Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

Thornes posted:

Also, I think I Voted For Kodos is dead

They are :( ASOB is RIP too, semi-reformed as BTMI.

And I swear Baker Act played here (West Palm Beach) before. Maybe with Neptune 66 a while back? I don't remember...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sno cones are yummy
Apr 13, 2007
Now put your sippy cups down, what would you do?
You'd take, take a welfare state...

I thought "Dopeman" by Less Than Jake was a cute little song.

Also I thought it was funny when Reel Big Fish put out this song called "Sell Out" in which they really were selling out.

Anyway, this whole genre reeks of adolescent "OMG WE ARE SO TOTALLY RANDOM" wanksterism.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

And I swear Baker Act played here (West Palm Beach) before. Maybe with Neptune 66 a while back? I don't remember...

Where in West Palm, and when? Some of the guys in the band kept doing stuff after I left, but I don't believe they did any organized touring after 1999 or so.

There is another band called Baker Act, possibly even another Florida band, but as far as I know they don't play ska or ska-punk.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

I never got into SGR really. Partially because when I first started seeing them, they'd be playing church shows with No Regrets that for some reason all the sudden started pulling awesome bands like the Scofflaws, Bluebeats, Ruder Than You, but half of the crowd would just sit outside for those bands and then act like SGR was the high point of ska.

sno cones are yummy posted:

Anyway, this whole genre reeks of adolescent "OMG WE ARE SO TOTALLY RANDOM" wanksterism.

That element is really only present in third wave ska. Traditional ska basically had similar lyrical contents to reggae, and 2-Tone dealt a lot with social injustice, racial unity, and things like that.

Anyone like Fishbone? I really feel like as far as third wave stuff goes, they were way ahead of their time, considering they started in what, the mid 80s?

Does anyone know if Bomb Town or Hub City Stompers are still around? They were both from central Jersey, and both had an awesome 2-tone/oi sound.

Wizard Mannequin fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 3, 2007

maydae
Feb 23, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT SELLING MY DIGNITY TWICE FOR $51 TOTAL
Do ska fans like Folly ?

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Thornes posted:

Also, I think I Voted For Kodos is dead

What? :(

The first time I ever saw them was at The Balcony at The Trocadero Theater. It was late January, the Eagles were playing the Packers in the Playoffs that year so I think it was 2003. I remember running from the band to the TV in the other half of the room to see the game. Also, weren't they from Michigan or Wisconsin? It's so weird that they played a show in Philly.

It's really sad to hear they broke up because I always loved them because their trombone player was their lead singer. Guy must of had lungs of a marathon runner. Also, I play trombone, :c00lbert: , so I know how hard that really is. I bought a sticker that night too, it's still on my TI-83 graphing calculator to this day. I still answer questions about it in class.

The Littlest Hobo
Dec 26, 2004

Everyone should check out Bomb The Music Industry!. They are some of the best ska-punk I have heard in a long time. Also they distribute their music for free on their website. Definitely worth listening to the albums Goodbye Cool World and Album Minus The Band

Habermann
Nov 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Ska is probably my favorite genre at the moment. It fluctuates from time to time, by it's usually one of my major genres. I've never decked out all rude boy style for a show or anything, but I consider myself to be somewhat devoted to the genre. I mean, my range of bands covers all three major waves and most of the major sub-genres, and I took up the bass guitar pretty much for the sole purpose of playing ska and jazz. So, really, what I'm trying to get at is, here's a list of what ska I listen to, in alphabetical order no less!

- The Aquabats, The Arrogant Sons of Bitches
- Bad Manners, Benny Fabulous (Local band who my friend plays sax for), Big D & The Kids Table, Buck-O-Nine
- Catch 22, Common Rider
- The Ethiopians
- Fishbone, The Forces of Evil
- Hepcat
- Jeffries Fan Club
- Kemuri
- Less Than Jake
- Mad Caddies, Madness, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, MU330, Mustard Plug
- Ore Ska Band
- The Pietasters, The Pilfers, Planet Smashers
- Reel Big Fish
- Skankin' Pickle, Ska-P
- The Skatalites, The Specials, Spider Nick & The Mad Dogs, Streetlight Manifesto, Sublime, Suburban Legends, The Supervillains
- The Toasters, Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra, Toots and the Maytals
- The Vagabonds
- Voodoo Glow Skulls
- Westbound Train
- The Witches
- Yum!Yum!ORANGE

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Habermann fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 4, 2007

BlandMan123
Nov 29, 2004
I guess the holidays are over for them.
I have a very specific recommendation I'm looking for. I'm looking for ska/ska-punk bands that are really, really uptempo, with really, really rapidly executed upstrokes. I love Catch-22's first two albums, and everything Streetlight Manifesto has done. However, those are really the only examples I can find of this, with the *possible* exception of Reel Big Fish's early material. Can you guys recommend to me some other bands that do this?

