Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'll definitely come out and see you guys this fall then

I would've in March but I was out of town

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Now is a good time to mention Westbound Train's new album was just released last week and everyone needs to go give it a listen.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Quest For Glory II posted:

Now is a good time to mention Westbound Train's new album was just released last week and everyone needs to go give it a listen.

How does it compare to their other work?

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Mike_V posted:

Pretty much what he said....I must know.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mike_V posted:

I don't know how I feel about it yet. It has WAY more soul and motown influence than any of their past albums. The amount of songs that rise above 90bpm is very small. It's incredibly laid back.

Production wise it's about on par with Transitions. It might be a little softer. The songwriting is good but unlike Transitions I'm going to need some of these songs to grow on me because they're not resonating yet.

Wizard Mannequin
Oct 20, 2004

I saw Westbound Train for the first time last week, somehow, in Philly. I'm not sure how I've always managed to miss them, but they put on a great show, despite how weird the World Cafe upstairs is.
I liked the new songs they played a lot, but I really don't know the band all that well.

Saidin42
Jan 24, 2009
The new WBT album feels more soulful/reggae and less ska overall. The first half of the album left me wanting more but the second half seemed closer to usual WBT caliber. I thoroughly enjoy "the Passage" and "If Only". I don't know why they redid "Salvation". I love the song but I don't think they changed this version enough to warrant a reissue. I feel they did a much better job with this for "When I Die". I would still recommend listening to this album though.

Intelligo
Mar 19, 2004
Cow
Just noticed this thread which coincides nicely with my reborn love of ska after RBF visited my school last week. Amazing show as usual. Unfortunately, they were merely opening for GirlTalk (who is terrible live).

Ska is truly dying when bands open for DJs.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Bullshit it's dying

We wouldn't have thriving local scenes if it was truly dying

There's just even less mainstream acceptance than there has been and that's not necessarily a bad thing!

Intelligo
Mar 19, 2004
Cow
I just don't like the attitude that places the likes of T.Pain and Lil Soandso at the same degree of ability as, say, Catch 22 or the Bosstones. I like my trumpets non-sampled thank you very much.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I didn't realize anybody was comparing artists from completely different genres

I mean they're good at what they do, just like Streetlight and RBF are good at what they do

Whatever, man

Different strokes for different folks

EDIT speaking of local bands I heard one of the new 4point0 songs this weekend. Got a really strong Mustard Plug circa-Evildoers vibe off of it, and if the rest of the album is that good it'll be awesome

When it comes out I'll probably throw a few songs up if they don't so that goons can hear them

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 12, 2009

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Intelligo posted:

I just don't like the attitude that places the likes of T.Pain and Lil Soandso at the same degree of ability as, say, Catch 22 or the Bosstones. I like my trumpets non-sampled thank you very much.

You've got to be loving kidding me.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Here is 25 minutes of a Choking Victim show that for some reason I have never seen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02pAYlMbwNo

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Speaking of Choking Victim, what are some good songs by them? Leftover Crack too for that matter. I want to give them a shot but some of the songs I've heard sound too much like death metal with the growling and rumbling and poo poo.

I'm just not into that kind of thing.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Thornes posted:

Those are two bands you probably don't wanna listen to then. However Crackrock Steady by Choking Victim is one of the best songs ever.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I don't listen to them because I find the worldview they espouse to be ignorant and immature and utterly retarded!

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Thornes posted:

Speaking of Choking Victim, what are some good songs by them? Leftover Crack too for that matter. I want to give them a shot but some of the songs I've heard sound too much like death metal with the growling and rumbling and poo poo.

500 Channels, Five Finger Discount and Born to Die are my favorites. And of course Crack Rock Steady is the poo poo.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

I personally like Suicide by Choking Victim. But I like that whole album so.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Semi-funny story about that song, I used to do a ska radio show when I was in college and I once got a request from somebody for Choking Victim. It was a woman requesting it for her boyfriend who was in prison, she said they were listening and loved Choking Victim. I always played 2 songs from a band back to back, and there were only 2 songs that were FCC friendly (kinda), and one of them was Suicide. After I played it I realized maybe that wasn't the best song to play for some dude in prison.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Anybody else going to the Three Floors of Ska show at the Knitting Factory on the 29th?

