that explains it.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
"Extinction" is a zombie movie in more than one way. It trudges along aimlessly, and it's completely brainless. I mean, a virus managed to dry up the rivers and lakes? What the gently caress? If this movie were set in, say, rural Arkansas and you wanted a desert motif that plot point MIGHT be necessary. But seeing as how the film was set in Nevada, BEING IN A DESERT WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN UNUSUAL, nor would it have required a magical loving virus. So not only is the idea laughably retarded, it isn't even needed. The combat is the usual bullet time ninja bullshit you've come to expect. And somehow it's all so boring and embarrassing that it's the closest I've ever come to walking out of movie.

Honestly, watch the opening cut scene of Resident Evil 1 for the Playstation. Imagine that caliber of film-making stretched over an hour. Do you really want to subject yourself to that?

1/5

Elderling
Feb 17, 2007

I tried to watch this last night, while I was stoned and bored. I couldn't make it past twenty minutes. I've given up on watching movies before, sometimes worse movies, but I think never with such a feeling of absolute disgust.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Among the many problems I had with this movie, these are a few:

1 - It relied on the typical "person gets infected and then tries to cover up his condition from his team-mates" plot device that surfaces in every zombie movie ever. And this one wasn't even trying to be original.

2 - For battle-hardened zombie-apocalypse survivors, the people in that convoy sure as hell acted like idiots. No one wore body armour, they seemed completely unprepared for every zombie that turned up, and they totally dropped the ball when it came to that shipping crate full of super-zombies in Vegas.

3 - Wow. Where did the telekinetic stuff come from? At best it was a really obvious plot contrivance (like when Alice randomly destroyed her motorcycle, giving her an excuse to meet up with the convoy), and at worst it was a pretty terrible Dragonball-Z-esque fight cliché (such as the "epic" battle with tentacle-guy).

4 - I'm really tired of movies that skip the resolution. I was kind of hoping for some closure at the end, but what I got was some heavy-handed loose ends to be resolved by sequels.

Also, this is more of a nitpick: how could this be the first time these people see zombie-birds, considering the big apocalypse happened 5 years ago and the birds have definitely been eating during that time?

Anyway, what everyone else here has said about the movie is true. Terrible pacing, terrible script, awful "loud-noise-that's-scary" style of directing, etc.

1/5

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
I only stayed in this movie to see if it got worse. I almost walked out. It is horrible. Unfortunately I don't even think Milla is good looking, which makes it even harder for me to take considering she cant do a loving action scene to save her life. She looks so uncoordinated it upsets me during the action. On the bright side, there really wasn't much action, so it didn't happen often. The downside to this is that the action, despite being pretty bad, is the best part. Many people have mentioned the stupid bullshit plot stuff but what the gently caress is with being able to turn her off? I don't remember much of the other movies was this poo poo even hinted at? If they had that kind of technology and poo poo, how the gently caress could they not find her immediately so that this movie never gets made?

1.5/5

It got an extra .5 for me not being totally pissed off when walking out; I got to eat popcorn.

StrayChild
Feb 20, 2004

Very bad movie. But seriously, if I had to watch this one or the second one again, I would pick this one.

2/5

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost
This is one of the bottom five worst movies I've ever seen. In terms of big budget flicks, it's definitely the worst.

Terrible clichés, plot holes, and annoying poo poo (zombiesque and otherwise):
  • Man gets infected, hides it from everyone, eventually turns (every zombie movie, ever, as mentioned).
  • Man gets infected, goes out in a blaze of glory with a final cigarette break. :rolleyes: (not sure which movie he ripped off in this one, possibly Shaun of the Dead or some other zombie movie to which SOTD made an homage)
  • Zombies "trained" with objects from their past lives (Day of the Dead).
  • Helicopter escape (original Dawn of the Dead).
  • Zombie breaks chains in a fit of anger. Zombie eats scientists. (ripoff of Return of the Living Dead III)
  • Mad scientist overload; mad scientist eventually experiments upon himself (seems like something from a comic book). Mutated mad scientist looks suspiciously like Grant Grant from Slither.
  • Milla has perfect makeup in every scene.
  • <Random Place> is free of infection!
  • Super-Zombies (looked and acted exactly like the Super-Vampires from Blade II).
  • The barren surface kinda looked like a ripoff of Tank Girl.
  • Okay, I get it, the complex is deep underground. Stop the annoying blue-line-architecture cut-scenes.
  • Flickering lights and hanging wires in the complex at the end: It looked like a StarCraft level with the dead bodies and broken equipment doodads strewn all over the place.
  • As mentioned, the final fight scene was a horrible Dragonball Z ripoff.
  • The ending of the "climactic" fight scene was so freaking obvious it was insulting.

