Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
It's not garbage but it's trying to recreate a passion and an urgency and that's hard to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah compare the two versions of As The Footsteps, particularly the "don't take my mother away line" and the original just sounds like this kid pouring his loving heart into what he's doing and it's wonderful

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ei_36wQjaQ
House Dekker
Two Trumpets on A Checkered Banner
Words:
"Pickitup Pickitup Pickitup"

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
June 15-19, 2016. Asian Man Records 20th Anniversary. Book your flights now, suckers.

lessthankyle fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 18, 2015

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
Why does this work so well?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MllJ94vyJko

Same guy that did the Marilyn Manson "This Is The New poo poo" video if you've seen that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjtg-2UQb2g

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
Less Than Jake and Reel Big Fish at one venue followed by Voodoo Glow Skulls at a different one tonight :circlefap::dance::fap::flashfap:

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Backno posted:

Less Than Jake and Reel Big Fish at one venue followed by Voodoo Glow Skulls at a different one tonight :circlefap::dance::fap::flashfap:

Hopefully LTJ plays first so you can leave for VGS without having to hear Beer a dozen times.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MllJ94vyJko
Officially Dying - Pack it in Ska Cover Bands...The game has oficially been won.

Battle Rockers
Aug 3, 2008

i wanna witness ur slit
Just saw VGS tonight. I'm not big on most ska punk and consequentially never really listened to these guys before but they sure put on an energetic show. Small crowd though.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

*My band* just released our first EP, which, while not really Ska, has horns and oomph, and would probably appeal to this crowd. I'd like to throw this in the Punk thread, but if I'm being honest it probably belongs here more.

You can listen here!

Hope ya'll enjoy it! If ya have any feedback, feel free to throw it at us/me. Mostly just enjoy though!

Cheers!

Also, that dog isn't photoshoped. His name is Wheels and I bought him at a local Goodwill for $5.

deadlyrhetoric posted:

is the general consensus that the re-recording by streetlight manifesto is garbage? b/c i think it is.
They're both really great. Streetlight's version is technically superior- it's tighter and has a lot more professional sound to it, I don't think anyone can argue against that. It really shines on songs like On & On & On, where Catch 22's version is just a mess.

Catch 22's album in it's sloppiness has a more... authentic(?) feel to it. It sounds like it has more heart to it, and for a few songs (Sergio!) it works well when it doesn't need to be so tight. Also, the band reading off people they'd like to thank at the end of 1,2,3,4 is just so. so. Sooo very much more fun to listen to than a robot doll out a literal manifesto on why the album was made.

EatinCake fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 7, 2015

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

EatinCake posted:

*My band* just released our first EP, which, while not really Ska, has horns and oomph, and would probably appeal to this crowd. I'd like to throw this in the Punk thread, but if I'm being honest it probably belongs here more.

You can listen here!

Hope ya'll enjoy it! If ya have any feedback, feel free to throw it at us/me. Mostly just enjoy though!

Cheers!

Also, that dog isn't photoshoped. His name is Wheels and I bought him at a local Goodwill for $5.

They're both really great. Streetlight's version is technically superior- it's tighter and has a lot more professional sound to it, I don't think anyone can argue against that. It really shines on songs like On & On & On, where Catch 22's version is just a mess.

Catch 22's album in it's sloppiness has a more... authentic(?) feel to it. It sounds like it has more heart to it, and for a few songs (Sergio!) it works well when it doesn't need to be so tight. Also, the band reading off people they'd like to thank at the end of 1,2,3,4 is just so. so. Sooo very much more fun to listen to than a robot doll out a literal manifesto on why the album was made.
Agrees with my opinions, has good music, and a kickass album cover.
Nomination for best post of the thread

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys

EatinCake posted:

I'm really digging this and I hope you guys go far with it. I definitely want to hear more.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

EatinCake posted:

You can listen here!

You had me at "folk punk". Pretty drat good dude. I'd buy a t-shirt with that dog on it.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

EatinCake posted:

You can listen here!

Cheers!

Garrick?

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Thanks for all the kind words folks. Glad ya'll are liking it.

Fateo McMurray posted:

You had me at "folk punk". Pretty drat good dude. I'd buy a t-shirt with that dog on it.

Cheers! That'll be hard for us to afford for awhile, but when we get around to having actual merchandise toon versions of him, ala' ->

will likely be available!

Nope, but that is the name of our drummer.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

EatinCake posted:

Thanks for all the kind words folks. Glad ya'll are liking it.

Cheers! That'll be hard for us to afford for awhile, but when we get around to having actual merchandise toon versions of him, ala' ->

will likely be available!

Nope, but that is the name of our drummer.

I know your drummer. I have partied with your drummer.
I might be going to one of your Madison shows soon.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
Everyone gets a title or we lose it next year

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Prod

EatinCake posted:

You can listen here!

Cheers!