Bands are: Mustard Plug, Eastern Standard Time, Void Union, We Are the Union, Royal City Riot, Hub City Stompers, King Django, Brunt of It, The Heavy Beat, Steady Sound System

Very pumped for WATU

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
I'd really like to. There's a Sunday May 31st show on LI I want to see as well, it's The FAD's reunion show with BTMI!, so it's gonna be a great time. I'm in the middle of a poo poo-storm living situation, so I'll probably have to choose one or the other.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

BTMI on Long Island? Where and how much, I want to go :(

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Got to see Stuck Lucky today. That was pretty great

Also managed to snag the line-up for this summer's shows and 90% of them I want to go to

Highlights include Murphy's Kids (Woo-hoo!) and Fatter Than Albert with A Billion Ernies

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Obama Yo Mama posted:

BTMI on Long Island? Where and how much, I want to go :(

http://music.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=music.showDetails&friendid=1229716&Band_Show_ID=38545562

That's the show info, it's in West Babylon, NY. I'm probably going to try to take a train out there for it, it should be an awesome show.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
oh my god the new big d songs are the clowniest loving things i've ever heard in my entire life.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Sugar Blaster posted:

oh my god the new big d songs are the clowniest loving things i've ever heard in my entire life.

Holy poo poo these suck so bad, what were they thinking?

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Sugar Blaster posted:

clowniest loving things

This is seriously the exact same words that come to my mind upon listening.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
http://www.punknews.org/article/33597

The English Beat, Reel Big Fish, and The Supervillains. This is going to be an interesting tour.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

This is almost a month old now but I haven't seen it mentioned. It's some pretty good news: http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=7010097&blogId=485150483

I really need to track down a cop of Others! Others!. As for the split, knowing Jeff, he means July 2010

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Miscellaneous_T posted:

This is seriously the exact same words that come to my mind upon listening.

For reals? Oh man that doesn't bode well. I loving love Big D and I really don't want to see them go to poo poo. Where are you finding these new songs?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Obama Yo Mama posted:

This is almost a month old now but I haven't seen it mentioned. It's some pretty good news: http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=7010097&blogId=485150483

I really need to track down a cop of Others! Others!. As for the split, knowing Jeff, he means July 2010

It says it's on Quote Unquote which means it's not out yet

Edit I lied it is

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 19, 2009

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

drunk asian neighbor posted:

For reals? Oh man that doesn't bode well. I loving love Big D and I really don't want to see them go to poo poo. Where are you finding these new songs?

On their myspace. You might not want to go through with it.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I actually think Doped Up Dollies and Fluent In Stroll would be good if it weren't for all the stupid poo poo in the background. It's so stupid though it makes the songs teeter on the edge of unlistenable. Describing the Sky is an alright song, though.

I really like Big D though so my view may be skewed. I know they aren't the most popular band around here.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Whoa jeez you guys weren't kidding. While it's not terrible music, it's definitely not what I expected to hear from Big D. Doped Up Dollies sounds like an MIA song for pete's sake.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I don't understand why Big D in the past few years has been running away from the sound that has defined them. Strictly Rude was retarded, Beijing to Boston at least felt more like Gipsy Hill but was just an EP, and now this weird as poo poo pop music.

I still think How it Goes is their best album even though that will make many people very angry. They need to just get back to that. At least with that album they were tossing every idea they had into the mix, instead of segregating their bad ideas into separate CDs. It was 70 minutes of music, and at least 30-35 minutes of it was good. 0 minutes of this new album sound good so far.

The unfortunate thing is that they actually fixed the mix with this new stuff. They need to remaster Strictly Rude with this EQ. You can't even hear the saxophone in that album.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I didn't think Strictly Rude was a bad album, just wasn't what I expected them to make. There were only like 3 or 4 songs on that album that I didn't like.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

I still think How it Goes is their best album even though that will make many people very angry. They need to just get back to that. At least with that album they were tossing every idea they had into the mix, instead of segregating their bad ideas into separate CDs. It was 70 minutes of music, and at least 30-35 minutes of it was good. 0 minutes of this new album sound good so far.

Agreed completely

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
RX bandits first half of the tour is up.
July 8 - House of Blues - Anaheim, CA
July 9 - SOMA - San Diego, CA
July 10- Marquee - Tempe, AZ
July 11 -Club Congress - Tucson, AZ
July 12 -Club Congress - Tucson, AZ
July 14 -House Of Blues - Dallas, TX
July 15- Emo's - Austin, TX
July 16- The White Rabbit - San Antonio, TX

July 17- Meridian - Houston, TX
July 18- House of Blues - New Orleans, LA
July 20- Club Firestone - Orlando, FL
July 22- Culture Room - Ft Lauderdale, FL
July 23- Firebird - Jacksonville, FL
July 24 - Jannus Landing - St Petersburgh, FL
July 25 - Masquerade - Atlanta, GA
July 26 - Cat's Cradle - Carrboro, NC
July 28- Recher Theatre - Towson, MD
July 29- Theatre of the Living Arts - Philly,PA
July 30 - Irving Plaza - New York, NY
July 31- Bowery Ballroom - New York, NY

No Midwest stops... Hopefully that's the 2nd half.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Ooh, nice, another show at a venue I like close to me. Hope I'm in town for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I don't see any MA dates and that makes me sad. I really don't want to drive 4 hours to NYC, but I will if that's what it takes to see the Bandits again.