1/5

The Scarlet Hot Dog
Jan 18, 2005

Trust me, everything will be fine.
This movie felt like a hodge podge of movie elements from movies that did it properly, among them:

Mad max, the birds, and that other movie which had a secret base installed under a standard looking house in the middle of the desert. Its overflowing with cliche as well. The whole pitch of it taking place in Vegas was completely untrue, there was no character development whatsoever, and was completely lacking any substance. Some stuff is never explained too, leaving you scratching your head at the end of the movie. This movie is as underwhelming as it gets.

PS: wtf for the crate scene, wtf

1/5

hope you are ok
Apr 16, 2005

I feel kind of bad for partially enjoying this movie, because it was awful and I can't think of many redeeming factors, just that it wasn't boring to me. It was acceptable. There was enough action and suspense to make it entertaining and it had plenty of stupid poo poo to make fun of the rest of the time.

Nothing I'd ever want to watch again but nothing I regret seeing.

2.5/5

Padoan
Oct 25, 2007
I will haunt your dreams.
When I saw the first movie i though to my self "well not bad, i liked it", unfortunately came the second film and I said "gently caress this, i dont belive they screwd up resident, there is no way they do the 3th film......

I was wrong! They did it and even give alice super powers, cmom?!
Another thing that bites me is what possibily happened to the guys who scaped with the helicopter? And why there are so much Alice clones? And why they didnt finished all in this movie? Is it possible to have another RESIDENT EVIL?

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Hah, when the tentacle monster was killed at the end of the movie I just sat there glaring at the screen waiting for it to come back some how. I says to myself, "No way such an obvious kill will actually be permanent!"

I am stupid, apparently. (For seeing the movie, mostly)

But, I did enjoy the zombie slaying with the blades, and the birds. 2/5 for me.

Wait, the title of the movie made it seem that there was going to be some kind of closure. As it was only grass experienced extinction, not humans or zombies. -2 points for false advertising.
0/5

F U Paul Anderson.

sam.freak
Nov 21, 2004

That's it baby just a bit to the left. Perfect. Now show us your tits.
It's cold in Alaska! That's gotta stop them Zombies.

The bit with the Zombie training. I couldn't take it seriously since Shaun of the Dead pretty much ruined that concept to be used in any serious movie.

Infected guy hides it. First of all, it's a cliché, it's been used in the first movie as well, and GODDAMNIT YOU'VE BEEN FIGHTING ZOMBIES FOR 5 YEARS, you'd think these people have learned to look out for these things.

Flocks of birds. The scene where all the birds start to attack the schoolbus actually made me laugh out loud. To me it looked like someone stood offscreen and shot a birdcannon at the windscreen. It looked ridiculous. Also, you'd think there would be more wildlife out and about.

Weak fence. For a secret high tech underground bunker installation their overground part sure is shabby, featuring a cheapass wire fence that in any other movie would have been simply overrun by the undead hordes.

Undead. "They don't require sustenance", they just want flesh. Ooookay, uh that sure must be some magical virus there. Kills everything, but keeps it alive. You'd think there'd be undead grass as well then.

Terrible movie, but entertaining in it's shittyness. 1.5/5

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
This movie had so many pointless jump 'scares' that most of the audience was groaning aloud for the last few.

First movie in quite a while I regret paying money to see.

1.5/5

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Utter poo poo.

I liked the first one, I didn't mind the second, but that was really, really poo poo. Every few minutes a new plot-hole, bit of crappy dialogue or bit of lovely cgi. Only saving grace would have been teaser-shots of Milla nude, but even they seemed tacked on. I dread to think how poo poo the next film will be.

0.5/5 and thats generous.

demonlicious
Jul 25, 2007
sat through the entire film, but didn't enjoy it like the earlier ones

acting in general was uninspiring, and couldn't keep me intrested

the heroine having powers was just bull

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I thought this movie was great for what it tried to be: An action movie with zombies and Mila kicking rear end.

Interesting concept with the zombie ravens, but I didn't think they lived in Nevada. I was also initially confused by the super-zombies (wasn't really clear why they could run and climb until I realized Isaacs had modified them) but they were fun. I thought Mila looked alot better in this movie compared to the other two as well. Pretty much everything in this movie was geared towards being fodder for Jovovich, but really, is that a bad thing?

Some more backstory would have been nice (how do shambling zombies manage to take over North America save Alaska?) but overall it was great.

Best movie of the series 4/5

Vasler fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 13, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 19, 2016