This is pretty drat good. Where can I send some money so you guys can make awesome do shirts?

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

faddypaddy posted:

This is pretty drat good. Where can I send some money so you guys can make awesome do shirts?
Thanks! At the moment the albums up as a 'pay-what-you-want', so that's probably the most direct way.

mogran
Jun 25, 2011
I just discovered You By Me Vol. 2 AKA Thomas Does Your Songs Better and I really feel like we should all keep our covers of A Better Place A Better Time to ourselves.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

mogran posted:

I just discovered You By Me Vol. 2 AKA Thomas Does Your Songs Better and I really feel like we should all keep our covers of A Better Place A Better Time to ourselves.
You're not kidding. Smith's covers are nigh unlistenable- his delivery is flat, he slowed all the songs down with new rhythms for some reason, and he seems in favor of slapping random guitar lines that only kinda sorta fit.

Shantanitty Town is pretty fun tho.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

mogran posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk-xk9AWiqM

thanks for letting me know this exists.

rear end.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Bosstones are playing TT's tonight and I can't be there and I hate everything

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Fateo McMurray posted:

Bosstones are playing TT's tonight and I can't be there and I hate everything

Where is this venue? I will leave work.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

Where is this venue? I will leave work.

250 person club in Boston that sold out in minutes

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Jeff and Chris from Fake Problems have a full length Antarctigo Vespucci album coming out and there's preorders up on Really Records and it's free Wednesday.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Fateo McMurray posted:

250 person club in Boston that sold out in minutes

Their show in NYC on Wednesday was pretty great.

Also, this is a thing:
http://skayearbook.com/

I haven't gotten a chance to read through it yet, but seems like fun.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Literally The Worst posted:

Jeff and Chris from Fake Problems have a full length Antarctigo Vespucci album coming out and there's preorders up on Really Records and it's free Wednesday.

aw yiss

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

lessthankyle posted:

Their show in NYC on Wednesday was pretty great.

....what?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I
I lied it's Friday

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

EatinCake posted:

You're not kidding. Smith's covers are nigh unlistenable- his delivery is flat, he slowed all the songs down with new rhythms for some reason, and he seems in favor of slapping random guitar lines that only kinda sorta fit.

Shantanitty Town is pretty fun tho.

I like Sycamore's Hands that Thieve, but otherwise agree. He's one of those artists that really leans heavily on how words sound over strict meaning (see the fantastic Bastogne), so I don't really think he works as a cover artist - he's looking for help from the interplay of syllables that just aren't there in other peoples songs.

In ska news, Oreskaband is playing in NYC Thursday, July 30th. I'm nowhere near it but NYC goons should check it out for sure.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

hito posted:

In ska news, Oreskaband is playing in NYC Thursday, July 30th. I'm nowhere near it but NYC goons should check it out for sure.

http://www.oreskaband.com/live/

Am I right in seeing that their shows are 3-5 bucks in Japan? Cause if so, I'm totally flying out for one.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

http://www.oreskaband.com/live/

Am I right in seeing that their shows are 3-5 bucks in Japan? Cause if so, I'm totally flying out for one.

While you would benefit from the massive plummet the the Japanese Yen has taken, it's still about 125 yen to the dollar, so their shows are in the $20-40 range, it seems.

e: I hate to say it but between Oreskaband and Yum! Yum! Orange I very quickly burned myself out on ultra-squeaky female-singer J-ska.
TSPO, on the other hand, I would do awful things to see live.

HisFlyingFingers
Jan 7, 2006

*~Weekend Lovers~*
Anybody else going to Midwest Ska Fest (Chicago, August 8)? Lots of fantastic bands you've probably never heard of, unless you're super tapped into the Great-Lakes-area ska scene.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

HisFlyingFingers posted:

Anybody else going to Midwest Ska Fest (Chicago, August 8)? Lots of fantastic bands you've probably never heard of, unless you're super tapped into the Great-Lakes-area ska scene.

I might head down from Milwaukee if I can get off of work.

But, I can guarantee you I will be here. On the off chance any of you want to do a goonmeet.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

You guys probably all know about this already but after listening to Reel Big Fish's Drunk Again for the millionth time I finally decided to look up projects where Scott was the singer.

I found The Littlest Man Band. Here is a sample. https://youtu.be/pNb9zujmof8

That man has an amazing voice.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

LMB is amazing and I every time I listen to Better Book Ends I get mad that there isn't more

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
There's this

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB1C5DFC06FD2E7A9

and these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHdUaxsccTo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dexjYDtdqD8

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Got to see Jeff last night in Kansas City.
poo poo was awesome one of the best shows ive been to in a long time!

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Shows are all ages. Tickets go on sale Saturday, September 12 at 10am EST via Ticketmaster

12/26
The Mighty Mighty BossToneS
The Neighborhoods
The Upper Crust

12/27
The Real Kids
The Queers

12/28
The Outlets
Stranglehold