I mean, listen to the intro to Hey Sergio. That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Is there even that much else out there, or is that fashion of ska-guitar playing kind of exclusive to Tomas' stuff?

BlandMan123 fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 3, 2007

Habermann
Nov 3, 2007

by Lowtax

BrandNewHero posted:

I have a very specific recommendation I'm looking for. I'm looking for ska/ska-punk bands that are really, really uptempo, with really, really rapidly executed upstrokes. I love Catch-22's first two albums, and everything Streetlight Manifesto has done. However, those are really the only examples I can find of this, with the *possible* exception of Reel Big Fish's early material. Can you guys recommend to me some other bands that do this?

I mean, listen to the intro to Hey Sergio. That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Is there even that much else out there, or is that fashion of ska-guitar playing kind of exclusive to Tomas' stuff?
Actually, the name of the song is "Dear Sergio", for both versions of the Keasbey Nights album (The original Catch 22 and the Streetlight Manifesto rehash).

And as far as bands with a sound similar to Streetlight Manifesto, The Vagabonds play at about the same tempo and use similar guitar techniques (at least from what I've heard of them). Try sampling the tracks "Prince of Thieves" and "You're My Best Friend", and tell me if that's what you're looking for.

Habermann fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 3, 2007

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

I NEED AVATARS. AVATARS OF HARDHAT SPIDER-MAN!

DHCJohn posted:

Actually, the name of the song is "Dear Sergio", for both versions of the Keasbey Nights album (The original Catch 22 and the Streetlight Manifesto rehash).

Just adding that between those two, there's a Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution version too, which is well worth a listen.

Habermann
Nov 3, 2007

by Lowtax

demolition rickshaw posted:

Just adding that between those two, there's a Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution version too, which is well worth a listen.
Oh, I had absolutely forgotten about that version. Thanks for the reminder.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Where in West Palm, and when? Some of the guys in the band kept doing stuff after I left, but I don't believe they did any organized touring after 1999 or so.

There is another band called Baker Act, possibly even another Florida band, but as far as I know they don't play ska or ska-punk.

It was when I was about 8th grade. I'd say 98-99. If Neptune 66 or Napkin don't ring a bell, I could be wrong. As for venue, Spankys, maybe?

sno cones are yummy posted:

Now put your sippy cups down, what would you do?
You'd take, take a welfare state...

I thought "Dopeman" by Less Than Jake was a cute little song.

Also I thought it was funny when Reel Big Fish put out this song called "Sell Out" in which they really were selling out.

Post of the year.

I'm waiting for Action League Now! to actually record something. Dual lead singers, one female. I know of no other place to hear their music than myspace, so sorry about that. Here's the link anyway http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=58824819

DHCJohn posted:

- Ore Ska Band

:keke:

This is Common Rider were the only two I hadn't heard of. I like Common Rider, so thanks for that. I'm not sure if I like ORE though. I'm going to tackle the OP to check out the bands I haven't heard of.

Mysterious Aftertaste fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 4, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

It was when I was about 8th grade. I'd say 98-99. If Neptune 66 or Napkin don't ring a bell, I could be wrong. As for venue, Spankys, maybe?

Definitely not in '98, since I left the band late that year, and I know we didn't make it down there. None of those names sound familiar either, and I don't think they made it out of Gainesville for many gigs in '99.

akee
Jun 30, 2007

I can hear you writing...
I have been listening to sublime and reel big fish for awhile but didn't know they were ska(actualy never heard of ska until recently), and I like them a lot. So I was just wondering what other bands I should look into that are similar.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

quote:

I'm waiting for Action League Now! to actually record something. Dual lead singers, one female. I know of no other place to hear their music than myspace, so sorry about that. Here's the link anyway

Oh god, female ska singers. They make me weak in the knees :3:

I used to go to see Too Short Notice all the time and get all mushy when she'd start singing.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

I'm waiting for Action League Now! to actually record something. Dual lead singers, one female. I know of no other place to hear their music than myspace, so sorry about that. Here's the link anyway http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=58824819

They sound pretty drat good. Plus I love the reference.

BlandMan123
Nov 29, 2004

DHCJohn posted:

And as far as bands with a sound similar to Streetlight Manifesto, The Vagabonds play at about the same tempo and use similar guitar techniques (at least from what I've heard of them). Try sampling the tracks "Prince of Thieves" and "You're My Best Friend", and tell me if that's what you're looking for.

gently caress it is Dear Sergio, isn't it? My bad. I always thought it was cool that every band Tomas has been in since C-22 has recorded that song.

Those two songs aren't on The Vagabonds MySpace, but a bunch of others are, and gently caress, they really kick some rear end. Thanks for the tip, I'll try and track down an album of theirs.

Habermann
Nov 3, 2007

by Lowtax

BrandNewHero posted:

gently caress it is Dear Sergio, isn't it? My bad. I always thought it was cool that every band Tomas has been in since C-22 has recorded that song.

Those two songs aren't on The Vagabonds MySpace, but a bunch of others are, and gently caress, they really kick some rear end. Thanks for the tip, I'll try and track down an album of theirs.

Glad I could help.

lessthankyle posted:

Oh god, female ska singers. They make me weak in the knees

I take it you listen to Save Ferris and the old stuff by Gwen Stefani while she was in No Doubt, then? If you want to hear more female vocalists in ska, and you can tolerate the lyrics being in a foreign language, I can recommend Ore No Ska Band (All female ska band) and Yum!Yum!ORANGE (Lead singer and backup singer are female).

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

DHCJohn posted:

- Ore Ska Band
Love that Japanese ska. It's all so drat upbeat and happy. Ore Ska Band really knows how to put on a good show too. Also from Japan, Kemuri and Potshot are great; they fit in perfectly with all the Less Than Jake/Slapstick/Reel Big Fish sort of third wave.

When I saw Leftover Crack recently, the singer gave the crowd the "we've got 5 minutes left, so we're going to 'leave' and come back, stick around" and they walked off the stage. A few seconds after, I saw someone bolting for the back of the room. When they got back out, the guitar player started screaming at the crowd that someone had stolen his distortion pedal, and they wouldn't play until they got it back and beat the poo poo out of the guy who took it. It never returned, so they just played Crack Rock Steady and called it a night. Going with their "no private property" attitude displayed all night, I thought it was hilarious. Especially since he said it was the second or third time it had happened that tour.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

lessthankyle posted:

Oh god, female ska singers. They make me weak in the knees :3:

I used to go to see Too Short Notice all the time and get all mushy when she'd start singing.

There are two Ska Down Her Way compilation albums of girl-fronted ska bands. You must get them!
http://www.amazon.com/Ska-Down-Her-Way-Women/dp/B000000DSJ/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-5728920-0607158?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1194187920&sr=8-1 and http://www.amazon.com/Ska-Down-Her-Way-Women/dp/B00000AFQ4/ref=pd_sim_m_shvl_title_1/104-5728920-0607158

You'll also fall in love with the aforementioned Usuals, one of my favorite ska bands. Get both of their albums, trust me on this!
http://www.noidearecords.com/bands/usuals.php

ffuok
Apr 7, 2007

Oh man I'm hungry.

lessthankyle posted:

Releases
If we're gonna be posting album releases as old as Reel Big Fish's, you might as well put it on there that Mustard Plug released a ska-ish album in September, "In Black and White".

edit: quote added for clarification

ffuok fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 4, 2007

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
The first time I ever heard Mephiskapheles was magical. I was a summer camp counselor, and we were on a field trip to some lovely amusement park across from a water park. I had ditched the little monsters I was in charge of and jumped on the only empty open ride around, one of these beasts:

The operator put on "Saba Saba" and started the ride. As the thing spun up, the chorus of the song started to go. It was amazing. I was flailing around rocking out. The ride lasted the entire song, which is a good 7 minutes. God bless you random drunken carnie worker.

I'm putting on my old ska/oi moon records comp in tribute to this thread.

I also got to shoot the pilfers reunion show at the knitting factory a year or two back. That was one hell of a show. Was supposed to be used in a documentary on them and ska, but it fell apart. Such a shame.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 4, 2007

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

DHCJohn posted:

Yum!Yum!ORANGE (Lead singer and backup singer are female).

Oh man, I can't believe I left them off the list too. Listening to them is even better when you know the lyrics and hear the ways she says all the english words, like pajamas (paj-a-mah-s).

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Judas Chongo posted:

I have "Maximum Perversion" and I have to say its a pretty good album, but it kinda feels like its missing something.
It is not half the album that God Bless Satan is.

I do, however, own six copies of Maximum Perversion.

TGKB
Jan 29, 2003

Anyway, we delivered the bomb.
Speaking of Streetlight Manifesto they have a new music video for a track off the their next album, "Somewhere In Between", called "We Will Fall Together". It's animated and is kind of like Pirates of The Caribbean, for whatever thats worth.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The album I always come back to is General Rudie's Take Your Place. Just a great, great album and it's a shame that they broke up soon after.

Aside from that and catching up on older releases from The Busters (Germany's version of The Toasters), that's been about it in recent months. Aside from Streetlight there hasn't really been any other major releases lately. I hope that things pick up soon. Supposedly there's a new NY Ska-Jazz Ensemble album coming out very soon, which should be awesome as all NYSJE albums are.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
I might go see Streetlight Manifesto on their Somewhere in the Between tour on November 14th at the Chameleon Club in Lancaster. Depends, if I can't catch that one, I'm screwed because the tour disappears from where I am. On a lighter note, does anyone know of any good ska bands in Pennsylvania? The only thing people play around here is Hardcore and some Techno-Pop.

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy
whelp... I suppose its time to come clean NMD. I have a confession to make.

I... I am incapable of skanking. I have gone to a good share of ska shows in my day, and I have found myself an avid fan of a few of the bands on the list above. When I find myself in an appropriate situation for one to begin skanking, I find myself thrashing about and kicking wildly. I have no idea why. I have rhythm, I enjoy the music, but for some god drat reason I cannot skank.

I'm sorry. I am unfit to have a black and white checkerboard avatar.

nongdongfongbong
Jul 30, 2006
"Nongnongdongfongbong" is one character too long. : (
Awesome, a ska thread. I'm a little surprised Zox (http://www.myspace.com/zox) hasn't been mentioned yet. They have made quite a name for themselves by being on a Warped Tour or two and while I realise their newer songs aren't very ska-ish, their ska and reggae influences are very evident in some of their older ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhUhlS4UNAg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t9FEhhqiGw

Classic ska riff + wicked bass lines + a violin? Yes, please.

Also, I can see myself listening to and loving The Specials' Little Bitch even when I'm a smelly old fart.

rocketpotato
May 6, 2005

Ah Ska, how I love thee. I had the pleasure of seeing The Beat and Bad Manners play together about 4 years ago. I also saw Catch 22 play in a tiny venue, there must have been a maximum of 100 people there and everyone was bouncing off the walls, they put on a good show.

No love for Capdown? Granted their newer stuff is a lot different than their old stuff but its still worth a listen. Ska Wars however, still remains one of my favourite Ska songs ever. But they've split up and are playing their last ever show on the 9th November.

Also on a local band note everybody and their dog should listen to Random Hand, their album is pretty good and they put on a hell of a gig. Freefall Felix are good too, though they have a more poppy sound reminiscent of Rx Bandits most recent album, still that's not a bad thing.

Here in the UK there was a fairly large scene about 3-4 years ago but it seems to have all but gone now. Shame.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

There is something distinctly weird about being in some random bar in Allston and seeing Dave and Sean from Big D and the Kids Table walk in. I was sitting there with a buddy just hanging out when he's like. "no. no. NO WAY! Look behind you!" and sure enough I see Dave and Sean and a bunch of random people drinking and having a good time. We didn't talk to him (why bother him with his friends?) but we flashed him a thumbs up on the way out.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

JesusDoesVegas posted:

whelp... I suppose its time to come clean NMD. I have a confession to make.

I... I am incapable of skanking. I have gone to a good share of ska shows in my day, and I have found myself an avid fan of a few of the bands on the list above. When I find myself in an appropriate situation for one to begin skanking, I find myself thrashing about and kicking wildly. I have no idea why. I have rhythm, I enjoy the music, but for some god drat reason I cannot skank.

I'm sorry. I am unfit to have a black and white checkerboard avatar.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+skank&search=Search :haw:

But seriously, I would just keep trying. At most shows, no one cares if can skank well or not, just don't go in those one-man pits. Also, I would be lying if I said I never skanked when I'm home alone and blasting my music. So that's as good a place as any to practice. It it helps, I kind of picture it as pulling back with one shoulder while kicking out with the opposite leg (like right shoulder, kick with left).

Or, you could go the real old school route:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAL1VTfffOo

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

lessthankyle posted:

Or, you could go the real old school route:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAL1VTfffOo

Man, I would love to be around Kingston circa 1962-1967. So many crucial tunes coming out then.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Has anyone been to the Streetlight shows yet? Rumor has it there's an acoustic part of the show.

I'm going to the Orlando show, so I don't know what will make it this far south, if it even exists.

BlandMan123
Nov 29, 2004
Acoustic would be sweet.

A bit off topic, does anyone know what happened to Jeff Davidson after he quit Catch-22? I dug the stuff he did w/ them and was sad to never hear from him again. I heard he played drums in a reggae band or something, but did he ever sing again?

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Has anyone been to the Streetlight shows yet? Rumor has it there's an acoustic part of the show.

I'm going to the Orlando show, so I don't know what will make it this far south, if it even exists.

I have a friend who goes to every show they have in NC and talks incessantly about them, but he's never said anything about an acoustic bit. But he says they put on an amazing live act.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

BrandNewHero posted:

A bit off topic, does anyone know what happened to Jeff Davidson after he quit Catch-22? I dug the stuff he did w/ them and was sad to never hear from him again. I heard he played drums in a reggae band or something, but did he ever sing again?

He did gang vocals for Streetlight and the Acoustic Bandits. That's technically singing, right? :v:

Skavoovee
Oct 2, 2006

by SA Support Robot
Yeah, Streetlight has done some acoustic stuff. No videos yet, but people have said that in KY they played It's a Wonderful Life, They Provide... and Here's To Life acoustically. Also in Cleveland they only did the first two.

Also, check out the new merch:

This shirt looks so loving awesome, I can't wait to get one.

Edit: lol, awesome avatar interpunct!!

EDIT2: Also Mysterious Aftertaste!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Okay, I haven't gotten around to writing reviews yet, but there's too much to comment on:

The Hub City Stompers are still around. I saw part of their set at Warped Tour in NJ, not too bad. I don't really know Bomb Town, but I seem to recall hearing they broke up.

I tried listening to Folly's last album. I'll give pretty much any band that incorporates horns a far listen. The album was just a little too hardcore for my tastes. The furthest towards hardcore I'm willing to venture seems to be the Flaming Tsunamis.

Yum! Yum! Orange/Japanese bands - God I love Yum!, but they're a guilty pleasure. I'll sing/mumble along to Sunny Sunday at the top of my lungs in a ridiculous falsetto, but they sound just so sugary sweet, that it's embarrassing. I love the upbeatness of Japanese bands, but I can only handle so much. The only Japanese band I've heard that was harder sounding was Miami Bazooka Head, but I lost their stuff in a hd crash :(

Female singers: I wish I had gotten to see Too Short Notice. But everyone should check out Stalking Roxy. They only put out one real album, on Jump Start, but it's great. Generally uptempo, but not very poppy. I'm struggling to find a comparison, but it's really loving good.

NYSJE: I liked their first 4 albums or so, but haven't listened to them much lately. How many albums have they had since?

PA ska: The best Philly area ska/punk band is Last Martyrs of A Lost Cause. I think some band that just played a phillyska show was from the poconos, but I don't know. I went to school at Penn State, and we got a decent amount of ska shows coming into town, but after my sophomore year, there weren't really any local bands.

Skanking: Early on, I accepted that everyone looks like idiots doing it. Just try to mimic everyone else and have fun. Until you get too old, and you have trouble doing it for more than 3 songs a night. Also, NEVER try to skank to the entirety of LAX in 90 degree heat on the Warped Tour. Took me an hour to recover. Somewhat unrelated, but they skank differently in France. I was there for an internship, and managed to go to a couple of shows, and felt like the odd man out. Their skanking is more like running in place. It works surprisingly well when you're hemmed in on all sides but still want to dance.

Freefall Felix: The EP they put out this year is fantastic, especially that first song. But I wouldn't say they sound much like the new Rx Bandits, unless maybe you think the last Bandits album was Progress or maybe The Resignation.

Streetlight: I'm going on Friday (and Sunday if I don't have to leave for a business trip), and buying the poo poo out of the album and that shirt, that is amazing.

Big D and Boston: I have something to copy out of a journal/suppossed to be blog about this. But it's on my work computer, so hopefully I can post that tomorrow with some album reviews.